• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X power draw tested.

Heise.de

Dirt5: 160-165 Watt
normal use: 40-70 Watt
watching Blu-Ray: 60 Watt
Fast Boot: 10 Watt
Standby: 0.5 Watt

Jeff Grubb:

One X: 175 Watt average
Series X: 165 Watt average

Arstechnica:
But it's also comparable to the total heat output of most modern consoles. Series X's power draw—a theoretical maximum of 315 watts, but closer to 190 watts as measured by a Kill-a-Watt device while playing "next-gen" games—is a good metric, compared to the 120W average gameplay draw of the original Xbox One and 185W average gameplay draw of Xbox One X. (You read that correctly: In my limited testing, Series X and XB1X are absolutely comparable in power draw.)

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Only 165w? what???

Thats lower than the 170w X1X pulls when playing gears 4.

i expected both consoles to pull well over 200w.

Last edited:
What was Dirt 5 running at? If it was 4K/60, then that’s insane and the Navi rumors matching a 3080 and only being their second-tier card might not be that crazy after all.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Only 165w? what???

Thats lower than the 170w X1X pulls when playing gears 4.

i expected both consoles to pull well over 200w.
RDNA 2 power efficiency gains, plus the GPU is clocked very low compared to other RDNA 2 GPU's, hence the massive reduction in consumption.

A 3090 can pull well over 300w on it's own so it's impressive that these consoles can do so much with comparatively such low power requirements.

SlimySnake

RDNA 2 power efficiency gains, plus the GPU is clocked very low compared to other RDNA 2 GPU's, hence the massive reduction in consumption.
right. but MS made it sound like they went with that design because it was producing so much heat. the ps3 was 200w.

Ellery

That is quite impressive. Hope we see more of those tests. (Especially for games that put on a high load on the console. Not sure if Dirt 5 is the best at that)

Zathalus

right. but MS made it sound like they went with that design because it was producing so much heat. the ps3 was 200w.
They could have likely clocked the GPU quite a bit higher if they went with a larger console form factor. But I guess they didn't feel the need to? From all testing performed so far today, the XSX sips power at 160w, peaks at under 50c exhaust (Xbox One X is 65c to compare) and is whisper quite.

SlimySnake

I'd wait for something a little more demanding than Dirt 5, with RT. That would be way more.
I agree, but he said they tested five games and it averaged between 160-165.

It could be that they tested mostly BC games.

I did anticipate the GPU having a tdp of 100w. The CPU and RAM would likely be around 60w and the rest for the SSD and other mobo stuff. So 165 is a bit on the low end but not entirely impossible. I just got thrown off by MS's giant console.

Zathalus

I agree, but he said they tested five games and it averaged between 160-165.

It could be that they tested mostly BC games.

I did anticipate the GPU having a tdp of 100w. The CPU and RAM would likely be around 60w and the rest for the SSD and other mobo stuff. So 165 is a bit on the low end but not entirely impossible. I just got thrown off by MS's giant console.
They likely tested Gears 5 as well, as the enhanced version embargo has lifted. That game at the enhanced ultra settings certainly qualifies as next gen. It is utterly demanding at 4k.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
That's lower than I expected, but makes sense if you take into account the power budget they would need to assign the additional ports.

Ellery

Running at 120fps could definitely put the CPU under considerable load.

Not sure about Dirt 5, but I feel like this power draw is much lower than I expected (Which is really good news for AMD and gamers in particular).

Maybe the architecture is just THAT efficient, but I will wait a bit to see true next gen games fully utilizing this console

MiguelItUp

I feel like people care a lot more about trivial things with console hardware this coming gen. I find it kind of fascinating.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Seems really low.

I feel like people care a lot more about trivial things with console hardware this coming gen. I find it kind of fascinating.
Well last gen it was the same and it's interesting thing to know.

MiguelItUp

Well last gen it was the same and it's interesting thing to know.
I suppose I just blocked those out then, I dunno, they just seem a bit more excessive this time around. But then again I can't blame anyone, it's just people wanting every new bit of info they can get, haha.

Yeah, I do agree with that. I just think it's lame when people use it as "leverage" against the other console when something is "better."

notseqi

today i found out that if you turn on subtitles, youtube will let you autotranslate in like a 100 different languages.

wtf.
As soon as you have an english, german or russian translation you're pretty much guaranteed the others too as it's easy to auto-translate from them.

Jboemios

Banned
The gap between the theorical max wattage and the current wattage means that the xsx is not using all the power?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I suppose I just blocked those out then, I dunno, they just seem a bit more excessive this time around. But then again I can't blame anyone, it's just people wanting every new bit of info they can get, haha.

Yeah, I do agree with that. I just think it's lame when people use it as "leverage" against the other console when something is "better."
I think power draw in instant on is legitimate concern, since that's how the console spent most of the time. It was high with kinect, so poeple were up in arms back then. Doing calculation how much it's going to cost, etc...

The gap between the theorical max wattage and the current wattage means that the xsx is not using all the power?
Potentially yeah, also seems that DIRT 5 was some quick port, IF it can really draw more power, which I think it can. Hell 3900x which has 4 cores more and some cache can eat easily 140W non-OC by itself.

Last edited:

martino

I feel like Dity 5 isn't a good example to judge anything on. Power draw, resolution, anything.
4im8hu.jpg

Last edited:
Damn that's a LOT less wattage than I thought it'd be drawing. Granted, I don't know if any of these games are pushing the hardware (I doubt they are). So peak power draw is probably higher than what's listed here.

But still, it's really impressive the relatively low amounts these games draw, and especially when the system's in standby mode.

Ars has up to 190 on average on "next gen games" compared to 185 for One X

This sounds close to what I figure it'd be, ~200 watts.

For reference I've been thinking PS5's is around 220-225 watts overall. At the very least it'd be a few watts over whatever Series X's is.

Last edited:

Ascend

I guess all the overheating stuff can be laid to rest.

More importantly, the implications for RDNA2/Big Navi/RX6000 series is huge.

THE:MILKMAN

Power consumption seems to be inline with what I expected from the PSU specs at 175-200W for next-gen games. It will be interesting to see how much higher PS5 goes given the much higher GPU clocks or whether the lower number of CUs equalises things. Heat output is a nice reduction from One X so with how much bigger PS5 is over PS4 Pro I hope it bodes well there too though I believe the liquid metal might mean higher exhaust temps?

Marlenus

I guess all the overheating stuff can be laid to rest.

More importantly, the implications for RDNA2/Big Navi/RX6000 series is huge.

Suggests AMD beat the 50% performance per watt increase.

Considering renoir @ 3.66Ghz uses around 50W even if we lowball and say everything bar the GPU and ram are using 50W that means the GPU + Ram is at 140W. 140W for 2080S power. RDNA scales 1:1 with power increases (5500XT 8GB vs 5700XT).

That means a GPU with 16GB ram and double the XSX performance could be done in a 300W envelope. Double 2080S is about 10% faster than the 3090 as an upper bound.

I expected way more than that. WTF?
You can thank amazing MS Surface team for that.

It's amazing how they managed to make a far more powerful console that is quieter, cooler, and consumes less power than its predecessor. That's some top-notch engineering from a mainly software company.

Last edited:
Top Bottom