• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Dynedom

iamaustrian said:
a place to quickly level me up from 82 to 85?

The
Gogols in Satorl Marsh followed by the Arel Telethia in Alcamoth. The lion-type monsters in Satorl at night are also great when you're around 82-83.

K444WSR

Alright guys, I've just completed the
Prison island
area and am getting ready to carry on. I'm on level 42 and am maining shulk, Dunban and sharla. I haven't really tried any of the others extensively to feel comfortable with them. I've just started to do the
Rebuild colony 6
quest and was wondering if I should focus on a few sidequests before continuing or shall I carry on. I'm loving the game and don't really want it to end but at the same time want to find out what happens.

K444WSR said:
Alright guys, I've just completed the
Prison island
area and am getting ready to carry on. I'm on level 42 and am maining shulk, Dunban and sharla. I haven't really tried any of the others extensively to feel comfortable with them. I've just started to do the
Rebuild colony 6
quest and was wondering if I should focus on a few sidequests before continuing or shall I carry on. I'm loving the game and don't really want it to end but at the same time want to find out what happens.
I would recommend getting to level 1 for each category at
Colony 6
and then heading down to the good ol' Gem Man who lives on the shin. Beyond that, it's up to you. You have some time before the next batch of timed quests ends, so it's up to you when you want to do them.

Hiltz

Before finishing the game, do you get any special items from completing all of the quests and/or unique monsters ? I don't really want to fight those level 100+ monsters especially when they seem to require using certain gem attribute resistances. Also, want to skip one quest ( defeat shimmering forte) and trying to get beat another unique monster at Sleeping Dragon Isle that only appears during a thunderstorm because those weather condition requirements are just annoying. However, I did fully upgrade Colony 6 and also got all of Shulk's
Monado replica weapons and unlocked everyone's 5th skill tree - most of which have been fully upgraded.

I'm currently at
Prison Island about to insert the dragon jewel into the emblem
and apparently about to enter a boss fight.

DEO3

Anasui Kishibe said:
glad you finished it, but I'm always a bit baffled seeing people just blaaaazing through content

After PI I was so into the story that I started B-lining toward story markers, and after the next couple of zones the last third of the game is just full speed ahead. I never really got a chance to catch my breath. The only time I ever stopped to smell the roses was
Fallen Arm
, that zone simply took my breath away and will be remembered for years to come.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A lot of unique level 5 crystals come from those fights, and you need to beat at least one 100+ to complete the collectapedia.

Hiltz

I think I'll pass it then. It's been a really fun but exhausting game and just want to see what happens at the end of the story already.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hiltz said:
I think I'll pass it then. It's been a really fun but exhausting game and just want to see what happens at the end of the story already.

Yeah, I feel like at some point in Xenoblade, you just gotta say "fuck it" and move on.

Even though I REALLY want to see what the completed Affinity Chart looks like.

Hiltz said:
Before finishing the game, do you get any special items from completing all of the quests and/or unique monsters ? I don't really want to fight those level 100+ monsters especially when they seem to require using certain gem attribute resistances. Also, want to skip one quest ( defeat shimmering forte) and trying to get beat another unique monster at Sleeping Dragon Isle that only appears during a thunderstorm because those weather condition requirements are just annoying. However, I did fully upgrade Colony 6 and also got all of Shulk's
Monado replica weapons and unlocked everyone's 5th skill tree - most of which have been fully upgraded.

I'm currently at
Prison Island about to insert the dragon jewel into the emblem
and apparently about to enter a boss fight.

don't know because I'm sitting at 459 quests and must have missed some Uniques, expecially one at
Sword Valley
which I had killed before the actual quest and then came the lockdown. Never ever tried to kill those 100+ because honestly, I couldn't be bothered to set up a perfect plan against Abaasy

That boss fight is gonna be a cakewalk since you've finished Colony Six, so I suppose you're into your 90s

DEO3 said:
After PI I was so into the story that I started B-lining toward story markers, and after the next couple of zones the last third of the game is just full speed ahead. I never really got a chance to catch my breath. The only time I ever stopped to smell the roses was
Fallen Arm
, that zone simply took my breath away and will be remembered for years to come.

I can see where you're coming from. Myself, I just didn't want the game to end :(

how many quests have you completed by any chance?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ivysaur12 said:
Yeah, I feel like at some point in Xenoblade, you just gotta say "fuck it" and move on.

Even though I REALLY want to see what the completed Affinity Chart looks like.

Like staring into the face of god.

Also when I said any 100 I mean any 100. Some of them are ridiculously easy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anasui Kishibe said:
don't know because I'm sitting at 459 quests and must have missed some Uniques, expecially one at
Sword Valley
which I had killed before the actual quest and then came the lockdown. Never ever tried to kill those 100+ because honestly, I couldn't be bothered to set up a perfect plan against Abaasy

Cmon man, at least defeat the strongest monster before you call it quits :p

All you need is Topple Plus VI, Debuff Resist VI, Night Vision VI, and Agility VI for the must-have.

Haste VI, Double Attack VI, and Unbeatable VI are optional, but they are helpful (well, technically Topple Plus VI is also optional but fighting him without Topple is a pain in the ass)

And yes, only level 100 and above drops the Glory Equipment. Glory armor is not necessary--what you want is Glory Gloves that will bestow you a Haste VI property (45% compared to the perfect mega-heat 50% mega-heat Haste VI gems).

The preparation doesn't take that long, to be honest, if you know where to look the crystals.

Laughing Banana said:
Cmon man, at least defeat the strongest monster before you call it quits :p

All you need is Topple Up VI, Debuff Resist VI, Night Vision VI, and Agility VI for the must-have.

Haste VI, Double Attack VI, and Unbeatable VI are optional, but they are helpful (well, technically Topple Up VI is also optional but fighting him without Topple is a pain in the ass)

And yes, only level 100 and above drops the Glory Equipment. Glory armor is not necessary--what you want is Glory Gloves that will bestow you a Haste VI property (45% compared to the perfect mega-heat 50% mega-heat Haste VI gems).

The preparation doesn't take that long, to be honest, if you know where to look the crystals.

thanks man, glad I saved the pre-endgame in another slot. I will surely give this a try but I'm telling you! I hate getting mauled :/

Finally finished all those damn timed quests in Alcamoth that I've put off for forever. Now need to beat a lvl 70 unique in Central Factory and get the Monado Eater art and I'm moving on...

Btw, I'm not up to the lvl VI gem stuff yet, but where are you supposed to look for the stuff that gets you Agility VI, Debuff VI, Night Vision VI, etc.? Ether Mine once you finish up Colony 6? Certain uniques?

So I just started this yesterday. I'm still really fresh into it, and only about 5 hours in. To be honest, I was a little hesitant and wary to begin. I'm a huge JRPG fan, but haven't really played any this gen that have struck me (unless you count Persona 4.) I've also been disappointed by GAF-hype heavy more obscure titles (999 comes to mind) and the added fact that this was not being localized in the U.S market made me scared that even if this game were solely above average, it'd get hyped all to hell.

To be fair, I've had issues with Monolithsoft's other games, specifically Xenosaga, and BK1. Xenosaga just had too many too long cutscenes where I didn't care what was going on, and BK... well I had an entire thread venting my frustration when it came out. Luckily my hesitation and fears were unfounded because thus far, I can tell that this game is something wholly unique.

I'm amazed at how many antiquated conventions of JRPG's that they decided were obsolete, and rightfully so. Wanna save? Do it anywhere! Battles? Do it when you want to! Explored this area? fast travel back ANYTIME. Need to do a mission at night, turn the clock. It's astounding. This is all while creating a world and a twinge of exploration that I haven't felt since probably Skies of Arcadia.

It's funny, I'm the gamer that would get into a cab in GTA4 and skip to where I was going. Yes, I would prefer to take a cab, and skip in a game called Grand Theft Auto to save a minute of time. Yet in XB, I WANT to explore the massive world. I see some place, that I want to go to, and hey guess what, I'm GOING there.

To me this is the finest distillation of a JRPG. All of the frustrating mechanics are gone while still retaining the core of what I love about playing them; a unique and fast battle system, a good if a little predictable story (so far,) a gorgeous score, huge areas to explore, and characters that I DO care about. It's funny but I look at FF XIII and get the sense that SE was trying to distill an RPG down to its elements, but focused only on a few elements; yes plot, characters and battle, but also production value graphics... essentially the window dressing of the games. I feel like Monolithsoft GOT IT. They knew at the core why RPG players are so passionate about the genre and made this game which is a love letter to RPG fans.

Again this is only 5 hours into a massive game, but seeing what I've been able to do so far... I think my assumption is right. I can't wait to keep on playing and see where this goes.

Okay I'm done gushing. Back to playing.

So is
Bionis' Interior, Second Visit
the final area? Also, does anyone else think the background music sounds like some twisted version of Ravel's Bolero?

By the way, I too pretty much stopped questing around when the level design started getting a bit more annoying and spaghetti-esque around
Fallen Arm
, because I decided I gotta put an end to this damn game taking up all my free time -- I really want to know how this game ends now. Although I still do stop by Colony 6 from time to time -- only to discover that they still want collectibles that I've never even come across.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
magicalsoundshower said:
So is
Bionis' Interior, Second Visit
the final area? Also, does anyone else think the background music sounds like some twisted version of Ravel's Bolero?

One more area to go.

Anasui Kishibe said:
thanks man, glad I saved the pre-endgame in another slot. I will surely give this a try but I'm telling you! I hate getting mauled :/

I meant Topple Plus, not Topple Up, bah, got their name switched. And they're not that bad, really. In fact, compared to the other super enemies in RPGs like Final Fantasy or Star Oceans the ones in this game are pretty easy.

Bel Marduk said:
Finally finished all those damn timed quests in Alcamoth that I've put off for forever. Now need to beat a lvl 70 unique in Central Factory and get the Monado Eater art and I'm moving on...

Btw, I'm not up to the lvl VI gem stuff yet, but where are you supposed to look for the stuff that gets you Agility VI, Debuff VI, Night Vision VI, etc.? Ether Mine once you finish up Colony 6? Certain uniques?

The highest level crystal is V so in order to get the best possible level VI gems you need a mega heat from level V craft.

• Night vision V is dropped by the level 105 unique in Jifum Beach, Fallen Arm. Since the value is already so high, use Riki to get the cylinders from crafting.
  • Unbeatable V and Double Attack V crystals are dropped by the level 96-99 T-rex enemies that roam the area around Decayed Forest in Makna Forest. You can also get Debuff Resist V crystals from them as well. Be forewarned that there is a Level 99 unique T-Rex there that will require Topple Resist gems if you want to fight it.
  • Agility Up V crystals can be gotten from Wind Ether Mines from Colony 6/Ether Mine once you've maxed the Nature category (just use save and reload to ensure you get the Agility Up property)
  • Topple Plus V can be gotten very easily from the high level arachno enemies in Tephra Cave.
  • Haste V can be gotten from Arel Telethia in Eryth Sea or the high level lizards in Tephra Cave... but for the best results hunt the Glory Gloves so that you can free a slot in the weapon for other gems.

Topple Resist, Daze Resist, and Spike Defense gems are also crucial to fight some of the high level uniques.

• Topple Resist crystals can be gotten from Gogols of Bionis' Leg, Gigas Telethia on Bionis' Interior, and the high level bunnies in Tephra Cave.
  • Daze Resist crystals can be gotten from high level Frogs in Tephra Cave.
  • Spike Defense crystals can be gotten from various elementals in Prison Island or from the high level Slobos in Valak Mountain.

M-PG71C

So I'm walking into Prison Island about Lv 41 across the board, and its kind of hard. I wonder if I should grind for a bit. Am I underleveled lol? :D

M-PG71C said:
So I'm walking into Prison Island about Lv 41 across the board, and its kind of hard. I wonder if I should grind for a bit. Am I underleveled lol? :D

Don't remember my exact lvl but was probably a bit higher. Don't worry about leveling though, Prison Island is like a 10 minute dungeon gameplay wise and is really just there for cutscenes at that point. Also there's a lot of Nebulaes there and they're hard to damage without ether. The flying monsters are OK though.

Leeness

Wow. I didn't think the battle could be as terrible as most people were making it out to be but...

Fuck. That. Shit.

Spoilers for late game boss, everyone probably knows who I am gonna talk about.

Fuck that bitch Lorithia and her stupid ugly poorly made battle. Even leveling up won't fix that ridiculous slow down and general stupidity of the battle arena. The basically constant visions, constant sadface party members, constant AOE (I think) attacks from the adds that just add to the confusion. Sure it'll be less painful, for me, if I level to 80 or so and just plow her up the butt, but it will only make the terrible less long. What the fuck that battle is so poorly conceived. Only choice they've made in making this game where I've just shook my head at them. It's horrible.

So...fuck that. I'm gonna go questing until I'm stupidly over leveled.

[/late night rage vent]

Leeness said:
Wow. I didn't think the battle could be as terrible as most people were making it out to be but...

Fuck. That. Shit.

Fuck that bitch Lorithia and her stupid ugly poorly made battle. Even leveling up won't fix that ridiculous slow down and general stupidity of the battle arena. The basically constant visions, constant sadface party members, constant AOE (I think) attacks from the adds that just add to the confusion. Sure it'll be less painful, for me, if I level to 80 or so and just plow her up the butt, but it will only make the terrible less long. What the fuck that battle is so poorly conceived. Only choice they've made in making this game where I've just shook my head at them. It's horrible.

[/late night rage vent]

wait what?
I thought it was one of the easiest battles and I was not overleveled.

what does "stupidity of the battle arena" mean?
who is in your party?

Man God said:
A lot of unique level 5 crystals come from those fights, and you need to beat at least one 100+ to complete the collectapedia.

? I presume you're referring to Jer'ell Other item?

I've got the tradeable from Marcus, level 99

TDLink

Leeness said:

Fuck. That. Shit.

[/late night rage vent]

Use Melia.

Rich!

Anasui Kishibe said:
80 hours is half my playtime, and I'ven't even finished all the quests

I finished the game in 60 hours.

Couldn't be fucked with the quests, just got hooked to the story. Oh, and that certain battle was piss easy. Just use Melia.

Meier

chaosblade said:
That's why I like maining Shulk, you get plenty of options to deal with that stuff without warning anybody.
Is there any way to determine if Shield or Evade will work better? I've leveled up my Shield art sometimes but I won't get the break after using it. Can you determine anything from the time until use or is it just a crap shoot?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Meier said:
Is there any way to determine if Shield or Evade will work better? I've leveled up my Shield art sometimes but I won't get the break after using it. Can you determine anything from the time until use or is it just a crap shoot?

Shield works on talents, which are white.

Evade works on physical, which are red.

Man God said:
Shield works on talents, which are white.

Evade works on physical, which are red.

No, he means that if you use Shield or something, it doesn't always work because the level is too low for it to block an enemy's Talent Art. So he wants to know what lvl your Shield art has to be to block a certain attack.

As far as I know the game doesn't tell you whether it'll work or not and it's just a crap shoot unless I'm really missing something.

CoolS

Bel Marduk said:
No, he means that if you use Shield or something, it doesn't always work because the level is too low for it to block an enemy's Talent Art. So he wants to know what lvl your Shield art has to be to block a certain attack.

As far as I know the game doesn't tell you whether it'll work or not and it's just a crap shoot unless I'm really missing something.

Nope, enemy special attacks always have a level, e.g. "Death ray ultimate murder Laser VI". So for the shield to work against that attack, it has to be at least at least at level VI.

CoolS said:
Nope, enemy special attacks always have a level, e.g. "Death ray ultimate murder Laser VI". So for the shield to work against that attack, it has to be at least at least at level VI.

Really? What about stuff like Titan Stamp?

hiro4

M-PG71C said:

I'm at the point before Prison Island and I'm level 44. Most enemies don't even attack me at Eryth Sea.
Tried to do Challenge 4 yesterday and he kicked my ass, mostly due to Spike damage.

I wouldn't say your are underleveled but a few levels extra won't hurt you.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bel Marduk said:
Really? What about stuff like Titan Stamp?
Was that a Talent Art? Because if Shield actually defended against that I would feel pretty stupid. That attack massacred my party pretty often. It was the reason I couldn't beat that level 70 unique in
Central Factory passed the faced Mechon room

Carlisle

97 Days (1 quarter of a year) after preorder...
57 Days (2 months) after "despatch"...
25 Days after initial complaint...
18 Days after calling international long distance to complain further...
13 Days after 2nd "despatch" confirmation...

10ynyiv.jpg

2ugzafp.jpg

Never thought I'd see the day. Other than the case being banged up and unable to snap closed, it's all there.

So this game any good?
:p

Gvaz said:
That's who I mained for most of the game.

I didn't main her because honestly I couldn't know what to click or when, lol. But she did her job most excellently, while me (Shulk) and Sharla busy doing homework with the adds

Leeness

iamaustrian said:
wait what?
I thought it was one of the easiest battles and I was not overleveled.
what does "stupidity of the battle arena" mean?
who is in your party?

:( All the ether around the play field that my party members love to swim in, even though I spam To Me. During the battle, I basically have to camp in the middle and spam it because the second I let them go again, off they go into the ether. The slow down as well, though that's probably more the enemy fault than the arena. I don't understand why that battle specifically lags so bad, it's like almost constantly 5 seconds behind. I've fought more enemies and in a much more expansive place, so I dunno. :/

I was trying Shulk as main before with Sharla and a tank, but that didn't work, Shulk pulled all the aggro while the tank swam and Sharla then decided that healing the tank was more important so I died. IE: I'm trying to run in circles away from things while one swims and takes damage and the other sits on the shore and heals the tank constantly.

So then I tried maining Melia cause she is my normal main and it's almost even worse. :/ Problem is that she ends up pulling all the aggro almost immediately after she uses any spells and then who ever is tanking is...either swimming in he ether or can't get the aggro off her fast enough and everything is lagging so bad that I can't really run her in circles until the tank takes the aggro. Half the time, she'll be at full health and then suddenly be dead and I can't figure out why until the lag catches up. :/

So...I'm just gonna get myself to at least 76 before I go again.

Gvaz

Banned
You know you can not only say To ME! but you can tell them to attack a certain thing. The only time they ever change targets when you manually select is when a mob does a lockon (there are no lockon mobs there)

Gimme your save and I'll beat the boss for you !
Yes this is just an excuse to replay a boss

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Use art stealth if you're having trouble keeping aggro down on Melia.

And there is really no reason the party members should run into the ether unless the boss moves out there, and the characters don't start attacking anything again after you call them until you tell them to. Not sure why they would be running off.

But the slowdown is ridiculous. I had some in a previous area but it was nowhere near as bad as it was in that battle. That seriously should have been worked out in QA. I'm not one to be bothered by framerate issues usually but it felt like it was running in the single digits.

Leeness

Gvaz said:
You know you can not only say To ME! but you can tell them to attack a certain thing. The only time they ever change targets when you manually select is when a mob does a lockon (there are no lockon mobs there)

Gimme your save and I'll beat the boss for you !
Yes this is just an excuse to replay a boss

Oh I know. But this whole battle is basically taking most things that worked before for me and tossing them out the window cause the AI just gets stupid in this one. :( it's very frustrating.

No lock on mobs? Cause the adds lock straight onto my main, whether it's Shulk or Melia, the second they're summoned.

No! I'll beat it eventually. Haha. Now whether I'm level 75, 80 or 85 remains to be seen.

chaosblade said:
Use art stealth if you're having trouble keeping aggro down on Melia.

And there is really no reason the party members should run into the ether unless the boss moves out there, and the characters don't start attacking anything again after you call them until you tell them to. Not sure why they would be running off.

Maybe I'll just load her up with those gems next time and see what happens. All of her gems are either ethers or electricity so I'll sacrifice a couple.

Basically, once they end up in the either, whether it's from them just jumpin in or the boss pushing them in, it takes me about twenty seconds of spamming To Me to get then out and then once I let them go again, they're back in the ether in about ten to twenty seconds, repeat.

Gvaz

Banned
Leeness said:
Oh I know. But this whole battle is basically taking most things that worked before for me and tossing them out the window cause the AI just gets stupid in this one. :( it's very frustrating.

No lock on mobs? Cause the adds lock straight onto my main, whether it's Shulk or Melia, the second they're summoned.

No! I'll beat it eventually. Haha. Now whether I'm level 75, 80 or 85 remains to be seen.

Maybe I'll just load her up with those gems next time and see what happens. All of her gems are either ethers or electricity so I'll sacrifice a couple.

Basically, once they end up in the either, whether it's from them just jumpin in or the boss pushing them in, it takes me about twenty seconds of spamming To Me to get then out and then once I let them go again, they're back in the ether in about ten to twenty seconds, repeat.
No i mean there's an ability that forces the players to attack a target. Reyn has the same ability iirc. So short of that I don't know what to suggest other than doing it myself.

Leeness

Gvaz said:
No i mean there's an ability that forces the players to attack a target. Reyn has the same ability iirc. So short of that I don't know what to suggest other than doing it myself.

You mean a skill tree skill? Or a gem?

You just want to do the battle :p I'll get it eventually.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anasui Kishibe said:
I didn't main her because honestly I couldn't know what to click or when, lol. But she did her job most excellently, while me (Shulk) and Sharla busy doing homework with the adds

Indeed. I find Melia to have the 'smartest' AI, and I actually have control of Riki in most fights. Thanks to his area heal, a lot of positional attacks, high HP and status attacks, I enjoy him a bunch. Battles take a bit longer, but I'll almost never fall when in control of him.

Top Bottom