• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XsX boot screen/sound revealed, but which is better?

jakinov

From all of the boot screens I've seen or heard, this is the 2nd best by far, only a very, VERY little bit bellow the masterpiece that the PS3-fat intro (pre-3.0)is.

I mean...when a console is booting, is basically initializing every component on it and getting it ready to play a game. The use of the recording of an orchestra, tuning their instruments on "La" previous to the entrance of the conductor is an analogy so on point that it's just sublime: every instrument of the orchestra is getting ready, as every component on the console is.

As a fan of live classical music, the expectation that the tuning creates previous to the interpretation of a piece gives me the chills.

Hearing it now, it honestly just brings me personally back bad memories of how shitty the OS was.

Banned
the thing is... at least it has one. the PS4 and it's boring ass epilepsy warning screen is a real downer, especially since the PS1 has the most iconic boot screen ever made... how the mighty have fallen!

that PS1 boot up is so good I recently started playing a bunch of PS1 games on emulator again and I refuse to turn on the setting to skip the boot up because it's that good that I don't care if I waste a few seconds with every game I start

Last edited:

mango drank

I think Windows ME at least takes the cake for shittiest.
Funnily enough, as much flak as Win ME gets, I had way more trouble with Win 98. The machine I had Win 98 installed on would get crufty within weeks, and usually necessitated a pave and reinstall of the OS every couple of months. Otoh, the laptop I had Win ME on had a bunch of hardware problems, but the OS itself was fine, hilariously.

It actually reminds me of the PS1 startup just a little more subtle, but it even has the 2nd transition. I do like how the Logo reveals itself makes me think of a sunrise.

That was my reaction too. The PS1 intro was the first thing I thought of when I first heard the XSX boot intro. That's definitely a positive in my book (y) .

lachesis

I hated PS1 and PS2 opening - because those are only 2 consoles that I had issues with disc read errors.
Every time I turned it on - I was literally praying.... that it would load. On PS1, I had to turn the whole thing upside down to load some games, and on PS2... that dreaded red cloud screen...

I even ended up getting disc cleaner for PS1 and PS2, never really had to use any other consoles though.

teezzy

Banned
Maybe if I hold down Rb it'll use this instead:

Cant wait to hook a Duke up to my Series X.

*puffs cigar*

Last edited:
Reactions: fse

SirTerry-T

It's weird but despite it being the "black sheep" of the 32 bit console era, The (euro) Saturn startup is the one I most fondly remember.

Breakage

The Dreamcast has the most relaxing boot up:

It's good that Microsoft is bringing back boot animations (if that is indeed the case). They are an iconic part of the console experience.

Moses85

The king.
giphy.gif

Breakage

PS2's red screen made you contemplate life:

I loved Sony's theme of bizarre mixed with futuristic during the PS2's early years.

Orenji Neko

Still my favorite. Sadly my first broke and model 2 is a different picture (Sonic) but they kept the same startup music which is great.

TimFL

Better than the mess that was the XB1X oompf sound that woke up your whole neighborhood if you forgot to mute or heavily tune down the TV volume (rip if your soundbar was on).

B_Boss

Man....for me: NeoGeo, PS1 and PS3. PS3 in particular had a beautiful startup sound. Those strings man....I don’t think I could ever choose between these 3 😭....

Top Bottom