• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Xbox Series consoles have sold less in the same timeframe as XB1" Really?

GrayFoxPL

Judging by vga chartz:

Good:
AgNUk73.jpg

Not so good:
bGzVaTO.jpg

Three

Fanboys will blame covid for lack of game releases (even when others and third party had less problems) but not for the higher sales of consoles compared to last gen. It's a known fact that Covid helped console sales this gen.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
By the end of the year e know. Either way, probably sold less because got manufactured less

GHG

Gold Member
Would be the least surprising thing ever considering the brand has come into this generation with less momentum than they had when there was the transition between the 360-Xbox One generation.

Stuart360 Stuart360 Why does it matter anyway? I thought you were a PC gamer?

yazenov

Would be the least surprising thing ever considering the brand has come into this generation with less momentum than they had when there was the transition between the 360-Xbox One generation.

Stuart360 Stuart360 Why does it matter anyway? I thought you were a PC gamer?

Xbox fanboys hiding and claiming to be PC gamers is nothing new. There was alot of them during the Xbox one days when it got rough for them.

John Wick

LGQQygI.jpg
upNERUl.jpg

After someone here claimed that series X were available sitting on store shelves last week, I went and looked around ebay.

It's from last week, and you can see in the search that it's just the series X, but the number of available results is pretty drastic. With prices being pretty similar.
You'll find Series S consoles on shelves. No chance of SX or PS5.

Azurro

Banned
Here in the UK you can buy a series S right now. Microsoft shut themselves in the foot by limiting series X production.

In Czechia where I live, you can get a Series S right now in the biggest online retailer, and get a Series X by May, while the PS5 just says "Preorder now", the PS5 has sold out of every production run instantly since launch. I'd say the PS5 demand is quite a bit higher than Xbox, but I guess that's par for the course in Europe.

thelastword

Banned
Having Deja Vu with MS marketing. Got to give it to them, they do equip all their influencers with all the proper replies that are repeated whenever they seem in the weaker position.
"console sales don't matter MAU does!"
"first to 10 million"
"Doesnt count! sold to scalpers not users!"
"game pass game pass"
"Not full RDNA"
"Supply! none in my area"
"Demand is the same as PS5, just not enough in the market!"

Since revenue for the main corporations I am guessing doesn't matter, the end game would be, what is the healthier platform where in publishers are willing to take more risk and get more return? and no matter what mental gymnastics some people genuinely believe, trolls, fake paid actors, the fact of the matter is we all know who is the market leader and has mindshare. Despite not having SFS and built in ML. :)
Post of the year right there...I call it POTY...

Papacheeks

Banned
Are people forgetting the excellent Xbox One launch line-up? Hardly surprising it sold better.

No bullshit, I ragged on Xbox because of the dumb PR before E3. But when you can now clearly look back since it was 7-8 years ago. It's hard to argue who had better software for the first 6-12 months. When you add titanfall, sunset overdrive that released in spring of 2014. Hard to say that PS4 at the same time frame had the better lineup. Especially when you had forza, killer instinct, and dead rising all as launch titles.

Followed by decent games like Ryse, and bangers like titanfall in spring.

Now it's the opposite and Xbox is in a much better place PR/BRAND wise, and unless your gaming habits lineup with gamepass for new next gen games there's not a lot so far on series x/s. 2021 slate alone even with delays Sony has a lot of big releases.

Word is still out on how good they are though.

Here in the UK you can buy a series S right now. Microsoft shut themselves in the foot by limiting series X production.
Edit: Looks like they are just starting to come back in stock now. Been OOS for several weeks

Last edited:
I’m thinking Microsoft might not be too pleased with the Series S/X sales because they are still hiding their numbers for whatever reason. If what I heard was legitimate, they didn’t seem too bad even in comparison to PS5 especially considering there are shortages.

thelastword

Banned
Xbox fanboys hiding and claiming to be PC gamers is nothing new. There was alot of them during the Xbox one days when it got rough for them.
The thing is being an XBOX fan means you don't even have to own an XBOX anymore....All XBOX ware are available on PC day 1 or on gamepass day 1. The predicament is XBOX has not been sharing numbers for years, but they did do share numbers when they were selling consoles and third party software and DLC out the wazoo in the 360 days......Yet here, they are in a situation where XBOX hardware sales are not being officially revealed and that's clearly for a reason, it's because it's just not selling as much as the competition, so they don't want to be seen in a bad light. At MS it's the typical, everything is fine, everything is great with our sales, we're doing great MAU's at MS's game division in a chemical-ali.gif style.

In the here and now. MS's newly acquired/pronounced prized bull champion "gamepass" is pegged as the new paradigm for gaming across all devices and occasionally MS will publish gamepass users at 5-10-18 million, but never publish how much is being made by it, how many of these users are active, how many of these users are actively paying $15 per month, how much dlc are gamepass users buying, how many games do they play per month on the service. So it's a situation where MS is mum on both hardware sales and services profitability and user engagement per game. So it's clearly a case of underperformance glistened with honey PR......I'm sure in the last couple of years MS marketing will tell you, who needs numbers, you don't need to know that. Yet the absence of numbers or it's relevance is only when those numbers are floundering....It's similar to review scores, many bad Meta scores last gen and those numbers didn't matter either (you are having fun right).....So it's not hard at all to decipher MS's real performance vs their marketing.....It's like the guy saying he is dating Halle Berry, but you've never seen him with her in the neighborhood, clearly you would want to flaunt that....Yet in the absence of data, all you have is PR, most likely to make it sound better than it actually is, because real numbers would be tangible, could not be argued and have the opposite effect..

In Czechia where I live, you can get a Series S right now in the biggest online retailer, and get a Series X by May, while the PS5 just says "Preorder now", the PS5 has sold out of every production run instantly since launch. I'd say the PS5 demand is quite a bit higher than Xbox, but I guess that's par for the course in Europe.

Jeez I thought you Czechians were made of sterner stuff. Why would you guys want a console full of weeb games like Persona and Dragon Quest when you can play proper manly games like Forza Horizon and Gears of War on a pure American made device built with quality in mind for your entertainment pleasure? What happened over there?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
if ps5 demand wasnt higher than series x there is a major, major issue and Sony must have fucked up in one year lol!

Jeez I thought you Czechians were made of sterner stuff. Why would you guys want a console full of weeb games like Persona and Dragon Quest when you can play proper manly games like Forza Horizon and Gears of War on a pure American made device built with quality in mind for your entertainment pleasure? What happened over there?
Is this for real? 🤔🤔

Animagic

Banned
This is something i have seen posted numerous times by different people in random threads on here over the last few weeks. Just saw it again now.

Have i missed some news or something?. I'm guessing so as people wouldnt be saying it if something hasnt been said somewhere.
So what have i missed?.

1. If Microsoft isnt revealing sales numbers, how do we know this.

2. Even if it WAS true, wouldnt the console shortages have something to do with that?, especially when it comes to XSX. I mean thats all we hear about in regards to PS5.

3. Is it just console warring?

Discuss. :messenger_neutral:
It’s console war bs

if ps5 demand wasnt higher than series x there is a major, major issue and Sony must have fucked up in one year lol!

I think at this point we don't have a good idea of what the demand is due to the lack of supply. Once we see units sitting on the shelves then we will have a much better idea of what it's like.

Still it's 2 vs 1 at this point. That's something to consider.

Ten_Fold

Console warring. Which, as a grown man I don’t understand. Back in the day when you’re a kid with limited funds you bash the other side because your folks said it was either a SNES or Genesis. To see a grown ass man console warring.... fucking pathetic.
Yeah I just buy all 3, whatever becomes me main is just based off what I enjoy. It’s funny seeing people cry and complain about some competition.

The thing is being an XBOX fan means you don't even have to own an XBOX anymore....All XBOX ware are available on PC day 1 or on gamepass day 1. The predicament is XBOX has not been sharing numbers for years, but they did do share numbers when they were selling consoles and third party software and DLC out the wazoo in the 360 days......Yet here, they are in a situation where XBOX hardware sales are not being officially revealed and that's clearly for a reason, it's because it's just not selling as much as the competition, so they don't want to be seen in a bad light. At MS it's the typical, everything is fine, everything is great with our sales, we're doing great MAU's at MS's game division in a chemical-ali.gif style.

In the here and now. MS's newly acquired/pronounced prized bull champion "gamepass" is pegged as the new paradigm for gaming across all devices and occasionally MS will publish gamepass users at 5-10-18 million, but never publish how much is being made by it, how many of these users are active, how many of these users are actively paying $15 per month, how much dlc are gamepass users buying, how many games do they play per month on the service. So it's a situation where MS is mum on both hardware sales and services profitability and user engagement per game. So it's clearly a case of underperformance glistened with honey PR......I'm sure in the last couple of years MS marketing will tell you, who needs numbers, you don't need to know that. Yet the absence of numbers or it's relevance is only when those numbers are floundering....It's similar to review scores, many bad Meta scores last gen and those numbers didn't matter either (you are having fun right).....So it's not hard at all to decipher MS's real performance vs their marketing.....It's like the guy saying he is dating Halle Berry, but you've never seen him with her in the neighborhood, clearly you would want to flaunt that....Yet in the absence of data, all you have is PR, most likely to make it sound better than it actually is, because real numbers would be tangible, could not be argued and have the opposite effect..
Why type all of that just to be wrong? Do you actually believe all that fud you just posted in your imagination, or are you simply console warring? If it's just warring, why repeatedly reference MS as a whole that apparently hides sales figures because they're bad. You're not even adept enough to pretend it's only Xbox that can't make money, but the entirety of MS. How terribly detached from reality one must be to make that claim when everyone here knows for a verifiable fact that MS is literally the wealthiest and financially secure and stable company on the planet. Yet here you are claiming it's really just all smoke and mirrors.

If MS released figures for the number of surface products they sold, or some other similar hardware, and it was just Xbox they didn't report on maybe you'd be onto something... But they don't, so your argument shall remain moot.

The series X still sells out within minutes everytime, so even if it has sold less than xbone that doesn't mean the demand for the series x isn't higher.

Azurro

Banned

Well, you'll have to ask a Czech person, I just work here. ;)

Bryank75

Banned
Found it.

TSMC/AMD allocated for Q4 80k Wafer for PS5 and 40k Wafer for Series X|S.

Making a correction on my previous post... you have more PS5 chips than Series X chips per Wafer but you have even more Series S chips per Wafer.... we don’t have any ideia how many Wafers MS uses for X or S.

Even so Sony had the double of Wafer to make chips than MS for Q4.

I wonder how many GPU's you can get out of a wafer on average these days...

DaGwaphics

Clearly, the demand for Serie S is lower than for Series X, it sells not badly, but they probably have sold more Series S than they should have sold Series X from these wafers. There is also many chances that the cost production losses are really lower than X (+ only digital) and for MS that is better to sell S from a financial point of view.

If it's true that they got less wafers from AMD than Sony (which could could certainly be true give the production numbers of PS4), that combined with a bigger APU would have probably resulted in a lot less consoles available without the S. At least that tiny APU in the S would help to balance things out.

Andodalf

Banned
I’m thinking Microsoft might not be too pleased with the Series S/X sales because they are still hiding their numbers for whatever reason. If what I heard was legitimate, they didn’t seem too bad even in comparison to PS5 especially considering there are shortages.

MS could outsell 2:1 and not announce numbers, it would be a very bad look to start doing it now, and go against their whole MO as a company

DaGwaphics

MS could outsell 2:1 and not announce numbers, it would be a very bad look to start doing it now, and go against their whole MO as a company

Although, if they were 2:1 I think they probably would shout that from the rooftops. At least a couple of the reps would I think. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

To the SonyBros, Xbox Series seems solid so far, let's at least let first-party get cranking first before we start writing the eulogies.

FrankWza

Why does it matter anyway? I thought you were a PC gamer?
One of the new claims is Xbox is not a console anymore, it’s pc, cloud etc. It’s tremendous way of shifting an argument in your favor. So, if you want to argue about install base, it’s xb+pc+any gamepass available platform. If you want to say the console isn’t selling well, it becomes a service and it’s not about console sales.
Tightrope act or Switzerland?
So it's clearly a case of underperformance glistened with honey PR......I'm sure in the last couple of years MS marketing will tell you, who needs numbers, you don't need to know that.
pretty spot on overall. That’s why this thread is kind of meaningless. Numbers from a company that is never going to give out numbers. At least until it fits their narrative.
If MS released figures
But they don't
Doesnt stop them from releasing gp sub numbers with absolutely 0 context. You ignored that huge part of the post you quoted.

sainraja

One of the new claims is Xbox is not a console anymore, it’s pc, cloud etc. It’s tremendous way of shifting an argument in your favor. So, if you want to argue about install base, it’s xb+pc+any gamepass available platform. If you want to say the console isn’t selling well, it becomes a service and it’s not about console sales.
Tightrope act or Switzerland?

pretty spot on overall. That’s why this thread is kind of meaningless. Numbers from a company that is never going to give out numbers. At least until it fits their narrative.

Doesnt stop them from releasing gp sub numbers with absolutely 0 context. You ignored that huge part of the post you quoted.
Microsoft used to release sales numbers during the X360 era. I can understand why they don't now but they definitely use to do it.

FrankWza

Microsoft used to release sales numbers during the X360 era. I can understand why they don't now but they definitely use to do it.
That’s ok. But you’re just going to leave yourself open to speculation when you stop. Especially when you turn around and start picking and choosing which numbers to release. Which I think is what op has an issue with.
If HW sales like that mean more third party AAA games on Game Pass day 1 then I'm okay with that.
That would be more about last gen hardware sales. That’s also where xbox as a service comes in and hitching their wagon to pc.

PaintTinJr

If Ahmad is on point, and I believe he's generally regarded as well informed, then the Xbox Series has shipped around 3.5m units in comparison to the 3.9m Xbone shipped in the same time frame...

Well that's seems quite interesting as a real point of comparison for next-gen sales if we factor in the waffer info from the first page.

If we assume XsX is sold out - in the 3.5m - and the waffers used double for XsX, but resulted in equal stock for XsX and XsS, then a quick extrapolation (assuming I haven't misunderstood) is that half the shipped is the sold out XsX, giving 1.75m XsX sales, and the remaining sales of the estimated 2.4M - matching X1 - are 650k XsS sales, and leaving 1.1m XsS available to buy.

And, if we say that the average gamer - shown by the unwanted XsS stock - doesn't consider the series S as next-gen - despite XsX and PS5 flying off shelves, then the real next-gen comparison of market share is really 1.75m Xboxes versus 4.5M PS5, at this point while both boxes are completely sold out, so might easily change when both have plentiful stock.

edit:

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Well that's seems quite interesting as a real point of comparison for next-gen sales if we factor in the waffer info from the first page.

If we assume XsX is sold out - in the 3.5m - and the waffers used double for XsX, but resulted in equal stock for XsX and XsS, then a quick extrapolation (assuming I haven't misunderstood) is that half the shipped is the sold out XsX, giving 1.65m XsX sales, and the remaining sales of the estimated 2.4M - matching X1 - are 750k XsS sales, and leaving 900k XsS available to buy.

And, if we say that the average gamer - shown by the unwanted XsS stock - doesn't consider the series S as next-gen - despite XsX and PS5 flying off shelves, then the real next-gen comparison of market share is really 1.65m Xboxes versus 4.5M PS5, at this point while both boxes are completely sold out, so might easily change when both have plentiful stock.

MS has repeatedly said they are building more XSX systems than XSS in the short-term. And if you look at restock photos and all that, definitely stores are getting more XSX units. XSS units are not mythical unicorn level rare like the PS5 DE, but still in more limited supply than XSX. Judging from the initial launch numbers available and how it looks on shelves after a full restock, probably something like 70/30 in favor of XSX.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

MS has repeatedly said they are building more XSX systems than XSS in the short-term. And if you look at restock photos and all that, definitely stores are getting more XSX units. XSS units are not mythical unicorn level rare like the PS5 DE, but still in more limited supply than XSX.
I guess it depends how literal that is, because I assume the stock sold, was previously built. Meaning building refers to new stock to meet demand.

I suspect the XsS is made at +$50 dollar profit, and XsX is made at +$150 loss, so producing half and half at day one surely lets the early XsX mfr costs get offset against XsS stock that will remain in the market for much longer, all the while XsX costs are reduced on successive stocks produced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom