• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Sulik2

Ok, GAF.
Questions about your very first playthrough.

1. Difficulty? Ironman or no?
2. How do you plan to customize soldiers? Silly? Serious? Real People? Not customize?
3. Will you create some characters on the character pool before playing or let everyone be born on the battlefield?
4. Long War Studio mods? Yay or nay?
5. Do you have an epitaph ready for your very first casualty?

1) Avoid Ironman until patches are out.
2) No customization. Takes too long. Besides watching my friends and family die in X-COM wasn't as funny as I thought it would be.
3) Random gen for life
4) Nay
5) Shouldn't have worn the red undershirt.

patapuf

You know what, your are right. I looked up on steamspy and it had over 3 million. Though it did have a free weekend too.

I don't know how big it was at launch though. Seems like it did good over time.

Steamspy filters free weekends out over time, unless it was recently, the free weekend shouldn't factor in the numbers.

You know what, your are right. I looked up on steamspy and it had over 3 million. Though it did have a free weekend too.

I don't know how big it was at launch though. Seems like it did good over time.
I fully expect XCOM 2's launch to trounce XCOM's. There's a lot of goodwill, a lot of great reviews, a lot of hype, plus the established base of players who fell in love with the first one.

This will be one of the biggest PC exclusives of the year.

Great OT, terrible OT title. I really liked this one Iron Badger came up with from one of the earlier threads:

XCOM 2 |OT| M/KB only and we still miss shots

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I fully expect XCOM 2's launch to trounce XCOM's. There's a lot of goodwill, a lot of great reviews, a lot of hype, plus the established base of players who fell in love with the first one.

This will be one of the biggest PC exclusives of the year.

Indeed. I was a Huge fan of the original UFO Defence, but XCOM flew under my radar somehow, and even after buying it on a steam sale, I didn't play it until just a month ago.

However now, this release feels much bigger, way more hype, more YouTube coverage, and most importantly, it looks like a bigger and better game.

This will be a big launch on PC.

I just wish Homeworld wasn't sent to die. Hopefully Gearbox still let's 3 happen.

Miletius

Preloaded and ready to go. I don't think I'll have time to play until Friday evening at the earliest though, and I'm going in blind so I'm getting prepared to turn out the lights on NeoGAF until I've got a chance to dip into the game.

I do think X-Com 2 is going to be a big deal. This is probably about as close as you can get to a big, AAA that's launching exclusive to PC.

Impulsor

Any word on 21:9 support?

I think the first one had native support, so I think it shouldn't be a problem. You had to edit an INI file though but hey, the HUD would adjust perfectly with no problems or stretching, whatsoever.

ingame_21x9.jpg

I'm also really crossing my fingers that the launch goes well. Apart from some preorder bullshit, 2K/Firaxis have handled this game's development, marketing, community engagement, etc. in an unusually transparent and bullshit-free way.

If the PC community doesn't reward them for it, it's not going to encourage other publishers to invest in big AAA exclusives with extensive mod support.

Mupod

I've never done VPN unlocking before but you guys are tempting me.

I won't have much time to play tonight one way or the other, so whatever. But this weekend is reserved for XCOM 2.

Aaron D.

If the PC community doesn't reward them for it, it's not going to encourage other publishers to invest in big AAA exclusives with extensive mod support.

My take is to never make a "statement" purchase out of begrudged obligation, but rather genuine desire.

Semantics and all, but worlds of difference in intent.

I do not want to highjack this thread but the performance thread isn't up yet and I think people would like to know more about performance because of TBs warnings (and at least this is a PC exclusive game so it's not completely out of place).

There are 5 presets Minimum, Low, Medium, High, Maximum.

The game seems to run fine on a gtx 970 (~59fps) and 390 (~65fps) on the High preset. The maximum preset needs around 4.2 gb of VRAM because of 8xMSAA and runs like shit on most GPUs (no big surprise here). A gtx 980 seems to be able to handle the maximum preset with turned down MSAA to 2x.

All infos are from the latest (?) steam review build.
More infos and some graphs here...

So on High with a 970 using MSAA 2x or FXAA is ok? Sorry I cant read German. Hope this game isnt CPU bound, still using my aging 2500k

Sephon

I just gotta share my enthusiasm, since I'm so happy!
Back in 95-96 somewhere I stumbled across this game at an acquaintance house and got so excited about it that I demanded to get a copy of it. That friend now holds a special place in my heart due to this.

But the years following I put several thousands of hours into the game, also modding/cheating with a hex-editor and creating custom maps and such. It was the best game I've ever played, bar none.

After that we got TFTD, and I loved it as much, but it didn't stick as well. I longed back to the surface, and Apocalypse was a new experience entirely, and I didn't have a good enough computer and couldn't really get into it.
I also tried intercepter (liked it) and some other X-Com games that I can't even remember now.
But I always longed for a new X-Com game, but I supposed the time was over and that it was a memory that would only remain in the past.

Now... When X-Com Enemy Unknown by Firaxis I couldn't get my hopes up, I was too afraid. But once I got to play it I was once again in love.
Admittedly I didn't put as many hours into it since I'm a boring adult nowadays, and my attention span is shorter, but still I loved every hours of the hundreds of hours I put in, and on every playform I played it be it iPad or PC.

Now we get a new iteration, and compared to TFTD it's not simply a re-iteration of the same concept with a different setting, but quite a new approach to it which makes me very excited.

So I hope I didn't annoy too much with this post, but I felt it was due time for me to gush a bit, and express my deepest gratitude to Firaxis for making this happy, and for doing it with passion. May fortune smile upon you, you magnificent bastards!

Nzyme32

A screenshot of the native Steam Controller support for anyone that is planning to use it:

zBsItXD.png

The touch menu has 10 abilities mapped to it

Krecik

I just got my pre-order key and did the preload on Steam, but I can't see the Resistance Warrior Pack anywhere in my Steam library page for XCOM2. I would expect it to be in that DLC table, but I hope I'm wrong.

So I'm asking if anyone who pre-ordered can confirm that the pack is indeed treated by Steam as DLC and should be displayed on the library page. I don't know if I should write angry emails to the shop I bought the key from or not :p

Sblargh

Banned
I just gotta share my enthusiasm, since I'm so happy!
Back in 95-96 somewhere I stumbled across this game at an acquaintance house and got so excited about it that I demanded to get a copy of it. That friend now holds a special place in my heart due to this.

But the years following I put several thousands of hours into the game, also modding/cheating with a hex-editor and creating custom maps and such. It was the best game I've ever played, bar none.

After that we got TFTD, and I loved it as much, but it didn't stick as well. I longed back to the surface, and Apocalypse was a new experience entirely, and I didn't have a good enough computer and couldn't really get into it.
I also tried intercepter (liked it) and some other X-Com games that I can't even remember now.
But I always longed for a new X-Com game, but I supposed the time was over and that it was a memory that would only remain in the past.

Now... When X-Com Enemy Unknown by Firaxis I couldn't get my hopes up, I was too afraid. But once I got to play it I was once again in love.
Admittedly I didn't put as many hours into it since I'm a boring adult nowadays, and my attention span is shorter, but still I loved every hours of the hundreds of hours I put in, and on every playform I played it be it iPad or PC.

Now we get a new iteration, and compared to TFTD it's not simply a re-iteration of the same concept with a different setting, but quite a new approach to it which makes me very excited.

So I hope I didn't annoy too much with this post, but I felt it was due time for me to gush a bit, and express my deepest gratitude to Firaxis for making this happy, and for doing it with passion. May fortune smile upon you, you magnificent bastards!

Welcome back, Commander.

Miletius

A screenshot of the native Steam Controller support for anyone that is planning to use it:

zBsItXD.png

The touch menu has 10 abilities mapped to it

I'm planning on giving it a shot. I actually preferred EU with the keyboard, personally, but I'm also didn't mind the controller option. But the Steam controller has advantages that the 360 controller didn't so we will see which one I prefer this time around.

Nete

That GAF-COM header pic had me laughing more than it should.

Thanks, my crappy photoshop skills feel vindicated :p

And relative to GAF-COM enlistment, we are waiting to check ourselves certain details regarding character naming and class selection that aren't really explained anywhere. We will probably start accepting submissions by tomorrow, I guess, as I won't use any VPN to activate the game earlier... although I have no idea on what Sober will do :p

Be prepared for some restrictions on naming, tho, as we want to play with GAF users, not with just characters created by them.

Erheller

A little off topic sorry...
I'm thinking about getting the Logitech G502 Proteus Core mouse for this game.
Anyone have experience with this mouse in an XCOM style game?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRHE892/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It really helps with the important stuff in XCOM - getting the clutch headshots and raising your APM so you feel like a professional Starcraft player.

It's a nice mouse, but XCOM isn't a game that needs a nice mouse.

Thanks, my crappy photoshop skills feel vindicated :p

And relative to GAF-COM enlistment, we are waiting to check ourselves certain details regarding character naming and class selection that aren't really explained anywhere. We will probably start accepting submissions by tomorrow, I guess, as I won't use any VPN to activate the game earlier... although I have no idea on what Sober will do :p

Be prepared for some restrictions on naming, tho, as we want to play with GAF users, not with just characters created by them.

Wait, so that's what that meant? Nice, will use GAF
cannon fodder
members.

Sullichin

It's the best mouse on the market, a few little things keep it from being perfect so go for it, it's good for anything. I play both CS:GO and SC2 on it.

Thanks! Might pick it up today.
It really helps with the important stuff in XCOM - getting the clutch headshots and raising your APM so you feel like a professional Starcraft player.

It's a nice mouse, but XCOM isn't a game that needs a nice mouse.

Lol true, I played EU on a laptop trackpad on my commute to work

Started a new EW campaign tonight to get myself hyped. I shamefully never beat EW/EU, but still played the crap out of it. Stuff like satellite management, alien captures and research upgrades tripped me up more than the battles. I'm not sure how I feel about timed missions in XCOM 2 because that sounds pretty stressful. I might have run the game super baby mode the first time.

I just got my pre-order key and did the preload on Steam, but I can't see the Resistance Warrior Pack anywhere in my Steam library page for XCOM2. I would expect it to be in that DLC table, but I hope I'm wrong.

So I'm asking if anyone who pre-ordered can confirm that the pack is indeed treated by Steam as DLC and should be displayed on the library page. I don't know if I should write angry emails to the shop I bought the key from or not :p

You won't see it until the game is released (I think).

That's encouraging to hear!

It's still UE3.5, so it should work again.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Gosh I wanted to pick this up day 1 but I'm still doing a playthrough of Enemy Within (at the collapsing Dam mission) plus I need to clear a few more titles from the backlog.

Good luck Commander! Remember, we will be watching.

ISee

So on High with a 970 using MSAA 2x or FXAA is ok? Sorry I cant read German. Hope this game isnt CPU bound, still using my aging 2500k

No idea which AA method the high preset use per default, but game seems to playable on a 970 on this preset (around 60fps). Also the game seems to be more gpu than cpu heavy.

Sblargh

Banned
Sooo I have to change my Store stuff for the VPN to work?

How do I do that? :>

afaik you don't.
The steps are:
1. Close steam
2. Turn on VPN
3. Restart Steam - it will say "untold million hours to unlock" but it is telling you lies.
4. Wait for the game to unlock.
5. Get offline.
6. Turn off VPN.

Rewind

Really? Thought this mostly alleviated the issue?

Also, drive you crazy? Do you ever game below 60fps? While not preferable, it certainly wouldn't drive me out of my mind....
I don't on pc with m/kb but I can play console games at thirty, I lower settings until I'm at 60 fps or just stop playing until I get a pc upgrade.

deoee

afaik you don't.
The steps are:
1. Close steam
2. Turn on VPN
3. Restart Steam - it will say "untold million hours to unlock" but it is telling you lies.
4. Wait for the game to unlock.
5. Get offline.
6. Turn off VPN.

Business as usual

Will try it out in 1 (?) hour!

Gothos

I wonder if they eliminated that annoying quick pause/delay that occured after issuing overwatch. I remember that Long War eliminated it and the game was so much more rensponsive without it.

I wonder if they eliminated that annoying quick pause/delay that occured after issuing overwatch. I remember that Long War eliminated it and the game was so much more rensponsive without it.

You can mod that out on PC without Long War too. Another one to reduce the volume of it also.

Top Bottom