• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

xyzzy

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
You go to the site. You click on 'Download games'. You follow the instructions.

Then, most probably you say things like 'WTF?' and 'Where are the graphics?' and curse me for wasting your bandwidth. But anyone who loved real adventure games way back then is probably already downloading...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
:lol

god ole collosal cave adventure. "Your lamp is out of batteries. You stumble into a hole and die. Play again?"

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Oh man. Everyone should be forced to play these.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
chase said:
Spider and Web has my favorite puzzle ever in a game, text-only or not.

I really want Assassin's Creed to be like Spider and wEb if that makes any sense

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
duckroll said:
10 replies and someone already mentioned a next-gen game. No wonder adventure games are doomed. :/

hey, i take offense, next gen games could learn a lot from infocom, and even more where these guys are taking it.

<-- Proud owner of Twisty little Passages

So not to derail:

Plotkin in this time? Cadre?

bard

iapetus said:
But anyone who loved real adventure games way back then is probably already downloading...
And my existence is finally justified. I used to LIVE at ftp.gmd.de... And now I'm downloading every game on that page. Firing up WinFrotz...

xir said:
hey, i take offense, next gen games could learn a lot from infocom, and even more where these guys are taking it.

Actually, the narrative structure of the original Prince of Persia is VERY similar to Spider and Web, though this isn't immediately apparently until close to the end. So it's possible Assassin's Creed will take notes.

My favorite modern IF puzzle is probably the crystal maze in Photopia and its 3-letter solution, though I really enjoyed Lock and Key as the ultimate evolution of the fair--yet soul-destroying--Babelfish megapuzzle.

beat

I thought the Babelfish puzzle required you to reload from an earlier save point since
the vending machine ran out of Babelfish just when you finally found out about the last obstacle.
Ah, I wish I'd managed to handle the Bureaucracy game, which felt like even more evilness.

Lock and Key was hellacious, though. And Photopia, though quite linear and not especially challenging, is really an amazing work; I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom