• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xmas Nintendo Downloads - December 09 - It's a Christmas miracle; Oregon Trail DSi!

ElFly

Street Fighter Alpha 2? for the SNES?

Ok, that's a pretty weird release if you ask me.

Will probably buy just for kicks.

Round

One

Fight!

Why's everyone mentioning the GBA version of Rayman? Wasn't there already a DS port of the original Rayman? Edit: Never mind. The DS one was a port of Rayman 2. Carry on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
cooljeanius said:
Why's everyone mentioning the GBA version of Rayman? Wasn't there already a DS port of the original Rayman? I'm guessing it's just a port of Rayman DS.
No, "Rayman DS" was a port of Rayman 2.

SFA2 SNES is such a neat historical artifact of one of my favorite games of all time, so I'm down for that. However, Cap needs to get SFA2gold on VCA too. Pony that and one of the Darkstalkers games up and I'll love you forever.

Looking forward to Rayman impressions.

Somnid

Doing some research: SFAII uses the S-DD1 chip which I from what I gather is the hardest chip to emulate on the SNES (from what I understand they use decompressed packs of art to get around it on PC emulators). The other game that used it was Star Ocean. Very cool.

Looks like DSiWare is the winner this week!

Surely Capcom must be running out of console ports, when the hell are we gonna start getting their original Arcade games!?

Doing some research: SFAII uses the S-DD1 chip which I from what I gather is the hardest chip to emulate on the SNES (from what I understand they use decompressed packs of art to get around it on PC emulators). The other game that used it was Star Ocean. Very cool.

Oh yeah you're right (actually I don't think there's any PC emulator that emulates the game properly, AFAIK they all cheat and have the art assets already decompressed) so it's actually pretty surprising to see Nintendo go through all the effort to emulate the chip for an arcade port!

At least it means Star Ocean can be released (not that it'll ever get released in English)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Somnid said:
Not to surprising that Nintendo is able to fully emulate the SNES. Wonder whats up with the N64 rumble and memeory card packs though.

Surely Capcom must be running out of console ports, when the hell are gonna start getting their original Arcade games!?
When they run out of console ports of course. I wonder if they will release stuff like SF3 on the Wii, that would be nice.

joedick said:
Are we sure Rayman is the GBA game? When they wanted to put Intellivision Lives on DSiWare they were declined due to a 'no emulation' policy.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/979/979960p1.html

The DSi can run GBA code natively, without the need for emulation.

But the screenshots show that it's not the GBA one anyway since the assets have been redrawn and the bottom screen is being used.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's using most of the same game code though (since the code would run natively anyway)

It's lame that Rayman DSi is just a port and not a new game. If you have a PSP there's no real reason to buy it when you can get the uncompromised original PS1 version on PSN (and for $2 cheaper, no less).

usea

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh yeah you're right (actually I don't think there's any PC emulator that emulates the game properly, AFAIK they all cheat and have the art assets already decompressed) so it's actually pretty surprising to see Nintendo go through all the effort to emulate the chip for an arcade port!
SNES emulators have had true S-DD1 emulation for 5-6 years. The graphics pack stopgap solution was fairly short-lived.

nincompoop said:
It's lame that Rayman DSi is just a port and not a new game. If you have a PSP there's no real reason to buy it when you can get the uncompromised original PS1 version on PSN (and for $2 cheaper, no less).

It does have new gameplay features though, so that may make up for the other differences if you've got a PS3/PSP.

Jazzem

Gilby said:
Magnetis looks interesting, did anyone buy it yet?

I bought the EU version recently, it's a really great little puzzler that looks like it'll have good multiplayer (though I've not had the chance to try that out yet). Worth it if you're after that sort of thing :)

radcliff

Drkirby said:
When they run out of console ports of course. I wonder if they will release stuff like SF3 on the Wii, that would be nice.

SF3 was on the CPS III system which was CD based so that could be more difficult given size limitations. The SF2 -> SSFT: Turbo, Darkstalkers, and Alpha games were on either CPS I or II which are cartridge based so those are more likely.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nuclear Muffin said:
It does have new gameplay features though, so that may make up for the other differences if you've got a PS3/PSP.
What are they?

And all this makes me want to do is pull out my copy of Rayman for the PS1 and give it a playthough on my PS3.

SF3 was on the CPS III system which was CD based so that could be more difficult given size limitations. The SF2 -> SSFT: Turbo, Darkstalkers, and Alpha games were on either CPS I or II which are cartridge based so those are more likely.
While true, I think SF3 was only about 40MBs still.

Somnid

Given Capcom's rather half-assed support I don't think we'll see their arcade boards any time soon. I'd love to be wrong though.

Somnid said:
Given Capcom's rather half-assed support I don't think we'll see their arcade boards any time soon. I'd love to be wrong though.

they released any street fighter version which is availabel on VC's consoles.
you really think they will not release the arcade versions too?

they will milk the franchise as much as possible.
I expect Street Fighter 2(followed by it's trillions of different versions) for Virtual Arcade in the next months, each priced 900 points

and I will buy them all :(

Meier

I searched for Bookworm to see if there was a general DSiware impressions thread and didnt see one but I might have missed it. Anyway, just giving props because they did a very nice job on the conversion. Definitely worth the 5 bucks! I still had some of my original 1000 points so it was free for me and my gf is loving it. Perfect.

MoxManiac

Given VC (and i'm assuming VCA) track record emulation accuracy, I'd conclude Capcom arcade games on VCA would be bliss!

andymcc

Banned
hey look! another week without castlevania!

...shinobi is really awesome and better than all of the other releases put together.

andymcc said:
hey look! another week without castlevania!

...shinobi is really awesome and better than all of the other releases put together.

I dunno, I find Ninja Gaiden(VC arcade) to be better
but Shinobi is a great game nevertheless

radcliff

iamaustrian said:
I expect Street Fighter 2(followed by it's trillions of different versions) for Virtual Arcade in the next months, each priced 900 points

and I will buy them all :(

I think the only console version not to be released on VC is SSFII for Genesis. It is ESRB rated so I imagine it could come at any time, hopefully followed by the acrade versions. Maybe VC will get the arcade Final Fight when the remix appears on XBLA/PSN.

Insaniac

has there been anything on dsiware worth getting lately? The last thing I downloaded was boxlife and flipnote studio

Link Man

Banned
So I got Rayman, and having only played the GBA version, I can safely say that the DSi version is much better. I have no idea how it stacks up to the PS1 version, though.

GeekyDad

I will have Castlevania ReBirth! You can play coy all you like, Konami, but eventually you will give in to our plight! :D

usea said:
SNES emulators have had true S-DD1 emulation for 5-6 years. The graphics pack stopgap solution was fairly short-lived.
Also it hasn't been proven what method Nintendo is using yet. That said, could Star Ocean be coming? The existence of Star Ocean First Departure makes me doubt its release a bit* but it seems like too much effort for SFA2 of all things.

I guess this means Super-FX is next or will something like SPC7110 be the next chip done
I don't know why I can see Nintendo doing something like that :lol

*-NCL seen to be fine with remakes and originals existing provided the remake has been out for about a year (see FC Fire Emblem and SFC Kirby Super Star) but what about Square-Enix?

Drkirby said:
Not to surprising that Nintendo is able to fully emulate the SNES. Wonder whats up with the N64 rumble and memeory card packs though.
I wonder if N64 rumble is kind of like the "BPlus: you can't use DK bongos in Platchen Twist n' Pain" style of thinking in the sense of not wanting Wii-only people to feel left out. That is to say, the classic controller doesn't rumble and outside of Japan Gamecube controllers are not sold so despite rumble being trivial (they already did it on the GC Zelda discs) it won't be done.

As for Controller Pak. If any third party games come along that use it then it'll be emulated (do it when it needs to be done seems to be the stance Nintendo take). I guess they felt the Mario Kart ghosts were not a substantial enough part of the game (and I'd say the big appeal of them was heading to a friends hose with them which doesn't translate easily on the Wii side of things)

Drkirby said:
It is Capcom we are talking about so they'll probably give us Street Fighter 1 and from the lack of sales conclude there is no interest and be like: "We don't get it. The fans said they wanted arcade street fighter on the Wii VC and that is what we gave them. Why did they turn evil? What do you mean winding people up?"

sfog

It should probably be noted that, judging from its Nintendo Channel trailer anyway, Ball Fighter is a blatant clone of Magical Drop, an excellent puzzle game.

farnham

Banned
ElFly said:
Street Fighter Alpha 2? for the SNES?

Ok, that's a pretty weird release if you ask me.

Will probably buy just for kicks.

Round

One

Fight!
i remember it being a damn good port though

of course that loading sucked hard.. but still sfa 2 is the best of the alpha series in my opinion (the whole ISM shit in sfa 3 made it too confusing for me.. although i poured in a lot of hours in sfa 3 too) and it is a solid port for the snes

ROCK! I really enjoyed Alex Kidd in Shinobi World.
Fun platforming and some neat secret areas.
It was the last good Alex Kidd game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
MAGNETIS sounds kind of interesting, is cheap and I haven't d/led a Wiiware in a while... worth getting you think?

My Dolphin pretty much sounds like the worst game ever made, though.
I HATE DOLPHINS

Oli

Link Man said:
So I got Rayman, and having only played the GBA version, I can safely say that the DSi version is much better. I have no idea how it stacks up to the PS1 version, though.

Thank you sir! Having only played the GBA version also, this means I'll definitely pick it up. I sold my GBA cart way back, and I've been clamoring to return to it.

Somnid

Starwolf_UK said:
*-NCL seen to be fine with remakes and originals existing provided the remake has been out for about a year (see FC Fire Emblem and SFC Kirby Super Star) but what about Square-Enix?

Final Fantasy IV DS to Final Fantasy IV VC. They should be okay with it provided the orginal no longer sells.

Starwolf_UK said:
I wonder if N64 rumble is kind of like the "BPlus: you can't use DK bongos in Platchen Twist n' Pain" style of thinking in the sense of not wanting Wii-only people to feel left out. That is to say, the classic controller doesn't rumble and outside of Japan Gamecube controllers are not sold so despite rumble being trivial (they already did it on the GC Zelda discs) it won't be done.

I've always believed this to be the case. They don't officially recognize the GCN support of Wii. It's there for use if they can just overlay the controls from the Wiimote/CC but they wouldn't develop a feature that could not be used by Wii accessories.

Starwolf_UK said:
As for Controller Pak. If any third party games come along that use it then it'll be emulated (do it when it needs to be done seems to be the stance Nintendo take). I guess they felt the Mario Kart ghosts were not a substantial enough part of the game (and I'd say the big appeal of them was heading to a friends hose with them which doesn't translate easily on the Wii side of things)

Probably. However even if they do I suspect they won't update MK64 to use it.

ElFly

farnham said:
i remember it being a damn good port though

of course that loading sucked hard.. but still sfa 2 is the best of the alpha series in my opinion (the whole ISM shit in sfa 3 made it too confusing for me.. although i poured in a lot of hours in sfa 3 too) and it is a solid port for the snes

I love Alpha 2; bought a PSX for it (yeah, I know about the saturn. shut up, sega people). Yeah, I like it better than alpha 3 too.

The port was good, but the loading made it difficult to play. At least the disc based consoles loaded once per match, so it was less annoying. The SNES? loading before the start of the round, and after the final hit.

Oli

Went ahead and downloaded Rayman DSiWare, here are some impressions for anyone on the fence.

First of all, anyone wondering if this is a port of the GBA port need not worry, from what I can tell this is a completely remade iteration of the game, and more closely resembles its original console counterparts than anything. The music is much more faithful to the original stuff, though there's probably still a little compression on the sound. Overall though it looks pretty close to the original game.

As far as new stuff, there's a map on the bottom screen with scrolls along with you. It seems pretty handy, since it removes guesswork from the leaps of faith in the GBA port. Everytime you hit a checkpoint, the camera will snap your picture for your file. I didn't know what it was doing at first because my room was dark and it was only picking up a black image.

Anyway, I highly recommend it, $8 is a small price to pay for such a great platformer.

Grant DaNasty

Neo Member
I sure hope they don't make us wait til next Halloween for Castlevania.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 was one of the few (only?) SNES game to feature load times. Yes, load times. Something about a funky chip they used to decompress data.

Teknoman

Link Man said:

Any more impressions?

rpmurphy

Got Rayman and Army Defender and they're both great. I recommend both.

I've never played Rayman before but so far it's great. Rayman's voice suffers a little from compression and the camera thing is gimmicky, but aside from those minor gripes, the game is very well-made. But I don't like it as much as a platformer though. It feels rather slow.

Army Defender is a must-buy under the 200 point category if you enjoy this kind of base defense gameplay. It doesn't have as much depth as say Defend Your Castle since powerups are only temporary and the only thing that gets permanently upgraded is the number of bullets in your bursts. However, its difficulty build-up is very quick and there's fast-paced action right from the beginning like an arcade game. Very fun. Lefty-friendly fyi, since the game is held sideways and uses the touch screen to aim and fire.

Oli

rpmurphy said:
Got Rayman and Army Defender and they're both great. I recommend both.

I've never played Rayman before but so far it's great. Rayman's voice suffers a little from compression and the camera thing is gimmicky, but aside from those minor gripes, the game is very well-made. But I don't like it as much as a platformer though. It feels rather slow.

Army Defender is a must-buy under the 200 point category if you enjoy this kind of base defense gameplay. It doesn't have as much depth as say Defend Your Castle since powerups are only temporary and the only thing that gets permanently upgraded is the number of bullets in your bursts. However, its difficulty build-up is very quick and there's fast-paced action right from the beginning like an arcade game. Very fun. Lefty-friendly fyi, since the game is held sideways and uses the touch screen to aim and fire.

Keep playing it. This game starts off slow, but becomes so punishingly hard that you'll want to smash your fist into a wall. It's almost an insult that they now ask you to smile after you've been bested and returned to a checkpoint.

It's fun, though. :p

Teknoman

One big complaint about Rayman DSiware: Why is the music so low compared to the sound effects? You can hear the music of course, but the sounds effects are too loud compared to it.

Top Bottom