• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED update on Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Callibretto said:
wait... why the hell is president of Falcom, asks fans to keep bugging XSeed to bug Falcom so they can work on something? does Xseed has already told Falcom that they're not interested on Trails anymore and Falcom is hoping fans tp pressure XSeed from backing out or something?
How on Earth did you go from that statement to that conclusion? Continued interest just shows Falcom that it could be worthwhile for them to port Second Chapter and The Third to other platforms.

DiscoJer

Callibretto said:
wait... why the hell is president of Falcom, asks fans to keep bugging XSeed to bug Falcom so they can work on something? does Xseed has already told Falcom that they're not interested on Trails anymore and Falcom is hoping fans tp pressure XSeed from backing out or something?

I think Sony need to come up with PSP Classics Retail line for Vita. basically PSP games on Vita card to be played on Vita, while the PSN version is still compatible with PSP and Vita.

Forget the Vita, the carts are going to cost a lot more to make than UMDs so the profit margin for niche games is going to be less. Maybe they can make it up with more sales, but probably not

The other platform in question is probably the PC. Xseed needs to get Falcom to inject their translation for Trails into the PC Version and bring that to Steam. So I would read his statement as bug Xseed, so Xseed with bug Falcom and so Falcom can justify putting programmers on doing that.

PS3 might be another choice. That could sell well in Japan and would be cheaper to make copies of as well (but would personally screw me over, as I don't have a PS3 nor do I want one, since I have nothing to connect it to but a PC monitor, which my PC is hooked up to).

Famassu said:
How on Earth did you go from that statement to that conclusion? Continued interest just shows Falcom that it could be worthwhile for them to port Second Chapter and The Third to other platforms.

I guess I'm just jaded whenever developer/publishers ask fans to do something. I mean, from his statement, falcom still has the intention to expand the series to the west. Xseed has also said that they're still interested to bringing the game to the west. then why the hell do they need fans bugging for them to get talking together and figure something out.

get talking and work something out already.

Famassu

Callibretto said:
I guess I'm just jaded whenever developer/publishers ask fans to do something. I mean, from his statement, falcom still has the intention to expand the series to the west. Xseed has also said that they're still interested to bringing the game to the west. then why the hell do they need fans bugging for them to get talking together and figure something out.

get talking and work something out already.
Falcom is a small company, XSeed is a small company. For even just the localizations XSeed & Falcom need to find some free time together from other projects to make them happen. Porting a game would also need to be made at a time when Falcom is in between other projects. But to make the ports happen, they need to seem like a lucrative business decision. As I already said, showing continued interest & support for a franchise, that makes the decision to port something that much more worthwhile to not only XSeed but Falcom too.

So when (if) we get tits 2 on PSP and it bombs, the odds of getting tits 3 would at that point become null, i guess.

So a question would be, would ending the series on tits 2 feel more satisfying in terms of closure than tits 1?

I was watching videoes of the most recent two. I want those, they have mechs and a green hair girl that looks like Eve from Megazone.

harriet the spy said:
So when (if) we get tits 2 on PSP and it bombs, the odds of getting tits 3 would at that point become null, i guess.

So a question would be, would ending the series on tits 2 feel more satisfying in terms of closure than tits 1?
Well, it would wrap up Estelle & Joshua's story (mostly), but it still would leave a lot of other questions.

But I think it's clear from Falcom's comments, they don't want to end it there in the US and that other platforms are a definite possibility. XSEED and Falcom should be targeting an aggressive multiplat strategy with the main focus on Vita and Steam.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I really wish Japanese devs embraced multiplatform, a PSN port (playable on PS3), XBLA port, and a Steam port of the PC versions would be great for the Legend of Heroes series, at the very least. I am guessing Falcom is too small to handle something like this, but could they contract TOSE or some random Chinese company to do the porting?

I'm not surprised sales were bad, as this is a pretty niche game.

Looking forward to the next chapter in English...

Cross your fingers and your toes!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
djtiesto said:
I really wish Japanese devs embraced multiplatform, a PSN port (playable on PS3), XBLA port, and a Steam port of the PC versions would be great for the Legend of Heroes series, at the very least. I am guessing Falcom is too small to handle something like this, but could they contract TOSE or some random Chinese company to do the porting?
I don't have any doubt they could do the Steam version if some indie devs can do it. Just a matter of getting around to it and XSEED looking into the publishing stuff. That's why I don't have any doubt it's going to happen.

And they got a Chinese company to do a PC port of Zero... if that means anything.

Yuterald

I would like the PC steam route to be a last resort to be honest. I'll take it if there is absolutely no way to get the games released on PSP, PSN, or Vita.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt XSEED would limit the games to a single platform if they have multiple options. But at the same time, if they released both a Steam version and a PSP version of SC I would expect the PSP to have a very limited run. None of the other games are an issue since they can go on PSN.

pje122 said:
Sounds positive... I am hopeful...

Obviously it means we can be angry and despondent towards XSEED and other niche publishers!

Augemitbutter said:
let's positive thinking!

persona2-maya2.png

bh7812

Banned
Yuterald said:
I would like the PC steam route to be a last resort to be honest. I'll take it if there is absolutely no way to get the games released on PSP, PSN, or Vita.

This is the exact same feeling I have. This trilogy of games started out on PSP and I'd like for it to stay that way. I'll gladly take a Vita release at this point and have no problem with that. I loved First Chapter too much to skip the next 2 entirely but if PC only in the end is the ONLY feasible way to get those other two games out, I'll have to take a long hard look at my personal reluctance towards Steam (which is not credit card/money related). If given no choice, I'll buy them that way but would much much rather see either PSP or Vita release.

The technical challenge surrounding SC with the 2 UMD issue is the first time I've ever seen that kind of tech issue to be honest. The only way I'm thinking that can be resolved is by XSeed/Falcom doing surgery on the game code itself. They're going to have to get into the game code, look at how it's set up, and figure out where in the game code is responsible for the UMD swap-outs. Once they do that they're gonna have to look at how the swapping is actually structured within it/what portions of the game trigger it. Finally, they'll have to join the 2 halves of the game together through coding and sew it all back up. Once that's done I'm sure releasing SC will be much easier. That's the only way I'm seeing it happening-regardless of platform.

I really hope they're able to get SC out at the very least-that cliff hanger at the end of First Chapter was unreal and I want to see how it resolves in English. If they can't get the game out they can't get it out but I just wanted to voice my opinion too-that I'd rather PSP or Vita at this point, but if PC only is the only viable option I'll have to seriously consider my personal feelings towards Steam. I'd likely give in and buy it but would still have some thinking to do.

Will remain optimistic and hope for the best over the next several months..either way we look at it the wait on translation's going to be..quite a while judging from SC's size.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If SC is released exclusively on PSP, you can pretty much give up on getting any further games in this series released in the west.

The technical challenge surrounding SC with the 2 UMD issue is the first time I've ever seen that kind of tech issue to be honest. The only way I'm thinking that can be resolved is by XSeed/Falcom doing surgery on the game code itself. They're going to have to get into the game code, look at how it's set up, and figure out where in the game code is responsible for the UMD swap-outs. Once they do that they're gonna have to look at how the swapping is actually structured within it/what portions of the game trigger it. Finally, they'll have to join the 2 halves of the game together through coding and sew it all back up. Once that's done I'm sure releasing SC will be much easier. That's the only way I'm seeing it happening-regardless of platform.
That's exactly why a PSN release won't happen. Both companies are small and very busy, XSEED doesn't have programmers, and that would not be a cheap or easy process to go through and fix all that. I mean, I guess there is an extremely slim chance it could happen, but if it was feasible Falcom would have already done this for JP PSN - SC is the only Kiseki game not on there if I'm not mistaken.

Mutliplatform is not an option anymore, it has to happen if there is any intention of trying to make the game/series a success. The PC versions already exist, and given that the first three games are already ports Vita versions are unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised to see them ported, and I would love for that to happen, but it doesn't seem like a safe expectation. PSP (limited run) + PC does though.

bh7812

Banned
I understand both XSeed and Falcom are very very small companies, so what would need to be done to get a PSN and PSP release of SC to happen is un-realistic. I was just stating more what would have to happen to go that route if they somehow chose PSP and PSN release.

I realize it'll probably have to be either: PSP limited run UMD's plus PC, or PC/PSP limited release/Vita at this point for SC to be a reality in the West. I fully accept that PC will almost certainly have to be part of that equation at this point. I'm okay with it if we have a choice of a few platforms to choose from to purchase it for.

My reluctance to Steam is certainly not in the service itself-I downloaded the client early this year along with the Recettear demo and was impressed. Even I gotta be honest, the potential for niche/indie games like this to meet with success on there is enormous. My thing is I've never really been a PC gamer and haven't really played many PC games. I have always been and probably always be way more comfortable with the consoles and handhelds. I suppose for this game I could make a one time special exception, and invest in a PC game pad controller if I had to. The overall potential of Steam is massive-I just wish they'd be able to get Steam up and running on PS3 and 360, though I understand that'd be a direct conflict with PSN/Live and neither company would be too thrilled with it.

I suppose if this ends up PC only, even if it's the only game I ever buy that way, I'll get it off Steam and make an exception for SC.

I do applaud XSeed for their overall work, thanks to them we've gotten several games here in the West that no other publishers would dare have bothered with so I am grateful to them for that. It's just kind of a very unique situation they'll have to either address, or if they can't they'll say that too I'm sure. Anyway I've written quite a lot just wanted to clarify that I understand it's going to have to be multi-platform which I'll end up ok with in time and where my reluctance to Steam is.

Even more from the Falcom prez about Trails in the US via Siliconera:

Siliconera: I think word of mouth is spreading in the West, but we have a lot of catching up to do.

Falcom: Because the Trails series are such huge games with large amounts of text to translate, although Xseed released the first title it not that easy to release SC and the other games in the series. We would like to continue to work with Xseed and come up with some kind of way to release all of the Trails titles together. Perhaps, Vita would be an option in the future because the PSP market is down right now.

---

Siliconera: I’m sure you know this, but my readers really want to see SC and Third in the West.

Falcom: Yes, I know. We’ll do our best!
More at the source, including some info on Ys Celceta and Falcom's thoughts on new IPs.

Every time this thread got bumped, I always click to see if it's finally the final nail in the coffin while still clinging to small hope for any good news about localization. But I've become so pessimistic that even this news by falcom considering vita port is met by skepticism and merely a lip service by falcom. :-(

It is just lip service. It's obvious Falcom doesn't prioritize growth in the west in their planning. Those statements are about as noncommittal as one can get.

Takao

Banned
Quadrangulum said:
It is just lip service. It's obvious Falcom doesn't prioritize growth in the west in their planning. Those statements are about as noncommittal as one can get.

Well, one of the Trails games that are on PSP, and so far out of XSEED's reach that a US PSP release would be insane is getting ported to Vita.

Gunloc said:
Even more from the Falcom prez about Trails in the US via Siliconera:

Well, someone from Falcom talking about potential Vita ports at least has a bit more potential than empty promises from XSeed.

Eusis

A collection seems kind of crazy to sell here though, given they need to be fully translated. Then again one out of three IS translated, and making it a collection would imply they're not bothering with a full dub that WOULD kill any chance of localization. Probably would help that they could definitely get away with $40, maybe even higher if necessary.

Takao said:
Well, one of the Trails games that are on PSP, and so far out of XSEED's reach that a US PSP release would be insane is getting ported to Vita.

Falcom's not doing that for XSEED or for non-Japanese gamers. If localizing the trilogy becomes feasible because of a hypothetical port to Vita, it'd simply be a (very) happy accident, and it's only going to happen when they think it's opportune to release something like that in Japan. I don't believe they're actually going to "do [their] best" to bring the games elsewhere.

pje122

Callibretto said:
Every time this thread got bumped, I always click to see if it's finally the final nail in the coffin while still clinging to small hope for any good news about localization. But I've become so pessimistic that even this news by falcom considering vita port is met by skepticism and merely a lip service by falcom. :-(
New threads for new news.

androvsky

Oh, that reminds me, I just checked the description on PSN for FF Type-0. I can't read Japanese, but it does appear to list the size of each disc. Is it possible they didn't do anything to accommodate the PSN release and just make players save, quit, and launch the other disc from the XMB? Does SC require disc swaps away from save points?

Aeana

androvsky said:
Oh, that reminds me, I just checked the description on PSN for FF Type-0. I can't read Japanese, but it does appear to list the size of each disc. Is it possible they didn't do anything to accommodate the PSN release and just make players save, quit, and launch the other disc from the XMB? Does SC require disc swaps away from save points?
Correct. It's two separate files, and you have to launch them separately.

SC works differently. Basically, some areas are on disc 1 and some areas are on disc 2. The game will ask you to swap if it needs to load something that isn't on one disc or the other. I do believe there are some areas that are on both discs, which means that you could make a save in one such area and load it on the other disc and continue on fine. Theoretically it should work out just fine, but it could be handled more elegantly which I suppose is why XSEED insists that Falcom needs to do some reprogramming.

androvsky

Aeana said:
Correct. It's two separate files, and you have to launch them separately.

SC works differently. Basically, some areas are on disc 1 and some areas are on disc 2. The game will ask you to swap if it needs to load something that isn't on one disc or the other. I do believe there are some areas that are on both discs, which means that you could make a save in one such area and load it on the other disc and continue on fine. Theoretically it should work out just fine, but it could be handled more elegantly which I suppose is why XSEED insists that Falcom needs to do some reprogramming.

Thanks for verifying that. Honestly though, even the way it worked on UMD sounds a bit... clunky, if maybe a touch nostalgic for me. I mean, I'm old enough to remember playing an SSI Gold Box game on a system with two 360kb floppy drives, so I was swapping the six or so discs pretty often (iirc, I had to swap discs sometimes depending on what monster popped up in random encounters).

Anyway, I don't think they could ask the player to backtrack to a save point so they can swap discs before they enter a new area. But if I'm understanding your explanation right, wouldn't just adding a quicksave where it asks the player to swap discs do the trick?

Aeana

androvsky said:
Thanks for verifying that. Honestly though, even the way it worked on UMD sounds a bit... clunky, if maybe a touch nostalgic for me. I mean, I'm old enough to remember playing an SSI Gold Box game on a system with two 360kb floppy drives, so I was swapping the six or so discs pretty often (iirc, I had to swap discs sometimes depending on what monster popped up in random encounters).

Anyway, I don't think they could ask the player to backtrack to a save point so they can swap discs before they enter a new area. But if I'm understanding your explanation right, wouldn't just adding a quicksave where it asks the player to swap discs do the trick?
Yes, I think that would indeed do the trick.

Sagitario

This series has always confused me.

- Trials in the Sky is the game we got and it comes in 1 UMD (I admit I haven't opened my LE yet). This would be FC [First Chapter].

- SC = Second Chapter. Basically Trials in the Sky 2, right? This one come in 2 UMDs that you have to switch constantly and its localization is proceeding at a really slow pace (if ever).

- And then there is a third [and final] TitS game. Has this one been released already?

- Plus, there is another [different] LoH trilogy coming to PSP (or Vita)?

Is that correct?

Sagitario said:

- Trials in the Sky is the game we got and it comes in 1 UMD (I admit I haven't opened my LE yet). This would be FC [First Chapter].

- SC = Second Chapter. Basically Trials in the Sky 2, right? This one come in 2 UMDs that you have to switch constantly and its localization is proceeding at a really slow pace (if ever).

- And then there is a third [and final] TitS game. Has this one been released already?

Is that correct?
The Trails/Kiseki series is currently five games. Sora no Kiseki FC, Sora no Kiseki SC & Sora no Kiseki The 3rd make up the first trilogy. These are all on PC & PSP and have been released in Japan. They all follow the same set of characters and have a continuing storyline. FC & SC are a directly linked together story, with The 3rd taking place a bit after that main storyline. It fleshes out a lot of the side characters and loose plot points, while introduces some new elements & characters, which leads to...

Zero no Kiseki & the recently released Ao no Kiseki for PSP, which are the fourth and fifth game in the Kiseki series. They take place in the same world as the first three Kiseki games but follow a (mostly) new set of characters. (Ao is a direct sequel to Zero, just as SC was to FC.) There are still on-going plot threads from first trilogy that are explored in these games though. (It's very similar to the mainline Suikoden series in that respect.)

But before all of these games, there were other Legend of Heroes games. The Iseruhasa series and the Gagharv trilogy. These are unrelated to the Kiseki series, and are only linked by the Legend of Heroes branding. (Though some speculate that the Gagharv trilogy is tenuously related to the Kiseki series, but that's debatable.) And to make it even more confusing, the Legend of Heroes series is part of an even larger series known as the Dragon Slayer series. (Which has other sub-series, like Xanadu for example.)

In short; The Kiseki series is a sub-series of Legend of Heroes which is a sub-series of Dragon Slayer. All the Kiseki games are canonically related to each other, but not to the other games of the larger series.

Sagitario

I think I got it. I think...

Dragon Slayer -> Legend of Heroes -> 1. Iseruhasa, 2. Gagharv and 3. Trials/Kiseki

Trials in the Sky / Sora no Kiseki: FC -> SC -> The 3rd.
These are the ones from the XSEED deal.

Zero no Kiseki -> Ao no Kiseki.
New games on the same world/setting of Sora trilogy, they carry plot elements from Sora.

Yeah... got it! Thanks!

Sagitario said:

Is that correct?

To simplify it even further:

You have Trails in the Sky, FC and SC. These tell a continuous story which wraps up in SC with a few dangling sequel hooks.

Trails in the Sky The Third is essentially an "expansion pack", in a similar manner to something like Dragon Age Origins: Awakening. It follows the same characters and gives them a new plot and a new place to run around in, and it also features a ton of flashbacks and expansions on scenes in FC and SC, helping to flesh them out, but playing Third is not absolutely required for understanding the full story. It has not been released in English.

The last two games, Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki (very tentatively translated as "Trails of Zero" and "Trails of Blue" in the press, with no official translation), take place in a country located northeast of the country Trails in the Sky takes place in. Characters and plot threads from Sky appear (particularly in Ao), but they also stand fairly well on their own. Both were released for PSP and Zero is coming to the Vita with a "full voice version"; nearly everyone expects the same to happen to Ao.

You don't need to sweat the other LoH games; they don't hook into Trails at all (outside of a mythology gag or two).

Sagitario said:
I think I got it. I think...

Dragon Slayer -> Legend of Heroes -> 1. Iseruhasa, 2. Gagharv and 3. Trials/Kiseki

Trials in the Sky / Sora no Kiseki: FC -> SC -> The 3rd.
These are the ones from the XSEED deal.

Zero no Kiseki -> Ao no Kiseki.
New games on the same world/setting of Sora trilogy, they carry plot elements from Sora.

Yeah... got it! Thanks!
No problem.

There's a picture of some huge dry eraser board diagram of all the games and sub-series in the Dragon Slayer brand out there on the interweb. It's crazy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did the recent Black Friday price cut of Trails do anything for sales? I know I bought it immediately after seeing it on there.

I think it was the top selling PSP game during the Amazon sale, both the standard and premium editions were hanging around the top 3 the entire time it was on sale. But that doesn't mean much, we're talking about PSP games so it still might not have moved many units even if it was the top seller on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom