• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo: The Wrap: Glenn Beck Attacks Tomi Lahren on Twitter: ‘Wait, Libertarian Views?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Note: Tomi Lahren works for The Blaze, the website that Glenn Beck founded.

Until Friday’s appearance on “The View,” nobody would have ever accused Lahren for not being conservative enough. She is an outspoken Trump supporter who often refers to liberals as “snowflakes” while mocking them in viral videos.

“I’m pro-choice and here is why,” Lahren said on “The View. “I am someone that loves the Constitution, I am someone that is for limited government, so I can’t sit here and be a hypocrite and say I’m for limited government but I think the government should decide what women do with their bodies. Stay out of my guns, and you can stay out of my body as well.”

The comments received negative replies on Twitter from The Blaze reporters like Kaitlyn Schallhorn, who said that “Even Hillary Clinton didn’t call pro-life conservatives hypocrites.”

CUfzfKl.png

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/glenn-beck-attacks-tomi-lahren-twitter-wait-libertarian-131536934.html
https://twitter.com/glennbeck/status/843677593719242752

Vyer

Being pro choice seems like a sure fire way to kill her career with the batshit extreme conservatives that consume her usual crap

NewFresh

Considering the Bible to abortion link is strenuous enough, when did this ideology stick?

But that was not the case in the 1930s and 1940s, when birth control gained religious support from Protestant and Jewish leaders. In 1936, a federal appellate court removed contraception from the obscenity category....

By the late 1960s, Richard Nixon was pushing Congress to increase federal funding for family planning. In 1970, he signed Title X into law. The bill provided federal government funds for family planning services. A year later, Nixon reversed his position on Title X, after his advisers suggested he could divide the Democratic Party by taking a strong stand against abortion services. (Though abortion was illegal at the time, some restrictions had been lifted and it could be performed, in some cases, on military bases.)

"He begins talking about the sanctity of human life, and he then opposes Title X funding as part of his campaign to court Catholic voters when he runs for re-election," says Lepore.

http://www.npr.org/2011/11/09/142097521/how-birth-control-and-abortion-became-politicized

Hindl

Tomi about to learn hard and fast that if you go against the party line you're getting thrown out. And especially since it's about abortion, there's no way the base will forget about that

Zen Aku

Ironically, for someone who has railed against the left for being "over-sensitive snowflakes", she's about to she how fragile the far right really are.
Projector.Jpeg

Am I right?

The sad thing is that if she was more liberal and have come out believing that she was pro-life. People would more likely be "Alright, well you know what? That fine. You got your own belief and life is important. But we got ours too."

But no, she's way too far right on most issues and her base is nowhere near as accepting. You're either on the edge of that right side or you're "one of them".

Never quite understood why abortion is a left v right issue.

Abortion, as an issue, basically made our contemporary American left vs. right.

*edit*

To expand on this, what I mean is two things:

1) Abortion is basically the one major issue that has been consistent for 50 years. Virtually every other major issue has waxed and waned with both political ideologies over that time, yet the right has consistently been against issues expanding abortions and the left has consistently been for issues expanding abortion.

2) The left and the right have always existed, of course, but Abortion as an issue was the opening salvo of "the culture war," where left and right really codified around cultural issues. Cultural issues are much more entrenched and much more likely to suck people into other issues like the event horizon of a black hole.

2b) Because of #2, it's an issue that is consistent vertically through left and right, which is different from many other issues. A low-income conservative may be quietly/privately in favor of big progressive issues like expanding health care availability or Prescription drug programs under medicaid, which a high-income conservative might be vocally against, yet all are probably vocally consistent on abortion. Likewise, a low-income liberal may be vocally in favor of higher taxes for the wealthy, while a high-income liberal might not be vocally in favor of them or privately against, though they're probably all vocally consistent on abortion.

TyrantII

Because the GOP needs the evangelical base to win. Without it they're a minority party in the 30-40% range. Evangelicals vote upwards of 90% too, so they're the most reliable voters in the US.

SerTapTap

Not often that I agree with Glenn Beck, but thank fuck for him saying this. I'm so sick of these assholes claiming to be "libertarian" because they don't openly hate gays or whatever singular "socially liberal" concept they add to their repertoire to pretend not to be hardcore authoritarian conservative.

And like most republicans they're not remotely fiscally conservative either.

Because the GOP needs the evangelical base to win. Without it they're a minority party in the 30-40% range. Evangelicals vote upwards of 90% too, so they're the most reliable voters in the US.

Yeah, they're very committed to robbing women of their right to choose. (and for Planned Parenthood to even exist)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

If you care about abortion, it is a moral prior - preventing the mass death of innocent children is the number one issue in your politics. Nothing else comes close in scale. You will work with anyone who can help you achieve that objective; you're literally voting to end the state-sanctioned murder of hundreds of thousands of innocents.

If you want to advance the powers of big moneyed interests and corporations, you'll find you are normally in a minority - there's more workers than there are business owners. So you have to find powerful and emotive issues that don't influence your key priorities either way, and ally with them. Abortion doesn't really affect your profit line either way; at worst it keeps labour supply lower in the long-run but that's twenty years down the line and marginal in impact. So if you offer to work with anti-abortion people on the abortion stuff, they'll be desperate to accept because of how important that issue is to them, and they'll vote with you on the corporate stuff you want.

Hence, cut-the-taxes people reaching out to the anti-abortion people, and the anti-abortion people responding. The deliberate cultivation of the religious vote is one of the strongest factors in the success of the right in America.

Future

I'll never understand how is it that women exist that don't say what she just said. Why would you want a government entity to control whether or not you have abortions? What woman wouldn't want the choice?

If you are an old woman....maybe. Like a pain in the ass in law, she may want to assert her views onto others about things that no longer apply to herself since she is too old to have babies. But young women....why would you ever be anything but pro choice? Its just baffling to me

SerTapTap

I'll never understand how is it that women exist that don't say what she just said. Why would you want a government entity to control whether or not you have abortions? What woman wouldn't want the choice?

If you are an old woman....maybe. Like a pain in the ass in law, she may want to assert her views onto others about things that no longer apply to herself since she is too old to have babies. But young women....why would you ever be anything but pro choice? Its just baffling to me

It's all about religion. They believe life starts at conception, won't accept any scientific evidence to the contrary, and basically view it as straight up murder at any point beyond the sperm impacting the egg.

Me neither, though I have guesses like anyone else. Anyone have a book or documentary recommendation that gets deep into the history?

I'm assuming it has something to do with the Nixon and Reagan fully turning Republicans evangelical, and maybe even some troublesome ties to the Southern Strategy / anti-communism era politics?

Edit:

Gallup notes that abortion attitudes are shifting. Gallup declared in May 2010 that more Americans identifying as "pro-life" is "the new normal", while also noting that there had been no increase in opposition to abortion. It suggested that political polarization may have prompted more Republicans to call themselves "pro-life".[105]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States

Not finding out much here, but this stat is interesting.

PixelatedBookake

There's no way abortion has never come up on Tomi's show. Is this her changing her mind about it, or has she always felt this way and the topic has never came up?

Blader

Not to defend Tomi Lahren on anything, but I don't really see what Beck is getting at here. If her position is that she has moderate, conservative, and libertarian views -- i.e., that libertarian views do not comprise 100 percent of her worldview -- then it's not intellectually dishonest to say you support a president and/or policies that are decidedly un-libertarian.

Pau

I'm inclined to think that most of those women fall into the camp that believes that their abortion is different and justifiable. Just not anyone else's.

Bladenic

There's no way abortion has never come up on Tomi's show. Is this her changing her mind about it, or has she always felt this way and the topic has never came up?

She had some interview last year where she said she didn't care about abortion and gay marriage i.e. Didn't care if it was legal as she was not opposed. But I also recall seeing a few videos of hers against Planned Parenthood being some evil corporation that rips almost grown babies out of women and sells their organs or something.

I wonder if that graphic will get upgraded when religious dudes figure out the women have also been providing for and protecting the family all along without their permission.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So apparently she got suspended from theblaze lol

Seems like she might be trying to pivot. Good luck with that considering all the stupid things she's said.

Jonnax

So apparently she got suspended from theblaze lol

Seems like she might be trying to pivot. Good luck with that considering all the stupid things she's said.

Well when the last deplorable tried to pivot they became President of the United States. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom