• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S Won’t Apply Xbox One X Enhancements, Microsoft Confirms

quest

Not Banned from OT
So, for those with a Xbox One X there is not point in upgrading to the SeS.
If Microsoft continues the BC program on only the series consoles and you enjoy that even at reduced resolution. If you want to play nextgen games for the lowest price sure there is reasons. Those might not be your reasons.

Reindeer

"...and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps."

Lol. This is a straight up lie and setting up unreal expectations. They should have at least included 2 more GB Ram and sold for 320, that would have solved BC comparability enhancement and made porting games a lot easier. Such a poorly made console this is.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave_d

So I guess I'll just get an Xbox Series X instead.

Oh wait, I was going to do that anyways.
I would figure anybody that really cares about BC would do that anyway given that the XSX has a drive and the XSS doesn't. BTW Yes I realize on the Xbox one the BC games are downloaded and the disc is just a key. That being said on the XSS all BC must have been bought on the store for you to play them.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

I'm considering it for game pass. BC is still pretty great on Xbox.
I was too at one point but then thought of how much internal storage it has which isn’t really much for many Gamepass games ( 8-10 games if you average them at 50/60GB’s , some less some more depending on the game size ).
Then you would have to think about buying the proprietary storage which is probably not going to be cheap and by that point you might as well just go all in and get all the benefits of the XsX.

Barakov

u06xnjr.jpg

Microsoft what are you doing? This is the Xbox 360 Arcade all over again. Either you find a X on the cheap or you spend the extra dosh for the Series X.

imsosleepy

its like.. people here dont understand that there is a huge audience who wil just buy a series s to play rocket league, fortnite, overwatch and other games dont require insane graphics. Or loads of people dont even know there is a difference between 4k, 1440p or 1080p and they wil be very happy with this series s

reinking

Gold Member
It is obvious that this is the minimum spec'd console for next gen gaming and will be the equivalent of playing PC games on minimum specs. I just hope the people outside of the tech world that buy one of these understand what they are getting. Then again, if they live outside of that bubble they probably won't care.

Last edited:

sixamp

Does it truly matter ? People are buying a "next genish" console for next genish games not last gen with slightly prettier textures

Greeno

So, the console plays games at HD resolutions but with better performance and settings. That is actually logical. Gears 5 seems to be a good example of this. Would you prefer to play Gears 5 at 4K60fps with medium settings on the Series S? Or play Gears 5 at 1440p60fps with ultra settings instead?

Last edited:

NickFire

its like.. people here dont understand that there is a huge audience who wil just buy a series s to play rocket league, fortnite, overwatch and other games dont require insane graphics. Or loads of people dont even know there is a difference between 4k, 1440p or 1080p and they wil be very happy with this series s
The huge audience already has a machine capable of playing all of those games.

Ultraslick

Neo Member
Uhhh this makes perfect sense. Not sure why anyone would say this is a problem.

If I’m looking to spend around $300 for an Xbox console, I would potentially consider trying to track down a xbone X instead of the series S. Or just wait till the Series X drops in price.
Releasing a new console which is less capable than its predecessor (in even a small way) could be seen as. Backwards step.

Why wouldn’t Microsoft just consider keeping the One X as an option then?
Answer is to rebrand and market a new box. Makes me feel cheated as a consumer.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It is obvious that this is the minimum spec'd console for next gen gaming and will be the equivalent of playing PC games on minimum specs. I just hope the people outside of the tech world that buy one of these understand what they are getting. Then again, if they live outside of that bubble they probably won't care.
Yes because everyone feeds their 4k tv 4k blurays and other native content lol. I think they understand it won't be as great as the more expensive option. They just want to stay current for cheap as possible. Instead of waiting years into a generation they can do it year one if they want. Will it work no one knows.

Why yes.... XSS isn't meant for 4K gaming. Why is anyone still surprised about this?
They are not but pissed off Microsoft had a good news cycle so angry as hell.

Last edited:

urmie

Enhanced versions, auto-HDR, higher framerates, consistency, etc. Sounds fine for a non-4K console, not seeing the issue here. If BC is super important and you want the best, "fortunately we have a console for you, it's called the Xbox Series X."

1440p upscaled to 4K at 60/120fps with all the XVA bells and whistles combined with the SSD is miles ahead of the 4K/30fps with nothing. Nice to have options on what's important to you.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Why yes.... XSS isn't meant for 4K gaming. Why is anyone still surprised about this?

I'm not surprised. I just don't understand why i'd buy a XSS.
I checked on amazon.de (I'm in Germany) and I can buy a new Xbox One X for 360€ right now. With a disc drive, capable of playing old and new games with graphical enhancements and 4k.
Isn't that the better deal, especially if I got A LOT of XBox games and want to use the BC?

I got a XBox One X at home and see NO reasons whatsoever to get a XSS. Yeah, I can think about getting a XSX, but seeing what the XSS has to offer, MS just could've continue the One X imo.

Jon Neu

Banned
"...and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps."

I'm sure most games outside of AAA games can run at 1440p and 60 fps.

They should have at least included 2 more GB Ram and sold for 320, that would have solved BC comparability enhancement and made porting games a lot easier.

2GB of Ram more wouldn't change a thing.

Seems most people still don't understand that the Series S doesn't run games at 4K because it can't, but because it's the philosophy of the console.

If you want 4K = Series X

If you want less perfomance but a cheaper price = Series S

That's the strategy.

longdi

Banned
Who exactly is the target audience? Not switch users?

Not the gamers who are normally spending 4-500 on a game console already?

Who exactly in the gaming community is this targeting?

as you said, not those gamers who will spend 4-500 on a gaming console

MS wants to target the bigger market, they have noted the total addressable market can be larger than before.

I mean 100m PS4 sold 50m Xbox sold over 6-7 years.

Those are tiny numbers when you think of how many iphones are sold every 2 years. 🤷‍♀️

onQ123

Why would people want enhancements made for 4K on a console that will be running games in 1080/1440P?

Do you want games to struggle rendering at 4K just to downsample at 1080P / 1440P?

Jon Neu

Banned
I checked on amazon.de (I'm in Germany) and I can buy a new Xbox One X for 360€ right now. With a disc drive, capable of playing old and new games with graphical enhancements and 4k.

-360€ for a console that is going to become obsolete in two months.

-Or 299€ for a console that is going to play next gen games.

I don't know man, you do you. But it's clear which one holds more value.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Today I learned 2 important things.

Reading is Hard.

And...

People either didn't know or couldn't appreciate just how much of a leap the Xbox One X was over the current Xbox One and PS4. The One X still is a beast of a machine and the top of the class hardware for when it was released.

I remember my PS4 played the best PS3 game remasters without having to downgrade the games.

But seriously, what PS3 games were too taxing for PS4 to run. If you're accuse people of concern trolling you must be able to name a couple, right?

Was there a PS3Pro that I missed?

FritzJ92

Clearly the naming convention tells you everything. One S upgrade is Series S, One X upgrade is Series X... Comparing the Series S to the One X is honestly pointless.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
-360€ for a console that is going to become obsolete in two months.

-Or 299€ for a console that is going to play next gen games.

I don't know man, you do you. But it's clear which one holds more value.

Xbox One X won't be able to play the whole MS lineup coming in the news two years?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have a Switch, PS4, and will be getting a PS5.

There is 0% chance I'll buy an Xbox at $500. Plays mostly the same games as PS5. It's an extra side thing I barely need. The only way I'd even consider it is as a smaller side purchase. So yeah, I'm spending a lot more than 500 total on consoles, but Series S is still the only thing I'd consider. I skipped Xbox entirely current gen, and would just skip it again next gen.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wait I sold two Xbox One X for nothing? Oh wait, I'll just get 2 Series X to replace them.

Still, in the bedroom, where I am 9 feet from a 49" tv, I can't really see 4K, probably still a waste of money to get an X over an S.......

Reindeer

I'm sure most games outside of AAA games can run at 1440p and 60 fps.

2GB of Ram more wouldn't change a thing.

Seems most people still don't understand that the Series S doesn't run games at 4K because it can't, but because it's the philosophy of the console.

If you want 4K = Series X

If you want less perfomance but a cheaper price = Series S

That's the strategy.
Nope. Digital Foundry specifically said that the reason it can't do enhancement for BC is because it doesn't have enough ram and bandwidth. And more Ram would have definitely helped with next gen titles as many devs already mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidah

Mainly because of the RAM probably.

Xbox One S versions of current gen games are really rough, but at least it'll smooth out performance issues.

quest

Not Banned from OT

MS wants to target the bigger market, they have noted the total addressable market can be larger than before.

Those are tiny numbers when you think of how many iphones are sold every 2 years. 🤷‍♀️
It is small compared to where the home console market was 1 generation ago 90 million per xbox and playstation 100 million for the Wii.

spons

How do you accidentally forget to add 2 gigs of ram to a device? mind you this went through several departments with tens of people who all stamped it 'OK'. Based Phil though, real bro, real gamer, blah blah blah.

reinking

Gold Member
Yes because everyone feeds their 4k tv 4k blurays and other native content lol. I think they understand it won't be as great as the more expensive option. They just want to stay current for cheap as possible. Instead of waiting years into a generation they can do it year one if they want. Will it work no one knows.
When the 360 launched I was manager at an EB Games. No matter how much we 'educated' customers about the difference in the entry level core vs the elite models I had more than one customer come back in the first month upset that they were having to spend over $100 to upgrade their new console. It is a little different but that was my experience with a dual SKU launch. I can't imagine this being much better since it isn't just an upgrade to a $100 HDD and wireless controller.

Imtjnotu

But I phones are selling for more than these consoles. So again. Who is this console honestly for. Don't say the budget people who walk around with a $800+ phone in their pocket lol

It's not the switch portable crowd.

Not the PC elitist

If it's the home console gamer, most will go for the powerful hardware

Bo_Hazem

Banned
“Xbox Series S was designed to be the most affordable next generation console and play next generation games at 1440P at 60fps. To deliver the highest quality backwards compatible experience consistent with the developer’s original intent, the Xbox Series S runs the Xbox One S version of backward compatible games while applying improved texture filtering, higher and more consistent frame rates, faster load times and Auto HDR.”

More in the article here

I wonder why even sell Series S at this point? Developers hate it, and even Microsoft neglects it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Seems like a stunt project they couldn't pull the plug off and decided to roll with it.

Last edited:

Nameless

1440p-4K supersampling and improved AA are still pretty awesome upgrades for those on 1080p. The elimination of jaggies was the main reason I adored my Pro before upgrading to 4K.

There's really no good way to spin
this not being able to do what less capable hardware has been doing since 2016.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Both the title of the article and the header of this post are very misleading. The article only confirms backwards compatibility is in xbox one mode, it does not confirm what happens with regular game Xbox One X enhancements whatsoever. It should be changed.

Last edited:
Not really shocking. The Series S is the direct replacement to the Xbox One S.

It's a cheap box meant to be 1080p and 1440p. The Xbox One X had a serious GPU in it for a console.

The main concern I see with the system is the ram, not the other thousand threads that have popped up. This system very well may have 720p titles as a compromise when the generation takes off. Who knows, I guess we shall see.

For the price there is a lot of percieved value, at least with the people at work that I have spoke with.

THEAP99

Banned
So the next generation series s console you buy this year will not be able to run old games you own better than they did on your old xbox one x from 2017. Got it.

What a shit show. Imagine having to explain that to your consumers.. that your old console outperforms your new one when playing old games.

Top Bottom