• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade in stock at many Gamestops for $90. Was it reprinted? Who knows!

Had 6,000 points I didn't need, and wanted to own a copy of the game so I picked one up. The coupon I had was if you buy 2 or more used games you could get 20% off, so I grabbed Hotel Dust for roughly $2 loose and got the whole shebang for a little over $60. Fair value IMO. It had the R sticker, but I still think mine was used. The box itself was a little banged up, and the biggest givaway was the fact that the cover was reversed. I can see GS opening a new copy to sell used, but I have trouble imagining that they decided to flip the insert to show the alternate cover. Not saying there wasn't a reprint, but the one copy that was in my store did not seem new in the least. CN code was unused though.

Or maybe I didn't have a Wii at the time, and I want it now that I have a Wii U. It's 20-goddamn-13, there is a simple solution to this problem and Nintendo is well aware of how to fix it. I mean, this thread's about a gamestop conspiracy, I'm sure there's some people who might believe Nintendo caused a shortage of FE:A intentionally to drive digital sales.

Then I would say that falls under one or the other: procrastination (you waited until its successor to buy into a platform and you're fussing about a previous-gen game's availability?) or monetary reasons (you couldn't afford a Wii but are now well off enough to afford Wii U (in which case you have a better reason to complain).

I'm never going to argue that this shouldn't get a widespread (i.e, not-retailer-exclusive) Nintendo Selects reissue, but for anyone to not have it now and complain about the price still falls under those two categories. (And let's be honest, the retail shoppers who wait for deep discounts and cheap reprints are a type of procrastinator: "good things come to he who waits" and all that...)

Gamestop doesn't necessarily control or even have notice of a reprint and if Gamestop is making $40 margin on each bought-back copy that's still plenty worth it to them.

Considering that Gamestop is the exclusive retailer for Xenoblade, I don't think Nintendo would print and ship them more copies without their knowledge or approval. You are speaking about the general case. There is no scenario where Nintendo would print a second run of this game (considering the Gamestop exclusivity, considering the limited quantities of the first run) and for Gamestop to be unaware of a new printing.

The margin on buying new print from the publisher and then selling them for $90 used is greater than buying back used copies from the first print and selling them for $90... so why would they pay $40-$50 for used copies from the first print?

All the reasons people are using to say that these are new copies for a second print also mesh with the idea that these are refurbished/redistributed used copies from the first print.

Why would they have to sell for $60, because thats the price of other new games??

MSRP for a new Wii game, including Xenoblade, is actually $50.

Chill Dude

Neo Member
Selling New games as used as they can mark it up at a higher price is just like the actions of a certain retailer here in the UK which I refuse to shop at. So glad I bought Xenoblade in a closing down sale in Blockbuster over here as it's just as rare here in the UK.

Wichu

Selling New games as used as they can mark it up at a higher price is just like the actions of a certain retailer here in the UK which I refuse to shop at. So glad I bought Xenoblade in a closing down sale in Blockbuster over here as it's just as rare here in the UK.

It's not at $90 levels yet. You can still get it for <£30 used and £40 new.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure there's some people who might believe Nintendo caused a shortage of FE:A intentionally to drive digital sales.

Well considering when I tried getting that game at Gamestop they said Nintendo would never make and ship more copies in and it would be digital codes only from now on after it being sold out... you can wonder why people would think that might be going on. Who tells their customers that load of crap. I had the right mind to rub my copy in that workers face after I got it from Best Buy a few days afterwards.

has anyone tried the "AUG15" promotional code/ enter the rewards card code to make the game $68 on checkout? or is that just a rumor?

-if its true I might get another copy-

edit:confirmed its 68 bucks if you do this-

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
has anyone tried the "AUG15" promotional code/ enter the rewards card code to make the game $68 on checkout? or is that just a rumor?

-if its true I might get another copy-

edit:confirmed its 68 bucks if you do this-

will work online. Aug15 does not work in store. Ordering online seems to be the easiest way to get it the cheapest.. and most seem to be getting great copies. I've read a few people who have gotten obviously used copies in the past few days.

so basically go to the store and spend $81 for a guaranteed quality copy (provided the one your store has is great). Or order online for $68 for hopefully a great copy. Unless of course you have a coupon that will work in store.

borghe

haha who thought it would work in store...smh

eh this isn't entirely accurate.. there have been quite a few coupon codes shared between B&M and online. But yeah, not this one (or usually any short one like that).

I still don't understand the outrage here. For MONTHS (since spring) this game has been going for $100+ on Amazon and eBay. It was $60 on Gamestop used but NEVER in stock ANYWHERE. Now Gamestop's availability matches Amazon's and eBay's, and for still unquestionably a lower price, and everyone is up in arms because of a reprint rumor started here on GAF no less? Prior to this whole thing it was "yeah it's expensive but it's such a great game" and now it's like "Fucking gamestop scammers.. it's not worth anywhere near that much."

Anyway, I am 6 hours in and have zero regrets. It's $1 more than I paid for Chrono Trigger cartridge-only back around 2000, and the opening hours so far have been near the top of jRPGs from ANY generation. Just an incredible game. Yeah I would have loved to get it for $50, but considering the last Wii game I bought before this was Skyward Sword Gold Controller bundle, and the last one before that was..... ummm.. Klonoa and Deadly Creatures on clearance? Clearly it's my fault for abandoning the Wii before the game came out, not Nintendo's or Gamestop's.

edit - and if anything, this whole Gamestop situation was worth it just for FINALLY driving down Amazon and eBay prices. eBay auctions are finally closing under $90, and Amazon Like New copies are finally under $100. For reference like I said I've been following prices on this game since spring.. Amazon has been over $120+ for Like New since spring and eBay has been over $100 since then also. So at least prices on the game are coming down a bit finally.

eh this isn't entirely accurate.. there have been quite a few coupon codes shared between B&M and online. But yeah, not this one (or usually any short one like that)..

mind blown- sorry about that , I had no idea.

it truly is a great game and I am glad you can at least enjoy it

I paid $200 for radiant silvergun (amongst numerous classic titles well over their respective release price) so as a collector: 68 bucks...eh not that bad

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I believe the rumor started on CAG, and was only fueled more by people claiming area stores "suddenly" were showing stck of the item, and of course someone was told by an employee that there were thousands of copies available online now, despite previously being sold out.

Personally I don't buy into the reprint rumor. I think a more realistic scenario is stock was found at a warehouse.

I am glad that it's hurting the prices for collectors. Those pricks drive game prices up for everyone.

I believe the rumor started on CAG, and was only fueled more by people claiming area stores "suddenly" were showing stck of the item, and of course someone was told by an employee that there were thousands of copies available online now, despite previously being sold out.

Personally I don't buy into the reprint rumor. I think a more realistic scenario is stock was found at a warehouse.

I am glad that it's hurting the prices for collectors. Those pricks drive game prices up for everyone.

Still doesn't explain the new cases they're in.

Also, it looks like more stores have received shipments of the game. According to the stock checker, two more stores in my city have copies while twenty more stores within fifty miles are showing stock compared to yesterday.

kswiston

The margin on buying new print from the publisher and then selling them for $90 used is greater than buying back used copies from the first print and selling them for $90... so why would they pay $40-$50 for used copies from the first print?

Not really. The margin on new games isn't that high. I wouldn't be surprised if Gamestop was paying Nintendo around $40 per copy if the MSRP is $50. Also, they are paying people store credit, not cash.

*checks store locator, sees that every Gamestop in a 25 mile radius suddenly has copies of Xenoblade*

Welp. That's not shady looking at all.

Andrew.

Banned
Woah.

So it's available to buy used online and now it's at about a dozen nearby GameStops in my area (South FL). What the hell is going on?

I mean I have the PAL version, but I wouldnt mind getting the NA release either. This is odd and tempting as hell.

stupei

So Gamestop got a bunch of new copies of the game to sell and are instead gutting copies and selling used for $90?

What the fuck

They did precisely the same thing when SMT 3 and Digital Devil Saga 1 were reprinted. Only stopped once amazon and play-asia got their shipments in.

Oh don't worry, they aren't gutted in the slightest. They are just marking up the price to $90 by saying it is "used"

Oh, well then that's an improvement.

They were absolutely gutting the copies of DDS1. Putting the "used" stickers directly on the sleeve too, at least at the Gamestops I went to.

Suddenly every store within 20 miles (Akron, Oh) has a used copy of this game while just a week or two ago there wasn't one within 100 miles.

Thanks Gamestop.

ShinMaruku

As much as people want to blast Nintendo and gamestop this is quite aptly people making their bed and now have the lay in it.

Mugaaz

I don't understand moral outcry for people charging high prices for entertainment. If you don't want to pay that amount, don't. You're not entitled to buy it at X price. If someone wants to sell it for 3X the price it doesn't make them immoral.

borghe

I don't understand moral outcry for people charging high prices for entertainment. If you don't want to pay that amount, don't. You're not entitled to buy it at X price. If someone wants to sell it for 3X the price it doesn't make them immoral.
the outrage here is based on an assumption. The facts are exactly like you are saying. If anything, the facts are more promising because the result of this is that prices have come down everywhere (i.e. mainly Amazon and eBay).

However the assumption by many is that this is a reprint in which case, if it were, they would effectively be manufactured and sold at the higher price.

If it were a reprint and:

a) it cost essentially the same to print it now as it did last year and
b) it was authorized by Nintendo (which it would have had to have been)

then the outcry would be fairly justified. People have been asking for a reprint for over a year now and to do one under these circumstances is the definition of shady.

but again, the fact is that we have no real proof of reprint except for guess and "random gamestop employee (of varying importance) told me blah"

Andrew.

Banned
Everyone should just be grateful that it's back out in whatever form its in: Used, Shady Used, etc.

Now you all have a chance to score a copy without worrying about a super inflated jackass price.

You can just pay the stupid inflated jackass price at Gamestop.

kswiston

the outrage here is based on an assumption. The facts are exactly like you are saying. If anything, the facts are more promising because the result of this is that prices have come down everywhere (i.e. mainly Amazon and eBay).

However the assumption by many is that this is a reprint in which case, if it were, they would effectively be manufactured and sold at the higher price.

If it were a reprint and:

a) it cost essentially the same to print it now as it did last year and
b) it was authorized by Nintendo (which it would have had to have been)

then the outcry would be fairly justified. People have been asking for a reprint for over a year now and to do one under these circumstances is the definition of shady.

but again, the fact is that we have no real proof of reprint except for guess and "random gamestop employee (of varying importance) told me blah"

Even if it is a reprint, the game is more obtainable than it was a month ago, and for a cheaper price. The ideal situation would have been a Nintendo Selects re-release at all retailers, but this is better than nothing at all. Like you said, those who don't approve on Gamestop's shenanigans can get a copy at Ebay/Amazon for a little less than they could previously.

borghe

Even if it is a reprint, the game is more obtainable than it was a month ago, and for a cheaper price. The ideal situation would have been a Nintendo Selects re-release at all retailers, but this is better than nothing at all. Like you said, those who don't approve on Gamestop's shenanigans can get a copy at Ebay/Amazon for a little less than they could previously.

of course (and I bought one of these).

The understandable other side of the argument is that if it was indeed a reprint... who reprinted it? In the previous SMT reprints it was GQD I believe who actually reprinted them licensed from Atlus. Gamestop put them out as "used" at full price, until other retailers started getting the reprint copies as well.

If Nintendo actually reprinted them here (there is no past situation to assume Nintendo licensed reprints out before, not to mention these "like new" copies are coming with valid Nintendo Club codes and in cases with the licensed Nintendo logo) then the understandable question is, why aren't these being made available at other retailers? And if it's because Gamestop and Nintendo actually have an agreement for US/CAN distribution, then why wouldn't Nintendo basically call Gamestop out on this saying "Hey, we shipped you new copies. WTF?"

Of course the ultimate conspiracy here is that Gamestop is selling them at $90 and giving a cut of that $90 (higher wholesale price) to Nintendo.

Of course any and all of this is enough to make your head hurt. Frankly I am in the same boat you are saying. I was able to actually get a copy for the cheapest I've been actually able to get one for like 5 months now. I WAS in St. Louis in March and a store like 60 miles from there had one for $60... but it didn't work out to get there before I left. And yeah, that is literally the ONLY availability I've had in getting the game outside of Amazon/eBay in like 5 months.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow.

You know, I haven't really been on board with a lot of the GameStop hate. This type of thing makes me furious, though. What a joke.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I regret selling my copy and I want to buy another copy of the game. With my power up card and the 15% coupon it's under $70 but I don't want to support this rip off...

borghe

Again, GameStop can't just reprint a few thousand copies to sell because they want to. It's just as illegal for them to do it as it is for you to do it.

If it is a reprint it had to be licensed by Nintendo. Hence Nintendo should be the one asked if they ok'd a reprint to see if this can be put to rest.

kurbaan

Banned
how is the condition of your copy?

it looks brand new. Disc and manual look brand new for sure and manual has that new smell. Even has the Nintendo registration card and "you might like these other games" insert.

Case looks mostly new just has those preowned stickers.

man if this was a brand new game they made preowned in really pissed

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wow what the fuck is going on?! Literally a week ago the closest store to me that had a copy was 97 miles away now all my local stores have it? This is some dirty shit gamestop.

Malvingt2

it looks brand new. Disc and manual look brand new for sure and manual has that new smell. Even has the Nintendo registration card and "you might like these other games" insert.

Case looks mostly new just has those preowned stickers.

man if this was a brand new game they made preowned in really pissed

damn... a lot of people in different forums are saying the same thing about the condition..

Hiccup

Banned
damn... a lot of people in different forums are saying the same thing about the condition..

I went to two of my local GameStops and both had two copies and both were in New Condition. Without the plastic wrap you'd know no difference between it and truly new.

Top Bottom