• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Got a Vegeta hard on, do you?

The game does in fact have some slowdown issues, especially if you decide to use Melia.

Dynedom

Worst slowdown I remember was without a doubt
at the Bionis Interior on the way to the Heart.
Some of those
crystalline-like monsters
absolutely destroyed the framerate when we started fighting. Wasn't even using Melia.

Clevinger

IceDoesntHelp said:
That's honestly the only complaint I have about Xenoblade so far...actually the English voice acting is awful too.

My only complaint there is they don't have volume bars to turn down VO and sound effects like most games do. Those fucking voices are so loud and almost constant in battles and they drown out the nice music.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
IceDoesntHelp said:
Was trying to get Violent Andante to appear again, I heard you have to be just south of Vilirea Hill around 3am, but again, never showed up.

3 A.M. what?

All my encounters with him has always been at daylight so I don't know who is the one telling you that you have to be on 3 A.M.

Hiltz

I didn't have any complaints about the english voice acting, but the dialogue and story telling could use some work. As much as I enjoyed the story, I kind of wish Monolith Soft eased down on some of the crazy nonsensical ideas despite how the game's worlds take place on two giant gods. I don't know, I can only take in so much anime weirdness.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Blasted my way through Sword Valley pretty easily, and completed the Collectibles for the area. Definitely have to invest more in Topple resist if more and more enemies continue to use it. I went back to using the original Shulk/Sharla/Reyn team for most of this. Who else matches up well for Chain Attacks? It's so incredibly useful to be able to Topple/Daze over and over.

EvilMario said:
Blasted my way through Sword Valley pretty easily, and completed the Collectibles for the area. Definitely have to invest more in Topple resist if more and more enemies continue to use it. I went back to using the original Shulk/Sharla/Reyn team for most of this. Who else matches up well for Chain Attacks? It's so incredibly useful to be able to Topple/Daze over and over.

Riki has a Topple move as well, but then again he's the alternative to Reyn (the best of the two, imo)

peakish

Zornica said:
you may want to change your characters. sticking with shulk, reyn and sharla gets tiresome pretty quick. just kick them all out one by one and combat will become more and more fun. at least that worked for me.
having sharla and reyn in the party slows everything down, and playing shulk isn't that much fun.
Thanks, that's good to know. I already kicked out Reyn to level relationships with Dunban but I'll keep it in mind and try to play as some other characters.

Hiltz

EvilMario said:

Pretty much any combination of characters can be used for the break, topple, and daze combo. Melia can use topple, Rikki can use break and topple, and the 7th character can use break, topple, and daze. Dunban can use topple and daze. However, his daze move doesn't seem to be that reliable since it requires Dunban is behind the enemy and using an aura. So if your're going to use a party of Melia, Rikki, and Dunban, then perhaps it would be better to equip topple plus and topple up gems that will increase damage and extend the amount of time enemies are inflicted with topple.

If you haven't already, take advantage of the skill tree link with Shulk to give other characters the ability to have a better chance of causing a chain link, increased damage during a change attack, and also to heal the party slightly after a chain attack.

daffy

Banned
Sigh... Laying in my bed eating fucking oreos and milk after I just got red in the face at the final boss lol. Why do JRPGs always pull this shit right at the end.. If you're not gonna add an easy mode don't put bosses that summon bosses... Seriously a clone the same level as you?! I mean come on guys.. Its not challenging and its not fun to have to fight the same enemies over again for higher stats.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Riki's topple is not at all reliable, though it does have the added effect of always working when it works so long as the creature isn't 100 percent topple immune.

Here is a quick reference:

Shulk: Break, AOE Break, late game monado powered AOE topple (must be broken)
Reyn: Topple (Must be Broken), Daze
Sharla: Daze
Dunban: Topple (Must be Broken) Daze (Fairly Wonky) Late game AOE topple (must kill an enemy in range with Dunban)
Melia: Topple (Must use Spear Break first, best single target topple in the game)
Riki: AOE Break, Topple (Not all that accurate, does no damage, but when it works it always works, i.e. like sleep it doesn't roll to hit)
7th: Break and a special topple and daze under certain specific circumstances.

The best early chain attack party is Shulk, Dunban, Reyn. Replace Reyn with Melia when she gets Starlight Kick.

Got to the lvl 70 plot twists...shitjustgotreal.jpg.

Got some questions. If they're answered later on or whatever, just say that.

1. Why did Shulk reawaken? Wasn't he living based on Zanza's life force? Or does he still have it, just that he passed out when Zanza returned? If that's the case then I don't see why would Zanza continue to have Shulk live then since he's living off of Zanza's life force that and Zanza could just cut that off. Shulk already died, is there any meaning for him to continue to live since, theoretically, Zanza already fed on his life force? Or would Shulk, with Zanza's life force, be a "reborn" Shulk, which means the cycle continues normally?

Also I guess the people who found the Monado just had their life force totally stripped away then without being given any of Zanza's like Shulk.

2. lol why does Zanza look like Shulk, just with longer hair? I mean, why the long hair?

3. OK, so Zanza took control of Arglas the giant, whose flesh was sealed at Prison Island, but his soul was in the Monado the whole time which was sealed at Valak Mountain/Ose Tower. So why did Shulk have to release Zanza at Prison Island when his soul was at Ose Tower? Couldn't Zanza just have escaped from Arglas? Or was Zanza's soul still tied to Arglas, just the Monado is separate from the body it hosts, even though Zanza has control of the body even if it's not holding the Monado? The Monado is really just a tool right, to manipulate ether? I saw the scene where Shulk sees the party fighting Zanza but with Arglas's body so I wonder if it's explained then.

4. Why did Dunban have control of the Monado in the first place and why did he lose it? Why did Shulk get all electrocuted by the Monado at Central Factory like Dunban?

So I did the (L80 spoilerish)
Imperial highentian quest in Satori smash
in which you have to
kill that huge flying dinosaur in front of the two big sisters statues

After killing it the quest description told me that, now that the guardian is dead, the torso or "upper body" of the Bionis is accessible. What does that mean?
Is there a new area/path open now? if so, where?
I thought that I finaly get to the other area inside the Bionis but it doesn't seem so :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bel Marduk said:
Got to the lvl 70 plot twists...shitjustgotreal.jpg.

Got some questions. If they're answered later on or whatever, just say that.

1. Why did Shulk reawaken? Wasn't he living based on Zanza's life force? Or does he still have it, just that he passed out when Zanza returned? If that's the case then I don't see why would Zanza continue to have Shulk live then since he's living off of Zanza's life force that and Zanza could just cut that off. Shulk already died, is there any meaning for him to continue to live since, theoretically, Zanza already fed on his life force? Or would Shulk, with Zanza's life force, be a "reborn" Shulk, which means the cycle continues normally?

Also I guess the people who found the Monado just had their life force totally stripped away then without being given any of Zanza's like Shulk.

2. lol why does Zanza look like Shulk, just with longer hair? I mean, why the long hair?

3. OK, so Zanza took control of Arglas the giant, whose flesh was sealed at Prison Island, but his soul was in the Monado the whole time which was sealed at Valak Mountain/Ose Tower. So why did Shulk have to release Zanza at Prison Island when his soul was at Ose Tower? Couldn't Zanza just have escaped from Arglas? Or was Zanza's soul still tied to Arglas, just the Monado is separate from the body it hosts, even though Zanza has control of the body even if it's not holding the Monado? The Monado is really just a tool right, to manipulate ether? I saw the scene where Shulk sees the party fighting Zanza but with Arglas's body so I wonder if it's explained then.

4. Why did Dunban have control of the Monado in the first place and why did he lose it? Why did Shulk get all electrocuted by the Monado at Central Factory like Dunban?

1. Semi explained in the ending, kinda explained in the event itself.
Think of who was talking to Shulk...

2. Because why not? This shit happens all the time. The ending kinda gives an ok explaination as to a possible reason why.

3. Also kinda explained in the ending. A good explaination is that
he's a god and can't really be stopped by mortal means, he was just chilling in prison island waiting for his vision to come true, and when those people did show up he just popped over there and became Shulk.

4. Dunban is a bad ass, the Monado is meant for Shulk. As to the second part, the game clearly explained that, but in case you didn't quite catch it, that was
Egil's
fault.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
iamaustrian said:
So I did the (L80 spoilerish)
Imperial highentian quest in Satori smash
in which you have to
kill that huge flying dinosaur in front of the two big sisters statues

After killing it the quest description told me that, now that the guardian is dead, the torso or "upper body" of the Bionis is accessible. What does that mean?
Is there a new area/path open now? if so, where?
I thought that I finaly get to the other area inside the Bionis but it doesn't seem so :(

Junks will fly you into the new area. That quest does something else...

Man God said:
1. Semi explained in the ending, kinda explained in the event itself.
Think of who was talking to Shulk...

2. Because why not? This shit happens all the time. The ending kinda gives an ok explaination as to a possible reason why.

3. Also kinda explained in the ending. A good explaination is that
he's a god and can't really be stopped by mortal means, he was just chilling in prison island waiting for his vision to come true, and when those people did show up he just popped over there and became Shulk.

4. Dunban is a bad ass, the Monado is meant for Shulk. As to the second part, the game clearly explained that, but in case you didn't quite catch it, that was
Egil's
fault.

Are you talking about Alvis? Still don't really understand. I'll wait till the ending then.

2. OK.
Would've expected them to look exactly the same though.

OK, but then why did Zanza wait for the moment in Mechonis Core to reawaken? It's predestined I guess, but why not reawaken earlier?

4. Dunban is a badass, that's why he can wield it? :p
I guess he "willed it", just like Alvis did at Makna? Eh...but why couldn't Mumkhar use it then? Didn't he want to use it too? I remember an NPC say Dunban was the only one who could use it.
So the Apocrypha generator causes the electrocution, so I guess that didn't happen sooner because Shulk is awesome and was able to control it even in when the Monado was in a weakened state?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bel Marduk said:
Are you talking about Alvis? Still don't really understand. I'll wait till the ending then.

2. OK.
Would've expected them to look exactly the same though.

OK, but then why did Zanza wait for the moment in Mechonis Core to reawaken? It's predestined I guess, but why not reawaken earlier?

4. Dunban is a badass, that's why he can wield it? :p
I guess he "willed it", just like Alvis did at Makna? Eh...but why couldn't Mumkhar use it then? Didn't he want to use it too?
So the Apocrypha generator causes the electrocution, so I guess that didn't happen sooner because Shulk is awesome and was able to control it even in when the Monado was in a weakened state?

3. Well, he was waiting for
Egil to get capped and Meyneth to reveal herself.

Mumrah the ever living never got the chance. Only Shulk/Zanza can use it right, and as to your final question, there is a cutscene where they explain that Shulk was in pain from the end of the Bionis until the Egil fight, he was just hiding it like a real american hero.

Dizzy-4U said:
Should I go with the lastest Dolphin build or is there a better one for Xenoblade?

Using the latest daily build (well, like a day old now) and have been having no problems really. Had one cut scene where the voices got real choppy. No crashes or anything. Been playing on it for like 15 hours after switching over from the Wii itself. Game looks great. Not that it didn't on Wii. Awesome using the 360 button mod and controller also.

I think I'm nearing the end. Another two or three of days and I think I'll be there. I pretty well stopped doing side quests half way through 'cause I'm ready to see how this shit ends. So far, easily best RPG I've played this gen. Granted, I think I've only played Blue Dragon and Final Fantasy XIII. Not much competition.

Man God said:
3. Well, he was waiting for
Egil to get capped and Meyneth to reveal herself.

Mumrah the ever living never got the chance. Only Shulk/Zanza can use it right, and as to your final question, there is a cutscene where they explain that Shulk was in pain from the end of the Bionis until the Egil fight, he was just hiding it like a real american hero.

Well Zanza rocked Egil so I doubt Egil was much of a threat. You're right about Meyneth though. Not even Dickson and Alvis knew where she was till later.

I don't remember exactly but I could've sworn that particular NPC saying Dunban/Mumkhar/Dickson sort of "competed" for it but Dunban was the only one who could manage it. Though Dickson wouldn't have cared.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bel Marduk said:
Well Zanza rocked Egil so I doubt Egil was much of a threat. You're right about Meyneth though. Not even Dickson and Alvis knew where she was till later.

I don't remember exactly but I could've sworn that particular NPC saying Dunban/Mumkhar/Dickson sort of "competed" for it but Dunban was the only one who could manage it. Though Dickson wouldn't have cared.

I hate all these spoilers so this is the last one.

He's not as powerful as the two gods but he was in control of the Mechonis at that time and could have done serious damage to the Bionis.

and

4. Yes, and Dunban was the badder dude. It is shown in the opening cutscene, the bit with Reyn and Fiora in the lab, and Dunban's sword are being crippled that normal people cannot wield the Monado. What you're describing is basically Metal Face's entire character motivation. He wanted to prove himself. Dunban could "handle" the Monado through sheer force of will but it cost him dearly.

Dizzy-4U said:
Should I go with the lastest Dolphin build or is there a better one for Xenoblade?

I'm using the latest one. I have some audio issues during heavy action cutscenes, which is really unfortunate since some of those scenes have dramatic story parts after them, and the music sounds choppy and distorted. I guess there's a hacked version of Dolphin that fixes these, or is supposed to, but I don't want to go through the trouble of replacing all of my files after I'm so far through.

Gvaz

Banned
I was reading reddit and hardly anyone talks about xenoblade there, and then some of the people who did play it didn't think it wasn't as good as FF13 or that ff13 was better than xenogears and I just get so upset I have to go for a walk.

Gvaz said:
I was reading reddit and hardly anyone talks about xenoblade there, and then some of the people who did play it didn't think it wasn't as good as FF13 or that ff13 was better than xenogears and I just get so upset I have to go for a walk.

Don't read reddit mang :p

Also what's the general best
Monado Replica
? Abyss?

Oxx

70-hour spoilers:

Sword Valley/Galahad Fortress
has been the most labourious section so far.

I don't hate it, but I have been happy to go a few days between sessions, whereas previous parts of the game had me desperate to return day after day.

Hiltz

Oxx said:
70-hour spoilers:

Sword Valley/Galahad Fortress
has been the most labourious section so far.

I don't hate it, but I have been happy to go a few days between sessions, whereas previous parts of the game had me desperate to return day after day.

I think most players would agree with you on that. That second place almost felt like being in a maze but you still have the map to assist you.

Jokeropia

Is anyone else as slow as me? 70+ hours in and I'm just about to enter Eryth Sea. I just can't help running through all towns every now and then to check if there are any new quests or if I can increase my area affinity or create some new affinity links between people.

I'm glad they made the clock able to exceed 99:59 in the PAL version, even if the game is now listed in the Nintendo Channel so you can check playtime there as well.

Oxx

70 hour spoilers:

I'm getting the mother of all beat-downs by
Glorious Jurom
and his crew in
Galahad Fortress

Actually it's just his lackeys that are killing me so far. I'm sure the man himself is even worse.

Dascu

Seeing how the speed of the people playing can vary quite a bit, it might be better to mark your spoilers with a level indication instead. I mean, there's people who beat the game at the 70h mark, and others that aren't even halfway at that point. Saying what level you're at is perhaps a better way to mark your progress. Unless some lunatic grinds to level 99 in Colony 9, of course.

Oxx

Dascu said:
Seeing how the speed of the people playing can vary quite a bit, it might be better to mark your spoilers with a level indication instead. I mean, there's people who beat the game at the 70h mark, and others that aren't even halfway at that point. Saying what level you're at is perhaps a better way to mark your progress. Unless some lunatic grinds to level 99 in Colony 9, of course.

Yeah, I did used to put both time and level indicators, but I think it does the job. As you note, there's so much variation in play-time that I tend to ignore most spoilers that contain even the mildest suggestion of mid or late game stuff.

But yes, a level indicator is more revealing that the play-time.

Level 56/70 hours:

RE. previous posts: Wow, who knew that the battle would be a cakewalk after switching to Shulk and just spamming arts non-stop!?

ivysaur12

Banned
I tweeted at Honne and told him GAF wanted a new Baten Kaitos. He's following me now.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

Also, linked Soraya Saga to the thread. She says thanks for the love.

Aww, I beat the toughest enemy yesterday (spoilers). That wasn't as bad as I thought, although I shudder to think what would happen if I slipped and didn't cast
Armour to counter Demon Purging Fire

Bel Marduk said:
Also what's the general best
Monado Replica
? Abyss?
Depends on what you're after really
Rudra has lower critical but base damage is far more stable (I liked this one best), if you're going all out on critical might as well use Dogma (I'm not sure if losing 5% block and 25 def+ether def matter much vs higher critical). Edit: Then again won't Double Attacks critical make regular critical chance obsolete?

Oxx

71 hous/level 57:

Liking the post-
Galahad
stuff a lot. It's almost pushing against the limits of too much chat, but it's a welcome change of pace and tone.

MechaX

Okay. Dark Souls heavily diverted my attention for the past few weeks, but now I'm really to continue with the second half of Xenoblade.

I load up my file to see that my active party was... Melia, Reyn, and Riki? What in the fuck was I thinking with this line up?

ivysaur12 said:
I tweeted at Honne and told him GAF wanted a new Baten Kaitos. He's following me now.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

maybe that he's into ivysaurs

wasn't a Baten Kaitos 3DS kind of hinted at ?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It might have taken me 50 hours to realise it, but You Will Know Our Names (Those Who Bear Their Name) might be my favorite battle theme since the Super NES era of jRPGs.

Up to level 52 now, but I've spent the last four hours finishing older quest. I've started controlling Dunban, and I've maxed my party's Agility (50 cap). Using Shulk and Sharla as the other two party members right now, but I've been swapping Shulk in and out depending on what I'm fighting. Tomorrow the hardcore hours begin, if I play less than 8 hours tomorrow I'll be disappointed.

Gvaz

Banned
ivysaur12 said:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

Who's Honne?

I emailed Soraya Saga about a place to mail a letter, she directs me to the monolith soft website and doesn't reply when I said I wanted to MAIL A REAL LETTER.

The website she provided didn't reply to my email either.

Dynedom

Aveyn Knight said:
Aww, I beat the toughest enemy yesterday (spoilers). That wasn't as bad as I thought, although I shudder to think what would happen if I slipped and didn't cast
Armour to counter Demon Purging Fire

I spam the shit out of Armour in most of my high level fights. That or Aura Seal, depending on if they have annoying Daze/Topple/Poison auras.

kunonabi

Finally cleared out the rest of my backlog so Xenoblade my only title until skyward sword drop. I'm liking it despite a lot of stuff that usually pisses me off. I cant seem to find the giant hornets for collection quest 4 in colony 9 though.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah my major complaint would have to be the game isn't informative enough for sidequets, it assumes you've already explored and remember the location so it just tells you the name

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
After more subquesting, pushed through the main story and picked up the final character. Did the few story missions immediately after, and left it to pick up tomorrow. Really enjoying the story, and all the characters.

GC|Simon

Level 42, I just left
High Entia tomb
behind me and now I'm on my way to prison island. Unfortunately, there are some pretty strong enemies before the
seals
. I'll probably need to level up....

Top Bottom