• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S "Brilliantly Designed Machine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well if Microsoft have made a machine capable of 1080p and ray tracing on next gen games at a price where they dont loose money then as the title says on the thread its a great designed little machine for wjhat its built for
How do you know if it loses money or not? How much money do you think Sony loses on PS5 DE HW alone (excluding any game or PSN+)? How is that ecosystem value (developers, users)?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
How do you know if it loses money or not? How much money do you think Sony loses on PS5 DE HW alone (excluding any game or PSN+)? How is that ecosystem value (developers, users)?

It has been said repeatedly on This forum that Sony looses money on ps5 digital. After all its the same console as the normal PS5 just without a bluRay drive, that’s about £20 cost in saving And yet is £100 cheaper.

again PlayStation fanboys come into Xbox threads and derail them by talking about Series S is holding back Xeries X as you have.

the Ps5 and Ps5 digital are brilliantly designed consoles also, the Series S is aimed at a different type of gamer

Last edited:

Little Mac

I bought a Series S almost a month ago and it’s been great. Downloaded a bunch of stuff but really Ori, Hades, and the Back 4 Blood beta has occupied all my gaming time. I have a 55in 4K TV but sit probably 7.5-8ft away from it so I can’t really notice the lower screen resolution the console outputs for B4B and I still get the 60fps I want (atleast from the 3 games I mentioned). Well worth 300 dollars IMO.

VALCON 82

This is a dumb fucking post. Nice job, genius.
its called a joke in the middle of console warring bullshit threads where both sides try and pat themselves on the back at the same time wanting to do a "mic drop" on the other side.. Loosen up your tight puckered asshole for about 3 seconds once in a while and you might smile a little

KAL2006

Banned
I'd rather if Microsoft went the Sony route for their budget option and we had a digital only Series X. But I guess Microsoft rather not take a hit of selling at a higher loss.

I think the actual article text would be more triggering.

"To be clear, my overall opinion of the console and its performance has not changed - Series S works but there's still the sense that the cutbacks to spec were a little too severe. Specifically, I still think it should have shipped with more memory and a wider interface for more bandwidth."

"It's still early days in the generation and in terms of how gaming will play out in the long term, it's still difficult to judge to what extent Series S will be able to keep up in a world where technologies like Unreal Engine 5 are already placing serious demands on Series X and PlayStation 5 hardware."

All of these concerns apply even moreso to the Switch, Switch OLED, Switch 2/Super Switch (whenever it's released), and the Steam Deck, though.

And according to all the sales milestone threads the Switch is now considered a console, so it is a valid point of comparison to bring up.

NickFire

All of these concerns apply even moreso to the Switch, Switch OLED, Switch 2/Super Switch (whenever it's released), and the Steam Deck, though.

And according to all the sales milestone threads the Switch is now considered a console, so it is a valid point of comparison to bring up.
You should let digital foundry know. I was just sharing what seemed to be an overlooked part of their analysis.

You should let digital foundry know. I was just sharing what seemed to be an overlooked part of their analysis.
But I remember hearing those quotes directly in the video :LOL:. Was in the first five minutes or so, I think.

I don't know if people wanted them to harp/focus on those quotes explicitly but if so then I don't think that'd of been needed. It's something to keep in mind WRT future performance and scalability, but it's not a doomsday scenario, nowhere near that in fact.

If some game in 2025 can't scale down well enough for Series S natively they can just sync cloud streaming of certain parts of the game to compliment it. We're already seeing that work technologically with games like MS Flight Simulator, and that game has a cloud streaming option (either now out or planned) for XBO and One X.

Microsoft's actually the company I'm least worried about when it comes to supporting a range of spec'd hardware with future releases going forward.

Last edited:

NickFire

But I remember hearing those quotes directly in the video :LOL:. Was in the first five minutes or so, I think.

I don't know if people wanted them to harp/focus on those quotes explicitly but if so then I don't think that'd of been needed. It's something to keep in mind WRT future performance and scalability, but it's not a doomsday scenario, nowhere near that in fact.

If some game in 2025 can't scale down well enough for Series S natively they can just sync cloud streaming of certain parts of the game to compliment it. We're already seeing that work technologically with games like MS Flight Simulator, and that game has a cloud streaming option (either now out or planned) for XBO and One X.

Microsoft's actually the company I'm least worried about when it comes to supporting a range of spec'd hardware with future releases going forward.
Too much caffeine today?

elliot5

yeah I have no concerns about Series S longevity given the min spec PC and all that. You do bring up a good point about the cloud aspect.. while I don't think MS will drop new release support for Series S as long as the X is around the fact that the Series S is all digital would theoretically make it much easier to pull something like that off. No confusion about incompatibility with discs bought as gifts or at the store when they can just prevent you from purchasing/downloading it via the MS Store period on the Series S, and offer a streamable version instead (akin to Control on Switch and so on).

Last edited:
Too much caffeine today?

If I had too much I'd of written a book.

yeah I have no concerns about Series S longevity given the min spec PC and all that. You do bring up a good point about the cloud aspect.. while I don't think MS will drop new release support for Series S as long as the X is around the fact that the Series S is all digital would theoretically make it much easier to pull something like that off. No confusion about incompatibility with discs bought as gifts or at the store when they can just prevent you from purchasing/downloading it via the MS Store period on the Series S, and offer a streamable version instead (akin to Control on Switch and so on).

Same; can't see them outright dropping native ports for Series S because I don't think things will ever get near the point that has to be considered a real possibility. However, for some games I can see processing offload via cloud streaming, be an option.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
its called a joke in the middle of console warring bullshit threads where both sides try and pat themselves on the back at the same time wanting to do a "mic drop" on the other side.. Loosen up your tight puckered asshole for about 3 seconds once in a while and you might smile a little
I smile plenty you lil fuck nugget. Don't be "special". Lol

scalman

still need to talk about this shit ? you rly seems like dont have nothing better to do in days rly... for sure not playing games.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It seems to play those games better than other more expensive consoles do as well. Not to mention the much higher number of 120fps games and other features. So strange people want to 'dunk' on the console offering the significantly better value. Perhaps they are insecure about something...
Just seems to be a theme of any positive Xbox story or news then it has to be debunked as much as poss by PlayStation fans.

all the next gen consoles are great and have their own great features , just a shame some have to ruin threads by trying to
Belittle any news and it works both ways to with Xbox fans downplaying any positive PlayStation news.

people just be so defensive about their plastic box of choice

anothertech

Oh yeah for sure. Everything about it is just great. Was able to finally game without my headphones and enjoy my surround sound speakers at low volume unlike my PS4 Pro which pretty much forced me to use headphones to block out that godawful fan noise.

To this day I wonder how the fuck did Sony slip up on PS4 Pro design.
Ya bad luck.

I had to replace my 4pro because I got the 'jet engine' version as well. My second one was silent tho. Still is years later.

Fredrik

Ya bad luck.

I had to replace my 4pro because I got the 'jet engine' version as well. My second one was silent tho. Still is years later.
The fan lottery was the only reason I never bought a Pro. I’ve never had any luck at lotteries so I didn’t see why it would be different now. But it saved me some money so it’s alright.

I obviously have a PS5 with the coil whine issue as well, but luckily it’s not as loud as some said it was. While I instantly hear it from the couch when powering it on I can’t hear it when I play a game, unless it’s completely silent which is rare.

Still, Sony’s hardware quality is crap. No doubt there. My launch PS3 isn’t even screwed together, I can start pulling it apart with all the warranty stickers over screw holes still intact.

But they all work, including my launch PS1. And I’ve never had a controller failure either. So it could be worse.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The fan lottery was the only reason I never bought a Pro. I’ve never had any luck at lotteries so I didn’t see why it would be different now. But it saved me some money so it’s alright.

I obviously have a PS5 with the coil whine issue as well, but luckily it’s not as loud as some said it was. While I instantly hear it from the couch when powering it on I can’t hear it when I play a game, unless it’s completely silent which is rare.

Still, Sony’s hardware quality is crap. No doubt there. My launch PS3 isn’t even screwed together, I can start pulling it apart with all the warranty stickers over screw holes still intact.

But they all work, including my launch PS1. And I’ve never had a controller failure either. So it could be worse.

Most of my playstation hardware was very reliable, well built, maybe I was just lucky. (not including controllers in this with exception of ps5)

anothertech

I got lucky with ps5. Have digital version, completely silent. Really like the controllers.

My PS4 launch controller lost rubber on the sticks after 2 weeks. Pissed me off so bad. Ds5 working great since December. Def a step up in quality.

dcmk7

Banned
Almost as sad as seeing you in every XSS thread, harassing DarkMage619 endlessly? 🤷‍♂️

It’s quite tiresome to see, and borderline stalking.

XSS is a wee gem of a machine, so says my 17 year old son.

You've read all my posts in this thread? so you must already know how I was actually trying to help the thread stay on topic and encouraging others to stop their trolling, derailing and antagonising behaviour by highlighting it explicitly.

After the recent shitshow of the FS2020 and Hellblade comparison threads, which were run down by same users.. you should see that was trying help.

Sad to see you defending these trolls. But seeing your post history helps explain it.

Last edited:

BigLee74

You've read all my posts in this thread? so you must already know how I was actually trying to help the thread stay on topic and encouraging others to stop their trolling, derailing and antagonising behaviour by highlighting it explicitly.

After the recent shitshow of the FS2020 and Hellblade comparison threads, which were run down by same users.. you should see that was trying help.

Sad to see you defending these trolls. But seeing your post history helps explain it.

You come across as a thinly veiled warrior, shit stirrer, and a bore to boot. Feeling the need to check a post history says it all really. Having said that, I’ll be sure to check yours out next time I can’t fall asleep. ❤️

dcmk7

Banned
You come across as a thinly veiled warrior, shit stirrer, and a bore to boot. Feeling the need to check a post history says it all really. Having said that, I’ll be sure to check yours out next time I can’t fall asleep. ❤️

Absolute savage man, what a killer retort.

But seriously try and present your argument better next time, less sarcasm and rid your loyalty to trolls and the other warriors then maybe we can talk constructively.

Soosa

Banned
In my opinion series S is somewhat a failure as system.

Financially: Because it wont sell well, it have basically been available since the launch on most European countries, so gamers dont see it as option for PS5 or series x

Physically: biggest failure to me is that it lacks the disc drive, so it lacks 100% backwards compatibility. While it runs digital games, there is no chance to play 360/one games or OG xbox games on disc. And xbox games on disc are super duper cheap, usually 10-30% of what similar used playstation games cost here. Even new games for xbox get bigger discounts faster as they are less popular. Another things is that it could affect how well games will use all the power of series x in the future, because series s is just too weak even with lower resolution.

If people would want system like series s, then why there are probably thousands of units collecting dust per country outside of USA? Series X is better system, and I will get one eventually for flight simulator + emulator stuff.

One thing that makes series s even worse option is that why pay 300-320€ for new series s when it is possible to get used but superior series x with some luck for 400-450€? Not option in every country, but here it have been reality.

nothing brilliant to leave the disc drive out, which would make it nice little console.

dcmk7

Banned
In my opinion series S is somewhat a failure as system
It's certainly looking that way, with the low demand (despite low price) and the way MS has gone about marketing.

The marketing has been a big one, there doesn't seem to be much of it right now for XSS and right from the start Jason Ronald positioned it to be a console with the same experience but at a lower resolution.. which sounded good until we started to see game modes and next gen features missing..

Which is totally misleading. So certainly not a good look.

Digital Foundry made some great points too, which seem to have been ignored here, but guess we will have to see how it all develops.

Last edited:

Gravemind

The Series S a great budget machine, and it's absolutely doing its job. I personally know about a dozen friends/acquaintances that never owned an Xbox console until they dipped their toes in with the Series S because of the price point alone.

It's getting gamers into the Xbox ecosystem, and especially into gamepass, which is a success on its own.

dcmk7

Banned
It's a little surprising DF wrote this piece considering their downbeat conclusion with regards to the Unreal 5 engine.

It's an interesting article nonetheless. Some good points raised.

Bought one yesterday and since logging in,I've been unable to download any games as Microsoft say there's a problem with purchasing etc,so far I have a white box I can't do anything with,won't let me access my bought games or gamepass,apperntly they have been aware since 18th and still not fixed, disappointed is an understatement

Bought one yesterday and since logging in,I've been unable to download any games as Microsoft say there's a problem with purchasing etc,so far I have a white box I can't do anything with,won't let me access my bought games or gamepass,apperntly they have been aware since 18th and still not fixed, disappointed is an understatement

MS support can be weird sometimes.

I remember back in the day I bought Halo 2 disc for pc and couldn't play it for some drm issues. Their support couldn't do anything about it.

Hopefully it will get sorted soon.

MS support can be weird sometimes.

I remember back in the day I bought Halo 2 disc for pc and couldn't play it for some drm issues. Their support couldn't do anything about it.

Hopefully it will get sorted soon.
Yeah it's strange, considering it's a digital only console,the fact I can't Access any digital content is a bit rubbish, without trying to start a console war,I've never had this problem with Sony, despite Xbox supposedly the better online system, hopefully gets sorted soon,loads of games I want to download from my library and gamepass

The Series S a great budget machine, and it's absolutely doing its job. I personally know about a dozen friends/acquaintances that never owned an Xbox console until they dipped their toes in with the Series S because of the price point alone.

It's getting gamers into the Xbox ecosystem, and especially into gamepass, which is a success on its own.
It is a truly impressive device and it really lowers the price of entry into this generation of gaming. Clearly the best bang for your buck if you are interested in actually playing games. Several of my friends picked one up as well and they mention the improved load times and quick resume as major game changers.

Trunx81

Gold Member
Does anyone have experience how good the S is for Arcade emulation, especially latency? Would be an amazing little machine for my planned arcade cabinet in the basement.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Does anyone have experience how good the S is for Arcade emulation, especially latency? Would be an amazing little machine for my planned arcade cabinet in the basement.
I believe no one said that it has some latency issues and also it can run those, how are they called 1:1 emulator for snes, etc.
I think this is overall best video on this subject:

What is even the metric for "brilliantly designed", anyway?

Arguably you could have made the same argument for the PS3. A machine so "revolutionary" that it nearly killed Playstation as a brand, had PS4 not gone back on track. I guess you can argue something is "brilliant", if you disregard if it actually acheived its inended goals or not.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Arguably you could have made the same argument for the PS3. A machine so "revolutionary" that it nearly killed Playstation as a brand, had PS4 not gone back on track. I guess you can argue something is "brilliant", if you disregard if it actually acheived its inended goals or not.

as somebody else said there is no metric but if you had to pick one it’s a next gen machine at a very reasonable price point

dcmk7

Banned

Jason Ronald said that it would be the same experience as Series X just at a lower resolution, hasn't achieved that by quite a margin. So guess can use that performance target as a metric for the moment?

Hopefully future next gen games can perform better, but doesn't seem to be justifying his claim at the moment.

Last edited:
The XSS provides the same experience as the XSX but certainly with compromises on visuals. Not one person can point to a feature missing on the XSS outside of the blu-ray drive. Jason Ronald nor anyone else at MS promised that every game running on the system would have the same graphical performance but the resolution. They could never make that promise because game developers make the choices on how games run on hardware not the engineers. Anyone that states the contrary is being ridiculous and holding the budget console to standards more expensive systems aren't. Implying that MS has lied about the best value in gaming right now is just another volley in the console gaming war.

The XSS provides the same experience as the XSX but certainly with compromises on visuals. Not one person can point to a feature missing on the XSS outside of the blu-ray drive. Jason Ronald nor anyone else at MS promised that every game running on the system would have the same graphical performance but the resolution. They could never make that promise because game developers make the choices on how games run on hardware not the engineers. Anyone that states the contrary is being ridiculous and holding the budget console to standards more expensive systems aren't. Implying that MS has lied about the best value in gaming right now is just another volley in the console gaming war.
He's trolling bro. Just ignore him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom