• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

Derrick01

Banned
wii-u.jpg

Wii-U.jpg

Embrace the sweet, sweet future of gaming, naysayers

The kid in me is crawling up a wall to play with this thing :)
I'd probably shit my pants and pass out if someone showed me this pic in the 90s and told me this would be a regular console controller in the future.

Seems pretty gimmicky. Only way I could see myself using that is when I have to take a shit or something, and I'm not so addicted to video games that I can't take a 5 minute break.

Referring to the default controller being something I do not like.

This is my controller. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My controller is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My controller, without me, is useless. Without my controller, I am useless.

wii-u.jpg

Wii-U.jpg

Embrace the sweet, sweet future of gaming, naysayers

The kid in me is crawling up a wall to play with this thing :)
I'd probably shit my pants and pass out if someone showed me this pic in the 90s and told me this would be a regular console controller in the future.

The kid in you is having finger cramps and wishing he asked for something else as a present.

I'm sure they'll be one or two games that make use of that thing well (like Boom Blox did for Wii.) but it will be an impediment for every other game.

Hmm...the next gen is continuing to make it easier and easier for me to just go straight PC.

If I can't play games with a standard controller, or keyboard and mouse, while my tubby butt sits and relaxes...I won't play. Music games excluded of course.

Globox_82

Banned
Who agree that in case MS pulls this (to copy Wii U) that USA media will act stupid and ignore Nintendo. Just like how they did with EyeToy?

Jesus, there are certain threads on GAF, fuelled with hype and pre-E3 syndrome, that really are full of shitty remarks, predictions and comments.

A lot of you really are ridiculously ignorant.

Gaborn

Referring to the default controller being something I do not like.

What is the problem with a tablet controller? It seems to have all the original functionality of a standard controller with the added advantage of an additional screen.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Tablet controller has fantastic possibilities. I'm far more excited about it than I eer was for half-assed, inaccurate motion controls. Ditch Kinect, go tablet.

see5harp

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Microsoft has never once hidden their agenda of having the living room and more connected to their "hub". This isn't exactly news, that is what the massive losses on the Xbox have been all about, its what the 360 has been about and what Kinect has been about. I just never thought they'd pull the trigger so soon, but this is systematic and the planning was brilliant. When the Kinect/Hub dominates all aspects next gen, just remember you are the problem that caused it to succeed.

I'm pushing 40 anyway. The writing was always on the wall for me to bail out, maybe my gaming time has passed. Maybe I'll buy a boat and take up fishing. I'm just waiting to see what Sony is doing....

What a drama queen. You think they are building gigantic studios like 343 to build casual games? You don't think MS is fully aware of the market demographics that they currently hold this gen? They had stuff like that at 360 launch so I imagine it'll just be nicer and easier. A gaming console with apple TV like ease of use and streaming is a GOOD THING.

Anth0ny

Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's sleek Vita handheld / Apple's iPad than Wii U's bulky unit - it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

So what the Wii U controller should have been. Cool.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
When the Kinect/Hub dominates all aspects next gen, just remember you are the problem that caused it to succeed.

I plan to light 12 scented candles in a circle around me and whip myself with thorny branches for letting this come to pass. I hope this makes up for what I have done.

regs

I think it's a safe assumption that Microsoft makes more money from an online game purchase than an actual physical copy. Having a device with similar power to the current 360 without an optical drive for $100 isn't exactly a bad idea in my opinion; even more so when you factor in that you can't buy used games so all of your digital downloads are going to the publisher/ms

Also I doubt the new xbox will have a Wii U styled controller, at least standard. That actually hurt the Wii as far as software sales went. It was fun to play mini-games but a fucking chore sometimes to play an actual game.

nasos_333

With all those rumors we could well assume that someone is overlooking every second of xbox 720 development and releases the data on a constant basis

Who agree that in case MS pulls this (to copy Wii U) that USA media will act stupid and ignore Nintendo. Just like how they did with EyeToy?

If you're implying that the media ignored the PS3's Eyetoy over Kinect, then you're on the wrong track. The Eyetoy was nothing special. Kinect on the other hand was a brand new, affordable fantastic piece of tech (though, maybe not gaming-wise). It's been used in lab experiments all around the world and amazing technical demos and potential that the Eyetoy could never achieve.

The eyetoy didn't sell because it was a worthless piece of "potential" tech without any games worth buying. Kinect Adventures by itself is better than every application ever made for the Eyetoy.

MS and Nintendo wouldn't be killing gaming by putting a screen in the controller, the Dreamcast had a screen-controller peripheral, the GCN had the GBA-connectivity options, the PS3 has remote play for PSP and Vita. If this rumor has any validity, it would simply be MS conceding that Apple and Nintendo having input options unavailable to them would put them in a compromising position entering next generation.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
I doubt Microsoft will bother copying the Wii U controller. They are about Kinect and the obvious extension of that is stereoscopic 3D and head-tracking.

A Kinect sensor is on/near a TV. Why the heck would Microsoft desire for people move their eyes away from on screen action to something you hold in your hands? The break apart controller makes more sense. The base controller will be a refined version of the XB360 pad with maybe a couple of kidney bean face buttons and improved haptics for better gun recoil effects and so on.

TheOddOne

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Microsoft has never once hidden their agenda of having the living room and more connected to their "hub". This isn't exactly news, that is what the massive losses on the Xbox have been all about, its what the 360 has been about and what Kinect has been about. I just never thought they'd pull the trigger so soon, but this is systematic and the planning was brilliant. When the Kinect/Hub dominates all aspects next gen, just remember you are the problem that caused it to succeed.

I'm pushing 40 anyway. The writing was always on the wall for me to bail out, maybe my gaming time has passed. Maybe I'll buy a boat and take up fishing. I'm just waiting to see what Sony is doing....
It’s still baffling that people are surprised by change. Every generation has made changes in gaming, services and input devices. This isn’t really new and shocking, this is common sense; you have to stand out from the crowd. That is one of the factors that made the Wii and Kinect successful. While motion controls are still for most part still not there, they will be included in all upcoming consoles and even the PC (in some form or another). Anybody thinking it won’t be is being naïve; it will get bigger. Will it replace the regular controller? It could happen but that isn’t going to happen upcoming gen ― no rumour has stated that the controller won't be back too or stated that the console will be Kinect only functional.

As far as providing services, that isn’t only what MS is focused on; Sony and Nintendo are making strides in this space too. Consoles are not going to stay exclusive game machines, the market for providing services has grown and all the console manufactures notice that. The fact that people think that Sony isn’t going to grown it’s service portfolio is weird, they experimented with music and comic book service (both didn’t succeed, if I recall). It is all focused on getting more costumers to buy their product, this is smart and gives you a leg up from the competitors.

You seriously think that Sony and Nintendo are not positioning it’s console as a media hub? That is like saying they only think with the gamer in mind. No company thinks that way, they all want to grab all kinds of demographics. It’s naïve to think that they are only focused on you. And no, this isn’t exclusive to this gen, every generation has had the mentality to chase a bigger crowd. Not catering to a crowd is like throwing money away. Console manufactures furthermore cut out a source of revenue, which I doubt they will pass on.

I know that all of this going to sound controversial, but it isn’t; next generation is going to be an extension of this generation ― tripe A titles will exist, “casual/social” will get bigger, rise in indie development, rise in services, rise in XBLA/PSN/Wiiware games etc. New trends will emerge and all console manufactures will adapt.

StevieP

Banned
I'm not talking about anything other than the tablet. It's the reason I will not buy a Wii U... same reason I never owned a Wii. No thanks. MS may release some touchscreen controller someday, but I wouldn't expect it for a long time, nor do I believe it would ever replace the Xbox's controller -- just like Kinect won't/can't.

If MS makes one and Microsoft's design is like that one fan mock-up where the screen can be place at the bottom or even the top of a 360-styled controller, then that would be much better.

The next Xbox's controller is going to be different from the 360's controller, you know.

The kid in you is having finger cramps and wishing he asked for something else as a present.

I'm sure they'll be one or two games that make use of that thing well (like Boom Blox did for Wii.) but it will be an impediment for every other game.

It's a bog-standard dual-analog pad. I don't see how one could make an assumption like that based on the fact that it has an additional interface available to it in the form of a touch screen.

It’s still baffling that people are surprised by change. Every generation has made changes in gaming, services and input devices. This isn’t really new and shocking, this is common sense; you have to stand out from the crowd. That is one of the factors that made the Wii and Kinect successful. While motion controls are still for most part still not there, they will be included in all upcoming consoles and even the PC (in some form or another). Anybody thinking it won’t be is being naïve; it will get bigger. Will it replace the regular controller? It could happen but that isn’t going to happen upcoming gen ― no rumour has stated that the controller won't be back too or stated that the console will be Kinect only functional.

As far as providing services, that isn’t only what MS is focused on; Sony and Nintendo are making strides in this space too. Consoles are not going to stay exclusive game machines, the market for providing services has grown and all the console manufactures notice that. The fact that people think that Sony isn’t going to grown it’s service portfolio is weird, they experimented with music and comic book service (both didn’t succeed, if I recall). It is all focused on getting more costumers to buy their product, this is smart and gives you a leg up from the competitors.

You seriously think that Sony and Nintendo are not positioning it’s console as a media hub? That is like saying they only think with the gamer in mind. No company thinks that way, they all want to grab all kinds of demographics. It’s naïve to think that they are only focused on you. And no, this isn’t exclusive to this gen, every generation has had the mentality to chase a bigger crowd. Not catering to a crowd is like throwing money away. Console manufactures furthermore cut out a source of revenue, which I doubt they will pass on.

I know that all of this going to sound controversial, but it isn’t; next generation is going to be an extension of this generation ― tripe A titles will exist, “casual/social” will get bigger, rise in indie development, rise in services, rise in XBLA/PSN/Wiiware games etc. New trends will emerge and all console manufactures will adapt.

Great post.

Nibel

Jesus, there are certain threads on GAF, fuelled with hype and pre-E3 syndrome, that really are full of shitty remarks, predictions and comments.

A lot of you really are ridiculously ignorant.

Shut up you stupid Nintendo fanboy, I'm with the others: that tablet is a gimmick that doesn't enhance my gaming experience in a visceral way.

Of course I luv you and I agree with your last sentence

KageMaru

not sure where to post this.. but im smh if true

Rumour: Microsoft to unveil Xbox Lite for late 2013 at E3

All of these cheap xbox SKUs sound more like another fab process shrink and another remodeled 360 instead of new hardware. Doesn't make any sense to have two sets of new hardware in two different SKUs when they already have cost efficient hardware they've been working on for years.

Yes because Kinect is clearly just an EyeToy with big marketing.......clearly.

Seems pretty gimmicky. Only way I could see myself using that is when I have to take a shit or something, and I'm not so addicted to video games that I can't take a 5 minute break.

What is gimmicky about it? Seems like a lot of interesting things could come from it. Just having the HUD and all that other nonsense on the tablet as opposed to taking up screen real estate is a big plus in my book.

KrawlMan

I'm sorry but this is just completely ignorant. Unlike the Wii, which was admittedly was lacking quite a few buttons (often replaced in games with frustrating gestures), the Wii U has every button that a standard controller has except the clicking joysticks (which I personally hate).

They added a touch screen, and if a developer didn't care to do much with the screen itself, at the very least it could put the game's menus or a map on screen (as you often see on 3DS games).

As for cramping fingers, have you actually used the controller? The only thing I don't like about the controller is the use of the nubs instead of joysticks, but I'll have to see for myself if that actually hurts my experience.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
All of these cheap xbox SKUs sound more like another fab process shrink and another remodeled 360 instead of new hardware. Doesn't make any sense to have two sets of new hardware in two different SKUs when they already have cost efficient hardware they've been working on for years.
It could very well be a new 360 fab process. 2013 seems kind of late, but I suppose they can position it against Wii U. It's a good way to continue generating revenue.

My other theory is that Durango will use 3D stacking and it's either that cheap and efficient to produce or the lite version maybe has reduced clocks, cores, etc to reduce the die size, power, etc and is a DD only box.

As for cramping fingers, have you actually used the controller? The only thing I don't like about the controller is the use of the nubs instead of joysticks, but I'll have to see for myself if that actually hurts my experience.

Of course not many here have used the controller as of yet, so the jury is out on how well the it feels and plays.

Personally speaking I find the regular dualshock/xbox controller to be more comfortable than something like the Vita/3DS.. which aren't bad, but the screen definitely gets in the way. I cannot imagine the Wii U controller will be any better with an even bigger screen in it!

I don't want such a huge and intrusive screen on my controller, I can imagine game developers coming up with new a creative ways of making me divide my attention between my TV and the controller.

TV: Hey look over here!
Controller: Hey, now here look over here, treasure map!!
TV: Hey look back here a bad guy is shooting you!
Controller: Forget those baddies look at this!!!

no thank you

LCGeek

formerly sane
I hope Microsoft shows off their next console at this years E3 because I don't know if I can take another year of insane and ridiculous rumors.

How is it insane? Considering kinnect and how they responded to this generation it's not insane to think MS will just borrow from nintendo again to keep up with them.

MYE

Uh?

Its a standard controller with a screen in the center.....like a handheld console.
So yeah, i never had issues with handhelds and i fail to see how this will not work with the usual genres that populate the home system landscape.

Might actually turn rts's and other genres more inviting on consoles, actually

KevinCow

Banned
Personally speaking I find the regular dualshock/xbox controller to be more comfortable than something like the Vita/3DS.. which aren't bad, but the screen definitely gets in the way. I cannot imagine the Wii U controller will be any better with an even bigger screen in it!

The hell are you talking about? Console controllers are more comfortable than handhelds because they don't have to be designed to fit in your pocket, not because handhelds have a screen.

KageMaru

It could very well be a new 360 fab process. 2013 seems kind of late, but I suppose they can position it against Wii U. It's a good way to continue generating revenue.

My other theory is that Durango will use 3D stacking and it's either that cheap and efficient to produce or the lite version maybe has reduced clocks, cores, etc to reduce the die size, power, etc and is a DD only box.

Well it's not like they are going to drop the 360 like they dropped the OG xbox, unlike their first system, they are actually profiting per units sold with the 360. IMO games will still be downported to the 360 and PS3 for as long as the software sales justify the investment. If rumors are true that the Wii-U could be closer to current gen performance, that could further extend how much support we see for current gen hardware.

As for your theory, well I'm not really sure it makes sense. If they went with a scaled down Durango model, that would add more cost since they would be manufacturing 3 different configurations (360, 720-lite, & 720-core) which is what these companies work to avoid.

Top Bottom