• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

McNum

Yeah, but I need to break concealment early to waste the two first guys to get to the device in time, and when the sectoid pop ups with his 7 hp and my rookies' inability to hit anything it's difficult to get to him before he starts his shenanigans. Enemy overwatch makes it difficult to sprint there too.

I completed XCOM and EW on Classic twice but this is breaking me, lol. :(
Sectoids hate Flashbangs. Try tossing one at a Sectoid and see what happens. It's hard to use Psionic powers when you're disoriented, in fact, it's pretty much impossible.

Flashbangs are good stuff.

Speaking of grenades, I just unlocked Gas Grenades. Other than making me seriously consider a Grenadier based on Darkwing Duck, what do they do?

manfestival

RIP my game progress and my cool army of dudes. this is a shame cause I wasted like 1 hour customizing my squad and now I have to restart cause of a glitch

NIN90

At what point is the tutorial considered finished? Already did 3 missions including the tutorial mission. Last mission was defending that beacon.

Itching to restart on Ironman.

DesuNe

Speaking of grenades, I just unlocked Gas Grenades. Other than making me seriously consider a Grenadier based on Darkwing Duck, what do they do?
They're actually amazing. Exactly the same as frags (range, damage) but poison an area and anyone caught is poisoned.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Is the Avatar Project the thing you're chasing for most of the game or is it the first "chapter" for lack of a better word.

Also wondering this. The big timer on the top of the screen scares me and I'm not sure how slow I should be taking this.

I love XCOM.

The "shaken" thing is really hard to get rid of.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
Question regarding a certain early mission objective:
So, I failed to kill the codex on my first try, and the soldier carrying the skulljack was killed before evac.

How do I get a new codex to appear? Do I need to "research" the skulljack again at the proving grounds and do the same procedure again? The skulljack was lost from my inventory thanks to the soldier dying...

Noaloha

Man, Sectoids are utterly nonthreatening in a pitched firefight. Got sandwiched between 2 pods, a Sectoid and 2 troopers and a Captain & 2 stun lancers... after I grenaded the Troopers out of existence, the Sectoid was basically a nonentity. Oooh, zombies, scary! But totally useless on the turn they're summoned.

They really need to start using their guns.

I sort of agree? But I can definitely see the potential for devastation. I actually think they're a really neat and well-balanced early unit.

Sectoids that have done their mind-control BS and are now out of site at the rear of a bunch of enemies = problem.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

They leave a long-lasting poison gas cloud that deals damage every round (targets stay poisoned after leaving the cloud). It's great except for the cloud stays for several rounds so you can't walk through that area.

manfestival

im starting to draw the conclusion that my install is the problem. I started a new game and it was a disaster too. will my characters be saved onto the steam cloud or am I just screwed if I move the save from one hard drive to another?

As implied above, if you have just a Sectoid and some basic grunts active, kill off the grunts first. The Sectoid will likely use his psionics to either Mindspin or Reanimate, and that gives you another turn to deal with him with no repercussions.

Or just flashbang them.

They're only a nuisance when they run to faraway full cover before doing their little tricks.

void666

Banned
Snake guy grabs my soldier through obstacles. My ranger is nearby. 51%, miss. I try slash, 88%, miss. I try shooting from another angle, 70%, miss. Now he is standing right next to snake guy. 100%, hit. God be praised!

I've been save scumming like there's no tomorrow. It's like everything one shots my guys.

Also wondering this. The big timer on the top of the screen scares me and I'm not sure how slow I should be taking this.

I love XCOM.

The "shaken" thing is really hard to get rid of.

I just did the first "big timer" mission and the timer was more than halfway full. It lowered 2 squares after i beat the mission. I took my time getting to the second tier of weapons and armor before doing the mission and it paid off, only one wounded and i got the skulljack/codex kill at the end too (veteran btw)

The shaken status was removed after my soldier got promoted, just one mission where i didnt get hit, got promoted and the status was removed so maybe you just have to get promoted?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
kinda feeling like restarting. Im save scumming so besides some dead soldiers my decisions arent final, but like I said this morning I feel like all the stuff that went wrong so far was because I didnt know the systems. I bet I could get to where I am (which is just... 2 missions in lol, 3 if you count the very first cinematic one) very fast now especially if I skip cutscenes

Also, is it me or Sectoids should have a wee bit less health? I feel like if I crit one for 7, it should die, not have a sliver left /shrug

Stevey

kinda feeling like restarting. Im save scumming so besides some dead soldiers my decisions arent final, but like I said this morning I feel like all the stuff that went wrong so far was because I didnt know the systems. I bet I could get to where I am (which is just... 2 missions in lol, 3 if you count the very first cinematic one) very fast now especially if I skip cutscenes

Also, is it me or Sectoids should have a wee bit less health? I feel like if I crit one for 7, it should die, not have a sliver left /shrug

Yeah, Sectoids are pretty tough now.
Some of the Advent troops are a lot weaker, which I guess makes sense.

At what point is the tutorial considered finished? Already did 3 missions including the tutorial mission. Last mission was defending that beacon.

Itching to restart on Ironman.

Had this same question which was thankfully answered. The beginning bits only leave out the "Hello Commander" bit (Which is basically just the first mission). They still introduce characters and give you all the relevant story beats as far as I can tell (I restarted myself), but they leave you to research and build as you see fit.

Makikou

No. Sectoids (aka Pectoids) are not as plentyful as in XCOM EU and they are in general meant to be a bigger threat.

The only strictly "tutorial" part are the scripted first mission and some cutscenes. After that, they force you to make certain decisions for a while, but if you restart you'll be doing more or less the same things, just with more freedom. There's no other new story content that I can think of.

Falk

that puzzling face
Oh man, getting +20 hack rating on your first hack makes the game significantly easier it's not even funny.

Well, this is annoying :/

I keep getting this error when I try to load up my game about a missing mod, Free Camera Rotation. Except... it is enabled.

I'm losing my campaign over this, whyyyyy

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No. Sectoids (aka Pectoids) are not as plentyful as in XCOM EU and they are in general meant to be a bigger threat.

man theres a ton of them in these early missions :(

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The only strictly "tutorial" part are the scripted first mission and some cutscenes. After that, they force you to make certain decisions for a while, but if you restart you'll be doing more or less the same things, just with more freedom. There's no other new story content that I can think of.

You actually get a small bonus for starting in the tutorial, as opposed to Enemy Unknown where you were forced to make 3 or 4 consecutive bad decisions in the strategy layer before you had control. In XCOM 2 you get Alien Biotech forced as the first research, but it finishes before you start your second mission (which would be your first mission with no tutorial). The research time for biotech is also 5 times as long when starting without the tutorial.

Firebrand

Sectoids hate Flashbangs. Try tossing one at a Sectoid and see what happens. It's hard to use Psionic powers when you're disoriented, in fact, it's pretty much impossible.

Don't think I have flashbangs on the second mission, but I'll keep it in mind if I ever progress. :p

Noaloha

My feeling is that their 8 health is directly balanced to the 6-8 damage a Ranger can do with their sword, and the +2 dmg that the first Blademaster perk allows.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Perfect
F8BB84E0973ECA92759027C3FEFDEC5B6CAC9E9F

Saganator

Things are going pretty well in my Ironman Veteran game, no deaths yet (early May), I'm just waiting for that one fuck up that kills my entire squad.

Sblargh

Banned
Game have some problems with solid walls giving vision to both sides at the worse times.

It is weird too because you get the full cover bônus, but the vision is as if there is no wall. So, the vip (locked in his room with no way out) gets activated, concealement is over, the pods near me and him are all triggered and it's just horrible. It wrecks the mission.

You can even move the vip inside his cell, the aliens can shoot at him, but he can't leave because he can't hack.

It happened twice today.

Miker

Game have some problems with solid walls giving vision to both sides at the worse times.

It is weird too because you get the full cover bônus, but the vision is as if there is no wall. So, the vip (locked in his room with no way out) gets activated, concealement is over, the pods near me and him are all triggered and it's just horrible. It wrecks the mission.

You can even move the vip inside his cell, the aliens can shoot at him, but he can't leave because he can't hack.

It happened twice today.

I beat XCOM EU without ever completely figuring out how line of sight works. I'm 99% sure XCOM 2 will be the same way.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Anyone on a mac playing this? I got a fairly new "27 iMac retina and I'm curious about which settings I should use for the best experience?

It happened twice today.

I was doing overwatch shots and then getting shot through the floor of a building.

I also ended up destroying a wood table by three enemies, and with it gone, lost vision on all of them.

RS4-

I was doing overwatch shots and then getting shot through the floor of a building.

I also ended up destroying a wood table by three enemies, and with it gone, lost vision on all of them.

Yeah there's some weird shit with the LoS. Also had some sectoid hide in some RV. I had one of my rangers go in for the melee kill. Thought he'd just go through the door, instead he jumps on the roof and stabs him from there.

The percentages are driving me nuts, although I do enjoy the adrenaline rush when I hit 50-70% shots.

Still, I've had more 84%+ shots fail per "capita" than I have had sub 84% shots.

I still love the game and I couldn't finish EU/EW. Something about the adjustments (concealment, drops, and how overwatch works now) just clicked with me like the pieces that were missing from EU/EW.

Rhaknar

even very early on im noticing the weird LOS. I just spotted some enemies that I had no business spoting for example, they were on the other side of the building. I wonder if stuff like this is bugs or just jank. If its jank its jank, you live with it, if its bug, kinda makes me want to wait and see if they patch it soon, especially since im still early on. Not just for this of course, for the many other bugs.

in a mission this morning that I ended up save scumming, my guy was floating in mid air as if he was on behind cover for example

Totally wasn't prepared for the Codex dude to show up and it was at the worst time, too. Most my regulars were injured so the majority of my squad was rookies. They seem ridiculously overpowered. They teleport every turn, can clone themselves and get an AoE that one shots your units if you can't get them out and disables their guns regardless. (causing you to waste the turn by running away and reloading anyway)

Makikou

Totally wasn't prepared for the Codex dude to show up and it was at the worst time, too. Most my regulars were injured so the majority of my squad was rookies. They seem ridiculously overpowered. They teleport every turn, can clone themselves and get an AoE that one shots your units if you can't get them out and disables their guns regardless. (causing you to waste the turn by running away and reloading anyway)

Flashbang = a very very crippled codex.

I hope there will be some mod to remove the transition animation from the Avenger to the map. All the zooming is confusing and takes unneccesary time.

Are flashbangs available that early?

I had similiar problems with the first missions, but all missions after that have been successes without reloads (although with some injuries). That difficulty spike in the beginning is just weird.

I hope there will be some mod to remove the transition animation from the Avenger to the map. All the zooming is confusing and takes unneccesary time.

Are flashbangs available that early?

I had similiar problems with the first missions, but all missions after that have been successes without reloads (although with some injuries). That difficulty spike in the beginning is just weird.

Flashbangs can be bought immediately after starting I think, they were for me.

Top Bottom