• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X expansion card revealed

Handy Fake

Sony is dictating what kind of SSD's you should buy and they are not cheap.
Microsoft has shown this gen for their propitiatory storage to be only 20 USD more expensive than equivalent solutions(sometimes slightly worse) from the same company.
Not really, you can put any SSD in that fits. But if they're not certified by Sony regarding SSD speed then you need to transfer the install over to the main drive to play it.
As before, not much of a chore considering it's SSD to SSD and it's a good stopgap until the more expensive certified SSDs drop in price.

ZywyPL

Banned
From a consumer perspective Microsoft's solution is easier and more elegant, but might be more expensive. Sony's is cheaper depending on what kind of SSD you'll buy, but the messaging is a lot harder on which solutions you can and can't buy, which might result in buying the wrong item

I actually wonder how/if they will prevent people from putting the cheapest, insufficient drives, like 1-1.5GB/s ones? Physically it's all the same, so how the OS will be able to tell whether a certain drive offers enough performance or not? The only solutions I can see is either some build-in benchmark before formatting the drive for future use, or a fixed (driver?) list of supported SSD baked into the system, so the unsupported drives won't even be visible once you launch the console.

I think a lot of people dont get why some proprietary accessories cost more, its because they are made in limited quantities But in case of XSX they are repackaging the same hard drive that is present in Series X into a memory card, which is already being produced in bulk. This is why its only 1 TB. As the parts used to make XSX get cheaper, so will the memory card.
On the other hand, there is no demand for the 7 GB/s NVMe drive for PS5. Its like 128 GB RAM, no one is interested in it. The market for those NVMe drives which have to be inserted inside the PS5(how many people used Internal SSD in PS4?) is always smaller than XSX memory cards. By the time they actually get cheaper, the generation would have ended.

I doubt that.
Both companys will push nvme usage, However Sonys userbase is at least twice compared to ms. nvme massproduction (for end-user) might make them cheaper or more costly depending on general supply and demand.

However MS technology with those cards and the slot has me intrigued.
I would like that to be incorperated into pc mainboards. That would make upgrading/swapping storage so comfy for everyone.

Handy Fake

I actually wonder how/if they will prevent people from putting the cheapest, insufficient drives, like 1-1.5GB/s ones? Physically it's all the same, so how the OS will be able to tell whether a certain drive offers enough performance or not? The only solutions I can see is either some build-in benchmark before formatting the drive for future use, or a fixed (driver?) list of supported SSD baked into the system, so the unsupported drives won't even be visible once you launch the console.
I think that's where the certification will come into it. There'll be a list that it'll check against the installed drive.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I like Sony's choice of allowing 3rd parties SSDs.
Well, it's going to be advantage as the time progresses, because now 1TB PCIe 4 SSDs cost like console itself and I cannot imagine, that MS would sell those expansion card for that price. But obviously as times go by, most likely PS5 is going to be cheaper when it comes to upgrading storage.

Three

As shown above, a $20 markup isnt all that bad for 100% performance guarantee and plug and play.
If a 1TB nvme ssd cost $200, i doubt MS will sell their proprietary one for $299. Closer to $229.

People keeps bringing up Vita. But at that time, we have cheaper mSD cards. Sony was selling almost 2x the price of similar size mSD.
Now has anyone shown that the Vita cards are 2x the performance to justify the markup? Thats why Sony was getting hammered.
What makes you expect such a small markup? Xbox 360 hdd price in 2009: $160 for 120GB. More than $1 per gig.

Meanwhile you could get a regular 1TB drive for $80 in 2009.

What makes you think this will be different?

I'm not sure why anyone thinks they will offer these for cheap. During the 360 days MS was getting away with charging
$100 for a wifi adaptor,
$50 512MB memory cards and
$160 for a 120GB HDD, oh and who can forget the
$200 HDDVD addon.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

^ Cheap Gen4 SSDs will start to launch this fall. There are a few budget controllers hitting the market then, this will bring the WD Blue's etc. up to to date with the specification. I would assume for about $100 - $120 per TB (with speeds around 3.5GBs).

DaGwaphics

What makes you expect such a small markup? Xbox 360 hdd price in 2009: $160 for 120GB. More than $1 per gig.

You couldn't buy a 2.5" 1TB drive in 2009 for $80 (pricing is still about $60 today). Also, the 360 HDD was 250GB at that point, but maybe some old drives got stuck in the channel.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I doubt that.
Both companys will push nvme usage, However Sonys userbase is at least twice compared to ms. nvme massproduction (for end-user) might make them cheaper or more costly depending on general supply and demand.

However MS technology with those cards and the slot has me intrigued.
I would like that to be incorperated into pc mainboards. That would make upgrading/swapping storage so comfy for everyone.
The gap may not be that big this time. But the number of people who will open their PS5 and insert a NVMe drive(like those who put SSD's in P4) is smaller than people who would just buy an expansion card.
Since, the expansion card uses the same drive as the one inside XSX it will also get cheaper as the parts to manufacture XSX get cheaper(they are all made in bulk).

MayauMiao

Well, it's going to be advantage as the time progresses, because now 1TB PCIe 4 SSDs cost like console itself and I cannot imagine, that MS would sell those expansion card for that price. But obviously as times go by, most likely PS5 is going to be cheaper when it comes to upgrading storage.

Especially when its a propriety product.

Bernkastel

Not really, you can put any SSD in that fits. But if they're not certified by Sony regarding SSD speed then you need to transfer the install over to the main drive to play it.
As before, not much of a chore considering it's SSD to SSD and it's a good stopgap until the more expensive certified SSDs drop in price.
Its the same with MS. You can store all your XSX games on an external hdd through USB, but it can only play OG Xbox,360 and Xbox One games. You can directly play them through internal storage or expansion card. NVMe drives needed to play PS5 games are expensive.

Handy Fake

Its the same with MS. You can store all your XSX games on an external hdd through USB, but it can only play OG Xbox,360 and Xbox One games. You can directly play them through internal storage or expansion card. NVMe drives needed to play PS5 games are expensive.
Oh I know, aye. Said before.
But as said before, you're really at the behest of MS when it comes to using expanded internal storage, just as PS is with "certified" SSD drives.
For the most part I think everyone will either be playing/transferring from an extrernal drive (MS) or a lower speed non-certified SSD (PS) until prices drop.
I don't really see much difference in the approach apart from it probably shows PS5's architecture and games design sees the superfast SSD as a necessity for gaming.

Interesting stuff anyway.

DESTROYA

I think Series X implementation is a good solution for this gen.
Maybe 5 years down, with Series X-ii, MS can switch to non-prop storage, when nvme nand storage become fully mainstream.

Right now, because of the costs, because of the limited exposure, because of the requirements, it make sense to package a high quality proprietary solution for plug and play.
Besides have you tried self install nvme m.2. It is pretty tricky, with the tiny screw, and standoff.

I think MS made a right choice, now. It helps to offset the msrp of Series X itself. We shall see.
Everything points to MS going for a low price, high performance entry to their next gen platform
Since when is a proprietary solution a good solution? Your stuck most likely over paying for a form factor that only works for one thing only.
It makes absolutely no sense and you have no need for a proprietary storage solution like it made no sense for the VITA,
NVME M.2 drives are a breeze to install and can be swapped it less than 30 seconds if you now how to use a screwdriver...lol ....that has to be the weakest excuse I’ve ever heard going with a proprietary solution.
Limited exposure for NVME’s? They’ve been around for almost 10 years now.
What exactly points for MS for a low price, if anything it’s just the opposite because they have to be custom made.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Since when is a proprietary solution a good solution? Your stuck most likely over paying for a form factor that only works for one thing only.
It makes absolutely no sense and you have no need for a proprietary storage solution like it made no sense for the VITA,
NVME M.2 drives are a breeze to install and can be swapped it less than 30 seconds if you now how to use a screwdriver...lol ....that has to be the weakest excuse I’ve ever heard going with a proprietary solution.
What exactly points for MS for a low price, if anything it’s just the opposite because they have to be custom made.
Wouldn't surprise me if some enthusiastic third party made a port adapter for it to attach a standard drive.

Three

You couldn't buy a 2.5" 1TB drive in 2009 for $80 (pricing is still about $60 today). Also, the 360 HDD was 250GB at that point, but maybe some old drives got stuck in the channel.
Check the link, it wasn't yet. If the connection was standard instead of that proprietary bullshit case you could even use regular 3.5 drives like adaptors on the PS3.

Also the price for double the storage and better performance even in 2.5 inch HDDs was still cheaper at $0.28 per gig.

I'm not sure why anyone would try and defend the extortianate prices MS charged. They even went out of their way to ban anyone who tried to use regular ones.

Regular HDD prices over the years
Check 2009.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Since when is a proprietary solution a good solution?
If you are worried about that you wont be gaming on consoles.
So, will you take the NVMe drive to a friend and insert it by opening his Series X? The expansion card is meant to be a portable. Otherwise no one will buy an external hard drive and everyone will just insert a new drive inside their CPU.
Like the Xbox One Seagate external drives which only cost around 20 USD more than equivalent(and slightly worse) Seagate hard drives.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks they will offer these for cheap. During the 360 days MS was getting away with charging
$100 for a wifi adaptor,
$50 512MB memory cards and
$160 for a 120GB HDD, oh and who can forget the
$200 HDDVD addon.

Exactly, best way to predict the future is look at past history.

I'm so torn on this. On one hand, I'm sure Microsoft's solution will be more expensive than just buying your own drive.

On the other hand, these cards take any guesswork out of upgrading and they do just that, upgrade your storage.

PS5 seems a bit more consumer-friendly in terms of pricing, but you'll have to be careful about getting a "certified" drive. As I understand it, you'll also be replacing the internal drive entirely, which means you need to shell out more for larger storage than the base drive.

Edit: Mark Cerny states that there is an M2 "bay" in the PS5, but he doesn't seem to clearly state whether that's in addition to where the default SSD will be. It could be replacing the original drive entirely (ALA PS4), or additional storage. If it's the latter, prices could certainly be more consumer friendly in time vs the Xbox approach.

Between the two, I'm more in favor of Microsoft's strategy for day one.

After fully researching this, I like Sony's strategy better. Picking your own drive might be a bit more complicated for some, but it'll certainly be cheaper over time.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Check the link, it wasn't yet. If the connection was standard instead of that proprietary bullshit case you could even use regular 3.5 drives like adaptors on the PS3.

Also the price for double the storage and better performance even in 2.5 inch HDDs was still cheaper at $0.28 per gig.

I'm not sure why anyone would try and defend the extortianate prices MS charged. They even went out of their way to ban anyone who tried to use regular ones.

Regular HDD prices over the years
Check 2009.
Xbox is led by different people now. In 2015 they updated Xbox 360 so that you can insert and use any HDD upto 2 TB.
Exactly, best way to predict the future is look at past history.
Like Xbox One
Like the Xbox One Seagate external drives which only cost around 20 USD more than equivalent(and slightly worse) Seagate hard drives.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I'm so torn on this. On one hand, I'm sure Microsoft's solution will be more expensive than just buying your own drive.

On the other hand, these cards take any guesswork out of upgrading and they do just that, upgrade your storage.

PS5 seems a bit more consumer-friendly in terms of pricing, but you'll have to be careful about getting a "certified" drive. As I understand it, you'll also be replacing the internal drive entirely, which means you need to shell out more for larger storage than the base drive.

Between the two, I'm more in favor of Microsoft's strategy.
There'll be a list of certified drives that you can play from but any SSD will fit, but uncertified drives will have to transfer games from the added SSD to the internal fast SSD to play them.
You don't replace the internal drive, there's an SSD expansion port.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

If you are worried about that you wont be gaming on consoles.

What are you talking about Proprietary storage ? What does that have to do with a gaming consoles when you could easily use a standard NVME drives and not use usually more expensive custom made solution.

So, will you take the NVMe drive to a friend and insert it by opening his Series X? The expansion card is meant to be a portable. Otherwise no one will buy an external hard drive and everyone will just insert a new drive inside their CPU.

Insert a new drive in the CPU?...WHAT!
You can download your Xbox profile to multiple consoles like they do now, so why would you need to bring a a new drive to a friend when you can just sign into your account?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't. The drives don't even exist and who know how expensive they will be. Also, having to open the console kind of sucks, and will not allow you to use the drive that comes with the system. The expansion slot is the better solution all around.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I don't. The drives don't even exist and who know how expensive they will be. Also, having to open the console kind of sucks, and will not allow you to use the drive that comes with the system. The expansion slot is the better solution all around.
All of this is wrong.
EDIT:

Have I got this totally wrong? The way I read it there's an expansion slot for an SSD but there's conflicting information everywhere...

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Some fanboys are reaching all the way back to 360? That may be the sign that their team is losing? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

As to the poster who said cheap gen4 nvme soonish? Think again. I expect you have to wait until early 2022 to get a cheap one that does 6gbs or certified for PS5.

Look at the road map friends. Again, this is what can expect in the next 12 months from today.

yUL0G7V.png

DESTROYA

Of course you don’t, you hate everything from SONY.
Regular NVME drives do already exist they just have to pass SONY’s certification standards.
Changing the drive in a PS4 was a breeze and most likely the same with the PS5, your most likely to have to do it once if you get a big enough drive.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Regular NVME drives do already exist they just have to pass SONY’s certification standards.
Changing the drive in a PS4 was a breeze and most likely the same with the PS5, your most likely to have to do it once if you get a big enough drive.
Oh shut up with your nonsense. Why is it that any criticism against the alighty PS immediately means your an Xbot or are out to get Sony.

Seriously, get fucked.

Handy Fake

Well.

A Google tells me that you have an SSD expansion port that accepts any SSD drive, an SSD expansion port that only accepts certified SSD drives, no expansion slot and only an internal drive that to replace requires a certified SSD.

It's no bloody wonder there's so much confusion on this thread.

MayauMiao

Between the two, I'm more in favor of Microsoft's strategy.

Not sure if Sony have said you need to replace the original that came with the unit. Got link to that because I am assuming that PS5 will have an extra slot for that extra SSD upgrade.

Open console may not be a nice thing but its not like you're going to do it often. Also, even if we don't know the price of these SSD, I am pretty sure that propriety will always cost more due to limited production and lack of competition.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

That PS5 drive is off the charts fast though; "replacing it" is going to be expensive and then you basically lose that part. Hopefully the PS5 drive is something we can pop into a PC and actually use, because otherwise that's a real shame to rip 1/3 or more of your consoles cost out and just lose it.

But are we sure we can't use externals at all? Is there any room for them announcing some sort of external slot?

edit: Edited out false info.. it has an expansion slot, but there are some drawbacks...

Last edited:
Well.

A Google tells me that you have an SSD expansion port that accepts any SSD drive, an SSD expansion port that only accepts certified SSD drives, no expansion slot and only an internal drive that to replace requires a certified SSD.

It's no bloody wonder there's so much confusion on this thread.
Not sure if Sony have said you need to replace the original that came with the unit. Got link to that because I am assuming that PS5 will have an extra slot for that extra SSD upgrade.

Open console may not be a nice thing but its not like you're going to do it often. Also, even if we don't know the price of these SSD, I am pretty sure that non propriety will always cost more due to limited production and lack of competition.

Yeah... I'm gonna edit my post to reflect the confusion on this topic. A few articles I read state that you would be replacing the internal drive.

Re-listening to that portion of Mark Cerny's "Road to Playstation 5" video, it's not super clear. He mentions that there is a "bay" for an M2 drive, and seems to suggest that this is in addition to the existing SSD. However, his statements aren't exactly definitive.

DESTROYA

Some fanboys are reaching all the way back to 360? That may be the sign that their team is losing? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

As to the poster who said cheap gen4 nvme soonish? Think again. I expect you have to wait until early 2022 to get a cheap one that does 6gbs or certified for PS5.

Look at the road map friends. Again, this is what can expect in the next 12 months from today.
I see a road map that says 2020, do you really expect proprietary tech to be cheaper then a standard drive of the same storage capacity :pie_roffles: good luck with that.
Sounds like your making excuses now.

Last edited:

Dural

How long until Aliexpress and Banggood have adapters that allow any m.2 drive to be plugged in? I'm thinking less than 6 months.

Bernkastel

How long until Aliexpress and Banggood have adapters that allow any m.2 drive to be plugged in? I'm thinking less than 6 months.
It wont run. The expansion card contains the same drive as the one inside XSX which has the features like Velocity Architecture. The games wont run from any other storage.

MayauMiao

Yeah... I'm gonna edit my post to reflect the confusion on this topic. A few articles I read state that you would be replacing the internal drive.

Re-listening to that portion of Mark Cerny's "Road to Playstation 5" video, it's not super clear. He mentions that there is a "bay" for an M2 drive, and seems to suggest that this is in addition to the existing SSD. However, his statements aren't exactly definitive.

It would be rather dumb decision if PS5 SSD upgrade requires you to replace the original. Besides, its not like SSD is taking up so much space so they have to include the extra slot. 2 extra SSD slot would be nicer.

DESTROYA

That PS5 drive is off the charts fast though; "replacing it" is going to be expensive and then you basically lose that part. Hopefully the PS5 drive is something we can pop into a PC and actually use, because otherwise that's a real shame to rip 1/3 or more of your consoles cost out and just lose it.

But are we sure we can't use externals at all? Is there any room for them announcing some sort of external slot?

B_Boss

Its a small portable memory card that you can just plug and play. You can take it and plug it to a friends Xbox. You cant do that with standard NVMe drives

You can probably do it with Sony/PS5 approved drives that are formatted by the console itself.”....maybe? This is speculation of course 🤔 (I’m probably so off here lol...). I think I’m envisioning the drive as more of an expansion drive that you can detach at will and not a second internal drive. One that that you store your games on and can detach to take to a friend‘s place with their PS5 lol. Probably not....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I think when you connect an SSD to it, it will share some information (build type, serial number, etc.) that will tell the PS5 what type it is. If it doesn't match the types PS5 supports, it will let you know that it can only be used as a harddrive to keep games, but not play them.

Top Bottom