• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xcloud latency almost identical to current consoles... would you use it then?

If xcloud latency is the same as your current console would you use it?

• Yes .. but will always have a “pro console” anyway may use streaming sometimes

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • Yes and id consider not upgrading my current console if i could play 4k next gen on it

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Yes and id bin all other gaming gear for it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes if i moved but i cant now because my bandwidth is too low / distance to Azure too far

• No because i dont believe this test

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • No because i dont like streaming artifacts

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • No because i dont trust subscription “ownership”

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • No because its xbox if it was PC or playstation i would

• No because all of the above

Votes: 17 18.9%

• Total voters

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
A few weeks ago my family and another went away for a few nights in a lodge, there where times when the kids were watching there programs on the tv and on the night adults watching programs i wasn't interested in. There was decent wifi and i thought it would have been ideal to stream my Xbox games, maybe not fast fps etc but something slow paced. That's what i think this would be great for.

NickFire

For me this entire article can be summed up as:

"We tried out Project Xcloud on a Samsung Galaxy S8, mounted to an Xbox One controller connected via USB. The game was running on the Microsoft Theater's Wi-Fi connection, but a Microsoft representative couldn't comment on the bandwidth or other details of that connection."

and

"We'll of course have to hold off a final assessment until we can try out Xcloud on our home networks on a variety of different games (and comparisons against those games running locally). "

logicslayer

I think we all know how cloud gaming is going to work. I hope we're all smart enough and experienced enough to know what we'll get. I've experienced just about every cloud gaming tech that has come along and all of them have input lag. You're not gonna be playing competitive matches on this damn thing. I'd be happy just to be able to quickly play some games on the go. It doesn't need to be perfect. That's why I will always have a console at home.

Also, if you want to test something similar, go stream a game on Mixer. Pick up your phone and go watch your stream. Now, play the game while watching your phone. In most cases for me, It's playable. Not Ideal, but playable.

Journey

Banned
This (or similar) GIFs should be posted in every thread in which someone claims that the input lag of xCloud or Stadia (or any other streaming service for that matter) is "indistinguishable" or "inperceptible".

Also, loving the hilarious "it wasn't shot using high speed camera" deflections. Calm down, people have eyes and they can easily tell whether there is noticable input lag or not.

This (or similar) Pics should be posted in every thread in which claims that current gen consoles can produce good graphics/games

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
To fair the amount of traffic at E3 on the network would be insane. Surprised they where running on wifi at all, even then the dedicated hardline into e3 would be saturated as well.
That's 50k total people for the show IIUC, not even taking into account that there's probably not 50k people in the building AT ALL TIMES

NAWH BRO THEY GOT MESH NETWORKING THAT MAKES EVERYTHING GOOD RIGHT
"Shit, we didn't account for wireless by nature being unreliable....SWAP IT TO HARD WIRES BEFORE THEY NOTICE QUICK!"

There's no way in hell my village will ever be close enough to a data centre for lag to not be incredibly noticable, even ignoring how much worse streamed image quality is and how my broadband only got upgraded enough to handle 1080p video streaming last year, and unreliabley at that.

Maybe this is the future of gaming for some, but it's just not viable as an option for me. And that's without even touching the bollocks surrounding game ownership.
YEP!
It's not any better over here in the States, let me tell you.
I talk to clients in rural areas on a regular basis complaining about server issues on my end when they're spouting "WE JUST GOT UPGRADED TO 10MB DOWN IT'S THE FASTEST IN THE AREA, THE PROBLEM IS ON YOUR END!"
Meanwhile, fiber in my area is dropping consumers 1GB down speeds like it's Star Trek up in herya

for reference because some of you may not have the leet network skills to run ping or speedtest lol... im 400 miles from the nearest Azure data center and its got a ping of 30 ms ..( from my iphone over my wifi to my cable internet) over 4 g my ping is 32 ms..If we had one in my city it would be 5 ms.

If i was running an xcloud game the latency based on this video would be about 100 ms so about the same as a 30 fps console game and faster than a 60 fps game without the tv in game mode.

If you want to get to the point either the Artstechnica video has been faked or azure and xcloud deliver < 70 ms end to end latency.
That's removing a LOT of elements from networking if you're just considering the two end points; you could have an issue at a Level 3 hop, or even a Verizon hop. Hell, what about the amount of packet loss you had on your tests? If you have 30ms but 30% packet loss you're going to notice a HUGE amount of chunking and latency as it consistently is retransmitting or skipping previously sent packets.

One of the large problems this has, from an IT aspect, is WHAT is being transferred and not being able to own ALL the lines in between the client and server to be able to control that data; essentially saying they can't control the experience as soon as it leaves their data center, and there's nothing they can really do about it but spend a phat amount of money to be able to control it.
Also, with things like Net Neutrality, you could see that your ISP charges you extra for that service, although that's not how the current market works.

This also doesn't take into account any congestion on the actual server or client end, that would need to wait to be processed before being sent out.

One thing I do want to make clear to people
Wired connections are going to die in the future, at SOME point, because of that looking at the current wireless technologies and working to improve on the current is what will lead to innovations in the future
We have laid enough copper cabling to go to Pluto round trip >>8<< times; replacing that amount of cabling every time a new progression comes out is STUPID costly

IEEE (The people who sit around and argue about theoretical IT) has taken notice to this and is pushing to make wireless technologies more reliable and dominant because of SUPPOSEDLY lower maintenance costs....If they can figure it out

All in all, this is all about DRM and investor's sake and nothing more.
Sure, you won't have to buy a new box every gen, but it's sure as hell cheaper to do it that way

Ultimate yearly cost: 12 x $15 = $180
Current gen = 7 years (At least)
$180 x 7 = $1260
That doesn't include games you purchased digitally, and may lose if the service shuts down.
That doesn't include if you ever want to dust off the old console and play it; not supported on the service anymore? Suck outta luck.
That's also doesn't include the limited amount of "Play Anywhere," titles.

Xbox One and PS4 launched at $500 and $400 respectively.

I just got a data overage notice from Comcast like 3 days ago and all I did this month was watch Stranger Things and stream mlb.tv.

I wish I could give streaming a shot but it’s not worth potentially 200 bucks a month of data overage fees. Comcast is my only option currently. Can’t wait till that changes

Woo-Fu

Banned
Until you test it from my house I'm not putting any weight on your test results. So the answer is: Nope.

DanielsM

Banned

67ms is just going to get most people to the front gate of the datacenter and back, not including internal routing, processing of the input, and return of the image/sound and unpacking the image/sounds/etc on the client side. I'm getting 50-70m latency to Azure in the east and I'm only a few hundred miles away, I get huge spikes every 10-20 seconds between 150-200ms (every few minutes I get spikes north of 500ms)... and this is just simple ping packets.

What they are talking about is nonsense in anything other than a small lab.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned

67ms is just going to get most people to the front gate of the datacenter and back, not including internal routing, processing of the input, and return of the image/sound and unpacking the image/sounds/etc on the client side. I'm getting 50-70m latency to Azure in the east and I'm only a few hundred miles away, I get huge spikes every 10-20 seconds between 150-200ms (every few minutes I get spikes north of 500ms)... and this is just simple ping packets.

What they are talking about is nonsense in anything other than a small lab.

Look, I'm skeptical as well, just not as skeptical as some of you. I want to see more evidence before believing it will work, but also I'm not just claiming it will never work or that it's impossible to ever be feasible for any serious gamer. I'm old enough to remember when people claimed streaming HD was impossible, and I know that it has nothing to do with gaming, but HD video at the time using Mpeg-2 compression is hard to stream with even today's bandwidth, so I don't blame people for being skeptical when the average broadband speed of that time wouldn't be considered broadband today, but now using modern compression techniques like h.265, we can even stream 4K at relatively good quality with the minimum required by law to be called Broadband. Likewise we don't know any of the workings in the back-end streaming techniques, what if there's a way to send and receive just the input data stream independent of the video? look I don't claim to know anything about streaming, but everyone is investing heavily on this and someone is bound to find a solution at some point, technology surprises people every day. Worst case scenario, if the service sucks, no one is forced to buy into it.

Last edited:
67ms is, but lets ignore this link and instead focus on the one where thousands of people were on the floor and connected to the same WiFi :p

MS should be more than capable of running just as well with people on the same wifi if the servers are good. If google can do it and Microsoft can't there's a problem on Microsofts end. They need better engineers.

DanielsM

Banned
Look, I'm skeptical as well, just not as skeptical as some of you. I want to see more evidence before believing it will work, but also I'm not just claiming it will never work or that it's impossible to ever be feasible for any serious gamer. I'm old enough to remember when people claimed streaming HD was impossible, and I know that it has nothing to do with gaming, but HD video at the time using Mpeg-2 compression is hard to stream with even today's bandwidth, but using modern compression techniques like h.265, we can even stream 4K at relatively good quality. Worst case scenario, if the service sucks, no one is forced to buy into it.

Well, it does work (depending on a person's definition of working), I've been using game streaming for 10 years. It works, just not much incentive for consumers to go in that direction, generally speaking, meaning their primary way of playing... as an option in a pinch, sure.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I feel like I'll use streaming but not as a replacement. More so as a option for like say playing in bed.
Wait... I always played from my bed... My TV is right in front of it and the controller is always on the side.

I had to get up to pee yet.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
The only way I would ever use streaming is as an 'add-on' product.
Basically Game Pass giving me access to a library of games on either a PC or streaming.
Then what would be nice is that if I bought a game on xbox/pc it would unlock the streaming version.
Without those conditions no thanks, not paying full price for a stream.
You sir. Should be the head of the Google Stadia Project. This is much better than the shithole they are trying to sell.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Only if it can match console image quality. What's the point in 4k if the games aren't full resolution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom