• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series's Retail mode no longer allowing emulators, Xbox starts banning users (15 day suspension warnings)

Hendrick's Hendrick's O Ozriel
ULDw6k4.gif

willothedog

Wasn't the team behind the retail apps charging for them now? Once you are profiteering that is when the corps will come after you.

Just make a separate Turkish account and get dev mode for less than two quid.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Pathetic.
So why even use the Xbox for development mode? Just steam up.
If you don’t understand what dev mode is about and have never used it, why are you talking so much about it here?

And I don’t have a living room PC so that’s why I don’t just use a PC for emulation. The Xbox was perfect.

And if you think the reboot issue is pathetic…
I went and clocked it.

It currently takes 4 minutes and 45 seconds from choosing to reboot til I have control in dev mode.

And it takes 3 minutes and 45 seconds to restart back to the regular retail mode.

If you think that’s fine then I hope you’ve never been excited by fast loading times or quick resume this generation.

Emulated without issues?
Can I use my old discs?
Would I miss out on frame boost or could I get that through emulators?
What’s a SFF PC?

List all the downsides. I’m seriously considering this. Would mean I could play Starfield with mods and at 60fps in the couch with home theater sound 👌
1. Yes, usually, but it is on a per game basis
2. Yes
3. You have tons of settings you can tweak, you can upscale resolution and boost framerate
4. No idea.

Downsides: Game compatibility is on a per game basis. Everything up until ps2 gen will work 100%. PS2 gen is a bit sloppy on a handful of games. PS3 gen has compatibility issues sporadically - many games work fine but some dont work very well without tweaks. On PS3 era games you will need to manually tweak specific settings on a per game basis. There are entries for nearly every game on how to get it to work properly - ie, check these boxes, uncheck these other boxes, etc. It is an extra 5 minutes of work before you can play some games. All in all, I prefer it. I have my PS3 sitting in a tupperware box but I prefer to play my old games on an emulator, because I can tweak settings and also can avoid swapping in and out yet another hdmi input

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I think I'm gonna trade my S in while the value is still decent and wait to get a ps5 slim for my bedroom. I barely touch my S anyway since I had primarily bought it to play emulators and I refuse to pay for dev mode.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think I'm gonna trade my S in while the value is still decent and wait to get a ps5 slim for my bedroom. I barely touch my S anyway since I had primarily bought it to play emulators and I refuse to pay for dev mode.
You won’t pay $10 so you could play your pirated ROMs?

Sethbacca

You won’t pay $10 so you could play your pirated ROMs?
Nah, I don't feel like fucking around with it. It was easy when retail mode worked, but I can get nearly as much in trade value as I paid for the system at this point and just play games on my laptop or desktop. I'll get a lot more use out of a 2nd PS5 anyway so I don't have to fight for time in the living room. The cost benefit analysis just isn't worth it.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Honestly, while those arguing "Microsoft never advertised this!" aren't wrong, it's another blow to consumers that bought into the Xbox ecosystem for a feature only to lose it down the line.

• Retail mode emulation DEAD
  • OG Xbox backwards compatibility regular additions DEAD
  • Xbox 360 backwards compatibility regular additions DEAD
  • Xbox Enhanced BC program DEAD
  • FPS Boost program DEAD
  • Microsoft Rewards NERFED
  • Xbox Play Anywhere program TITLES FEW AND FAR BETWEEN
  • Xbox Live Gold -> Game Pass Ultimate conversion trick NERFED

It just hasn't been the fun, uniquely appealing ecosystem that it used to be as the years have gone by. The above are what kept me invested when the exclusives weren't coming.

Last edited:
If you don’t understand what dev mode is about and have never used it, why are you talking so much about it here?

And I don’t have a living room PC so that’s why I don’t just use a PC for emulation. The Xbox was perfect.

And if you think the reboot issue is pathetic…
I went and clocked it.

It currently takes 4 minutes and 45 seconds from choosing to reboot til I have control in dev mode.

And it takes 3 minutes and 45 seconds to restart back to the regular retail mode.

If you think that’s fine then I hope you’ve never been excited by fast loading times or quick resume this generation.
I have DEV Mode thank you very much.

wDfQeeM.jpg

GfGSSMq.jpg

So you don't use a PC for Emu or have a living room PC, but now want one? I would say it's easier to buy another Series S or even an X and then use one X Box for emu and the other for gaming. What next not enough HDMI's

sainraja

Dev mode it up. If you are tinkering you are cool for that.

For xbox to even give you the option is leagues ahead of other platforms but everything xbox must be span as a negative.
These were features that people highlighted when it came to the Xbox. Ya'll don't need to defend everything. Given how things are going, dev mode is probably the next to go but hopefully, for those that care for this, it is only a temp phase, where MS has to show they are "doing" something about it, and then they continue to look the other way.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Xbox Play Anywhere program TITLES FEW AND FAR BETWEEN
Ok that’s a lie. They’re even adding older stuff. When something gets added to Game Pass on both platforms it’s usually made PlayAnywhere even if it’s older. LEGO Skywalker Saga was a recent one.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Ok that’s a lie. They’re even adding older stuff. When something gets added to Game Pass on both platforms it’s usually made PlayAnywhere even if it’s older. LEGO Skywalker Saga was a recent one.

I suppose that's fair. I haven't followed the program super closely, but it appeared to me that support was really limited.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I think you should try starting with a mid-low range PC/notebook. Use the PS5/XSX for the new games, use the PC for emulators as well as the games that don't come out for the consoles. You can familiarize yourself with gaming on pc more easily without spending too much money, nor worrying about stuff like coolers, overclocking, etc; and without having to commit to a full jump.
Sorry for the lack of details, it’s not that I’m inexperienced with PC gaming (7900x+4090 in another room. Waiting for Starfield!) but I’ve just never had a living room PC, or even used one, so that is completely new territory for me. I’ve used Steam Link and Nvidia Shield for in-house streaming, that’s about as far as I’ve gone with Steam’s big screen mode which I assume is what people use on a living room PC.

How convenient is the big screen experience? Is it possible to have everything accessed through the same menu accessed 100% with a controller? Or do I have to swap out to Windows and use keyboard and mouse sometimes?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
THIS 100 times over. I mean come....on.....guys!

Wasn't helped by the fact that people were uploading screenshots and videos from copyrighted games from other consoles onto XBL, since the emulators were treated as retail apps with access to XBL.

I have DEV Mode thank you very much.

Same. Paid $2 for the license via the Turkey region. Haven't noticed any degradation in performance in Dev vs Retail like the old wives tail said.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
You haven’t followed it but you made a claim about it in big red bolded text?

In checking the library from my gaming PC to see what titles I owned would transfer over, I was really surprised by the very small amount of titles. So yeah, i went with my personal experience.

Fredrik

So you don't use a PC for Emu or have a living room PC, but now want one? I would say it's easier to buy another Series S or even an X and then use one X Box for emu and the other for gaming. What next not enough HDMI's
Sure I could do that but I wouldn’t get that sweet one box for everything with everything accessed from the same menu like I did with the Xbox and Retroarch on retail mode. And the living room PC strategy could come with other benefits like mods and no 30fps.

Sure I could do that but I wouldn’t get that sweet one box for everything with everything accessed from the same menu like I did with the Xbox and Retroarch on retail mode. And the living room PC strategy could come with other benefits like mods and no 30fps.
You wouldn't get that with a PC that you seem to be planning on buying either, Keep it coming...

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's sad that liking Xbox equals console warring to people here. Go gaslight someone more dumb than yourself if you can find anyone.

*edit: I didn't realize Oz was a fellow rat. I take it all back. Praise be to Phil brother.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Sorry for the lack of details, it’s not that I’m inexperienced with PC gaming (7900x+4090 in another room. Waiting for Starfield!) but I’ve just never had a living room PC, or even used one, so that is completely new territory for me. I’ve used Steam Link and Nvidia Shield for in-house streaming, that’s about as far as I’ve gone with Steam’s big screen mode which I assume is what people use on a living room PC.

How convenient is the big screen experience? Is it possible to have everything accessed through the same menu accessed 100% with a controller? Or do I have to swap out to Windows and use keyboard and mouse sometimes?
Oh. I don't have much experience either, but from what i know, you can't really avoid having to use a keyboard every once in a while despite things like big picture mode.

Personally, the best experience i've had with a PC on a TV was connecting a laptop directly with a HDMI cable. Its easy to troubleshoot whenever you need to, easy to connect/disconnect, none of the streaming lag or artifacts, etc.

Alternatively, if there is no gaming laptop nor you want to get one, Steam has an in-built option to stream games from one pc to another thats also connected to your account. That way you could have a random laptop in your living room, connected to your TV, all set up with big picture mode and a controller, streaming games from your main PC.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Where’s the thread with people saying to dump Steam and PCs over it?
Exactly. Emulators are fine while they exist on the periphery, but if they become too mainstream then they get a much harsher light shot on them and either small pieces of proprietary code are found or just the legal costs of defending them is too high.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These were features that people highlighted when it came to the Xbox. Ya'll don't need to defend everything. Given how things are going, dev mode is probably the next to go but hopefully, for those that care for this, it is only a temp phase, where MS has to show they are "doing" something about it, and then they continue to look the other way.

Yeah fingers crossed it all blows over and dev mode is left alone.

Fredrik

You wouldn't get that with a PC that you seem to be planning on buying either, Keep it coming...
Steam big picture mode
- emulators
- new games

Wouldn’t that work?

Gamepass would be tricky I guess. No reboot needed at least, but idk, is there a big picture mode for Windows Store games?

Fredrik

The Irony
???
The thread is about emulators no longer working in retail mode. I’m here asking genuine questions about how to work around that. I’m not the one posting trolling one-liners.
Why not just go play some games if you don’t think this is worth talking about?

Sleepwalker

Steam big picture mode
- emulators
- new games

Wouldn’t that work?

Gamepass would be tricky I guess. No reboot needed at least, but idk, is there a big picture mode for Windows Store games?
you can add any game to steam, doesn't matter if its from another store.

TheCoolDave

Neo Member
To think, people were paying to get a 15 day ban. I knew this would happen, didn't expect bans but, knew Microsoft who said NO to emulation would block this for good. I guess this is their way.

Well, Dev mode is still there for people who want to use the Xbox as an emulation device, just no chat while playing Retro games...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't remember Valve banning people from steam.

Before they revoked dev mode for a short time and people were saying just use retail mode. They also removed it from the store for retail mode before but now it seems they are handing out bans for those using it. Personally I don't think it's worth all the hoops they make you jump through just to emulate some games you already could do on a cheap PC or mobile. It's clear they don't want people doing it.
Dolphin never released on Steam so why would Valve ban people?

Microsoft doesn't seem to be banning people, either. They're banning boxes. Console bans for violating policies have been a thing since forever across multiple systems from multiple companies.

And they never revoked dev mode for a time. Some people had their accounts temporarily deactivated, but that was a glitch and fixed immediately. There was internet speculation that it was because of emulators in dev mode because MVG jumped the gun and published that clickbait video, then the warriors put on their tinfoil armor and insisted that the only reason Microsoft claimed it was a glitch was because they got caught. That whole thing was silly.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Personally I don't bother with big picture mode and all that, just use windows normally with a wireless keyboard with built in trackpad. Modern Tvs don't look like ass when you have a computer hooked up to them like they used to.

gothmog

Gold Member
Lame but understandable. Guess I'll have to convert my one x to permanent dev mode duties one of these weekends now.

SScorpio

Steam big picture mode
- emulators
- new games

Wouldn’t that work?

Your best bet would just be launching all the games from Steam.

You won't have a nice controller driven UI for downloading from other launchers and the like. But once the games are linked you can launch everything from Big Picture Mode.

Everything up to and including PS2 runs on a toaster so get a laptop, an HDMI cable and a controller. I've done it.

The whole point of PC gaming is freedom from restrictions.
Yes that’s what I mean, until ps2 is fine, but anything above that, you need more expensive stuff.

Three

Dolphin never released on Steam so why would Valve ban people?
So even less reason to draw parallels to valve then or trying to blame Nintendo for these bans who have nothing to do with the crackdowns on emulators like Xenia on xbox. MS isn't Mother Teresa, they are trying to protect their revenue from things like Antstream or BC store sales like anybody else and have their own policies.
Microsoft doesn't seem to be banning people, either. They're banning boxes. Console bans for violating policies have been a thing since forever across multiple systems from multiple companies.
You can't be serious with this. "Oh I didn't ban you I banned your device". It's not exactly any better.

And they never revoked dev mode for a time. Some people had their accounts temporarily deactivated, but that was a glitch and fixed immediately. There was internet speculation that it was because of emulators in dev mode because MVG jumped the gun and published that clickbait video, then the warriors put on their tinfoil armor and insisted that the only reason Microsoft claimed it was a glitch was because they got caught. That whole thing was silly.
Yeah, I was just trying to say what had happened in the past that the user might be mixing it up with. They revoked dev mode for a short time which people associated with an emulator crackdown here and elsewhere, removed the retail mode emulators from the store and this is different in that it's banning people, sorry "devices", for those still using them somehow.

???
The thread is about emulators no longer working in retail mode. I’m here asking genuine questions about how to work around that. I’m not the one posting trolling one-liners.
Why not just go play some games if you don’t think this is worth talking about?
You have development mode, case closed.

Top Bottom