• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X, BC to bring HDR and 60/120 FPS

Thirty7ven

Banned

The Verge

Microsoft is planning to automatically add HDR support to games played on its upcoming Xbox Series X console. While existing games will automatically play better on the Xbox Series X, Microsoft is also doing some work to add HDR support and even improve some games from a 30fps locked framerate to 60fps, or 60fps to 120fps.

Microsoft continues to set the standard in BC.

Xbox Series X: The Most Powerful and Compatible Next-Gen Console with Thousands of Games at Launch

- Jason Ronald, Director of Program Management for Xbox Series X

Compatibility Journey

Our compatibility journey began with the announcement of Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility coming to Xbox One at E3 2015. I clearly remember that first magical experience of jumping into one of my favorite Xbox 360 games, Final Fantasy XIII, and instantly resuming where I had left off years before as if no time had passed at all. I was instantly transported back to that special time and all the great memories and personal connections I have made through gaming. The energy and passion from the community continues to motivate us to this day.

All Games Play Better on Xbox Series X

Not only should gamers be able to play all of these games from the past, but they should play better than ever before. Backwards compatible games run natively on the Xbox Series X hardware, running with the full power of the CPU, GPU and the SSD. No boost mode, no downclocking, the full power of the Xbox Series X for each and every backward compatible game. This means that all titles run at the peak performance that they were originally designed for, many times even higher performance than the games saw on their original launch platform, resulting in higher and more steady framerates and rendering at their maximum resolution and visual quality. Backwards compatible titles also see significant reductions in in-game load times from the massive leap in performance from our custom NVME SSD which powers the Xbox Velocity Architecture. As I play through my personal backlog as part of our internal testing, all of the incredible games from Xbox One and earlier play best on Xbox Series X.

Last edited:

MaulerX

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
That whole article is just a great read for anyone who, like me, values backwards compatibility.

Xbox are simply knocking it out of the park with BC. It's great to hear even more confirmation that they remain committed & this will continue into next gen.

For example, automatic system level implementation of HDR? Yes please, thank you. I feel another run through the Mass Effect trilogy will be in order once I get the Series X.

TBiddy

What impresses me most here is the "auto HDR" feature. I'm not sure how well it will work, and I'm not sure if we aren't going to see some examples where it's looking weird, but it's such an impressive feat of engineering none the less. It really shows that there's not a single company out there who excels in software like Microsoft.

Skyr

That whole article is just a great read for anyone who, like me, values backwards compatibility.

Xbox are simply knocking it out of the park with BC. It's great to hear even more confirmation that they remain committed & this will continue into next gen.

For example, automatic system level implementation of HDR? Yes please, thank you. I feel another run through the Mass Effect trilogy will be in order once I get the Series X.
Same here. A great BC support is what would make me want to buy one.
I only plan to get a PS5 at the moment but if they knock it out of the park with BC, they would pull me in.

iconmaster

Banned
No question Series X is going to be the best console for playing games you’ve already played.

I snark, but this is commendable consumer-friendly behavior that stands in sharp contrast to the consumer-hostile launch of the Xbox One. All it took was for MS to get the stuffing kicked out of it in the market.

Last edited:
All sounds impressive, BC is great on the XB (was that little dig at Sony in the tweet?, "No boost mode, No downclocking" or just my imagination)

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
That auto HDR is dope. But have to wait and see how it looks.
When they released all the specs and had their talk with Digital Foundry, they showed a video on how it looked for Fusion Frenzy.
EDIT: just checked, they didn't have the actual footage, timestamped here

Last edited by a moderator:

sobaka770

Banned
That's actually neat for BC users! I honestly want to know how retro-HDR would work, is it just brightness adjustment or additional color and detail as well?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The console and services all seem great on XbOXsX, they're the easy part though. July will tell us if all of this even matters.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
When they released all the specs and had their talk with Digital Foundry, they showed a video on how it looked for Fusion Frenzy

I believe I saw that video. AI pwoered stuff can be extremely good so I have high hopes. Would love to play some Doom 2016 in HDR.

scalman

I very rarely play older games even on pc even on upgraded pc so i could play them wirh better visuals, i just dont do that, whats the point , not enough new games?
So its sounds very cool on paper but it doesnt work in reality.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I have over 300 BC games, and even with MS parading around BC... I have not played anything more than 5 mins.. what I mean is ... when it is announced that a game is BC i download the game.. goof around ... and delete...

Most of my games are not even BC, Need for Speed, WWE, Several Racing games.

Too many new games ... Switch PS4, ... Xbox etc....

They need to concentrate on newer games...

Last edited:

Roberts

Usually 60 fps is not even that important to me, but I will not turn down the opportunity to play some of the games from last two generations in 60 fps, especially the ones I never played before (Hello, Watch Dogs 2). That and auto-HDR is yet another reason why I can't wait to get myself that tower of power.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I very rarely play older games even on pc even on upgraded pc so i could play them wirh better visuals, i just dont do that, whats the point , not enough new games?
For you maybe, just a couple of days ago I started replaying the first Rome Total War. There are just always some games that release every year that are still fun to play after 10-15 years. Maybe it's nostalgia, or just a good game, but it's worth revisiting sometimes.

Roberts

Wouldn't it be swell if everybody thought like you? There are a lot of reasons to play older games and none of them really have to have anything to do with nostalgia. You only watch new movies or listen to new music?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I guess that HDR on old games are too much work, while more fps could be a thing by default

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Same here. A great BC support is what would make me want to buy one.
I only plan to get a PS5 at the moment but if they knock it out of the park with BC, they would pull me in.

They already do have great BC support my man. I've got the Dead Space trilogy, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind & Oblivion, Fable trilogy, every Gears title, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Mass Effect trilogy, Tom Clancy's GRAW & Rainbow Six Vegas... Just off the top of my head + loads more. It's brilliant.

Next gen I'm probably going to end up doing what I did this gen. Get a PlayStation for it's exclusives & an Xbox for everything else. Gaming nirvana :messenger_sunglasses:

Wouldn't it be swell if everybody thought like you? There are a lot of reasons to play older games and none of them really have to have anything to do with nostalgia. You only watch new movies or listen to new music?

i agree with you. plus there are games i missed or started but never finished that i would like to go back to.

Skyr

They already do have great BC support my man. I've got the Dead Space trilogy, Dragon Age 1 & 2, Elder Scrolls Morrowind & Oblivion, Fable trilogy, every Gears title, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2, Mass Effect trilogy, Tom Clancy's GRAW & Rainbow Six Vegas... Just off the top of my head + loads more. It's brilliant.

Next gen I'm probably going to end up doing what I did this gen. Get a PlayStation for it's exclusives & an Xbox for everything else. Gaming nirvana :messenger_sunglasses:
I know BC is good.
Should have phrased it differently. If they can truly deliver on an improved experience with BC titles in terms of framerate and resolution as suggested, then..

I know BC is good.
Should have phrased it differently. If they can truly deliver on an improved experience with BC titles in terms of framerate and resolution as suggested, then..

They also already offer that with the one x on lots of titles.

Check the box for enhanced games and you can see the list. it provides smoother framerate, upscaling, and HDR in some cases. Digital foundry and other youtube channels have does some comparisons of enhanced vs originals. very impressive upgrades on a lot of the games.

Last edited:
HDR is only HDR if the entire development pipeline is HDR. You can't just "add" HDR to normal content, otherwise you are just doing the color equivalent of upscaling.

Also, lol at calling FFXIII a special time, I bet he considers a colonoscopy a special time too.

Skyr

They also already offer that with the one x on lots of titles.

Check the box for enhanced games and you can see the list. it provides smoother framerate, upscaling, and HDR in some cases.
I'm aware of that. I owned a one x until recently. I would call most the enhancements pretty lmited in scale tho. I'm hoping with that with the power of the series x we can see some serious jumps.

Last edited:
it'd be a game changer (pun intended) if they could make the majority of the back compat games 60fps locked. just that change alone would breathe new life into older titles and blow peoples' minds (those that have not enjoyed PC master race status before). Destiny 2 for example looks unbelievable running at 60fps. Don't even need to upgrade textures, etc. All the old Assassin's Creed games would look awesome, RDR2, GTAV, etc. More than likely won't happen across the board, but would be cool. can't wait for next gen!

Banned
I really wonder how easily they can disable framerate locks on BC games without breaking them.

some games should be absolutely no issue since they have unlocked or higher fps versions on PC.
Mirror's Edge for example, that's locked at 30fps on console but on PC it's locked at 60fps with easy ways to unlock that as well (but at high fps the game has some minor glitches)

so yeah, I wonder how well this will work

they could unlock all the 360 Gears of War games, make them basically remasters since they already run at 4k on One X (well, at least Gears 2 and 3 do..m I think Gears 1 is not enhanced)

Last edited:

Skyr

Adding HDR support to old titles is something I am really curious to test out for myself. That sounds like an impressive feature. Also curious to find out how many titles end up getting 30 to 60 fps boosts and whatnot. Definitely going to be a lot of new content from all the tech channels providing analysis.
Digital Foundry HQ be like
messydesk.gif

No question Series X is going to be the best console for playing games you’ve already played.

I snark, but this is commendable consumer-friendly behavior that stands in sharp contrast to the consumer-hostile launch of the Xbox One. All it took was for MS to get the stuffing kicked out of it in the market.
You realize not every game that has been released on previous XBOX consoles has been played by every person. There are plenty of new experiences for people too. You get past present and future titles in one place and that's pretty nifty.

Top Bottom