• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One | Understanding Microsoft's Cloud claims | Tech panel and ArsTech article

WoolyNinja

Cloud computing is not an MS thing. Anybody can use cloud computing today. Making network calls to a server has been around for years. Server farms have been around for years.

I don't understand why Microsoft keeps pushing this as a unique feature.

oVerde

Banned
It's not prebaking when it is being calculated in real time

You take grey scale images which compress extremely well and apply them to textures

May be a couple frames off or so but for GI? It's great stuff.

Also other things handled by cloud... Foliage :)

Environmental stuff can be far more powerful, other things that can have plenty of beneficial are special effects of any kind, cutscenes, and gaming calculations towards your player indirectly like mob moving enemies, wind, any calculations non-millisecond input sensitive, lovely waterfalls flowing anyone?

Details, games can have far more details and offload it from the hardware, just it.

This is HOW it works, it's on Microsoft's hands to make good use of it.

Cloud computing is not an MS thing. Anybody can use cloud computing today. Making network calls to a server has been around for years. Server farms have been around for years.

I don't understand why Microsoft keeps pushing this as a unique feature.

The API for developers to squeeze the most of its potentials, no one likes to code from scratch everything, this is why gaming engine market is so profitable.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
what they claim is when connected to cloud, the game will be prettier, and game still perfectly playable when offline, I cannot see how is that DRm

That was the exact same claim made for simcity, that calculations HAD to be done on a cloud server so that the system requirements are lower. IT turned out that the entire game could be played offline due to a hacker. Not hard to see why people are skeptical.

grumble

what they claim is when connected to cloud, the game will be prettier, and game still perfectly playable when offline, I cannot see how is that DRm

It is possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. You'd need an unusually powerful connection and it would have limited uses...

What I'm interested in is the persistent world and interactive sharing stuff. Like demon's souls on steroids or something.

This is just drm to me though.

abic

Banned
This form of cloud isn't anything unique to Xbox, any platform anywhere in the world can do the same:

PS4
Wii U
PC

All can use latency insensitive cloud computing, to the same degree.

There is nothing here that gives XBONE an edge.

wasn't that the same thing that EA was telling people for why SimCity needs to be always connected and it turned out that you can do it without problems in offline?

Environmental stuff can be far more powerful, other things that can have plenty of beneficial are special effects of any kind, cutscenes, and gaming calculations towards your player indirectly like mob moving enemies, wind, any calculations non-millisecond input sensitive, lovely waterfalls flowing anyone?

Details, games can have far more details and offload it from the hardware, just it.

This is HOW it works, it's on Microsoft's hands to make good use of it.

Does that means that Microsoft can offer huge ass open worlds but keep the graphics at a very high level?

bbjvc

That was the exact same claim made for simcity, that calculations HAD to be done on a cloud server so that the system requirements are lower. IT turned out that the entire game could be played offline due to a hacker. Not hard to see why people are skeptical.

Simcity claim it works offline?

werks

Banned
I'm not a hardware engineer or anything but maybe they should have made the Xbox more powerful instead of claiming they are going to have all this computation power available in the cloud.how do you support a game that sells a couple of million copies the first month,have 3x the servers up? Bullshit.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They're talking about how they could do all of this pre-calculation of lighting and other things in the cloud, things that aren't going to be impacted by lag, as reasons for having always-on.

What I want to know is why this is any different from doing pre-calculation of that kind of information before the information is pressed to the disc?

I mean it sounds to me like they're saying "we can bake your lighting while your level loads so it's more awesome thanks to the cloud!" because if it's not real-time, frame by frame lighting, isn't it baked lighting? Haven't we been doing baked lighting forever?

I'm ignorant, though, and incredibly, spitfoamingly anti-anti-consumer. Educate me.

They aren't pre calculating

The game connects to a cluster of servers and they do heavy operations there and send info back and forth in between the X1.

It's like having a massive CPU with a small high latency link in between it

WoolyNinja

They're talking about how they could do all of this pre-calculation of lighting and other things in the cloud, things that aren't going to be impacted by lag, as reasons for having always-on.

What I want to know is why this is any different from doing pre-calculation of that kind of information before the information is pressed to the disc?

I mean it sounds to me like they're saying "we can bake your lighting while your level loads so it's more awesome thanks to the cloud!" because if it's not real-time, frame by frame lighting, isn't it baked lighting? Haven't we been doing baked lighting forever?

I'm ignorant, though, and incredibly, spitfoamingly anti-anti-consumer. Educate me.

How can lighting be pre-calculated? That makes no sense to me? How does it know which direction I'll be facing by the time the response is sent back from the "cloud"?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just not going to happen. We aren't going to get games w/ the tagline "you must have a X Mbit connection in order to play this game's single player mode" This type of stuff is entirely dependent on the connection of the user.

Will require a ton of coding to account for variances in connections, and devs will just deem it not worth the extra effort to do so. Just like most multiplatform games, they will go for the lowest common denominator when developing a game.

That's my prediction.

Not just a prediction, common sense. It's what will happen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I will stick to my opinions as I commented in the other thread but this stuff is PR fluff. At least the 40x claim.

USC-fan

Banned
They said 40x Xbox 360 FYI

They say one is 10x 360

So that would mean that one in your home and 3 in the cloud equals 40x 360

Is simple math really that difficult

Oh that is how its work. lol but it s the cloud its infinite!!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!221231!!!!

Crazy you can use that much power through a laggy 2.5MB/s connection... lol

It just them trying to push always online console.

tenchir

They aren't pre calculating

The game connects to a cluster of servers and they do heavy operations there and send info back and forth in between the X1.

It's like having a massive CPU with a small high latency link in between it

What's the minimum internet connection bandwidth needed to actually take advantage of cloud computing anyway?

DopeyFish

How can lighting be pre-calculated? That makes no sense to me? How does it know which direction I'll be facing by the time the response is sent back from the "cloud"?

Sending light maps for textures

Won't be handling reflected or refracted light.

What's the minimum internet connection bandwidth needed to actually take advantage of cloud computing anyway?

Depends on the intended use

nib95

Banned
One thing is for sure, if both consoles release, and PS4 games continually end up looking better, Microsoft will find it hard to live down these sorts of claims.

What they are proposing is a logistical and technical nightmare. Potentially considerably complicating the development pipeline further, but that's just my opinion. To me, they would be better suited to just using those servers to offer dedicated servers (which I think they are) for low latency advantages in ping, less lag in online games, bigger maps, more players etc.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

It definitely seems that way to me. Rendering, in the end, HAS to be one locally. People saying this could be used to render foliage is insane, even if the foliage cannot be interacted with. The system still has to update every frame of the foliage locally because the player and camera is changing. When you change perspective when looking at foliage, the frame has to change and that has to be calculated in less than 33.3ms, no way around that. The cloud is more accurately, is a system to send you prebaked data that can be updated in the regime of 100 to 200 ms. I just find it difficult to imagine that this is hugely advantageous to simply including prebaked data on the disc. There may be some advantages, of course, I just don't see it having a huge effect.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Maybe if they didn't spend money on Kinect, and extra non gaming features they could have better tech thus negating the need for the cloud. The cloud just adds another layer of DRM and shit that could go wrong. If your game needs needs to offload data because the system can't handle it, you're doing it wrong.

calder

Hm. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not an unreasonable stance IMO. I'll admit it certainly possible MS has the infrastructure and resources to figure out a cool solution for offloading some of the gaming load to remote servers but its all very vague so far.

The fact that their initial discussions about it were so long-term and generic make me think its's not something we'll be seeing for a while. And maybe it's something that never really works out... wait and see is the order of the day for me.

WoolyNinja

Sending light maps for textures

Won't be handling reflected or refracted light.

What's the benefit of doing that in the cloud? Wouldn't light maps for textures that won't change based on user interactions be something that could just be loaded in the background on the system? I thought that stuff was very non-processor intensive overall?

charsace

One thing is for sure, if both consoles release, and PS4 games continually end up looking better, Microsoft will find it hard to live down these sorts of claims.

What they are proposing is a logistical and technical nightmare. Seems to be complicating the development pipeline further, but that's just my opinion. To me, they would be better suited to just using those servers to offer dedicated servers (which I think they are) for low latency advantages in ping, less lag in online games, bigger maps, more players etc.

They have already said games will have dedicated servers.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
People are actually starting to believe this BS?

seriously?

seriously?!

Do we have any concrete reason not to right now? Jumping to conclusions one way or the other is fucking dumb.

DopeyFish

What's the benefit of doing that in the cloud? Wouldn't light maps for textures that won't change based on user interactions be something that could just be loaded in the background on the system? I thought that stuff was very non-processor intensive overall?

GI is very intensive, for example

so they can do reflected light for fixed position lights

especially in a game where you have day/night cycles this could be very useful

They should be toting that line stronger, not saying the system will be 40x more powerful vs the 360 with the cloud ....

i agree, it's also partly because people not exactly understanding what it is MS is selling. (which GAF today has more than proved the general populace don't understand the concept)

Cidd

What they are proposing is a logistical and technical nightmare. To me, they would be better suited to just using those servers to offer dedicated servers (which I think they are) for low latency advantages in ping, less lag in online games, bigger maps, more players etc.

That's what it's all going to turn out to be nothing but dedicated gaming servers, MS is known for over promising and under delivering. Anyone who believe this "Infinite power of the Cloud" nonsense are in for rude awakening.

i-Lo

What they are proposing is a logistical and technical nightmare. Seems to be complicating the development pipeline further, but that's just my opinion. To me, they would be better suited to just using those servers to offer dedicated servers (which I think they are) for low latency advantages in ping, less lag in online games, bigger maps, more players etc.

Above everything, it'll all be about consistency across a varied set of speed and ping rate. And equally importantly, just how many third parties do they really expect to invest their time in creating bespoke pieces of information for a fragmented userbase?

ShowDog

I cannot understand why a latency insensitive computation wouldn't already be calculated on the massive Bluray disc rather than being done over and over on the cloud for no reason.

Jtrizzy

Have there been any comments on twitter etc regarding this? I want to believe but why not at least show some bs target renders or something if its going to be such a boost. It's hard to over state how unimpressive COD , Forza, and the sports games were but I guess all we can do is wait for E3 and hope they show something truly next gen.

WoolyNinja

Anyone that has even a small understanding of cloud architecture would know these things are possible, but on GAF it gets lost in all of the fanboy drivel.

Anyone that has even a small understanding of cloud architecture over the current internet would know these things are not possible

fertygo

Damn, my side hurt...
Yeah internet connection can turn my console to super computer, looool

Maybe, just maybe its can help render detail thing like.. cloud, but that its.
Its wouldn't suddenly turn your game like in highest setting of $2000+ PC

artist

Banned
Its not really bullshit, he's just emphasizing how much computational power relative to one console

He could have said hundreds.

I assume though when he says 3, that may imply there's a 3-4 TF limit per session as its developer handled
3-4 TeraFlops? Holy mother of ..

oVerde

Banned

Ambient light and shadows are still lighting, even with day phases it can be pre-calculated.

Top Bottom