• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

McLovin

I don't really want a new Dual Shock. I want a fusion between Dual Shock and PS Move. My ideal controller will be an improved Dual Shock break apart controller. It will have 6 face buttons, have L1/R1, and adopt the back grip triggers like the N64 that'll be the new L2/R2.

Something like that might be a little expensive... I'm assuming each of the parts would be like a mini move controller. But that would be an ideal controller for me too.

I think the Kinect is a little shonky, but a more finely tuned version that can do things like detect finger movement would be nice. It's also substantially different to anything Sony or Nintendo are offering.

Since I was responding to the "Microsoft just copies" comment.

This is true. I'm not sold on Kinect yet, but that's mainly because the tech and implementation isn't at a point yet that would make me want it, but it is something substantially different from both Sony and Nintendo, which in itself is a huge positive for me.

Nothing is worse than 3 machines that offer basically the same experiences.

Actually I personally wouldn't mind Microsoft also including a tablet controller. Dual screen gaming has immense potential. Even the gameplay demos shown for WiiU illustrate what amazing benefits such a device can have even for traditional genres.

Hopefully the rumors are true that Next Gen will be all about UI and online services. Couldn't give two flying shits about a simple processing power jump at this point. If I'd want that I'll just get a PC instead of a console that is outdated tech wise the day it is released to the market.

eso76

well, i don't know what to think.

At least that would make the next xbox the music media center i've always wanted;
one which allowes me to browse it's content with a remote and without having to turn the tv on.

Should never, ever, ever replace traditional controller though.

Troll

Banned
well, i don't know what to think.

At least that would make the next xbox the music media center i've always wanted;
one which allowes me to browse it's content with a remote and without having to turn the tv on.

Should never, ever, ever replace traditional controller though.

Your hands will still hold the controller in the same way, not a single person that I know who has played the WiiU complained about the controller being uncomfortable. Not one. Plus, based on the NPD sales of late, it is going to be smart to have the new xbox as a media center... center piece and not JUST a game console. That is where they are going, from the looks of it.

I just would like this idea more if Windows Phone didnt exist. This would completely obliterate the need to have most companion apps next gen on the phone.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So Sony will go this route I presume:

ZLyqm.jpg

Or just synergy up with the Vita as the Controller... a $250 Controller LOL

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
MS would be stupid to not show this system this year. Are they seriously going to let Nintendo steal the show?

Well, the U certainly didn't steal the show during it's debut. It'll be the games that steal the show, and with Halo 4 and Fable coming to the current 360, what would they have to show for their next Xbox? Certainly nothing to compare to a U Zelda or Metroid, so better to just do a simple announcement, and show the system when you have something worth showing.

The next Xbox will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player finger-tracking Kinect. We told you all that last month. This month, our sources tell us it will have a touchscreen, too.

et.jpg

E.T Packaged CONFIRMED !!!

Nose Master

I sometimes convince myself the Wii-U tablet was a rope-a-dope, just to create situations like this.

I know they would never do anything that awesome. May god have mercy on our souls.

Wozzer

Certainly makes sense to see this direction for the upcoming generation. Particularly looking at Sony, considering their recently launched PSVita combined with these rumours and what we already know of the WiiU;

ps3-firmware-update-v-4-00-ps-vita-news-1.jpg

It fits the specifications;
  • Cameras for augmented reality gaming
  • Touch based controls back front and rear
  • Gyroscope for motion gameplay
  • OLED front screen for interface additions or AR
  • Has all of the required buttons to control any current PS3 game (lost triggers on OLED)

And then from use focus;
  • Already focused on getting PS3 to PSVita streaming strong
  • Transfarrrrrrrring of game saves from console to portable (take friends, profiles on controller)
  • Crossplay letting you continue the PS3/4 game when TV is taken

It's basically the WiiU controller specifications and design, coupled with PS sensibility and control focus. It reads like an upcoming announcement for PS4 with a Vita-like cut down controller OR alternatively 'buy our Vita today!'. Or altneratively keep to their "no PS4" announcement and maintain the PS3 life cycle as they keep dreaming, with another fresh Kinect/Move rebranding and model.

Fantastic marketing ploy if it was the case.

Cheebo

Banned
If all 3 manufacturers do this, is that actually good or bad for Apple?

" The additional cost of a screened controller could certainly explain the most recent dev kit leaks."

...go on.

Not sure Apple would really care. It's a completely different market. iPad's are computers with touch screens. These are video game systems with touch screens. It's just everything in all the tech fields are going touch screen. Phones via smartphones, Computers via tablets, and now game systems. It'd be like saying video game systems hurt desktop sales. Not really relevant.

Zoe

Or just synergy up with the Vita as the Controller... a $250 Controller LOL

Even the Wii U controller is going to be so expensive that a family would only be expected to have one. It would be impressive if MS came up with a solution that would be economical enough for someone to have more than one tablet controller.

I'll buy day 1 if this is true. I'll pre-order, I'll get a couple crappy launch games, and I'll wear an Xbox shirt. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This captures my imagination. If it is properly executed, and not killed by only half committing to it, then it's going to rock.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Absolutely. MS blew away the competition the last several years. If you think differently you weren't paying attention.

LOL no. And I LOVE Kinect, which is what the last two have been focused on. Microsoft's conferences weren't the best.

Like this?

This is really as close to the description as it can be and look how fucking ugly and non-ergonomic this looks.

It has to be iPad-like form factor.

Do not add LCD to existing controllers Microsoft... think outside the box and bring CONTROLLER to existing LCD screens (iPad).

Cheebo

Banned
If so I hope MS does multi-touch. Nintendo dropped the ball with Wii U's. Single-touch touch screens are really outdated.

lefantome

WHAT IF:

Xbox 720 is a REAL tablet with windows 8 on it?

a real expensive tablet(= ipad) but with amazing graphics capabilities(for tablets, for consoles will be like shit) able to stream the video output on tvs?

Sweeney just said he see a future in the tablet market...

Cheebo

Banned
WHAT IF:

Xbox 720 is a REAL tablet with windows 8 on it?

a real expensive tablet(= ipad) but with amazing graphics capabilities(for tablets, for consoles will be like shit) able to stream the video output on tvs?

Sweeney just said he see a future in the tablet market...

So basically exactly what iPad already does with the Apple TV box. I think MS will have to do a bit more than exactly what Apple is doing right now except with buttons on the sides of the tablet:
real-racing-2-ipad-apple-tv-airplay_game.jpg

lefantome

So basically exactly what iPad already does with the Apple TV box. I think MS will have to do a bit more than exactly what Apple is doing right now except with buttons on the sides of the tablet:
real-racing-2-ipad-apple-tv-airplay_game.jpg

exactly, I know people at MS sometimes take crazy decisions.
But in this case it's a way to sell windows8, windows 8 phones, windows 8 tablets & moar.

Cheebo

Banned
Well the GAF reaction thread if Xbox 3 is basically just a Xbox branded Apple TV box would be interesting at the very least.

ElTopo said:
On topic:
Why ? If you're launching (presumably) after Nintendo, why come up with the same gimmick ?
If you look at it as a gimmick, it doesn't make sense. But to turn away a new feature just because you won't be the first to use it is silly, and you risk lacking what's considered a new standard feature elsewhere.
Tookay said:
This rumor doesn't say anything about gyros, a camera, or game-streaming to the device, so I think they're still differentiated somewhat.
No way any new controller totally lacks motion controls. The last time a new console or handheld released without them was the Xbox 360. Game streaming isn't anything special--if it's got the screen, it's just a matter of what it's told to display. Camera it might lack, but if Kinect is standard anyway it wouldn't be such a big deal to lack it per-controller.

Cheebo

Banned
If you look at it as a gimmick, it doesn't make sense. But to turn away a new feature just because you won't be the first to use it is silly, and you risk lacking what's considered a new standard feature elsewhere.

No way any new controller totally lacks motion controls. The last time a new console or handheld released without them was the Xbox 360. Game streaming isn't anything special--if it's got the screen, it's just a matter of what it's told to display. Camera it might lack, but if Kinect is standard anyway it wouldn't be such a big deal to lack it per-controller.
Not to mention every tablet on the market place now includes motion/gyro's and cameras. No way Microsoft would leave these out.

SykoTech

Exactly. I'm not too keen on these "tablet" style controllers. The Wii U controller looks uncomfortable to me.

Yep, agreed. I'm not a child that needs to share the TV with my parents either. And looking at the screen for a map/inventory isn't a big deal or selling point at all.

A step up from the Wii-mote I guess, but that's not saying much. I'd take a regular controller over a tablet one anyday.

Gaborn

Microsoft's next Xbox is set to include a Wii U-like touchscreen controller, a report in Xbox World magazine has claimed.

Writing in its latest issue, XBW's sources report the next Xbox "will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player, finger-tracking Kinect."

The mag claims Microsoft is experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's PS Vita than Wii U's "bulky unit".

It goes on to describe the Xbox 720 pad as "an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks."

"That touchcreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console," it claims. "It could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when you're playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you."

If you're starting to think this sounds awfully expensive, says XBW, you're right - the mag speculates Xbox 720 could come in at as much as £399.

"Microsoft are playing it safe with the CPU and GPU but running wild with the functions that will change how you play, but it won't be cheap."

It's not the first rumour that's pointed to Microsoft's possible plans for a Wii U-like controller: Last month Gamespot suggested there are "strong signs" that a tablet component will figure heavily in the next Xbox.

Story Here

elcranky

Banned
LOL no. And I LOVE Kinect, which is what the last two have been focused on. Microsoft's conferences weren't the best.

There is really very little to argue about. MS clearly dominated the conference in recent years from a corporate strategy view point, which is really the only rational way to judge the conference. I think you are confusing most entertaining or pandering with most effective.

The ESPN app alone is >> than the last several years of Nintendo and Sony conferences.

Anth0ny

There is really very little to argue about. MS clearly dominated the conference in recent years from a corporate strategy view point, which is really the only rational way to judge the conference. I think you are confusing most entertaining or pandering with most effective.

The ESPN app alone is >> than the last several years of Nintendo and Sony conferences.

I don't think anyone at GAF is judging them from that stand point. We couldn't give any less of a fuck about corporate strategy, we want games.

It's possible to please everyone! (Nintendo at E3 2004 and 2006)

Top Bottom