• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles (EU) release moved up, Now August 19th

Luigiv

Foffy said:
Does the game control just fine with a Wiimote + Nunchuck combo, or is a Classic Controller a mandate for the game?
It has Nunchuck controls. Don't know how the control schemes compare, though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So not only is Europe getting it, but they're getting an LE for it? AND preorder bonuses (the good kind of preorder bonuses)?

You better have some amazing fucking news about this whenever you feel like releasing that "statement," NoA.

I don't want to HAVE to import this.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
No pressure or anything European friends, but if you guys don't pre-order and buy the hell out of this, you're screwing over us North Americans. Just sayin'. Have fun while we twiddle our thumbs. :)

Buttons

Can't wait for this game, finally a nice RPG for my Wii. I'll be buying the UK version though. Not only would it be way cheaper than buying a copy here in Germany, it does not have that horrendous USK logo.
God knows what those German politicians were thinking when they decided to blow it up to gigantic proportions. That's why all my Games and Blurays are bought on Amazon UK nowadays. ^^

CoolS

Buttons said:
Can't wait for this game, finally a nice RPG for my Wii. I'll be buying the UK version though. Not only would it be way cheaper than buying a copy here in Germany, it does not have that horrendous USK logo.
God knows what those German politicians were thinking when they decided to blow it up to gigantic proportions. That's why all my Games and Blurays are bought on Amazon UK nowadays. ^^

They were just thinking of the children!!!! Now even the blindest parents can see that little Helmut is not allowed to play a game because it will with a chance of 113% turn im into a mindless, human killing zombie. They did all of us a huge favour. And remember, not only did they save us from games, but they also made most of our DVDs and Blue Rays a lot better while they were at it!

on topic: Sweeeeeeet, will probably just get the normal version wish I could already preorder :)

ooh shiny red CCpro, must have. was planning on buying anyway, this just makes it a sooner-rather-than-later affair.

Cygnus X-1 said:
I don't really understand the position of NOA anyway. The localization at this point would be extremely easy, because even the translation in english has already been done.

costs a lot to remove the u's from colour, honour etc.

mAcOdIn

Mr_Appleby said:
costs a lot to remove the u's from colour, honour etc.
This is just a tangent but are there any Americans left that this bothers? Honestly, ever since the internet I just parse and read the UK spellings just the same, sometimes I even accidentally default to the UK spelling for some words myself while writing now. I can see how some slang may be an issue but aside from that the concept of needing to translate something for either of our territories from each other just kind of boggles my mind now.

We should do an internet switch, you guys adopt our spelling and we'll adopt the metric system then we can all be united.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
mAcOdIn said:
This is just a tangent but are there any Americans left that this bothers? Honestly, ever since the internet I just parse and read the UK spellings just the same, sometimes I even accidentally default to the UK spelling for some words myself while writing now. I can see how some slang may be an issue but aside from that the concept of needing to translate something for either of our territories from each other just kind of boggles my mind now.

We should do an internet switch, you guys adopt our spelling and we'll adopt the metric system then we can all be united.
I don't think it bothers anybody (real peoples) really, they purposefully use British spelling in the recent Dragon Quest localizations to give them some flavor (flavour, right?).

I think that Nintendo takes a certain pride in their localizations though, so it "bothers" them, to that extent. But this goes both ways if I understand it, they take expert care when doing their European localizations too from what I've read here.

miksar

It is basically NoE saying: "Here is dual voice support, two covers, pre-order bonuses and a bundle with a fancy red classic controller. It is released just right after the summer and before holidays. If you don't buy it, don't blame us if we don't localize jRPGs in the future."

2San

miksar said:
It is basically NoE saying: "Here is dual voice support, two covers, pre-order bonuses and a bundle with a fancy red classic controller. It is released just right after the summer and before holidays. If you don't buy it, don't blame us if we don't localize jRPGs in the future."
Honestly if this tanks, people should just realize that the wii jRPG market is just dead and that the people complaining about a localizations are just a small vocal minority. I personally hope it succeeds.

Jomjom

Banned
Just watched the very British trailer for Xenoblade. I'm buying the EU version even if this was localized for the US. The accents are too awesome.

mAcOdIn

Princess Skittles said:
I don't think it bothers anybody (real peoples) really, they purposefully use British spelling in the recent Dragon Quest localizations to give them some flavor (flavour, right?).

I think that Nintendo takes a certain pride in their localizations though, so it "bothers" them, to that extent. But this goes both ways if I understand it, they take expert care when doing their European localizations too from what I've read here.
Just seems odd to me to even make it an issue between our two countries IMO, but then I'm not the biggest fan of true localizations.
2San said:
Honestly if this tanks, people should just realize that the wii jRPG market is just dead and that the people complaining about a localizations are just a small vocal minority. I personally hope it succeeds.
Perhaps, or perhaps because it was on a platform essentially devoid of any for 2 generations now so maybe the audience isn't there.

2San

mAcOdIn said:
Perhaps, or perhaps because it was on a platform essentially devoid of any for 2 generations now so maybe the audience isn't there.
Hence I said "wii jRPG market."

Thank heavens I did not notice this a few hours prior, for I fear it would have been intolerably diverting from the work I most earnestly had to complete.

Hoorah!

Dragon

Banned
2San said:

They are a small vocal minority anyway. People bought the PS3 for jRPGs in Japan, it's clear based on the sales. With the exception of DQX.

mAcOdIn

2San said:
Hence I said "wii jRPG market."
I wouldn't say it's dead just that none of them went to it, I mean it's been painful for JRPG fans on the N64, Gamecube and now the Wii, I wouldn't be surprised if they had all but jumped Nintendo's ship by now.

That said I still think they should provide or else they'll never get them back so that means throwing a bone or two their way even if they go back later and pick it up with the Wii U or sometime later, at least they'd have some mindshare in JRPG gamer's minds.

Ra1den

What are the odds of this becoming very rare? I don't want to import it day one if the NA release is still up in the air, but I would be dissapointed if it has a very low print run and the additional demand from NA causes it to become rare and expensive. What normally happens with these Japan and Europe-only Wii games?

2San said:

Correct. It will send a strong message.

The truly scary thing is that it's also a 'proper' game for the wii... and we know how well those sell.

Eek.

mAcOdIn

Ra1den said:
What are the odds of this becoming very rare? I don't want to import it day one if the NA release is still up in the air, but I would be dissapointed if it has a very low print run and the additional demand from NA causes it to become rare and expensive. What normally happens with these Japan and Europe-only Wii games?
Well I'm pretty sure we'll know whether we're getting it or not before it ships in all honesty, frankly I'd say we're probably not going to get it. What I plan on doing is keeping my US pre-order active outside of Amazon themselves cancelling it and then pre-ordering it from the UK once Amazon gets it up, if the UK ships it before NoA has said yay or nay, fuck it I guess I'm cancelling my US pre-order.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
NinjaFusion said:
The truly scary thing is that it's also a 'proper' game for the wii... and we know how well those sell.
Umm, pretty good and as a rule dependant on IP and marketing strength and general appeal just like every other platform. What's your point exactly?

As for how this will do, it will do fine. Obviously not Final Fantasy like. 50-100k I'd guess. Of course it won't be a Super Mario or Donkey Kong (proper games!) like success, or attract the niche hardcore action crowd like Monster Hunter Tri (proper game!) but what new IP JRPG did that? Even established IP like Tales don't usually reach great numbers.

And of course the Wii is on a downhill slope. There are barely any releases while we already have the successor announced and just around the corner. Making any point about Nintendo's or Wii's sales potential in any given genre at this point is somewhat silly to say the least, especially when ignoring previous success stories as if they never came.

CoolS

Ra1den said:

From my impression, a lot of games seem to become pretty rare on the Wii after some time here in Europe. Though it really depends and I think it is more the games not published by Nintendo.

But just as an example: A few years back I wanted to buy Minish Cap and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror new. Turns out they are expensive as hell and still keep getting more expensive :(

Solune

So not only does EU get the game, they also get a badass controller bundle. Taking the plunge and importing this as well.

if i had a wii i would totally get this! this game looks great! If Last Story comes out this year in Europe i might even consider getting a Wii just for this and Last Story :O

mAcOdIn

Sal Paradise said:
Sweet. Day one for me! It's weird, I almost feel a little guilty to be an European today. ;-)
Hey ya'll deserve it, you guys have been getting screwed for gaming generations over there and at least someone's getting it, I'm actually glad it's gotten to the point we can be jealous of you guys sometimes. If it didn't get to that point it'd mean no one but Japan's getting any games and that's no good!

Celine

RaGMasTeR90 said:
if i had a wii i would totally get this! this game looks great! If Last Story comes out this year in Europe i might even consider getting a Wii just for this and Last Story :O
TLS is scheduled for next year.

Shiggy

Ra1den said:

Unless the prices drop really fast, it will become rare. I hope that this will become the next Disaster (10 Euro game nowadays).

Top Bottom