• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown gameplay footage

robin2

The bad first. After playing for a good 8 hours so far, I'm glad they've taken out the time units. I'm already tired of having to estimate how many steps my unit can take, only to have my soldiers fuck up their units by stumbling around obstacles, causing them to miss shot opportunities, or be stuck out in the open with 0's because a civilian was in their path. It worked well enough for the time I assume but the series definitely needs to move past TU's/. They're just not fun.
Oh please.

Disregarding the fact that X-Com Apocalypse is conceived to be played in realtime, you are dismissing a system you just barely tried and, judging about what you write, you still don't understand how exactly to use it.

And the final "It needed to move on. They're just not fun" is as ridiculous as arbitrary.

tl;dr
wrong opinion is wrong.

Sentenza

Oh please.

Disregarding the fact that X-Com Apocalypse is conceived to be played in realtime, you are dismissing a system you just barely tried and, judging about what you write, you still don't understand how exactly to use it.

And the final "It needed to move on. They're just not fun" is as ridiculous as arbitrary.

tl;dr
wrong opinion is wrong.

"Give this soldier a bunk!".

PsychonautsCoachOleander.jpg

Keep fighting the good fight, mate.

Yo Gotti

Banned
At the end of the day, TU's are gone. "Bad" implementation or not, the developers probably saw and experienced the same flaws with the system I did, so good riddance.

KePoW

Banned
Big YAY for dumbed down gaming experiences!!!

Dude you seriously have a stick up your ass about this issue. You seem like a very close-minded person in life. Times change.

Feel free to play a different new TBS game instead, since they are obviously not changing this design choice for the new XCom.

I always knew that, despite years and years of underinvestment in turn-based gaming by the industry, it had huge potential. I always felt scorn for people who called turn-based gaming "archaic" or "slow" or "boring". I thought that if a company just had faith and poured resources into turn-based strategy, it could evolve a genre that's been unevolved for so long. Game developers could find huge untapped design space in turn-based strategy rather than focusing on increasingly minor incremental design in genres like FPS.

After seeing this footage, I feel completely redeemed.

This.

Syndicate should have been done by Firaxis.

Sentenza

Dude you seriously have a stick up your ass about this issue.
Yes, I do.
You seem like a very close-minded person in life.
And you who are downplaying this change seem totally clueless to me.
See? It's a matter of perspective.

Times change.
Which doesn't mean anything. "Times change" but a good design still is a good design, it doesn't "age". And switching a good mechanic with another which isn't even close to it for conceptual simplicity, flexibility and versatility doesn't sound anything close to "keeping pace with times" in my book.

Feel free to play a different new TBS game instead, since they are obviously not changing this design choice for the new XCom.
I feel free to play whatever I want without asking for your permission, in fact.
That doesn't change the fact that I don't have to ask permission to point what I don't like, neither.

KePoW

Banned
I feel free to play whatever I want without asking for your permission, in fact.
That doesn't change the fact that I don't have to ask permission to point what I don't like, neither.

Has nothing to do with permission. You can say whatever you want, but don't be surprised that lots of people are discarding your words.

It has a lot to do with how you choose to discuss the subject. Are you this cheerful in real life too?

kevm3

Awesome, finally going back to 'classic gaming.' I was surprised to click the movie and see that it WASN'T the FPS.

McNum

That looks awesome. Good to see how grenades work. Now make with the Smoke Grenades, Firaxis.

The Sectiod had a clear Auto-Fire shot and didn't kill the soldier? I guess with fewer soldiers, it means that they can take a hit or two now. Used to need Power Suits for that. Ah, well, I guess there's a reason the highest difficulty is called "Classic". But on the flipside, it does mean that you could end with a lot more soldiers coming back injured, rather than the all or nothing part the original had. So even if the troops are tougher it's still going to be rough.

Also, imagine for a bit if that trailer had been the first thing we'd seen of the game, direct feed. The 2K and Firaxis logos suggesting a new Civ, then the soldiers getting out and the alien activity mentioned. The TBS fights again familiar and not so familiar aliens happen and finally "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". That would have been awesome. Then again, the original reveal was also awesome. And it made me revisit the original and actually beat it for the first time.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
looks awesome.

they need to release some basic level editor to make up for random generated content. I'm still salty about this.

Sentenza

yes, this shit is unacceptable but if there is some basic editor like in Hunted: Demon's Forge the community will fix it.
Given how they promised dozens of hand-made maps to assure variety and how little relevance the battleground has to improve the experience, I really don't see it a main concern, at all.
Other things I already pointed in this thread are far more jarring, as far as I'm concerned.

robin2

I'm salty about seeing only 4 (to 6) guys running around. Seems like controlled micro-firefights all the time: a handful of agents vs a handful of aliens, with the next wave coming in as the first has been taken out.

That is: no more epic missions with a dozen of men storming a battleship with 25~ aliens inside:

UFO is recovered
Aliens killed.....................26
X-Com operatives killed.....7

Ratings > Ok

99%

I'm salty about seeing only 4 (to 6) guys running around. Seems like controlled micro-firefights all the time: a handful of agents vs a handful of aliens, with the next wave coming in as the first has been taken out.

That is: no more epic missions with a dozen of men storming a battleship with 25~ aliens inside:

UFO is recovered

Ratings > Ok

I doubt they are showcasing endgame stuff here :)

Carcetti

I don't get the people clamoring for some carbon copy of the first game. You can still play that, right? If you're 'real hardcore', you don't even need any fancy upgraded graphics, right?

UFO is recovered

Ratings > Ok

That's just wrong. Four soldiers (blaster launcher, psyker, 2 guys with plasma guns) plus a tank to scout should kill anything in the game including Cydonia. You just gotta nurture those people and believe in them!

derFeef

yes, this shit is unacceptable but if there is some basic editor like in Hunted: Demon's Forge the community will fix it.

lol. So you complain about carefully generated levels because there are is no random map generator in there, and you suggest a map editor would be the solution (so you can play less carefully generated levels)?

Sentenza

I don't get the people clamoring for some carbon copy of the first game. You can still play that, right? If you're 'real hardcore', you don't even need any fancy upgraded graphics, right?
Wrong, I care a lot about graphics and visual appeal. And I care about the game mechanics too.
That's exactly why I don't want to choose between one or the other.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol. So you complain about carefully generated levels because there are is no random map generator in there, and you suggest a map editor would be the solution (so you can play less carefully generated levels)?

what is this I don't even....

I complain only about a finite number of maps. The editor would make this number infinite. I didn't complain about quality of these maps...

wow

robin2

I doubt they are showcasing endgame stuff here :)
Well.. I understand that.

But they already confirmed that the top squad limits is 6. How do you handle a big UFO or an Alien Base?

For the Alien Base (provided Alien bases are still in: you have a single base, maybe the aliens do too) they could break the cap, since is sort of as special mission... but if they don't? And what about the large UFO? Is it going to be a sequence of "Another waveeee"?

I'm perplexed.

That's just wrong. Four soldiers (blaster launcher, psyker, 2 guys with plasma guns) plus a tank to scout should kill anything in the game including Cydonia. You just gotta nurture those people and believe in them!
You can do that because psyker are broken.

Carcetti

Well.. I understand that.

But they already confirmed that the top squad limits is 6. How do you handle a big UFO or an Alien Base?

For the Alien Base (provided Alien bases are still in: you have a single base, maybe the aliens do too) they could break the cap, since is sort of as special mission... but if they don't? And what about the large UFO? Is it going to be a sequence of "Another waveeee"?

I'm perplexed.

You could play the original UFO with small squads easy after you got through to the laser rifle phase. i never bothered bringing more than 8 men to any mission ever since smaller squads could always handle it anyway just taking it more slowly and constant deaths just make all those guys lose their cool. You know, those guys start having high accuracy if you don't get them killed every mission. The only place you need massive crowds is when you're finding a professor Xavier in your telepathy lab.

I totally missed the original video...but the base implementation looks so good. I'm assuming there will still be alien base assaults? God, I'd love to fight through that.

robin2

You could play the original UFO with small squads easy after you got through to the laser rifle phase. i never bothered bringing more than 8 men to any mission ever since smaller squads could always handle it anyway just taking it more slowly and constant deaths just make all those guys lose their cool. You know, those guys start having high accuracy if you don't get them killed every mission. The only place you need massive crowds is when you're finding a professor Xavier in your telepathy lab.
But 8 is higher than 4, or 6.

And I know that the stats improve.

Sorry for thread gravedigging...

Here's some new footage from PAX I just crossed on another forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJBIaXF9VPs

That panel was pretty great, it's also apparent that these guys really do love the original X-Com. I'm also putting this out there to try and hold them to it, the art director did say he would try and squeeze in the guile haircut as one of the customization options for your soldiers.

Also, a bit better angle http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EEqjEMG6d_U#!

robin2

I found youtube videos of the full PAX Panel of XCOM:EU (more than 40 minutes total).

Are there things I have to check before posting them? I'm always afraid to post because I feel there are many unwritten rules on NeoGAF and I'd like not breaking them (and thus get banned). Thanks.

looks awesome.

they need to release some basic level editor to make up for random generated content. I'm still salty about this.
The lack of random level generation is indeed the biggest bummer of the game for me. =\

I found youtube videos of the full PAX Panel of XCOM:EU (more than 40 minutes total).

Are there things I have to check before posting them? I'm always afraid to post because I feel there are many unwritten rules on NeoGAF and I'd like not breaking them (and thus get banned). Thanks.
You might get made fun of for posting old news but no you'd never get banned for such a thing.

the xcom fps is cancelled??

anyhow; this looks great. The base building bits are more visually appealling than the game engine proper but I'm really looking forward to this. looks like a great sequel/rebirth
Pushed back to 2013, anything else is rumor and speculation. (Not saying it couldn't be true.)

well, whoever decided to take the IP and add in bizarro cuboid monsters at the very front end of the design process needs to be fired. If the reboot rumor is true; that team just cost that a lot of money - I bet they must still be reeling from the negative press/feedback - which I am sure has been universal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know why they'd cancel the FPS. Most the press have said it looks pretty good.

I doubt they listened to people who haven't even played the game. They're probably rebranding it if anything.

raphier

Banned
well, whoever decided to take the IP and add in bizarro cuboid monsters at the very front end of the design process needs to be fired. If the reboot rumor is true; that team just cost that a lot of money - I bet they must still be reeling from the negative press/feedback - which I am sure has been universal.

That's actually a quite common process for many games. Conviction and Ghost Recon: FS are among those games that cost money before they were almost entirely rebooted.

I don't know why they'd cancel the FPS. Most the press have said it looks pretty good.

I doubt they listened to people who haven't even played the game. They're probably rebranding it if anything.

The press say that everything looks good but somehow some games end up selling really badly.

epmode

Don't you guys now find it ironic how in the interviews they always seem to say all the right words that reside with you and then the game is slowly turning totally different?
Sure, but not for this game. Barring a few disappointments, X-COM is turning out surprisingly well for something with such a large budget.

I asked about base invasions at the PAX demo. They didn't explicitly state that they are gone but it seems almost certain outside of a possible scripted mission (speculation on my part). The developer talked about how the base invasion mechanic in the original game was 100% punitive (like a blaster launcher fired into a packed Skyranger) and they want to avoid that kind of thing in this game. It was also interesting how they responded when asked about multiplayer. "We are talking about single player." The strange phrasing was probably just typical PR caginess but a multiplayer mode might be a good idea!

McNum

Sure, but not for this game. Barring a few disappointments, X-COM is turning out surprisingly well for something with such a large budget.

I asked about base invasions at the PAX demo. They didn't explicitly state that they are gone but it seems almost certain outside of a possible scripted mission. The developer talked about how the base invasion mechanic in the original game was 100% punitive which is something they wanted to avoid here (similar to a blaster launcher round in a Skyranger). It was also interesting how they responded when asked about multiplayer. "We are talking about single player." The strange phrasing was probably just typical PR caginess but a multiplayer mode might be a good idea!
Aw that's almost a shame. Part of the fun in the original is when the game decides to be evil. I get why they want to remove some of that for a modern version, I do, but still... You learned how to throw smoke really fast in the original or you died. You also learned pretty harshly that base design matters when you get that Snakeman Battleship inbound for a visit.

I wonder if we have to defend the satellites we send up, then? Could be fun in air battles.

Top Bottom