• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xmas Nintendo Downloads - December 09 - It's a Christmas miracle; Oregon Trail DSi!

zigg

wrowa said:
That game really looks awesome, especially considering that it's only 500 Points. Wouldn't have expected that. At least technically it seems to be one of the most polished WiiWare games to date.

As far as I can tell, it was 1,000 for its Japanese debut. Not sure if the new price reflects a lack of confidence or poor performance or what.

wrowa said:
Any impressions yet?

I found these of the Japanese original, but they're mostly useless. Hopefully someone will come in here soon, because I can't play for a handful of hours yet...

There was also this thread, where Magypsy23 anxiously awaited the game, got it, and then simply noted (s)he was stuck on stage 21 without saying whether it was good or not. :lol

I bought blaster master and played for a bit, then i did the same thing I used to do when I had the cartridge as a kid and jumped too far down to where I can't get my tank back, because the tank is on a platform that I can't reach.

RABBIDS LAB
Publisher: Ubisoft
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Cartoon Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: A raving Rabbid is stuck inside the Wii Remote controller. Come play with him. First, try interacting with him by moving the Wii Remote or pressing the buttons and seeing how much he loves it. Once you've gotten to know the crazy guy, it's time to change his appearance in the Lab. Mess with his head and place seasonal accessories on him, or change his look entirely with the painting module. When you've made your raving Rabbid completely unique, you can take a photo and send it in a Wii™ message to show your Wii Friends (broadband Internet connection required).
A. Duh, sending to people takes a connection.
B. Isn't it completely redundant, being a downloadable title on a system that only supports broadband?

Is anyone having problems downloading Castlevania? I'm trying to download it to a SD card and it keeps freezing on the third coin block on the download screen.

wk4rc7.jpg

Never change, Oregon Trail.

MoxManiac

JLateralus said:
Is anyone having problems downloading Castlevania? I'm trying to download it to a SD card and it keeps freezing on the third coin block on the download screen.

Nope, worked fine for me. I downloaded it straight to a SD card. The wii shop was realllly slow though.

JLateralus said:
What downloading to SD card does is download to Wii console then copy it over to SD card at the end...which leads to the third coin block taking forever. I guess if the SD card isn't inserted correctly or otherwise has something wrong with it then it could freeze there. For now just download to Wii and copy it over to SD card later.

Just watched all the Nintendo Channel videos and read all the instructions. It seems kind of silly for Hudson to put out a 3rd Sudoku game on DSiWare, especially when it's the same price as Sudoku Master. Also, I'm kind of disappointed that The Magic Obelisk doesn't appear to use IR, which is too bad, because it seems like the type of game that could benefit from it.

Yes Boss!

donny2112 said:
You have to finish the game in one sitting? No saving and no passwords?

Just continues if you opt for it. Nice and old-school. Making those hidden meats all more important. Though, when you beat a boss your life meter is filled back up.

Yes Boss!

donny2112 said:
Save states to come back to it later like in non-N64 VC?

No save states. But you have the option to put your guys up to 9 and a choice between easy, medium, and hard. It isn't a super long game so it feels arcadey.

Aside from the fact that these drastic thread title changes throw me off the trail of this thread and force me into performing a search, and that this was a 1 VC game week, this was a very, very good week.

Yes Boss!

cartman414 said:
Aside from the fact that these drastic thread title changes throw me off the trail of this thread and force me into performing a search, and that this was a 1 VC game week, this was a very, very good week.

I've been playing Pilotwings all morning. This week is crazy good.

robot

Hooray, Castlevania! Waiting for my Classic Pro to come in before picking it up (along with Contra). Any other Rebirth games on the horizon?

GeekyDad

I left off on the fifth-stage, but had to shut it down for a meal. Absolutely wonderful, old-school Castlevania...but not being able to save your progress kinda sucks. I understand what they're going for, and with Contra ReBirth it wasn't really an issue. But this game is substantially longer on the first playthrough (on Normal). Really excellent otherwise. Love the controls, music, level design. Good stuff.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
What really impresses about Castlevania is how the stages are different in each path. I mean, previous CVs had multiple paths too but this is pretty much the biggest difference I've seen. It's like 2 stages in one. Each path has exclusive enemies and traps, that you won't see anywhere else, so the game is replayable as fuck.

It's pratically as if, the game had split paths like in CV3 or RoB.

Culex

Banned
Castlevania is such an awesome game! I'm loving the music so far....reminds me of the music from the Genesis Turtles games.

thefro

The controls are just dead-on in Castlevania Rebirth. I know it's not true to the originals, but it's a real joy to play one of these games with controls that are this smooth instead of Simon Belmont controlling like a tank. Almost gives me a Megaman feeling during the platforming, especially when the whip is shooting fireballs.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
i swear i'll never use non-SDHC cards with the wii. ever. again.

*on to re-download a shitload of wiiware and vc titles. and a handful of homebrews*

Neo Samus

thefro said:
The controls are just dead-on in Castlevania Rebirth. I know it's not true to the originals, but it's a real joy to play one of these games with controls that are this smooth instead of Simon Belmont controlling like a tank. Almost gives me a Megaman feeling during the platforming, especially when the whip is shooting fireballs.

What's funny is that there is an unlockable "classic control" mode. So when belmont jumps, he jumps in that direction only. I'm not sure how I unlocked it though.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Neo Samus said:
What's funny is that there is an unlockable "classic control" mode. So when belmont jumps, he jumps in that direction only. I'm not sure how I unlocked it though.

I got it after getting game overed in Stage 4. So I have no idea! :lol

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just bought Oregon Trail. Man, it's awesome. Minus the continual loading, that is. I love how when you go to "run" speed the bulls pulling your wagon's eyes bulge out :lol

Well worth the 800 points, imo. One of my daughters caught typhoid :( which is apparently cured with just 5 days of rest.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Heh, I was right.

My post from the Castlevania Rebirth thread:
In the Nunchuk controls menu there's a setting labeled SWING that you can turn on or off. Anybody know what this is? I'm thinking it might mean you can swing the Wiimote to whip.

If you play with remote and nunchuk you can make whipping motions with the remote to whip. It's a terrible way to play but it's awesome that they included it anyway. :lol

blu

since somebody asked earlier in this thread: downloading to the wii's SD does not go through the internal flash, or if it does it it's in smalls chunks, not in whole. i just downloaded a bunch of 300+ block titles with only 85 free blocks internally.

Somnid

blu said:
since somebody asked earlier in this thread: downloading to the wii's SD does not go through the internal flash, or if it does it it's in smalls chunks, not in whole. i just downloaded a bunch of 300+ block titles with only 85 free blocks internally.

I think I was telling somebody this is how it worked in one of the Media Create threads and was told I was wrong and that it goes through the internal flash RAM then to the SD card. Glad to know I wasn't crazy.

zigg

blu said:

I suspect it downloads entirely to RAM then writes to wherever you asked it to be put. That's perfectly do-able with that 40 MB limit we've heard about.

I think I will pass on giving Magic Obelisk impressions right now. I've completed what I think is the first third of the game, and I think I have yet to see if it's going to get more complex, basically.

BooJoh

blu said:
It's possible it still downloads to the system, in the same place where games are pre-loaded when playing them off the SD card.

Notice if you load a game of the SD card, it'll say "Launching" and show a progress bar as it loads.
If you immediately exit the game, then load it again, the Launching bar is not shown, as the game is still preloaded (this is even true if you turn the system off between the two.)
However, if you go to the shop and download something to the SD card, then go back and load the previous game again, it shows the Launching bar again.

I haven't done extensive testing (because does it really matter?) but it seems to support my conclusion.

Finally caught on to the Genesis 500 point sale. Altered Beast = no go, already have either cart or compilation versions of Gunstar Heroes (amazing deal for $5, if you don't have this game, get it now!) and Sonic. But Puyo Puyo 2, SoR2, and TJ&E are definitely tempting. Which should I choose? I'm really iffy on TJ&E since I never played it and heard mixed comments, I like old school beat 'em ups but I also love quirky puzzlers (and it'd be nice to have a real Puyo game instead of ugly old Dr R Mean Bean machine).

edit: Also, am absolutely loving my first playthrough of Blaster Master with save points. :D

BooJoh said:
It's possible it still downloads to the system, in the same place where games are pre-loaded when playing them off the SD card.

Notice if you load a game of the SD card, it'll say "Launching" and show a progress bar as it loads.
If you immediately exit the game, then load it again, the Launching bar is not shown, as the game is still preloaded (this is even true if you turn the system off between the two.)
However, if you go to the shop and download something to the SD card, then go back and load the previous game again, it shows the Launching bar again.

I haven't done extensive testing (because does it really matter?) but it seems to support my conclusion.

That is because the game is put on the internal flash and is essentially like phantom data, that's why it loads so fast the next time. I believe the phantom data is deleted when another channel or game is launched.

blu

BooJoh said:

i'm not 100% sure, but i don't think i had a cached game in the on-board flash when i started the downloading. the reason i believe that is i had done some copying of savegames before i got to the wii store downloads, and i don't remember seeing the cached game icon among my savegames. also, i still had 85 blocks free internally after i had finished with all the downloading - so unless the wii store downloads into scratchpad, copies to SD, and then restores what was originally in scratchpad after each download, i don't see how i'd have the exact same amount of free blocks that i originally started with.

actually, what zigg suggests is quite plausible - the wii store could use just system RAM for all the download purposes.

i'll check it myself. but not tonight.

Top Bottom