• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Removes Yearly XBL Gold Subscription | Is Free Multiplayer Coming?

Is Free Multiplayer Coming to Xbox?

• Yes

Votes: 101 28.9%
  • No Way

Votes: 249 71.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

keram

So they will replace the general online multiplayer paywall by offering GASS, where you will need to pay monthly subscription for each single game in order to be able to play it in multiplayer mode?

Yes, this is 4 the players !!!

1gbvn9.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
The idea would be converting them to GP with their remaining gold subscription to give them a taste imo and hope they don't cancel.
A person could get US$60 games every week they could, and those are not really the market for GamePass.
A person could get US$60 from time to time, and those work with GamePass.
A person who has more time and less money work with GamePass.

Options, man. It's good to have.

Also, Games with Gold will be cancelled, and paying just for online should be Nintendo Online level of price tops. Make online for free, like PC always have been, and GamePass as the charging thing, is the best choice
To be fair though, if online is only free on one console, then a lot of those casual players flock over to that system, and even doubly so if the base price is cheaper (and with Lockhart, that is a guarantee). If they buy the game digitally, then MS makes more money. If they buy any map packs/microtransactions (which they always do), then that's more money for MS.

It's a question of whether the short term loss will be outweighed by the positives it brings (better image in eyes of consumer, more consumers in the eco-system, more people willing to try the other services etc). Saying it's a massive revenue loss for Microsoft is all relative, and it's not like Microsoft can't take the short term loss either
Do you?

You are arguing about a subscription based service that is on one of their products (xbox) which has a much lower ROI than their other service, Game Pass, which has not only wider appeal but a wider audience potential.

You will never get someone to pay for Gold on PC. It will never happen. You can't grow you eco system with services that are on one platform but impossible to sell to another. Removing the barrier not only gets more people into your eco system and playing games that are FTP, like Fortnite (you might have heard of it) which will net you more money in micro transactions but also get people to look at your service which has a higher ROI with more potential streams of revenue since they are playing games on your service which can lead to even more money being spent on things like DLC.

So yeah, I would say looking at getting more customers in and having them spend more while also getting a PR boost over the competition which adopted their model simply because they could is in the cards.

But hey, keep trying to feel superior and talking down to people.
Based on what? Again, you are thinking in terms of one type of customer. The Fifa COD customer. Those are not the only customers Microsoft has. Its all about ROI,ROE and eco systems. Barriers into your eco system hurt ROE. PC matters because GP is on console and PC.
I mean, the reality is that neither of us are qualified enough to say anything because we don't know the numbers behind the Xbox Division nor how quickly their other services such as Game Pass Ultimate have grown. There are multiple possible outcomes to them removing paid online, and a loss of that size is still relative to how quickly everything else grows

So can all you guys admit you were delusional and have no business prospects and lack basic maths to realise it would be highly stupid for Microsoft to give away Gold for free. From this event they showed Phantasy Star Online a F2P game that required Gold which shows they not giving Gold away for free in fact taking away a year gold means that it's a inderect price hike from $60 a year to $100 a year. The fact that there are people in this forum who actually believe this could happen and Microsoft are kind and generous or they will make more money not charging for Gold is hilarious. How can I have a serious discussion about gaming with anyone here if you are that deluded.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So can all you guys admit you were delusional and have no business prospects and lack basic maths to realise it would be highly stupid for Microsoft to give away Gold for free. From this event they showed Phantasy Star Online a F2P game that required Gold which shows they not giving Gold away for free in fact taking away a year gold means that it's a inderect price hike from $60 a year to $100 a year. The fact that there are people in this forum who actually believe this could happen and Microsoft are kind and generous or they will make more money not charging for Gold is hilarious. How can I have a serious discussion about gaming with anyone here if you are that deluded.

Yeah sure. Whatever floats your boat.

killatopak

Gold Member
From what I’ve heard, I think it’s better to hold your horses until the MS service event next month apparently. They might announce why they limited it to 3 months for now.

No need to jump the gun.

KAL2006

Banned
From what I’ve heard, I think it’s better to hold your horses until the MS service event next month apparently. They might announce why they limited it to 3 months for now.

No need to jump the gun.

We shall see but is very strange to list requires Gold in Phantasy Star Online trailer for Series X. If they were not planning to keep Gold around why even bother to have that there.

killatopak

Gold Member
We shall see but is very strange to list requires Gold in Phantasy Star Online trailer for Series X. If they were not planning to keep Gold around why even bother to have that there.
My theory is they’re planning to combine Live and Gamepass. It’s just that there are people that are subscribed to Gold for years to come. They can’t exactly say the new name of the the combined service without spoiling it before the service event.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Did you not see Phantasy Star trailer a F2P game coming to Series X right under the title banner it states required Gold. Why state this if they are planning to remove Gold by the time Series X releases.

Wouldn't that make your speculation of Gold being free obeselete if they already advertising a F2P game requires Gold on Series X.

I never once claimed this was a for sure thing happening. You were the one claiming its impossible based on numbers and then proceeded to act like a self indulgent wiener know it all. I intelligently engaged in debate with conversation about ROE and ROI to which you never replied to and tried to steer the conversation away.

And now you are calling me delusional and ask why you should even engage with such posters as myself, yet you felt the need to bring up a conversation thats over 4 days old?

Trying to gain a "victory" based on a trailer saying a game requires gold and, which it would considering the announcement if its happening has not yet been made of gold being dropped, is pretty petty but to each their own. So sure, you win for now. Good for you. Now since I am so delusional and apparently so much that you cant have a conversation with me, go away.

Last edited:
They are not going to make MP gaming free that's their bread and butter, it may be combined with GP but the prices are going to be combined. They are the first company to charge for online MP, do you really think they'll stop that now? If it wasn't for XBLG they would have left the console market years ago.

CitizenX

Banned
They are not going to make MP gaming free that's their bread and butter, it may be combined with GP but the prices are going to be combined. They are the first company to charge for online MP, do you really think they'll stop that now? If it wasn't for XBLG they would have left the console market years ago.

Facts and really, they would be DOA if they also did not go multiplat which is where i see them in 2-3 yrs if the X fails expectations. they are making $$$ not doing anything and they could make a ton more just being a publisher.

Great Hair

Banned
*Xbox Live Gold Required for Online Multiplayer
CrossFire X Campaign as a console launch exclusive for Xbox Series X and Xbox One. It’s worth noting that Xbox Game Pass subscribers will not be able to play it for free at launch. Only the multiplayer part of the game will be available through Game Pass.

Kerotan

Xbox gold would be the most profitable aspect of Xbox overall. They'll include it with ultimate and possibly increase the price.

ZywyPL

Banned
If Gold is indeed going free, I wonder what will happen with all the people who bought it for years in advance, will they get a refund? Or will that transform into GP subscription? Interesting.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
If Gold is indeed going free, I wonder what will happen with all the people who bought it for years in advance, will they get a refund? Or will that transform into GP subscription? Interesting.
It will transform into Game Pass.

Kerotan

The Xbone was $100 more expensive than PS4, had a terrible E3 at the hands of Mattrick, and fewer exclusives than the 360. This time there will be more exclusives, it will come in at the same price as PS5, have a cheaper model for the casuals(XSS), will launch with a Halo, and will be launching with Game Pass. There is just no way.

All of the screw ups and it still sold well and has been selling out during this quarantine. 50 million is still great even if PS4 ran away with the win. Xbox will do just fine. More than fine next gen.
There's no evidence their exclusives will dramatically improve. Halo their flagship is flopping based on current mass market reaction and lack of impact. There will prob only be 1 halo, Forza, Gears, fable etc this gen id say as they all embrace GAAS. Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo will continue their strategy of pumping out stellar AAA exclusives.

And like this gen Switch and PlayStation will brutally dominate consoles sales. Very few will choose xbox when all their friends are on playstation or switching to it. The console war is over.
Microsoft also has to pay for those free games you get every month.
I did say was and before they didn't give any games away until Sony forced with plus free games.

But even after that it wouldn't only be a small % of their monthly revenue. Ps plus sky rocketed this gen and I'd say gold plummeted compared to plus. MS would love to have a huge gold subscriber bass because that model is a gold mine. Unfortunately Sony stole their thunder and now it will prob be thrown in with GP.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member
Remember when people didn't use logic and thought Gold will be free and now Microsoft nearly doubling the price of Gold.
My guess is they postponed it due to Halo Infinite delay. Since Halo Infinite multiplayer is going to be free it seemed like this would have tied in to that.

My guess is they postponed it due to Halo Infinite delay. Since Halo Infinite multiplayer is going to be free it seemed like this would have tied in to that.

You know that MS is treating Fortnite, Apex, COD as F2P games even though XBL is required. Same can be said for Halo Infinite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom