• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xydonia: made with love, passion and interstellar fire.

PantsuJo

[UPDATE]CLOSER TO THE OSX/LINUX PORT AND A NEW GAMEPLAY FEATURES, check here!

[UPDATE]FUNDED, FIRST GOAL REACHED (4 days before the end of campaign!), THANKS TO ALL THE BACKERS!

[UPDATE]A new post (on Imgur) from Xydonia team! Vote it if you like! Here!

[UPDATE]NEW UPDATE, XYDONIA x STARR MAZER CROSSOVER, link here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breakingbytesgames/xydonia-action-packed-japanese-inspired-retro-shmu/posts/1633902

[UPDATE]NEW UPDATE, A MESSAGE FROM SHINJI HOSOE (Composer), link here: https://youtu.be/MZYumKuPxSQ

[UPDATE]NEW UPDATE, STAGE SELECT SCREEN, here!

[UPDATE]NEW DEMO RELEASED, download HERE, details on the end of thread!

[UPDATE]PHYSICAL VERSION MOCKUP PUBLISHED ON KS, check the end of the thread!

[UPDATE]XYDONIA is approved on Greenlight!

[UPDATE]XYDONIA IS ON KICKSTARTER! (With a BIG surprise!) Check the the end of this thread!

[UPDATE] ONLY FEW HOURS FOR KICKSTARTER, plus an awesome Arcade-like flyer released!(check end of this thread!)

[UPDATE] It's on GREENLIGHT

Xydonia is just arrived on Steam Greenlight. Let's show our support, GAF!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693432023&searchtext=xydonia

------

Hey GAF, I would write here about a gem ready to be released. It seems that it has attracted less attention than it deserved, even on Shmups-related thread here on GAF.
Xydonia
http://breakingbytes.tumblr.com/xydonia_en (in this page you can find an early alpha version)

PweG8Jx.png

The famous forum "Shump-System11" seems to have appreciated this amazing work. I was thinking that is time to help these guys with the support of GAF-shmup players.

Main features are:
  • Old-school 16-bit arcade style 2D graphics, faithful to the technical specs of the time (similar to Neo Geo/mid-‘90s titles)
  • Music and sound effects created by emulating the arcade Yamaha YM2151+SegaPCM configuration (FM synthesis + samples), the "big brother" of the YM2612 (SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis audio configuration)
  • 4:3 aspect ratio with optional, customizable CRT emulation shader + border overlay for widescreen monitors
  • A varied roster of characters, each with his or her own unique play style
  • Easy to learn, hard to master scoring/ranking system
  • Two-player Co-op
  • Dynamic stage progression, multiple paths and endings
  • Playthrough customization, with tons of hidden weapons and characters
  • "Scavenging" system, which will encourage players to refine their skills to maximize their rewards
For now only Steam but if the game will have success console releases will be sure.

It feels like a Genesis plus NeoGeo shmup and the alpha was incredible well made. The CRT filter is so fucking cool and well used here.
The entire game (graphics, audio, musics, etc) required a lot of work and finally it seems ready for Kickstarter.
If you like this game just supports it on Kickstarter on June 27 and help now the game to reach its "social" reach share on Thunderclap here: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/43512-xydonia?locale=en

rLcOIPE.gif

AVh11AE.gif

Eridani

Thanks for posting this. I always liked horizontal shmups and after playing the alpha this looks really cool, so I'm looking forward to seeing more. The CRT filter the game uses looks amazing and I liked what I heard of the music. The only part I wasn't impressed with was was the boss fight, which seemed a bit basic, but since it's just an early alpha game that's really not much of a problem.

Hopefully they won't have any trouble clearing Greenlight/Kickstarter, since I really want to play the full game now.

Momentary

Banned
Yeah, I'll be there day one to show support. Been eyeing this one for months. Seeing this resurgence of shooters is so awesome

All these high quality shmup coming from small devs:

Xydonia
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Final Boss

There is even SKYCURSER which is a new cabinet release. Hopefully that one sees a console/PC release after its arcade run.

PantsuJo

Yeah, I'll be there day one to show support. Been eyeing this one for months. Seeing this resurgence of shooters is so awesome

All these high quality shmup coming from small devs:

Xydonia
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Final Boss

There is even SKYCURSER which is a new cabinet release. Hopefully that one sees a console/PC release after its arcade run.

Indeed. This is really a golden age for shmups on PC :)

@MUWANdo

Banned
I played the alpha and didn't enjoy sitting through long stretches of nothingness while NPCs talked to you but it was otherwise solid and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Kickstarter.

PantsuJo

I played the alpha and didn't enjoy sitting through long stretches of nothingness while NPCs talked to you but it was otherwise solid and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Kickstarter.
The alpha is (very) old (September); the team confirmed that a lot of dialogues were removed, made optional or moved to the end of the stages only.

If you have questions try to contact the devs (via Tumblr or the System11 forum), they are cool guys and open to suggestions! ^^

mabec

Looks fantastic. Any option to remove the scanlines? Iam sure it makes things looks sexy like retro but i personally would love to play this without it.

And yes, Neo Geo port, please.

PantsuJo

XYDONIA IS ON KICKSTARTER with a surprise!

From the page:
"We teamed up with Scarlet Moon Productions in order to have some authentic videogame music legends compose original tracks for the game!

If XYDONIA gets funded, Shinji Hosoe and Keishi Yonao's tracks will be automatically part of the soundtrack!

And that's not all, if we break through the base funding and reach the proper stretch goal, Ayako Saso and Yousuke Yasui will join the fray!"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breakingbytesgames/xydonia-action-packed-japanese-inspired-retro-shmu?ref=nav_search

shaowebb

Gavc1a7.gif

7u1oTke.gif

I1SN9gJ.gif

Holy shit. Backing this thing. That looks amazing. Equip 3 different weapons at the same time, a passive assist character, and multiple paths?

My lord this sounds like it could be one of the best shmups I've played.

Getting the early bird special. It looks special, to say the least, and at the very worst it's gonna provide a new soundtrack featuring Keishi Yonao's FM-synth magic.

shaowebb

Getting the early bird special. It looks special, to say the least, and at the very worst it's gonna provide a new soundtrack featuring Keishi Yonao's FM-synth magic.

I know right? That alone would make me back something but just look at that gameplay and list of mechanics. This is like everything awesome bout the genre thrown into a stylish 90's neo geo art packaging. I am super eager to play this one.

PantsuJo

The team is working really hard to build the game, I'm glad to see such interest here on GAF, thanks guys.
I personally know the devs and they're huge 90s-shmups fans

shaowebb

Getting close to half way on that goal and still 20 days left. Keep pushing this folks. Hopefully it pulls through and gets over the hump of kickstarter. Game shows so much damned promise.

PantsuJo

Getting close to half way on that goal and still 20 days left. Keep pushing this folks. Hopefully it pulls through and gets over the hump of kickstarter. Game shows so much damned promise.
I hope the same ^^
Also, the game was approved on Greenlight!

Edit: They just added the PS Vita goal. Difficult to reach but there's still 28 days to go :)

PantsuJo

NEW DEMO RELEASED with tons of updates and contents!

You can download it from GameJolt link here: XydoniaDemo_V2

From official KS page:

"Here's what we included in this demo:
  • Three playable characters (Blade / Bull / Yoko)
  • Two stages (00 and 1B)
  • Boss encounters for both stages (WIP)
  • The new 3-weapon system
  • A taste of the new scoring/medal/ranking system
  • Improved assets and interface
  • Full YM2151+Sega PCM soundtrack

Being an alpha, it's still a bit rough around the edges and some bugs could be encountered, however it should give you an idea of how the game has progressed until now and keep you busy for a while!

You can reset the game by pressing R, if anything weird happens!

Let's see who gets the highest score!"

PantsuJo

Update from KS page of Xydonia, they just posted some details of the "star map" (stage select screen)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breakingbytesgames/xydonia-action-packed-japanese-inspired-retro-shmu/posts/1624041

"CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY

To reach planet Xydonia, you must explore every nook and cranny of the galaxy, as any clue on its coordinates could be hidden anywhere!

There's also the fact that you just can, so why not?

Your adventure will begin with a classic space walk, but will lead to who knows where!

WI99Vig.gif

Everytime you get to a GAME OVER screen, the game will show you a quick recap of your extraordinary adventure.

The same screen will be used for the Stage Select mode, where you'll be able to train on single stage runs!

You won't be able to visit every stage in a single playthrough obviously, so restarting the game multiple times to find new routes, using different characters, will be highly encouraged!

MYSTERY AWAITS

The Star Map may give you hints on finding hidden stuff through your exploration. Adjacent stages will be visible when reaching certain points of the map, and other weird manifestations could appear...

dZ2JxqI.gif

Did we mention time before?.

Whatever, it sure doesn't have anything to do with this stuff.

Right?"

PantsuJo

A new update from Xydonia KS page, a message from Shinji Hosoe !!

"A MESSAGE FROM GUEST STAR COMPOSER SHINJI HOSOE
XYDONIA & MEGATEN JOIN FORCES

Remember all those days and quarters spent shmuppin' on Namco's Dragon Spirit and Dragon Saber? WE CERTAINLY DO!

And what about those adrenaline-pumping tunes that kept you going stage after stage? Be it unnecessarily extreme drifting in Ridge Racer or solving mysteries in the Zero Escape saga, there's one guy we can thank for that: Mr. Shinji Hosoe!

Although being super busy, Hosoe-sama wanted to share his excitement for being able to work on XYDONIA's soundtrack and here's proof!"
Link:
https://youtu.be/MZYumKuPxSQ

PantsuJo

New big update from Xydonia KS page! A crossover with STARR MAZER !
Link here!

"TRANSMISSION: ANOMALY DETECTED, A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION!

NOT JUST ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL

Team X-BURST is always busy doing their pirate stuff while following their main mission: getting their hands on planet Xydonia's coordinates.

But something's amiss... a ship that's nowhere to be found in their database just flew right in front of them, without even giving a signal!

Harrison Blade, being particularly susceptible to flight rules violators (he was in the army after all!), quickly breaks formation and engages in pursuit of the unidentified vessel, while hacking into its radio frequency and giving its pilot a not-so-friendly greeting.

The unknown pilot quickly responds.

"Hey man, gimme a break! I just got spit out of a wormhole!"

And then goes on explaining what brought him to this part of the universe and why. He goes by the name of Brick M. Stonewood, and is determined to unlock the secrets of his past. Could planet Xydonia hold the key?

There's only one way to find out...

XYDONIA X STARR MAZER CROSSOVER! YAY!

gDaRfn5.gif

We're happy to announce that Brick, Starr Mazer's protagonist, will be part of XYDONIA's playable character roster along with his ship, the Starr Wolf[!/B]

He'll get his own custom gameplay mechanics, option system, story and ending, like any other character in the game!

Vf6NAP1.gif

This also means that Starr Mazer will get some funky XYDONIA stuff going on! Stay tuned for more info and make sure you check them out too!

PantsuJo

Xydonia reaches its first goal!!!

It's over 20k, 4 days before the end of campaign!

To celebrate the event they just released a cool artwork of Yoko, made from the italian artist Giulia Carli.

HhSB6Xd.jpg

PantsuJo

Only 21 hours to the end of the campaign and it's close to the OS X/Linux port!

And a new update (last, I suppose) from KS page:

"RUKA'S SCRAPYARD ~ SHOP 'TILL YOU DROP

THE CLOCK'S TICKING!

We just entered the last 24 hours of this campaign, but we still have something new for you!
Remember that there's still time to hit those stretch goals, with the Mac/Linux port really close!

GOT SOME RARE THINGS ON SALE, STRANGER!
The good ol' habit of utterly destroying huge, mechanical battleships and then grabbing whatever's still salvageable wouldn't be the same if you couldn't spend it all!

Welcome to Ruka's scrapyard, where you can exchange the scrap you collected from defeated bosses for various equipment and ship modifications!

wgu13Yd.gif

She's an old acquaintance of team X-BURST who helped them build and upgrade their ships over the course of their career.

But nothing is free, even for old friends, so don't you dare to show your face around her workshop if you're broke!

XYDONIA will always keep a challenging and rewarding gameplay without encouraging grinding or giving too much advantage via unlockable stuff, so everything will be balanced to represent an alternative instead of a simple upgrade over the starting weapons.

If you're a bad enough dude, you'll be able to get the highest score even with the default weaponry, but you might also find some that work better for you!"

Finally, one last artwork from Davide Cilloni!

5uwBlqt.jpg

PantsuJo

Small update, it seems that devs are ready for show new game features!

Link here!

Xydonia was also in a lot of gaming related events in Italy lately, such as Games Week (Milan) and other big ones and, trust me, it shines on a CRT monitor :D

1Ee1IsT.jpg

Top Bottom