• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to overtake PS4 in US by 2015, says analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DRM and Kinect removal weren't mere missteps, they were core tenets of The XB1's original product vision. MS reacted to the negative reception quickly alright, and that has given the impression they don't have a solid vision and plan for their console. That most definitely implies they don't have confidence in it, from the point of view of a consumer choosing between competitors. MS is in a tough spot where they're going to get heat no matter what they do, but this is the reality of their situation. I disagree that what they're doing deserves praise of any kind - they put themselves there. If you're a fan of Xbox then it's understandable you'd cheer for them like a sports team, but an outsider sees it more as a scramble to avoid disaster. This may change as time goes on and MS proves it has a solid plan for the XB1 with good support, but as of now their image is far from positive in the public eye.

This. Oh so this.

Confidence in your product is when you don't have to completely change its focus and vision. That means having a solid plan from the start and following through. MS had that with their original vision, but having reversed it entirely to the point that there's a Kinect-less SKU, there is no longer any reason to trust that the XB1 is a console that has had a consistent and thought-out design. They were between a rock and a hard place - follow through with their massively unpopular vision, or 180 everything and be seen as not knowing what they're doing. Arguably, they're taking the path of lesser evil.

Think of it this way: as a consumer choosing between two consoles and having no preexisting bias towards the companies that make them or the current offerings for each system, would you feel the XB1 has confidence behind it knowing the events that have occurred over the past year? Compared to the PS4 which has been consistent in both its purpose and audience from its unveiling. I'm not saying this to slight MS, I'm saying it to show the reality that they're in. They have an uphill battle to wage.

lol

So throw everything out about both consoles except for the fact that you can buy an Xbox One without kinect and there is no drm, although there was before. Forget the content! Focus on those two things.

Hmm...yeah, okay. GREAT argument there!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Your standards are so very, very stringent. I find that so very, very interesting. lol

Do you require the official title of the game? Does it need to have a box art in order for you to qualify it for your list?

Criteria:

a. Has an official announcement
b. Has been officially announced as a 2014 title

The five games on my list all fulfill those two criteria. It's the basic criteria to prevent fictional lists. Both sides can claim various confirmations. All the DemonNites, Nelsons of various military ranks, Tiduxes, Mortimers of various fame and talking parrots are just amusement for the masses. I treat them as such.

Fredrik

Now that the bomb has been prematurely dropped before E3 I expect Sony to one up MS yet again at their press conference - PS4, $299.
In that case, no mr analyst.

Now that the bomb has been prematurely dropped before E3 I expect Sony to one up MS yet again at their press conference - PS4, $299.
In that case, no mr analyst.

Sony is in no position to be cutting prices on anything right now, they're hemorrhaging cash as a company and have barely present profit margins

Zen

Banned
You really do not see how the core identity of the Xbox One as the arrival of what would almost be a digital only platform, with tight content restrictions, and it being a media hub box that plays games has not been taken out back and shot?

Criteria:

a. Has an official announcement
b. Has been officially announced as a 2014 title

The five games on my list all fulfill those two criteria. It's the basic criteria to prevent fictional lists. Both sides can claim various confirmations. All the DemonNites, Nelsons of various military ranks, Tiduxes, Mortimers of various fame and talking parrots are just amusement for the masses. I treat them as such.

You should also add the voice actors working on the game, Microsoft PR, as well as spokespeople for car manufacturers to your list, since you've thrown out statements from all those people as well. They're just the same as random internet insiders in your books. Good to know.

It has given you the impression that they don't have a solid vision. You don't speak for everyone. For many it shows that Microsoft has listened to their concerns about the system and have remedied those concerns. Microsoft is going to get heat form people like you that have such a negative outlook, but again, you don't speak for everyone.

Don't forget, the Xbox 360 was the market leader in the US last gen. There are still countless people sitting on the fence, and this price drop may be the thing they needed to jump in.

You're obviously not an outsider. You post on neogaf. Do not pretend to be an unbiased console warrior; you're not.

And PS2 was the market leader before that and it got them no where .
They are people sitting on the fence but MS has no advantages they had last gen and other factors also come into play .

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps some people will look at this quick price drop as a reason to continue holding off on a purchase until it drops in price AGAIN. Damned if you drop it too quickly, damned if you wait too long.

MogCakes

It has given you the impression that they don't have a solid vision. You don't speak for everyone. For many it shows that Microsoft has listened to their concerns about the system and have remedied those concerns. Microsoft is going to get heat form people like you that have such a negative outlook, but again, you don't speak for everyone.

Don't forget, the Xbox 360 was the market leader in the US last gen. There are still countless people sitting on the fence, and this price drop may be the thing they needed to jump in.

You're obviously not an outsider. You post on neogaf. Do not pretend to be an unbiased console warrior; you're not.

So because I post on GAF I'm inherently biased; right. Lol. -Many- people have the impression that MS doesn't know what it's doing with the XB1, not just me. Take a look around you; around GAF, around the various gaming news/enthusiast sites, around the internet in general. There is absolutely a stigma attached to having done such a huge reversal of policy and product vision. Don't forget, Playstation was the market leader for two generations, and that didn't stop the PS3 from being an initial disaster. Brand name means little in the age of fast communication and dissemination of info. I'm not being a negative nancy, MS is doing well with the XB1 sales wise and they've managed to avoid it being utterly destroyed in sales, but they've got a ways to go (and time to wait) before their product image becomes positive.

Last, it might behoove you not to try and paint me as a fanboy of any one platform. You can check my post history if you like. That accusation won't do you any good.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This thread is terrible. That includes you, the person who posted in this thread and is currently thinking, "Well, ModBot is just talking about the other guy, not me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom