• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The absolute best way to raise affinity is in battle with something that causes a debuff on hit, then all you need to do is mash b.

Leeness

:') :') :')

Level 50+ spoilers after
Galahad
Fortress.

I cried. I don't even care I'm just so happy to have finally gotten Fiora back

:')

I swear, if anything...anything happens to Riki at the end of the game Ima gonna sell this on Ebay for 0.99 under "This game sucks, don't buy it"

I just love the guy! He's so damn cute yet a beast in battle. I love his childish way of talking, his appearance, his interactions with the group, hell even his voice acting, LOVE HIM

and now for something completely different: I reached
Fallen Arm
, place is so eerie and apparently tranquil. After the awesome showdown at
Sword Valley where that piece of garbage traitor Rahkmum finally got what he deserved
I was expecting a more peaceful place, and it looks like it. Time for some exploration. Clocked 73 hours, level 56

and game keeps delivering in spades

BlazingDarkness said:
You've seen nothing yet :p
*keeps playing*
k2e4q8.jpg

Zomba13

Anasui Kishibe said:
I swear, if anything...anything happens to Riki at the end of the game Ima gonna sell this on Ebay for 0.99 under "This game sucks, don't buy it"

I just love the guy! He's so damn cute yet a beast in battle. I love his childish way of talking, his appearance, his interactions with the group, hell even his voice acting, LOVE HIM
YES!

I love Riki too. I love the cute/naive RPG character races but Riki is super duper awesome heropon!

Zombapon is super right! How can anyone not love the Heropon?

TheBranca18 said:
I have never used, last party member spoiler,
Riki
in battle. Should I?

I personally find him a great alternative to Reyn. He deals good damage but his DOT and debuffs really make him shine. I would like to have Reyn again at my side but damn...I can't

Gvaz

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
Spoiler:
nothing happens.

TheBranca18 said:
I have never used, last party member spoiler,
Riki
in battle. Should I?

That is NOT the last party member.

McNum

So... (post level 75 boss spoiler)

She was a pain to take out! I finally got her down with a Shulk/Melia/Sharla team, but she just didn't take damage from the Monado or any physical attack. Melia cut through her easily enough, though. Except Melia is tough to keep alive when she has aggro. Add to that the acid pits that she'll eagerly toss the AI characters into and have them stand there and go "Duuuhhh..." until they die and can't be revived due to, you know, the acid and it's a very annoying fight.

Anyway, Dickson came by and said "Neener, neener, see you at Prison Island." or something to that effect and now I'm there. Is this the final dungeon of the game? It looks final-ish, and we're running really low on bad guys now.

What level is it a good plan to be here? My party is level 72, which I think is a little on the low side of things. I'd like 8 more levels before I face the final boss.

Anyway, I hope I'm close to the end now. I'd like to see how the game ends soon.

Rich!

McNum said:
So... (post level 75 boss spoiler)

She was a pain to take out! I finally got her down with a Shulk/Melia/Sharla team, but she just didn't take damage from the Monado or any physical attack. Melia cut through her easily enough, though. Except Melia is tough to keep alive when she has aggro. Add to that the acid pits that she'll eagerly toss the AI characters into and have them stand there and go "Duuuhhh..." until they die and can't be revived due to, you know, the acid and it's a very annoying fight.

Anyway, Dickson came by and said "Neener, neener, see you at Prison Island." or something to that effect and now I'm there. Is this the final dungeon of the game? It looks final-ish, and we're running really low on bad guys now.

What level is it a good plan to be here? My party is level 72, which I think is a little on the low side of things. I'd like 8 more levels before I face the final boss.

Anyway, I hope I'm close to the end now. I'd like to see how the game ends soon.

Prison Island is indeed the final area of the game. Once you get to the top (where Dickson is), there is NO saving OR turning back until you've finished the game, beaten Zanza and watched all the ending cutscenes - so make sure you set aside quite a few hours for it!! At least 5 or so really, because after beating Dickson believe me you will NOT want to do it all over again. And at level 72, you have absolutely NO chance in hell of beating either Dickson or Zanza, so yeah...you are required to be around 79/80. Zanza is level ???, but his little spawning buddies are like level 80/81, and they really piss you off unless you take them out VERY quickly. Even if you manage to beat Dickson at a low level, you won't be able to beat Zanza...and because there's a save lockout, you will be fucked.

I was at level 75 and had to do some levelling up - I just killed enemies in Prison Island as they give you a quite high level of XP. Bear in mind Prison Island has quite a few locations, some hidden, which also go towards that.

Rich!

PigSpeakers said:
Goodness. These characters are real chatterboxes during battle. Holy crap.

LETS NOT LOSE OUR HEADS THOUGH!
CAN I USE YOUR RIFLE SOME TIME?
BUT LET'S NOT GET CARELESS!
PIECE OF CAKE!

McNum

richisawesome said:
Prison Island is indeed the final area of the game. Once you get to the top (where Dickson is), there is NO saving OR turning back until you've finished the game, beaten Zanza and watched all the ending cutscenes - so make sure you set aside quite a few hours for it!! At least 5 or so really, because after beating Dickson believe me you will NOT want to do it all over again. And at level 72, you have absolutely NO chance in hell of beating either Dickson or Zanza, so yeah...you are required to be around 79/80.
(Final area spoiler)
Thought as much. Well, I guess today's a bad day to be a Telethia, then. They're good XP. I assume I'll find monsters of levels 74-80 in the tower now?

I actually tried to fight that previous boss at level 70. That... wasn't going to happen. Two more levels and a Melia decked out in Ether Resist and HP gems was good, though. Still a really tough fight, Monado Armour came in very handy, but it was fun to see Melia be the tank for once. Also, I notice what you're NOT saying, but I had that figured out. You didn't say "Alvis", but I doubt he's a boss fight anyway.

(Shulk art spoiler)
By the way, I found out that Shulk can, with the Monado ready, do a Break, Topple, Daze chain on his own now. Then Sharla does Head Shot and the fun begins... or ends.

Rich!

McNum said:
(Final area spoiler)
Thought as much. Well, I guess today's a bad day to be a Telethia, then. They're good XP. I assume I'll find monsters of levels 74-80 in the tower now?

I actually tried to fight that previous boss at level 70. That... wasn't going to happen. Two more levels and a Melia decked out in Ether Resist and HP gems was good, though. Still a really tough fight, Monado Armour came in very handy, but it was fun to see Melia be the tank for once. Also, I notice what you're NOT saying, but I had that figured out. You didn't say "Alvis", but I doubt he's a boss fight anyway.

(Shulk art spoiler)
By the way, I found out that Shulk can, with the Monado ready, do a Break, Topple, Daze chain on his own now. Then Sharla does Head Shot and the fun begins... or ends.

All I'm going to say is that Alvis is not what you would ever expect (seriously, don't even try guessing). Not spoiling it though!

Duderz

Banned
Just finished the game. WTF at the ending.

Oh Takahashi! Never change.

EDIT: Easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played, with a decent story that is propelled by an amazing localization. In a way, I'm glad NOA didn't release this here because going off of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn's voice work, they would have done a terrible job.

The fact that it doesn't have a bestiary of any kind is strange, and the entire quest system could've been handled better. ("I have to go back and visit who? Ok, where in (for example)
Frontier Village
are they located? Oh...doesn't get any more specific than that? What time are they around?" Repeat ad nauseum, there is a much easier way to do this Monolithsoft.

Otherwise, probably the best battle system in an RPG I've ever played, each location was absolutely filled with things to see and do, and I really enjoyed each and every character (Except
Riki, who was very grating
.) The story kept me interested and I enjoyed all the twists and turns in true Takahashi form, save for
Dickson, who to me was more mysterious than bad, so when it's revealed who he really is I was more like "...really?" than anything.

Soundtrack was phenomenal, I don't think it's quite on par with Final Fantasy XII on the whole, but there are some stand out tracks here. And hearing them for hours on end without them grating on you is a true accomplishment, something I can't say for the battle speech. Either cut the chatter down some, or give us an option to lower the volume. The unique battle chats are fun, but hearing it over and over....and over had me reach for the remote more than I would've liked.

All said and done though, anyone that has a Wii and doesn't have this game is doing themselves a disservice. Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the very best Wii games, and one of the best RPGs around. Very highly recommended.

RPGCrazied

Holy hell at those cutscenes. Very late game, I'm sure you all were shocked too. Please don't highlight, do at your own risk. :p

Dickson an Alvis are traitors. Egil finally saw the light and went out with a bang, Shulk is just a shell for Zanza. The Manado changed again and looks bad ass, but Zanza took it. Bionis is really the evil one. If you think you know whats going on in the story, think again. lol I'm left with Replica Manado. ;/ Please tell me I get the real one back? I'm close to the end right?

Duderz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Holy hell at those cutscenes. Very late game, I'm sure you all were shocked too. Please don't highlight, do at your own risk. :p

Dickson an Alvis are traitors. Egil finally saw the light and went out with a bang, Shulk is just a shell for Zanza. The Manado changed again and looks bad ass, but Zanza took it. Bionis is really the evil one. If you think you know whats going on in the story, think again. lol I'm left with Replica Manado. ;/ Please tell me I get the real one back? I'm close to the end right?

Very close. I think there's another 2 locations for you to visit. If you're not around level 80 by the time the game wraps (and you'll know when it does), best of luck to you.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RPGCrazied said:

Well about that:

Dickson starts acting weird about a third of the way in, and Alvis has always been doing some fairly shifty things, but since you have the Monado replica already you should have noticed something related to Alvis that throws his entire motivation into question.

Leeness

richisawesome said:
LETS NOT LOSE OUR HEADS THOUGH!
CAN I USE YOUR RIFLE SOME TIME?
BUT LET'S NOT GET CARELESS!
PIECE OF CAKE!

My favourite so far is ending talk between Melia, Riki and Dunban. I laughed out loud.

I could cuddle Riki all day!
Riki is inded the softest of Nopon!
Riki is little scared...

Just got through "chapter 1" as it were. Main guys now setting off on a proper adventure.
(Spoilers below if nothing traumatic has happened in your playthrough.)

NOOO! Not whatever her name was! nooooo...

Anyway, wow that was a pretty quick character death. Got my attention anyway!

Leeness said:
My favourite so far is ending talk between Melia, Riki and Dunban. I laughed out loud.

I could cuddle Riki all day!
Riki is inded the softest of Nopon!
Riki is little scared...

This is something that I would have loved doing. Having every combination of characters in the party and listening out for these quips. Here's Melia, Riki and Reyn.

Here Riki, Riki, Riki, may I stroke your fur please?
Melia always welcome to stroke Riki
Me too, me too!
Reyn pay Riki one cookie for every stroke
Hey, how come I'm the only one that has to pay?!

guek

Banned
Hey guys, so I'm back after trying that new save and my game still reboots. Now once I try to load the save, the wii force restarts. Does anyone know why this would be happening? I really want to play the rest of the game...:-(

I just hit 7 hours in.

I just got up to the part where
The Mechon return

Shit just got real!!!

shit-just-got-real-o.gif

The
mask face
boss fight was a bitch. It wasn't hard..just took like 20 minutes to do :p

Pity that
Fiora died. She was actually a really good character to use.

So far...best.RPG.ever :D

CoolS

L0st Id3ntity said:
I can't get over how stunning the
imperial city
looks, holy shit.

(images from a location 1/3 through the game I'm guessing)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/Dolphin 2011-09-25 08-23-38-15.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/Dolphin 2011-09-25 08-24-32-95.png dat scale

This game has the best looking environments I've seen in a long time.

It only lacks a well written (translated?) story and a proper tracking system for the side quests, otherwise a perfect game imo.

You don't like the story? I think its one of the strong points of the game.

I am 65hours in now and on the F
allen
A
rm

Regarding the recent Rik discussions: I wasn't to sure about him in the beginning but after the recent events and his conversation with Dunban, I really like him quite a bit more. He's a great character an very likable as well.

Afrocious

I'm level 71 and I'm debating whether or not I should continue with the main quest. I've been doing sidequests in Colony 9.

*SPOILERS FOR LVL 70+*

Story-wise, I've just entered the Bionis' Interior for the second time. I had figured I'd try to do some sidequests to get better equipment and possibly get more abilities or skill tries. But now I'm worn out. Doing these quests in Colony 9 is draining. More power to folks who managed to do all of the quests because finding people and locating specific enemies is tedious. I do want to get more skill trees and definitely get some awesome equipment. What should I do? I'm already pissed I can't even return to some areas. I absolutely hate it when games do that. Can't stand it at all.

Afrocious

ElTopo said:
Spoilers for lvl 70+:
To be fair the game kinda warned you this would happen. As for what to do:
You still need a few more levels, so I'd suggest to train manually (which also gives you new crystals and decent equipment). The quests and (really) high-lvl enemies grant you cool equipment, but I'm not sure it's worth training/questing for 15 hours or so.

You still need a few levels (especially for the next boss). I'd say see if you can get a few more 4th skill trees, the 5th ones are not really worth the effort. You might also try to get one of the Monado replica, which - while not really more powerful - look kinda cool and it's something you can do while training.

As for which quests to do: Eh...no idea really. I'd definitely suggest the Red Pollen Orb quest because that one has a pretty cool ending. Other than that most quests require you to train quite a lot, some far above the level of the last boss. You may want to finish the Miller quest though, which as far as I remember is pretty easy/quick to do.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks for the quick reply. Where can I find the
Red Pollen Orb quest
?

Wiseblade

Level 43 Spoiler

So things just hit the Fan at Prison Island. You know that feeling you get when you're partway through a game and suddenly realise things have only really just begun? I'm having that now.

Wiseblade said:
Level 43 Spoiler

So things just hit the Fan at Prison Island. You know that feeling you get when you're partway through a game and suddenly realise things have only really just begun? I'm having that now.

yep, that was one heck of a middle game ending/usual Suspects kind of revelation. I was like
90y348.gif

Buttons

HiddenAway said:
This is something that I would have loved doing. Having every combination of characters in the party and listening out for these quips. Here's Melia, Riki and Reyn.

Me too, me too!

I just love Riki as well, his lines literally made me laugh out loud a few times.

Come sidekicks!.... ("Who are you calling a sidekick?!")
Sidekicks do good!
Riki wanna play with Monado.
Riki breath makes monsters sick!
Riki likes fighting easy monsters.

I'm lv43 now and at
the Imperial capital. Melia had her ceremony in front of the people and the mechon have started their attack. Now I'm in the guest room and I am sure as soon as I move something is going to happen.
One question about the timed quests in
Eryth sea, I should finish them before heading to prison island I am guessing?

Wiseblade

Anasui Kishibe said:
yep, that was one heck of a middle game ending/usual Suspects kind of revelation. I was like
http://sogacity.com/gif/90y348.gif

I was expecting something after going through Tales of Symphonia's "what do you mean 'Disk 1'? This is the ending, I swear!", but this was flawlessly executed. The way the sequence lets you figure things out 30 seconds before they're properly revealed to you is great.

mclem

HiddenAway said:

Me too, me too!

I rather liked a Dunban, Melia, Sharla combo; not least because I spotted that it reused a Dunban line from elsewhere in a completely different context - smart optimisation!

There's also a pretty good one for (DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'RE FIGHTING L60+ MONSTERS AS STANDARD!)
Shulk, Melia and Fiora

Wiseblade said:
I was expecting something after going through Tales of Symphonia's "what do you mean 'Disk 1'? This is the ending, I swear!", but this was flawlessly executed. The way the sequence lets you figure things out 30 seconds before they're properly revealed to you is great.

yep, TOS is a perfect example about that. I loved Vesperia too, but that one lacked that sort of "Damn this is the end..no, wait, WHAT is he saying?!"; it's a great way to introduce new elements and keep your attention rolling

I am about 2 hours into the game, still strolling around in colonel 9 and this game is a bit overwhelming. I am getting lots of random loot and people who want to trade all the time. I dont even know what items that are good and what not. I am also trying to do as many quests as possible, but i often have no idea where to go.

any advice?

Nostalgia~4ever said:
I am about 2 hours into the game, still strolling around in colonel 9 and this game is a bit overwhelming. I am getting lots of random loot and people who want to trade all the time. I dont even know what items that are good and what not. I am also trying to do as many quests as possible, but i often have no idea where to go.

any advice?
First, make sure you read the manual and the in-game tutorials. They really are quite helpful. If you want a quick update on what to do next, the story marker should be turned on by default, giving you an arrow at the top of your screen that will lead you to the next point in the storyline. You can also open the menu and press the "target enemy" button to get a brief update on the story and where you're headed.

Second, don't worry about the random loot. Unless you're looking for stuff for a quest, just select "take all" from the treasure chests and go on your way.

Trading can be done with named NPCs for items and collectibles, but with very rare exception they can all be found elsewhere. I've only needed to trade with NPCs for a few quest items. Otherwise, you should be able to have the best possible equipment for an area by killing the monsters and doing the quests.

The quests are overwhelming at first, but as long as they don't have a little stopwatch next to them you can take the entire game to finish them. They give out experience and equipment, though, so you may trade fun for practicality. Make sure to go to the quest screen in the menu, and you can see details of what you need, who gave you the quest, and roughly where you need to collect the items.

A few things to remember:
You can change the time in the menu.
You can quick travel by going to the map (either in the menu or by pressing the minus button) and selecting a landmark.
Once you find all of the landmarks and locations for a given area, the entire map will be visible.
You can change some options in the options screen in the menu. If you're using a Classic Controller, you should change the camera speed to the fastest option. It makes things much nicer.

Finally, play to have fun. Don't feel obligated to do every single quest or explore every nook and cranny if you don't want to. The game is very forgiving even if you don't get the experience from quests or exploration, so take the game at your own pace, don't feel pressure, and have fun.

BlazingDarkness said:
Anyone know which NPC I can trade Delerium Foxglove for? It's originally found as a collectable in SV
According to the spreadsheet:
You can trade for it with Rizaka near Junks on the Fallen Arm, who appears from 6:00 to 18:00. You need a five-star affinity.

SecretMoblin said:
First, make sure you read the manual and the in-game tutorials. They really are quite helpful. If you want a quick update on what to do next, the story marker should be turned on by default, giving you an arrow at the top of your screen that will lead you to the next point in the storyline. You can also open the menu and press the "target enemy" button to get a brief update on the story and where you're headed.

Second, don't worry about the random loot. Unless you're looking for stuff for a quest, just select "take all" from the treasure chests and go on your way.

Trading can be done with named NPCs for items and collectibles, but with very rare exception they can all be found elsewhere. I've only needed to trade with NPCs for a few quest items. Otherwise, you should be able to have the best possible equipment for an area by killing the monsters and doing the quests.

The quests are overwhelming at first, but as long as they don't have a little stopwatch next to them you can take the entire game to finish them. They give out experience and equipment, though, so you may trade fun for practicality. Make sure to go to the quest screen in the menu, and you can see details of what you need, who gave you the quest, and roughly where you need to collect the items.

A few things to remember:
You can change the time in the menu.
You can quick travel by going to the map (either in the menu or by pressing the minus button) and selecting a landmark.
Once you find all of the landmarks and locations for a given area, the entire map will be visible.
You can change some options in the options screen in the menu. If you're using a Classic Controller, you should change the camera speed to the fastest option. It makes things much nicer.

Finally, play to have fun. Don't feel obligated to do every single quest or explore every nook and cranny if you don't want to. The game is very forgiving even if you don't get the experience from quests or exploration, so take the game at your own pace, don't feel pressure, and have fun.

ok thanks. I still havent fully understood this affinity and hearts to heart thing though

Nostalgia~4ever said:
ok thanks. I still havent fully understood this affinity and hearts to heart thing though
You don't really need to worry about either of those things at this point in the game. You'll eventually get a tutorial explaining hearts to heart, and I think some explaining the importance of affinity. You'll see how it works after playing the game for a bit longer.

mclem said:
I rather liked a Dunban, Melia, Sharla combo; not least because I spotted that it reused a Dunban line from elsewhere in a completely different context - smart optimisation!

There's also a pretty good one for (DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'RE FIGHTING L60+ MONSTERS AS STANDARD!)
Shulk, Melia and Fiora

Indeed. That's my personal favourite :D

guek said:
Hey guys, so I'm back after trying that new save and my game still reboots. Now once I try to load the save, the wii force restarts. Does anyone know why this would be happening? I really want to play the rest of the game...:-(
Hmm given the save worked for other uses it can't be the save.

Must be the game disc or the Wiis disc drive itself (as in it can't read certain disc sectors). Check the disc surface for anything that seems off. I don't think it would be the booting method else more people would experience problems but it might be an obscure one.

Oxx

I'm romping through all the quests I have accumulated up until this point (6 hours in). All the unfinished quests fit on a single screen now. Amazing scenes.

Just hit the 100 hour mark, reached CF

Which makes it the longest I've put into a game since the old pokemon red/blue days

The music in these later areas is so good it makes me not want to go into battle :lol

RPGCrazied

Have to say I like the 2nd battle theme better than the first. God, I wish there was a Xenoblade anime. I think it would kick ass if done right.

Top Bottom