• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Closer Look at How Xbox Series X|S Integrates Full AMD RDNA 2 Architecture

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
There is something fishy happening in that PR.

142767.jpg

Haven't you guys learned to read between the lines when corp's spin these kind of statements?
Just to throw one scenario out there, AMD mentioned in their showcase they have full support for DX12U in their RDNA2 silicon. This includes velocity architecture (direct storage and sampler feedback). Now, do Sony need those transistors in their SoC? No, hence MS can say that they are the ONLY next-gen console that supports full RDNA2. This is why Sony are using a custom RDNA2 architecture.
Try to be critical when reading these stuff, because it's borderline lies.
So far they have not confirmed, Mesh shaders, VRS, and Machine Learning. So until it's confirmed they do not have it. It was believe their geometry engine was to replace mesh shaders, but Series X has that too we learned through hot chips. So Sony haven't told us what features they have for a reason. They don't have it.

The part that's relevant is the recent hundreds maybe thousands of posts that were Xbox was rDNA 1 while ps5 was rDNA 2 which is why the 10tf would be equal to the 12tf. That doesn't seem to be the case now?

I agree, but I've seen it moreso coming from the Xbox side, but that's probably because their marketing has been more buzzwords based than usual. Don't forget how long fans were shouting about velocity architecture, 12tf, 100gb of assets in 1 second, etc when none of this even meant anything. Only buzzwords from PS has been SSD.
Not quite.
There was alot of Sony people claiming the PS5 had RDNA3 features, the PS5 CPU had Zen 3 cache, that Sony basically engineered RDNA 2 for AMD. There was alot of horse shit for sure being put out there.
My view was that if Sony wernt talking about things such as VRS and Mesh Shaders, that was probably because it didnt have them.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So far they have not confirmed, Mesh shaders, VRS, and Machine Learning. So until it's confirmed they do not have it. It was believe their geometry engine was to replace mesh shaders, but Series X has that too we learned through hot chips. So Sony haven't told us what features they have for a reason. They don't have it.

The fact that you say things like machine learning shows you have no idea what you are paroting. Some of these things software/driver/API features others are trademark names. If you are concerned about hardware supported technology, you are going to have to dig beyond the buzzwords and repeating what was on Twitter.

longdi

Banned
Not quite.
There was alot of Sony people claiming the PS5 had RDNA3 features, the PS5 CPU had Zen 3 cache, that Sony basically engineered RDNA 2 for AMD. There was alot of horse shit for sure being put out there.
My view was that if Sony wernt talking about things such as VRS and Mesh Shaders, that was probably because it didnt have them.

Or the much hyped Cerny got out-thought by 'unknown' Andrew Goosen?

To Cerny's credit, he probably made PS5 super developers' friendly.

But im sure Xbox wont leave developers scratching their heads like PS3. 🤷‍♀️

MarkMe2525

Actual article’s “only consoles with all the RDNA2 features shown today” gets translated into “PS5 is RDNA1”... 🤔. Great for XSS/XSX, but it is more PR around what we knew already than much more than that.

Btw, Goossen finally confirmed that SFS 2.5x memory bandwidth multiplier was against a baseline of pure HW texture access, that is without using PRT/Tiled Resources or other HW accelerated virtual texturing solutions.
I'm not sure how this post has any context to what I said. I'm sure there are people that would love to argue these points, but I'm not one of them.

I'm referring to individuals who make claims that one of these boxes are going to have a monopoly on performance and feature set advantages. That's just not going to be the case nor has it been in any previous generation. MS and Sony have set different priorities for this upcoming gen. We will see both consoles have strengths in different areas.

The fact that you say things like machine learning shows you have no idea what you are paroting. Some of these things software/driver/API features others are trademark names. If you are concerned about hardware supported technology, you are going to have to dig beyond the buzzwords and repeating what was on Twitter.
So you ignore everything else and pick ML. I know that is customizable and Sony can have its own solution. However at no point in time has Sony ever confirmed any of the features stated or having their own version of it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, if nothing else. Xbox fans can rest easy, knowing there's no compromises in the Series X.

Now all that's needed is for the games to demonstrate what this means. Ubisoft has already been working very closely with AMD as noted in the keynote, so it'll be good to see how these differences reveal themselves. My guess is we won't really see it come to fruition until holiday next year.

Sony's architecture looks solid if the games we've seen is anything to go by. So in the end, full RDNA2 or not, Sony has figured out a way that works for what they are looking to do.

I don't think anyone has a reason to complain YET when looking at results.

Last edited:
What is this event people are saying geordiemp was hyping?
It was this event.

The rumour is that Sony and AMD worked on software for
(What is going to be RDNA3, but if you say it, the rabid idiots see 3 is better than 2 and go off on their various console war bollox)

PS5 Embargo is lifted in two stages; today and 6th November. With it co-inciding with the AMD embargo lifting today, it was expected that these new features (Cache scrubbers, Variable clocks etc) were going to be talked about as AMD's next push.

As a side note, it's sad to see MS fans chomping at this bit of (misleading) news. As we have seen many, many times this year that Microsoft/Spencer says one thing and then it turns out to be not quiet correct.

Handy Fake

Well, if nothing else. Xbox fans can rest easy, knowing there's no compromises in the Series X.

Now all that's needed is for the games to demonstrate what this means. Ubisoft has already been working very closely with AMD as noted in the keynote, so it'll be good to see how these differences reveal themselves. My guess is we won't really see it come to fruition until holiday next year.

Sony's architecture looks solid if the games we've seen is anything to go by. So in the end, full RDNA2 or not, Sony has figured out a way that works for what they are looking to do.

I don't think anyone has a reason to complain YET when looking at results.
You magnanimous bastard.

I agree.

That is silly attitude and sounds like hardcore fanboy bullshit

Not confirmed means NOT comfirmed, could be either one. Have it, doesnt have it.

So, at the moment it is: unknown.

As "smart" as someone would claim:

Apple havent told that their next phone model have display, they have a reason, they dont have display!

See, no logic.

Where does this fetish for "Sony must tell 100% of things or they dont exist?

Patience is virtue.

Marketing talk is marketing talk. Games Will show reality later

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So you ignore everything else and pick ML. I know that is customizable and Sony can have its own solution. However at no point in time has Sony ever confirmed any of the features stated or having their own version of it.

At no point has Sony listed the features of the GPU, Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Fjp9Vp4.jpg

All the CU's are in the bigger black box.
Count the clusters that are in the small black boxes across the die, 7 in each row, with 4 rows.. 4*7=28. Since it's a dual CU setup you have to multiply that with 2 again, ending up with 56, wich is the Series X' CU count. (4 are disabled for yields)
That means that the infinity cache could hide somewhere inside the red square.

I have NO information on this, so this is purely my own speculation.

No.. it can't.
The red box is just the rest of the GPU, isn't only Compute Units.
You can search all you want that you'll find nothing, if you paid attention to the event today you should had noticed, the Infinity Cache lies OUTSIDE the GPU, it's like a L3 cache on CPUs. Just a cache that it's outside the machine but much closer than the main memory.

That is silly attitude and sounds like hardcore fanboy bullshit

Not confirmed means NOT comfirmed, could be either one. Have it, doesnt have it.

So, at the moment it is: unknown.

As "smart" as someone would claim:

Apple havent told that their next phone model have display, they have a reason, they dont have display!

See, no logic.

Where does this fetish for "Sony must tell 100% of things or they dont exist?

Patience is virtue.

Marketing talk is marketing talk. Games Will show reality later
What!? Not confirmed is not confirmed. Why should I believe a product has something that isn't confirmed? Sony had been asked about it and they said that info will come at a later date. So as of right now it is not confirmed. I don't understand the hostility those features are not needed to provide great games. Sony proved that all gen. But until shown otherwise future games are going to show a performance gap once developers start taking advantage of features.

Chukhopops

So in the end, does it mean that the original leak from ages ago was true? About the PS5 not being full RDNA2 and the XSX being full RDNA2?

To be clear I think custom implementation is fine and I think Sony knows what they are doing. It’s still crazy if this original leak turns out to be true after all this time.

At no point has Sony listed the features of the GPU, Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
It also means not confirmed. Let's be real if this news was the other way around we know how the narrative would be. This isn't a judicial case. This is silicone. As of this moment it isn't confirmed which is 100% fact and can't be denied. So until it is confirmed no one should assume it exist.

RaySoft

That's not what it says dummy.....
But why would Sony has to wait for DX12U features anyways? MS' boxes are the same as PC's now. It's in MS' interest to make sure they worked close with AMD so that their API (DX12U) would receive full hardware support even for PC market.
No.. it can't.
The red box is just the rest of the GPU, isn't only Compute Units.
You can search all you want that you'll find nothing, if you paid attention to the event today you should had noticed, the Infinity Cache lies OUTSIDE the GPU, it's like a L3 cache on CPUs. Just a cache that it's outside the machine but much closer than the main memory.
Idk if you even read my post? I counted all the CU's for you, it's situated in the thin black box below the red outline. The is no CU's inside there.
But then again, as I stated, it doesnt mean that there is an infinity cache there.

Last edited:
I love xbox but u can say series x has 30 tf of power and rdna 4 show me a single game that is near that claims , wow me Microsoft with the most powerful console enough with this marketing mumbo jumbo bs show us games now

wolffy71

Banned
At this point my eyes just glaze over when we see this rdna talk. Lets just see the consoles in action. Then we can talk about how they perform. Almost time...

Drewpee

Banned

Njocky

Banned
I think Microsoft has partially listed them for Sony today. The XboxWire article basically reads: "Here are all the nice features that RDNA2 makes available. We are the only ones who have them all. Remember that if you don't hear them from the competition".
We all know the PS5 has raytracing for example. MS wasn't trying to say that PS5 doesn't have the feature. They are certainly saying that PS5 doesn't have VRS, SFS and ML/Direct ML.
But of course Sony has every opportunity to announce that those features are covered by their own customisations. From now on, if they don't, they are also talking.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Not sure how this isn't understood around here by now.
Sony also has all the same IPC gains from RDNA2. That's in the "core" of the whole RDNA2 and has nothing to do with new hardware features it also brings. That gain comes from the architecture design.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
But why would Sony has to wait for DX12U features anyways? MS' boxes are the same as PC's now. It's in MS' interest to make sure they worked close with AMD so that their API (DX12U) would receive full hardware support even for PC market.

Idk if you even read my post? I counted all the CU's for you, it's situated in the thin black box below the red outline. The is no CU's inside there.

Playstation is NOT using DIRECTX in GENERAL. It isn't hard to understand. It never used DIRECT X, and always their own api's and tools like GNM & GNMX api's.

How does Full RNDA 2 translates between the 2 consoles? What we have seen so far and what devs have told us...no big differences between the 2. I can imagine that PS api's are more efficient since they do not have to bother with the PC platform or other manufactures like Nvidia and Intel.

PS4 Pro was both Polaris and Vega (not full Vega. XBONEX was only Polaris, did that change anything back then? In graphics, both consoles had mostly the same presets, the only difference back then was resolution. This time all multiplatform games are the same with res and fps. Full RDNA2 benefits Microsoft more because of pc development, and xbox games NEED to run on PC also.

I love xbox but u can say series x has 30 tf of power and rdna 4 show me a single game that is near that claims , wow me Microsoft with the most powerful console enough with this marketing mumbo jumbo bs show us games now
Late development kits means behind in development. No excuse still for MS not having a showcase game at launch. That's on them and they have to eat the comparisons when the masses see Sony delivering games with more wow factor.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So in the end, does it mean that the original leak from ages ago was true? About the PS5 not being full RDNA2 and the XSX being full RDNA2?

To be clear I think custom implementation is fine and I think Sony knows what they are doing. It’s still crazy if this original leak turns out to be true after all this time.

Breakdown

Original leaks were old.

PlayStation 5 is RDNA 2

Microsoft said Xbox Series X|S will be the only console to feature full RDNA 2 features.

XboxGAF and XboxTwitter celebrated.

XboxGAF and XboxTwitter didn't realize that PlayStion 5 is still RDNA 2 and doesn't need to support all RDNA 2 desktop features.

XboxGAF and XboxTwitter are slowly starting to realize yet again that they jumped the gun.

Breakdown

Original leaks were old.

PlayStation 5 is RDNA 2

Microsoft said Xbox Series X|S will be the only console to feature full RDNA 2 features.

XboxGAF and XboxTwitter celebrated.

XboxGAF and XboxTwitter didn't realize that PlayStion 5 is still RDNA 2 and doesn't need to support all RDNA 2 desktop features.

XboxGAF and XboxTwitter are slowly starting to realize yet again that they jumped the gun.

Breakdown

That thing you appear to be having in this thread

RaySoft

Playstation is NOT using DIRECTX in GENERAL. It isn't hard to understand. It never used DIRECT X, and always their own api's and tools like GNM & GNMX api's.

How does Full RNDA 2 translates between the 2 consoles? What we have seen so far and what devs have told us...no big differences between the 2. I can imagine that PS api's are more efficient since they do not have to bother with the PC platform or other manufactures like Nvidia and Intel.

PS4 Pro was both Polaris and Vega (not full Vega. XBONEX was only Polaris, did that change anything back then? In graphics, both consoles had mostly the same presets, the only difference back then was resolution. This time all multiplatform games are the same with res and fps. Full RDNA2 benefits Microsoft more because of pc development, and xbox games NEED to run on PC also.
Yes, DX is just an API a.k.a software library. Sony has their own, but they don't have to cater for the bazillion different PC configurations out there, thus more optimized where it matters.

But then again, as I stated, it doesnt mean that there is an infinity cache there.

"That means that the infinity cache could hide somewhere inside the red square. "

No, it can't.
it's just the "front end" like in:

Mike_Mantor-Next_Horizon_Gaming-Graphics_Architecture_Updated_06132019_26_575px.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
Fjp9Vp4.jpg

All the CU's are in the bigger black box.
Count the clusters that are in the small black boxes across the die, 7 in each row, with 4 rows.. 4*7=28. Since it's a dual CU setup you have to multiply that with 2 again, ending up with 56, wich is the Series X' CU count. (4 are disabled for yields)
That means that the infinity cache could hide somewhere inside the red square.

I have NO information on this, so this is purely my own speculation.
Maybe if you give up the Geometry Processor, Graphic Command Processor, ACEs, Primitive Shaders, ROPs, Rasterizer, L1, DMAs, HWS, etc.

All the GPU front-end units.

Last edited:
Top Bottom