• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| On the backs of Titans we go!

We could argue that XC1 told better story but for me XC2 combat is much, much better. I actually went back re-playing XC1 after beating the 2nd game and the 1st game’s combat felt slow and kind of boring compare to 2nd game.

I had the opposite experience lol
Combat is streamlined and not chaotic, enemies don't take forever to die, no need to worry blades will get stuck behind objects and... I am slowly transitioning into reasons I prefer XB so I will stop here lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I had the opposite experience lol
Combat is streamlined and not chaotic, enemies don't take forever to die, no need to worry blades will get stuck behind objects and... I am slowly transitioning into reasons I prefer XB so I will stop here lol
Maybe at beginning XC2 combat felt chaotic because I didn’t understand combat vey well but once I did the combat felt really exciting and satisfying.

Maybe at beginning XC2 combat felt chaotic because I didn't understand combat vey well but once I did the combat felt really exciting and satisfying.

I am at the beginning of chapter 4. In order to kill regular enemies faster, I have to do level 3 blade combos but the enemy typically dies before I am able to reach that point. You would think its a good thing and goes contrary to my previous statements, right? Nope! The fact that I can't get to lvl3 blade combos (assuming I even have the right party composition for that to happen) to wreck the enemy means that most of the time I get to regular lvl2,3,4 single blade combos and that means enemies take forever to die (compared to XB).

I can do chain attacks, but what's the point unless I did lvl3 blade combo at least once?

In XB, I don't even need to do any specials (unless its a boss fight or a unique monster). Most of the time, everything dies fast and the lifebar circle depletes at least 10 times faster than in XB2. In XB you also don't need to fill 4 separate meters to get the full combos (i.e. regular combos, specials, blade specials and chain attacks) and only need to fill 2 (specials, chain attacks). In fact, the 1st one fill up on its own over time whereas you actually need to hit the enemy to fill the first tier in XB2.

The only conceivable way I've seen of killing enemies about as fast as in XB is if you are way overlevelled and go back to a previous area. Then, of course, they die from one or two hits from a regular auto-attack.

Smasher89

So you want quick kills^
Try
topple a bird above a precipice, often leads to instakills, found a unique even that it works on, getting the drops on the other hand...

FightTest

I'm now in Chapter 9 and the game is becoming incredibly frustrating. Nia has decided she doesn't like to heal much and would rather pull out someone other than Dromarch to do some dumb shit. She's also decided she doesn't want to run and collect healing potions anymore.

I have 3 healing blades on her and Rex will literally die because she's too busy swinging away to go collect some healing potions. If I don't take my 3 attack blade Rex on a slow jog to pick them up myself I often end up dead.

The crazy part is that she was fine for like the first 6 or 7 chapters, but just recently she seems to have gone braindead.

Manus

Loving the map update they rolled out. Now only if I could get some rare blades for Rex that are not healers or tanks. Out of six rare blades I have had all of them have been healers or tanks.

trugs

Neo Member
I got the game for Christmas. I'm about 9.5 hours in now, and I'm really digging it. The end of chapter 2's boss really had me take a step back and really figure out how the combat system works. I like how the blade combos work, it's quite satisfying micromanaging the combat system during chaotic battles.

The map is still a little annoying and unintuitive to me, but hopefully I'll figure that out soon.

Overall, I'm enjoying the story line, and the combat system is good. I'll see over time if I prefer it over X though. X has a great combat system (except for skells) and the exploration was top notch.

I wish I liked this as much as others but it turned out to be really disappointing to me. There's something about the way the game's designed that left me feeling indifferent to its core systems: the exploration, battle system, narrative and game world did nothing for me, and I've parked the game in chapter 3.

I think part of the problem is the game doesn't really have anything to hook you in, unlike its two predecessors. For instance, look at sidequests and exploration: Xenoblade X made sidequests feel more absorbing by giving you an overarching goal of uncovering an alien planet and rescuing earth's survivors. Exploration in Xenoblade X was unpowered by your sprinting and jumping abilities, and the game constantly built up towards the day you own your very own Doll/Skell.

Xenoblade 2, to me, is missing these hooks. It's far from bad, but it just feels like it's not really doing anything special. The stuff I feel it does excel at, like its soundtrack and the animation in cutscenes, aren't really enough to keep me interested. Maybe I just played too many RPGs this year and am excited by more quirky gameplay systems.

I got the game for Christmas. I'm about 9.5 hours in now, and I'm really digging it. The end of chapter 2's boss really had me take a step back and really figure out how the combat system works. I like how the blade combos work, it's quite satisfying micromanaging the combat system during chaotic battles.

The map is still a little annoying and unintuitive to me, but hopefully I'll figure that out soon.

Overall, I'm enjoying the story line, and the combat system is good. I'll see over time if I prefer it over X though. X has a great combat system (except for skells) and the exploration was top notch.

are you playing with the newest update? Because the map was even worse before that lol

Pejo

Got this for Christmas this year, really loving it so far, just finished chapter 2 and called it a night. I remember reading from someone that this was a "JRPG-ass JRPG", and that's exactly how I'd describe it. I really missed games like this, so I'm just taking it all in.

Voice acting is very very bad from the non-british/scottish/irish characters, but the cutscenes are really fun and really anime.

2 questions:

- Does anyone have an issue running straight forward with a Pro Controller? I've tried all sorts of things to fix it, but it doesn't seem to work. When I click the joystick in, it works for a minute or so, but then it also messes up the minimap.

- Can someone explain how Blade Combos work? My gf was nagging me during the explanation and I don't get what they do. Are they the reason I see the ZL and ZR prompts for my teammates to use their skills?

Danjin44

Got this for Christmas this year, really loving it so far, just finished chapter 2 and called it a night. I remember reading from someone that this was a "JRPG-ass JRPG", and that's exactly how I'd describe it. I really missed games like this, so I'm just taking it all in.

Voice acting is very very bad from the non-british/scottish/irish characters, but the cutscenes are really fun and really anime.

2 questions:

- Does anyone have an issue running straight forward with a Pro Controller? I've tried all sorts of things to fix it, but it doesn't seem to work. When I click the joystick in, it works for a minute or so, but then it also messes up the minimap.

- Can someone explain how Blade Combos work? My gf was nagging me during the explanation and I don't get what they do. Are they the reason I see the ZL and ZR prompts for my teammates to use their skills?
I'll explain it with an example.

Look at this pic.
xenoblade-2-battles-continued-3.jpg

Look at the upper right corner, that Seal Blowdowns panel.

Ok let's start then:

A full combo in Xenoblade 2 is: A lvl1 + A lvl2 (or higher) + A lvl3 (or higher)

In the picture, the first FIRE element, the one at the left, means that somebody started the combo with a Fire LVL1 special.

Then it says that in order to keep going with the combo you have 2 choices, a lvl2 FIRE special or a LVL2 WATER special.

Now look again at the pic, you see there's a prompt for Rex at the left with 3 little balls? That means Rex has his next special attack ready to keep going with the combo and the 3 little balls mean he charged a lvl3 special. See Tora at the right? They are showing you he's charging his fire special but he still hasn't reached the level you need to keep going with the combo.

Now see at the bottom? There's Nia with another prompt. That means she has the Lvl2 Water special ready to keep going with the combo but following the lower path of the chart.

Now if Rex uses his combo he will unlock the upper path of the chart, that means that you will need a lvl3 (or higher) FIRE special or a LIGHT one. You will seal permanently one of the enemy's attacks if you hit him with the finisher.

RPGCrazied

Still not done. Though playing other games. 55 hours in Chapter 7. Great game so far. Love the visuals and music. The framerate is iffy in spots, hoping for a patch sometime to smooth that out but not expecting one.

trugs

Neo Member

2 questions:

I'm about as far into the game as you are (I got it for Christmas too), so don't take my word as the best explanation. But here's what I understand so far:

1. Each character has arts they can pull off. They are assigned to 3 of your face buttons (X, Y, B). As you pull off arts, you build up a meter which allows you to execute a "special", which can be executed by pressing the A button.

2. The Special comes in 4 levels (I, II, III, IV). Each incrementing level is a stronger special. But more importantly, these levels also allow you to do blade combos.

3. Each blade also has an elemental type (e.g Fire, water, etc.). There are types which have weaknesses to other types, as you'd expect. There is a symbol near the enemies health to indicate their elemental weakness. More importantly, these elements need to be kept in mind when executing blade combos.

4. When you execute a level 1 special, you'll notice symbols appear in the top right of the screen.

5. Whatever the elemental type is of your blade that executed the special will set the start of the tree. For example, a fire special will create a tree of symbols at the top right, where the first symbol is fire.

6. It needs to be a level 1 special to invoke this tree because each layer of the tree actually corresponds to the level of your special. So to start at the beginning of the tree, you need to execute a level 1 special.

7. To move down the tree means that you need to execute specials of incrementing level. So going from the first layer of the tree to the next, means you'll need to execute a level 2 special now. To move from the 2nd layer to the 3rd, you'll need to execute a level 3 special.

8. However, it's not as simple as executing level 1, 2 and 3 specials in that order. They also have to match the elemental symbols as indicated in the tree. Going down this tree will eventually lead you to the 3rd layer, which invokes a little cut scene and does a lot of damage.

9. Going down this tree is what's known as a blade combo.

10. Once you execute a blade combo all the way to the level 3, it will create an orb that floats around the enemy. This orb corresponds to the type of special you just executed. It indicates that the enemy has a resistance to that type now. So the game encourages you to execute blade combos with different elements. Multiple orbs can surround the enemy, meaning they can build up multiple resistances.

11. You get button prompts (ZL and ZR) because you can tell your buddies when to execute their specials. Remember, your own blade has a specific elemental type, and the blade combo tree often requires a mixture of types, meaning you also rely on your teammates to move down the blade combo tree since they might have a special with the right type + level. Pressing ZL or ZR invokes your teammates' special. They will have little white balls flying around their ZL or ZR icon, indicating what level special they're up to. The symbols that appear for your teammates sometimes have the ZL or ZR icon, or they are just a simple symbol without the button prompts. This is because you can tell your teammates to execute a special, even if t doesn't advance you along the blade combo tree (e.g they have a level 1 special ready, but you need a level 2 special to advance along the tree, so you can invoke their special pre-maturely if you want, but it's only recommended if they also have the ZL or ZR symbol as well). This is only a recommendation though, don't feel obliged to do it, and you can make up your own tactics on when to execute things.

12. Remember you can also switch blades (on the D-pad), so you can have different blades of different types to help you go down the elemental tree on your own.

That's all there is to blade combos. It's quite difficult to get the timings right but also fun trying to manage it.

After this, there's also a thing called chain attacks. But I'll leave that for you to find out. It's basically a thing you can do after blade combos.

That's what I understand of it anyway. I'm quite new, so I've probably said a few wrong things! But I hope it helps anyway.

EDIT: Actually I think you don't need the *exact* special level to move across the tree. It just has to be *at least* that level. So to start a blade combo tree, it should be a 1+ special level, to move from layer 1 to 2, it should be 2+ and so on. I think anyway.

trugs

Neo Member
Thanks guys, I'll give this a shot when I get home. What a complicated system. Some streamlining could have probably been done by the devs, lol.

I tend to find that complicated systems reap more rewards as you learn them (i.e more depth to the system the more satisfying it is in the long run). Unlike something like Zelda which you can pick up pretty immediately, but it can get boring pretty quick.

I do think the game should provide better tutorials (e.g a way of re-watching them)

Pejo

Just pulled Kos-Mos on the #5 character. I heard she's one of the rarest blade of the game?

Congrats, but might want to spoiler tag the name.

I've pulled 5 rare blades now, but none of them are as good as Pyra, so I barely ever use them, except for field skills.

Thanks to the info on Blade combos above, I finally understand the system now.

Do you guys feel that generic fights take too long in this game? I find myself just running past a lot of fights because I don't want the 5 minute commitment of fighting a group of 1-2 squirrels. It's not really a difficulty thing, since I never come close to dying, but these monsters just take way too long to kill.

I remember fighting a dog creature and it kept calling more dog creatures when it was almost dead. I ended up running away 35 minutes later. I think I killed like 10 or so of them. Really slow, though I get that they want you to focus on combos and stuff. It'd be better if the general battle speed was just a bit faster, or if Arts charged as fast as the gold affinity link from the start, I think.

Do you guys feel that generic fights take too long in this game? I find myself just running past a lot of fights because I don't want the 5 minute commitment of fighting a group of 1-2 squirrels. It's not really a difficulty thing, since I never come close to dying, but these monsters just take way too long to kill.

I thought so too. Try investing some time in filling out your Blades’ affinity charts and refining/equipping Aux Cores. It can be a pain but it made a noticeable difference for me.

Edit: also put instrument items in your pouches.

Pejo

I thought so too. Try investing some time in filling out your Blades’ affinity charts and refining/equipping Aux Cores. It can be a pain but it made a noticeable difference for me.

Edit: also put instrument items in your pouches.

I'll have to add the instruments. I always forget pouches exist, lol.

I agree some of the time can be reduced by gearing properly, but I feel overall the time-to-kill for trash enemies are still too high. Bosses and the rare monsters are fine, but it just seems like the tuning for regular enemies are a bit off, something I didn't feel with either of the other Xenoblade games. I guess this is one way to make every encounter feel more meaningful at least, but grinding for SP is a pain in the ass.

Is there a demo of this available? my friend got a switch, want to give it a try.

Although going by the trailer i don't think i can handle the main chracter's english voice acting. It sounds awful.

I remember fighting a dog creature and it kept calling more dog creatures when it was almost dead. I ended up running away 35 minutes later. I think I killed like 10 or so of them. Really slow, though I get that they want you to focus on combos and stuff. It'd be better if the general battle speed was just a bit faster, or if Arts charged as fast as the gold affinity link from the start, I think.
For sure. I thought it was bad in XCX, but this is even worse. It takes a few minutes to kill an enemy 10 levels lower than me.

ajim

Is there a demo of this available? my friend got a switch, want to give it a try.

Although going by the trailer i don't think i can handle the main chracter's english voice acting. It sounds awful.
You can change to the Japanese VA which all sounds quite good.... I couldn't play with the English VA, it was terrible haha

FightTest

Finally in the final chapter. I'm making myself finish it as I was getting a bit burned out from chasing affinities and rare blades. (Sorry, Theory, I'm just never going to get past level 2 even though I wanted to see your story line.)

Plan to beat it tonight (and as a side goal hopefully be strong enough to kill the dipshit level 81 that annoyed the piss out of me in Gormott) and then go start Persona 5.

edit.. also now at the end game, one of the biggest flaws is how stupidly time consuming it is to open core crystals. I've had 99 commons forever (and therefore just destroying the would-be pickups) and I will never open them. I'll spend the time to open 20 rares/legendaries, but no.. I'm not dealing with 99 common crystals and releasing the trash to make more room repeat... You should be able to skip the entire crystal opening scene, not just the blade introduction.

On top of that they should have made the overdrives more common, or made some rare drops that allowed you to specify what type of blade you were going to open instead of a slight boost to their element type. I've got tanks on healers and healers on dps and tanks and blah blah. Not being able to swap rare blades out to the appropriate driver is just dumb because now they just never get used.

trugs

Neo Member
Just finished Chapter 3, going on Chapter 4 now. So far I'm really enjoying all the end-chapter battles and cut scenes. Really good stuff.

Thanks to the info on Blade combos above, I finally understand the system now.

I agree, the battles with creatures similar level to you do go for too long. To improve my experience with the game, I just look at enemies more as "obstacles" to stealth run around/evade. It's quite fun running through environments with this in mind, and it reduces the number of battle encounters I have. Obviously I still have to fight some enemies to level up or if they're directly in the way.

Most recently I spent a good amount of time doing side quests and boosting my affinity tree, meaning that my party is stronger and fights don't go on too long.

FightTest

I beat it last night. Was good. SUPER anime. Cheesy but enjoyable.

Unlike some people I have zero inclination to continue to grind and finish side quests or whatever. I am done done done. I will say walking away that I got more enjoyment out of it than Zelda or Mario, though. (Also a great deal of frustration along the way. Better highs, worse lows. Overall good game.)

Like I mentioned in a recent post I think the worst decision they made is not letting you switch blades to different drivers much more easily. I had probably 6 or 7 rare blades that I literally never used because they randomly ended up stuck on the wrong driver. I get "bonding" is a part of the story, but it's a terrible game mechanic. Overdrive Protocols should have been much more available. Even if they were like 500k I could have at least used a few more blades rather than just shrugging and relegating them to the dumpster.

noqtic

If anybody is having trouble with combat just look at the blades you have equipped,aux core,accessories and pouch items.

Filling out those affinity charts can really go a long way and it only gets easier once you get access to
mercenary missions in Garfront

I'm about 100 Hours in and I just recently got a full grasp of the battle system and everything I can do to effect it.

magikarp7

For the love of god can they patch the ai to not be so stupid. Ive just lost to the
thanatobeast
for the fourth time because Nia likes to stand in th posion when he gets down to 1/4 health.

Manus

Just started chapter 5 and it just keeps getting better. It's amazing how fun the combat is. It's really like a rythem game kinda mixed with a fighting game.

Pejo

Like I mentioned in a recent post I think the worst decision they made is not letting you switch blades to different drivers much more easily. I had probably 6 or 7 rare blades that I literally never used because they randomly ended up stuck on the wrong driver. I get "bonding" is a part of the story, but it's a terrible game mechanic. Overdrive Protocols should have been much more available. Even if they were like 500k I could have at least used a few more blades rather than just shrugging and relegating them to the dumpster.

Man I wish I knew about overdrive protocols earlier in the game. I actually wasted 2 of them moving 2 2* healer blades to Nia early-ish in the game after the 3rd slot opened up. I didn't even realize they were limited or rare at the time. Lucked out at least and opened 2 rare tank blades on Morag, so she's set.

Is there a list of all available Overdrive Protocols and where to get them?

Beat the game and was overall satisfied. Couldn’t still get the last 3 rare blades including the Easter egg blade unfortunately. Still would say this is inferior to the original xenoblade in every area except for combat. Best duo was Morag and her blade.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
For the love of god can they patch the ai to not be so stupid. Ive just lost to the
thanatobeast
for the fourth time because Nia likes to stand in th posion when he gets down to 1/4 health.

there's a strong argument on youtube for taking control of the tank role... as it lets you position the mobs and the AI will virtually never take aggro from you. why katana morag and crit heal poppi QT are so popular. especially for bosses with rear attacks where the AI loves to just stand behind the boss and wail away.

also I contend that it's not the AI being so stupid... but pretty par for the course for MMORPG PUGs. lol. AI is no worse than any PUG sigh...

Pejo

How viable is it to use a character for a role that isn't their main focus? Character spoilers
I'd like to use Blade Nia, but I tried having Morag heal and she just does a really bad job with it, though I only had 2* rarity healers (fists and rings) on her.

Danjin44

How viable is it to use a character for a role that isn't their main focus? Character spoilers
I'd like to use Blade Nia, but I tried having Morag heal and she just does a really bad job with it, though I only had 2* rarity healers (fists and rings) on her.

When I use Nia as a Blade that means Im the one handling healing then I have Tora as the Tank and Zeke as the attacker.

Smasher89

Even if they were like 500k I could have at least used a few more blades rather than just shrugging and relegating them to the dumpster.
Ive heard you can actually reroll them, and not lose the progress on the affinity chart, kinda bad but actually a option (that prob makes rare in general higher odds too).

Z3M0G

Handy chart for Blade Combos from on reddit:

All that for 8 possible outcomes in the end?

Question... how critical to battle success does pulling off the necessary combo become?

Does combat eventually boil down to managing these 8 combo outcomes?

trugs

Neo Member
All that for 8 possible outcomes in the end?

Question... how critical to battle success does pulling off the necessary combo become?

Does combat eventually boil down to managing these 8 combo outcomes?

Full disclosure: I'm at the beginning of Chapter 5.

To me, general battles come down to pulling off specials, not necessarily combos. However, for fighting bosses, it comes down to pulling off these blade combos, generating health (through potions or arts), ensuring your tank can take hits and block, and pulling off chain attacks.

ajim

Just finished the game.

Holy shit brah, I had tears. Legit tears. Amazing. I loved the first but this was better.

The Japanese VA towards the end were amazing in communicating emotion and passion.

What a game.

ajim

I'm having the worst time trying to get the random generated rare blades. I've been through so many rare and Legendary cores, it kills me. :(

GizF1

Neo Member
If anyone is on the fence about this then just go for it. I'm not a big jrpg player but the combat is fun and each aspect of it is introduced gradually. The graphics are beautiful to take in despite the occasional slowdowns and the story is great.

I thought my apathy towards this game was just me being tired of 100 hour RPGs but having replayed the first half hour of Xenoblade X this isn't the case. I found that first half hour of gameplay to be remarkably more exciting and involving than the first fifteen hours of Xenoblade 2!

Whether you like Xenoblade 2 or not will probably depend on what you're looking for in a large RPG. Personally I just found the game to be a slog.

Danjin44

I thought my apathy towards this game was just me being tired of 100 hour RPGs but having replayed the first half hour of Xenoblade X this isn't the case. I found that first half hour of gameplay to be remarkably more exciting and involving than the first fifteen hours of Xenoblade 2!

Whether you like Xenoblade 2 or not will probably depend on what you're looking for in a large RPG. Personally I just found the game to be a slog.
I would say XC2 might take awhile to get going but once it does the game becomes so much fun. I personally found combat in XC2 waaaaay more exciting and satisfying than pervious game.

Last edited:
I would say XC2 might take awhile to but once it dose the game becomes so much fun. I personally found combat in XC2 waaaaay more exciting and satisfying thn pervious game.

I outlined most of my issues in a post further up the thread, it just doesn't really do anything in a particularly remarkable way and nothing about it has its hooks in me.

Danjin44

I outlined most of my issues in a post further up the thread, it just doesn't really do anything in a particularly remarkable way and nothing about it has its hooks in me.
Each to their own I guess but for me XC2 was lot of fun, this by far my favourite Xenoblade game.

RPGCrazied

Think we will get a performance patch? Been this long, probably not. Other games grabbed my attention so I have yet to finish, but I'd love it if they smooth out the framerate and made handheld mode better.

Chessr

I'll explain it with an example.

Look at this pic.

Look at the upper right corner, that Seal Blowdowns panel.

Ok let's start then:

A full combo in Xenoblade 2 is: A lvl1 + A lvl2 (or higher) + A lvl3 (or higher)

In the picture, the first FIRE element, the one at the left, means that somebody started the combo with a Fire LVL1 special.

Then it says that in order to keep going with the combo you have 2 choices, a lvl2 FIRE special or a LVL2 WATER special.

Now look again at the pic, you see there's a prompt for Rex at the left with 3 little balls? That means Rex has his next special attack ready to keep going with the combo and the 3 little balls mean he charged a lvl3 special. See Tora at the right? They are showing you he's charging his fire special but he still hasn't reached the level you need to keep going with the combo.

Now see at the bottom? There's Nia with another prompt. That means she has the Lvl2 Water special ready to keep going with the combo but following the lower path of the chart.

Now if Rex uses his combo he will unlock the upper path of the chart, that means that you will need a lvl3 (or higher) FIRE special or a LIGHT one. You will seal permanently one of the enemy's attacks if you hit him with the finisher.

Thx mate.
that helped me understand the whole thing better

Chessr

Thank you. I'm not quite there yet. I get my ass handed to me by the glasses guy and the other dude. I stopped playing because of it. I'm at level 26 and still getting destroyed.

You are doing something wrong then. I am at end of chp3 and i have no trouble beating those as lvl 18-20

Pejo

Before I bought the game, I was ready to instantly get rid of Tora and Rex as soon as I could, but I never would have guessed I'd end up liking both of them. I dare say that Tora is the first goofy mascot-y character I've ever actually liked in a game, and I like that his blades follow a whole different system of upgrading and usability. Really a cool mechanic.

As for Rex, I almost always find JRPG MC's boring, but I actually like Rex. He's got a good head on his shoulders, and shows some maturity and intelligence. I thought the team was uncharacteristically tough on him
when Pyra gets captured
, but otherwise he's been really likable. I wonder if it isn't just because he has one of the only good English speaking voice actors, imo.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I hardly ever play jrpgs (other than Fire Emblem), but I thought I’d give this a try to satiate my Switch addiction.

In my opinion, it is very complex. Almost overwhelming with all the systems that are half explained in game. But, I’m finding it strangely compelling. I’m glad I took a chance on it. It’s a bit janky, but very fun. Enjoying it a lot.

Top Bottom