• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X : Screen dimmer not working at all now?

Stafford

For no reason at all the screen dimmer/saver on XSX has stopped working.

I always have it enabled for two minutes and it doesn’t do that anymore. And when I force the screen dimmer (guide button, X) it dims and then goes back to normal again. It used to dim the screen and show achievements and stuff.

I did a hard reboot, didn't fix it. I checked if the idle options are all set correctly, they are. This fucking sucks.

This is GREAT for my OLED :(.

Kuranghi

I know its stating the obvious but its how you solve problems, unless its actually a bug then something must be registering as input to stop it dimming. You said you manually dim it and comes back to full brightness immediately, could it be another device thats not the controller is registering input and cancelling the dimming? Not sure what it would be but thought I'd mention it, a headset or mouse & keyboard?

If there aren't other devices connected other than the controller then you could try disconnecting the controller completely and see if the dimming happens after 2 minutes then. If it still doesn't dim then maybe its just a bug you need to wait for them to fix.

Stafford

I know its stating the obvious but its how you solve problems, unless its actually a bug then something must be registering as input to stop it dimming. You said you manually dim it and comes back to full brightness immediately, could it be another device thats not the controller is registering input and cancelling the dimming? Not sure what it would be but thought I'd mention it, a headset or mouse & keyboard?

If there aren't other devices connected other than the controller then you could try disconnecting the controller completely and see if the dimming happens after 2 minutes then. If it still doesn't dim then maybe its just a bug you need to wait for them to fix.

It works again.

I turned it off and on, restarted the Xbox via the settings menu.

But when I just pressed and held the power button on the console for a hard reboot after I had re-enabled the settings it didn’t fix it. I guess going to settings and then “restart console” is the way to do it.

That’s my guess. Otherwise…no clue.

Yeah it's odd how it would turn the dimmer off immediately. The only thing connected is a loose USB cable. But I now notice that my TV remote is able to navigate the Xbox too, lol wtf.

Top Bottom