• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

If you get a Perfect during the Soul Challenge thqt appears before the Skell blows up you don't consume insurance, its like and insurance for the insurance.

sometimes I fail those because I can't believe my Skell is blowing up smh

I have 5 left on my A90

what happens with A90s?

Exactly.

Your allies always get a perfect ejection when their skell gets destroyed so their insurance never goes down, but regardless, every time it does get destroyed you do have to go to the barracks hanger console and it'll tell you that insurance has replaced the skell.

For you, if you get a perfect on the ejection prompt when your skell is destroyed your skell will also get replaced for free and it'll still say insurance replaced it, but, if you fail that ejection prompt, then, and only then will your insurance go down, but even then, so long as you have insurance left insurance is still going to replace your skell.

Basically, it's always going to tell you insurance has replaced your skell when your skell is replaced, once you don't have any insurance left, well, then you won't get that message anymore! Instead it'll ask if you want to abandon it or pay the salvage fee.

this does not seem to be true Celica seems to lose the Skell I give to her very often I pay it off go face the same beastie everyone but her gets a perfect when we all got wrecked again

mAcOdIn

this does not seem to be true Celica seems to lose the Skell I give to her very often I pay it off go face the same beastie everyone but her gets a perfect when we all got wrecked again
If you give a teammate a hand me down skell that you yourself have already lost all the insurance on then you are going to have to replace that skell with money every time that team member loses it. Don't give a teammate a skell with 0 insurance, it has to have at least 1. Otherwise you're going to be paying out the ass to keep it. It has nothing to do with Celica herself. Any teammate you register a skell with 0 insurance will have to be replaced with cash when they lose it.

If your skell has 0 insurance left it doesn't matter if you or a teammate get a perfect on the soul challenge, you will have to pay to replace it.
what happens with A90s?
I don't know myself! I don't want to find out so I save often so that I'm still at 10 insurance. Regardless, if the way you play makes that impractical give the Ares 90 to a teammate once you get down to 1 insurance left and at least someone will get to keep the skell. Because I'm betting that we're going to have to recraft it. I don't know that but I'm betting that.

yes I was told this I just want to know what happens when I hit zero

I already lost it 8 times so I guess I got perfect eject a few times

I just hope I pay credit and not have to re-craft it

yup... you just have to pay credits. don't have to re-craft unless you need to get a new one with 10 insurance.

If you give a teammate a hand me down skell that you yourself have already lost all the insurance on then you are going to have to replace that skell with money every time that team member loses it. Don't give a teammate a skell with 0 insurance, it has to have at least 1. Otherwise you're going to be paying out the ass to keep it. It has nothing to do with Celica herself. Any teammate you register a skell with 0 insurance will have to be replaced with cash when they lose it.

If your skell has 0 insurance left it doesn't matter if you or a teammate get a perfect on the soul challenge, you will have to pay to replace it.

Ouh great post did not know this I am better off buying her a new one! Holy Shit

Manhunt Affinity mission...man this game has some really good cutscene music. Don't think I heard that one yet.

Random BLADE woman while I was in Noctilum for the mission:

"Jumping off waterfalls is the only joy I have in this miserable life."

Yeah its lovely. I believe its called Z15 Field on the OST. The second half of the track is pretty eerie though.

That blade commeny is funny but also really sad :/

KingBroly

Banned
I just finished Chapter 9, so some spoiler-tagged thoughts about the game thus far
- That fight was insanely tough. It felt way too difficult for that point in the game. To go from being level 32-33 entering the area to having to be level 37-38 to beat it was too much IMO, and I had to grind like crazy to do it.
- The music continues to be a major problem for cutscenes. Inappropriate music, music being too loud so I can't hear conversations, etc. The sound design in this game feels pretty poor at times. Not the music, but how it's integrated with everything else is what I'm saying is my problem.
- If the game started me off with 10 tutorial missions to grasp half of the stuff that was in this game, I'd probably be enjoying it a lot more than I am. A lot of stuff is glossed over or not even there. I have 4 AM's, but I don't know how to get the other 4, assuming there are 4 more.
- The whole Party system of active and reserve members is a mess. Why do they drop off the face of the earth instead of being a queue or something? I don't get why I have to find them randomly again instead of using my Communicator to tell them to get their asses in gear.

Now, a question since I
just got the Flight Module. Where are Elma and Lin located so I can put them back into my party?

If you get a Perfect during the Soul Challenge thqt appears before the Skell blows up you don't consume insurance, its like and insurance for the insurance.

Exactly.

Your allies always get a perfect ejection when their skell gets destroyed so their insurance never goes down, but regardless, every time it does get destroyed you do have to go to the barracks hanger console and it'll tell you that insurance has replaced the skell.

For you, if you get a perfect on the ejection prompt when your skell is destroyed your skell will also get replaced for free and it'll still say insurance replaced it, but, if you fail that ejection prompt, then, and only then will your insurance go down, but even then, so long as you have insurance left insurance is still going to replace your skell.

Basically, it's always going to tell you insurance has replaced your skell when your skell is replaced, once you don't have any insurance left, well, then you won't get that message anymore! Instead it'll ask if you want to abandon it or pay the salvage fee.

I knew all this. You guys are missing the point I was making. I've blown my Skells up a ton of times, always landing the perfect ejection, yet that message only started to show up now. It wasn't there before. I have done nothing differently.

I have no explanation.

mAcOdIn

Now, a question since I
just got the Flight Module. Where are Elma and Lin located so I can put them back into my party?
Inside your barracks. Lin actually goes somewhere at night so if she's not there you just need to change the time but all other times she's in the kitchen, Elma's by your map table.

mAcOdIn

I knew all this. You guys are missing the point I was making. I've blown my Skells up a ton of times, always landing the perfect ejection, yet that message only started to show up now. It wasn't there before. I have done nothing differently.

I have no explanation.
I don't either because the message should have always been there. If in fact the message was never there and you didn't just miss it, that's the anomaly, not that you're getting the message now.

rhandino

Banned
When Jim Sterling said that he would not say that Xenoblade X was Japan answer to Mass Effect he was not lying, at this point
NLA its basically the Citadel with all those races living together

I also like a lot the dialogue you get while exploring and how it changes after some major event like that
one Orphean
saying that the Skell used by
Goetia was designed by them and act surprised that humans managed to destroy it.

Also that
Cat race sure look badass while stealing that Skell o_O

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I need some clarification regarding squad missions, specifically for the ones that "gives you a single player experience".

How do I track down those "objectives" at the lower right screen? I know they are enemies with S on their heads but how I search for them?

Is it fine to kill tyrants with S on their name, or will they be later on asked by a quest-giver? I don't want to kill new tyrants unless I have done their quest before because I know they will be a pain to resapwn.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I need some clarification regarding squad missions, specifically for the ones that "gives you a single player experience".

How do I track down those "objectives" at the lower right screen? I know they are enemies with S on their heads but how I search for them?

Is it fine to kill tyrants with S on their name, or will they be later on asked by a quest-giver? I don't want to kill new tyrants unless I have done their quest before because I know they will be a pain to resapwn.

The S means that they're part of the squad quest that's up, so killing them will help complete it and get everyone tickets.

Boss Doggie

The S means that they're part of the squad quest that's up, so killing them will help complete it and get everyone tickets.

so essentially these tyrants are generated for squad missions and not the usual ones that will eventually appear as a normal quest?

also how do I track them

mAcOdIn

Also, tyrants aren't a pain to respawn, they respawn after some time automatically or you could just fast travel or exit your skell and then use the "return to skell" option to make the area reload and the tyrant will be back up.

The only time that wont respawn a tyrant is if it's a tyrant that only comes out during certain weather conditions but even then the chance of you running or flying all the way to NLA, getting the quest and returning before the weather's changed is practically zero, so just kill what you can and want when you want.

Fast travelling and using the return to skell option changes the weather too, the time's the only thing not affected, so you can use that to spawn stuff as well, so if you don't feel like waiting for rain just keep fast travelling to a point until it's raining.

Nothing is "generated" for squad tasks, squad tasks just pick from a pool of normally spawning monsters, tyrants and collectables and tell your team to get/kill them.

I'm not aware of an easy way to "track" them however.

Still, how do you search those squad targets with S?

Good old fashioned google. If you don't know the name of the species/enemy for the squad tasks, you can hold R and then press L to see their names, then you can check the enemy index for their location, but the index does not give the precise location of the enemy, just the continent.

Yet another massive design flaw in an otherwise great game.

Soul Lab

uummm guys.
For the affinity mission at the cathedral it says the mission "marry me" has to be accepted.
I don't have the "marry me" mission on the mission board. I completed the main story. So how does it prog?

Boss Doggie

Good old fashioned google. If you don't know the name of the species/enemy for the squad tasks, you can check the enemy index, but the index does not give the precise location of the enemy, just the continent.

Yet another massive design flaw in an otherwise great game.

...yeah I have no idea what enemies I am supposed to hunt, so that explains the white dots in the Enemy Index?

uummm guys.
For the affinity mission at the cathedral it says the mission "marry me" has to be accepted.
I don't have the "marry me" mission on the mission board. I completed the main story. So how does it prog?

That's the quest asking for 10 pearls iirc, it shows up as early as c3.

Weird that it wouldn't show up.

uummm guys.
just check the mission board nonstop, it will appear

...yeah I have no idea what enemies I am supposed to hunt, so that explains the white dots in the Enemy Index?

Hold R and press L to see the names of the enemies listed in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, then go to the enemy index to see what they look like. While you're out tracking them down, look for the ones with the S above them, as they are the specific targets for the squad tasks.

And the white dots in the index just means that you defeated them.

Golnei

does the mission lead to the affinity quest? maybe I finished the marry me quest without starting the affinity quest. Is this even possible? ^^

That mission has no other purpose than to lead into the affinity mission, you can't finish it any other way.

This is the most I've dug into a JRPG for a while. this game has really grabbed me.

I think I'm going to play the original Xenoblade Chronicles on VC at some point next year.

Is there any point to doing basic missions outside of the 'social' ones that lead you to other missions?

I've ignored them entirely for 60 hours so far.

mAcOdIn

Is there any point to doing basic missions outside of the 'social' ones that lead you to other missions?

I've ignored them entirely for 60 hours so far.
Some have some decent rewards and it is another way to grind affinity as completing a task gains affinity with the teammates you currently have active. Not a lot but every little bit helps!

Some have some decent rewards and it is another way to grind affinity as completing a task gains affinity with the teammates you currently have active. Not a lot but every little bit helps!

Thanks.

Is there a finite amount of them so that the board is 'completable' or are they just randomly generated and/or repeated?

Thanks.

Is there a finite amount of them so that the board is 'completable' or are they just randomly generated and/or repeated?
I have the feeling that the gathering quest are randomly generated
They're not randomly generated. There is a finite pool of them, but the amount is pretty huge.

Every time you check on the mission board, 40 (if I remember correctly) of them are chosen from the pool and shown to you.

If you do enough of them, it'll eventually start showing them again to you. If you have a basic mission already, it will show the text "Clear" (can't miss it) on it, and the checkbox to the left of the mission's name on the board is checked.

Tree-mendous side quest:

Went to save the guy by himself first, and he got eaten by the simius, then went to save the others and they mentioned a herb that calms simius or whatever? Fuck this shit, I don't know when I last saved so I'm not resetting.

Why not make it so you have to save the others first? This is just irritating game design.

Kyzon

So I just wrecked the Xe on top of Premordia. Feels good. I just hit it randomly to see how much damage I'd do, then decided I'd stay and see what happens. Didn't even lose a skell :3

- If the game started me off with 10 tutorial missions to grasp half of the stuff that was in this game, I'd probably be enjoying it a lot more than I am. A lot of stuff is glossed over or not even there. I have 4 AM's, but I don't know how to get the other 4, assuming there are 4 more.
- The whole Party system of active and reserve members is a mess. Why do they drop off the face of the earth instead of being a queue or something? I don't get why I have to find them randomly again instead of using my Communicator to tell them to get their asses in gear.

Where are Elma and Lin located so I can put them back into my party?

1. AM's come from either story based, affinity, or side quests.
2. Most party members have static locations, unless they are awaiting a heart to heart (only at a certain time of the day.)
3. Elma/Lin are normally in the barracks. If they aren't there, you have earned 'heart to hearts' to do. Either find/do them, or change the time.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Who's grown by leaps and bounds? This girl.
WVW69itNBQsH0pdliU

Top Bottom