• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX Call of Duty Vanguard Beta Client is Broken

ManaByte

Played Vanguard a bit on PS5 tonight. Ran good at 60fps. I like the patrol game mode a lot.

Decided to try the XSX version. Bad idea. Hard locks the system, crashes at the main screen. Had one time where it ran at 1FPS and then hard crashed.

Who knows if they’ll fix this before the beta weekend ends.

Even tried rebooting the system, still crashes. Doesn’t matter if you have it set to 60 or 120fps. Happens on both.

Crew511A

Franchise needs a break. I enjoy CW for what it is, but the yearly cycle isn't working. I know there are 3 main dev teams, and at least 2 other dev teams assisting, but not all developers are created equal. The questionable gameplay decisions are bad enough, but the technical issues are even worse.

Probably won't happen until the profit drops, but the best thing for this franchise would be to give it a year off. Give the developers time to actually innovate and make a game that will wow us again.

Banned
Played Vanguard a bit on PS5 tonight. Ran good at 60fps. I like the patrol game mode a lot.

Decided to try the XSX version. Bad idea. Hard locks the system, crashes at the main screen. Had one time where it ran at 1FPS and then hard crashed.

Even tried rebooting the system, still crashes. Doesn’t matter if you have it set to 60 or 120fps. Happens on both.

Black Ops hat that shit at launch, I wouldn't bet on this getting completely fixed until launch.

I would recommend not playing CoD until it is confirmed save... the shit Black Ops did with my Series X was scary. at one point I couldn't open my Guide menu anymore and the game still played sound and reacted to my inputs even tho I went back to the home screen...
of course it also crashed the whole console twice and with RT enabled the whole game started flickering and the system became almost unresponsive and I barely could close it.

this was eventually fixed, but it took a good month or two for it to run stable for me.

that shit is scary, and I honestly wouldn't trust playing this... all it takes is a hard crash while the system downloads something and it might damage your SSD

baphomet

Seems like the PC is broken too. Both PC and Xbox have a Packet Burst bug that makes it unplayable. If you can get in a game it’ll run at 1fps and eventually crash.

The PS5, the platform with the marketing deal, doesn’t have this problem.
Runs fine on PC. Been playing all day with not a single bug to speak of

matty3092

Black Ops hat that shit at launch, I wouldn't bet on this getting completely fixed until launch.

I would recommend not playing CoD until it is confirmed save... the shit Black Ops did with my Series X was scary. at one point I couldn't open my Guide menu anymore and the game still played sound and reacted to my inputs even tho I went back to the home screen...
of course it also crashed the whole console twice and with RT enabled the whole game started flickering and the system became almost unresponsive and I barely could close it.

this was eventually fixed, but it took a good month or two for it to run stable for me.

that shit is scary, and I honestly wouldn't trust playing this... all it takes is a hard crash while the system downloads something and it might damage your SSD
Cold war was crashing constantly for me for 6 months after launch eventually they fixed it but now when I play outbreak there's a high chance it'll crash on loading the next map lol

//DEVIL//

Here is the funny thing. Couldn’t even find the beta on Xbox . Just asks me to preorder the game. Any friggin Canadian direct link ?

jaysius

Banned
Here is the funny thing. Couldn’t even find the beta on Xbox . Just asks me to preorder the game. Any friggin Canadian direct link ?
The open beta doesn’t start until tomorrow, the beta now is for pre-orders check back around 1pm EST when the real open beta starts tomorrow.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All this shit I'm reading about Vanguard, yikes. Cant wait to see for myself in the open beta on the weekend on Series X.

Skimming a JackFrags 2 hour MP video it look fine to me. The TTK in the game is insanely low and the recoil is high making long distance killing tough... the way it should be. Nobody should be killing people from across the map with an MP40. Other guns had shitty recoil too.

It's still weird to see high tech scopes on old guns though.

His PC gameplay.

Last edited:

TheMan

Btw, how big is the game reall

tangential, but how big is instal size on ps5? PSN says 9gb which I don’t believe for a second

Shmunter

Yes and the breakable doors/walls aren't solid and look like they're artifacting.
Actually, noticing all sorts of crazy flickering. Hope it’s the game and not my recent ssd install, lol

Edit: no issues with MW or Cold War, so the Vanguard beta is trash

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Three

Cold war was crashing constantly for me for 6 months after launch eventually they fixed it but now when I play outbreak there's a high chance it'll crash on loading the next map lol
I got a refund because if you ever played splitscreen. Without fail it would 100% of the time crash.

Rac3r

I like it more than Cold War but does anyone think the graphics look like absolute shit. Looks way worse than both Cold War and MW 2019 imo

wipeout364

Played the beta last night, didn’t really enjoy what I played. The game felt weightless and maps I played were not great. The game doesn’t look that good. I might be biased as the cold war is one of my favorite settings and WW2 just feels so boring. Playing on series X. I hope they can tighten things up by November as I pre ordered the game.,

My expectations were low as WW2 is my least favorite COD since Ghosts.

DonJorginho

Banned
This game is absolutely awful, shoddy maps, horrible feeling gunplay, a real static nature to matches, the "new destructive environments" are just wooden planks over pre-existing doors and vents, and the matchmaking issues are obscene.

I haven't fully enjoyed a COD since funnily enough Ghosts, despite it's flaws I enjoyed it quite a fair bit, Modern Warfare was also fun but I got bored quickly.

Maybe I'm just growing out of COD Games.

Shmunter

Fyi, artifacting on PS5 seems to be a bug. Rebooted the game and everything was solid. Only the destructible bits seems to flicker in the distance with some kind of LOD management, I’m sure it will be fixed

Last edited:
Considering it's on the newer Modern Warfare engine, I am surprised how rough the gunplay felt. MW2019 is probably one of my favourite CoD's ever. This just seems bad. Maybe it's just rubbing me the wrong way that WW2 is back on the menu.

Though I can't say I am surprised it's got issues given all the whispers of what a troubled development cycle this game has been subject to.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Delay incoming?
Probably intended. Sony plays for the better version

Wouldn't surprise me if Activision cares less about the other versions since Sony pays for all that exclusivity crap and all that.

Considering it's on the newer Modern Warfare engine, I am surprised how rough the gunplay felt. MW2019 is probably one of my favourite CoD's ever. This just seems bad. Maybe it's just rubbing me the wrong way that WW2 is back on the menu.

Though I can't say I am surprised it's got issues given all the whispers of what a troubled development cycle this game has been subject to.

Agreed. MW2019 was the peak of CoD and the reason I quit since. Tired of starting over, plus they made the perfect game, and chose to make garbage sequels instead of keep expanding mw2019

Last edited:
Agreed. MW2019 was the peak of CoD and the reason I quit since. Tired of starting over, plus they made the perfect game, and chose to make garbage sequels instead of keep expanding mw2019
Let's hope the rumours are true and that IW can knock it out of the park with the sequel. They really had something special with the MW reboot and lets face it CoD has always been better in a modern setting.

HTK

Banned
Played it last night for like 3-4 hours on PlayStation 5 at 120hz. I haven't had any major issues outside of few friends being disconnected from the party and few artifacts here and there.

I played Search and Destroy 99.9% of the time and enjoyed myself, graphics aren't anything special but they are much cleaner than before. Visibility is still an issue but much better than MW2019. Obviously there is a sound bug which really hinders the experience.

I haven't pre-ordered yet but I'm swaying towards it, I'll wait till next final weekend beta to make the call.

Justin9mm

Played the PS5 beta, its like im playing the same game from 10 years ago. Graphics look like a ps4 game, the audio is awful. Seriously dont know how this games sells so much.
It's done on the same engine as Modern Warfare 2019 and they sre not the same. On Vanguard the audio is fucked and graphics do look bad, it plays like crap, no feeling or punch to the weapons. I still play MW 2019 so I loaded it straight up after to compare and Vanguard is a massive downgrade. Not all COD games are and feel the same.

Franchise needs a break. I enjoy CW for what it is, but the yearly cycle isn't working. I know there are 3 main dev teams, and at least 2 other dev teams assisting, but not all developers are created equal. The questionable gameplay decisions are bad enough, but the technical issues are even worse.

Probably won't happen until the profit drops, but the best thing for this franchise would be to give it a year off. Give the developers time to actually innovate and make a game that will wow us again.

The "worst" COD was Ghosts and it still sold more than Modern Warfare 1. Activision made 1 BILLION in sales on first day of Ghosts. The franchise will never go on a break, just like Nintendo will never have premium hardware because people will buy it anyway. I actually applaud Activision for this because its that 1% club when a franchise becomes as massive as this.

Only other COD i think had troubled development was BLOPS 4. In my opinion, they all have more than enough time but what I think screws them over is sudden scrap or change in direction from the higher ups if they aren't satisfied. No way in hell can anyone convince me BLOPS 4 was planned as a BR-only mode without a campaign. For sure they got shafted in the very end, couldnt fix it on time and took the L. And it STILL sold more than BLOSP 3 lol.

Dibils2k

its pretty expected that beta will be most polished on the primary dev console

although this seems way too broken

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Played it last night for like 3-4 hours on PlayStation 5 at 120hz. I haven't had any major issues outside of few friends being disconnected from the party and few artifacts here and there.

I played Search and Destroy 99.9% of the time and enjoyed myself, graphics aren't anything special but they are much cleaner than before. Visibility is still an issue but much better than MW2019. Obviously there is a sound bug which really hinders the experience.

I haven't pre-ordered yet but I'm swaying towards it, I'll wait till next final weekend beta to make the call.
I loaded up MW 2019 straight after playing Vanguard for a few hours and Vanguard is a massive downgrade. I had high hopes being the same engine but comparing the two are chalk and cheese. The weapons in Vanguard have hardly any feeling or punch.. The audio issue doesn't help but it's crap! I had so much more fun playing MW straight after Vanguard and realised I'd be wasting my money buying Vanguard just to have a change of scenery, no thanks.

bighugeguns

Runs fine on my Series S, should have bought the superior console. 😎

Marvel

could never

Sledgehammer games just feel off to me. They couldn't even get Vanguard right and that's on IW's new engine.

Happy to wait for MW2, first time I've skipped a cod.

Shmunter

I loaded up MW 2019 straight after playing Vanguard for a few hours and Vanguard is a massive downgrade. I had high hopes being the same engine but comparing the two are chalk and cheese. The weapons in Vanguard have hardly any feeling or punch.. The audio issue doesn't help but it's crap! I had so much more fun playing MW straight after Vanguard and realised I'd be wasting my money buying Vanguard just to have a change of scenery, no thanks.
The pacific map looks quite excellent tho. With the wind, rain, debris blowing. Quite cinematic. Haven’t figured out the games flow as yet.

But the duos is as good as it was in the previous beta. Great mode.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I think that's fine. For me MW 2019 was by far the worst CoD multiplayer constructed in 20 years.

MW2019
- Terrible Map layout design
- Gameplay heavily catered to camping/slow playstyle
- Spawn system has no flow, very unpredictable
- Footstep sounds were too loud, again contributing to people not to move around
- TTK was super low, again punishing people that actually move around, and again contributing to slow ass gameplay, low skill ceiling
- Visibility is awful
- Introduced annoying ass doors and mounting system, again mounting system slowed the game down as people would mount and sit there
- Weapon Balance was always broken
on and on and on

Only thing I enjoyed about MW2019 was that it was Modern. Now that CoDs are adopting the MW2019 engine and this new philosophy I will wait patiently to decide to buy them. I'm really hoping Halo and Battlefield deliver as I'm getting tired of CoDs since MW2019.

EDIT: Without Warzone, MW2019 was a DOA type of CoD for multiplayer.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Runs fine on my Series S, should have bought the superior console. 😎
I have both.

Flirty Flirting GIF

Sledgehammer games just feel off to me. They couldn't even get Vanguard right and that's on IW's new engine.

Happy to wait for MW2, first time I've skipped a cod.
Hell yeah brother. We'll just reap the benefits of a new Warzone instead. Even if it has WW2 guns with laser sights.

Top Bottom