• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 doesn't allow share button use - Help change SEGA's mind for West release

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Tales of Zestiria did this too, even though it also had a PC version without any restrictions of the sort.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Tales of Zestiria did this too, even though it also had a PC version without any restrictions of the sort.

Well they disabled Steam's built in streaming which I don't think many people would use over Twitch, Hitbox, Youtube Gaming, etc...

The 60FPS mod for it offers an option to re-enable if wanted.

None of the PS4 Yakuza games allow this.
At least they could patch the game to allow story streaming after a year of release or something if they're that afraid of spoilers -____-

Risette

A Good Citizen
Does it completely block screenshots or just uploading them? One game I have, Senran Kagura Estival Versus, had both streaming and screenshots blocked, but you could take screenshots then take a screenshot of the screenshot to upload them.

Aenima

None of the PS4 Yakuza games allow this.
At least they could patch the game to allow story streaming after a year of release or something if they're that afraid of spoilers -____-

You can stream it from a PS4. I have seen it. But was probably the Adventure premium mode, that gets available after u beat the game, and dont have story quests, just secondary quests, minigames, etc.
What i saw being streamed was never story parts so i guess the guy was playing the Adventure Premium Mode.

Does it completely block screenshots or just uploading them? One game I have, Senran Kagura Estival Versus, had both streaming and screenshots blocked, but you could take screenshots then take a screenshot of the screenshot to upload them.

It blocks you completely I think.
The game unlocks adventure mode after beating the game where it lets you stream and take screenshots tho.

Thanks I was trying to remember the game that did this recently.

It's such a dumb decision and I can't think of any locigal reason why it exists. Screenshots and video are going to be put on the internet anyway. This seems to be a Japanese developer only thing.

v1lla21

The PS4 games aren't translated into English, right? I want to play them but I don't want to be lost due to them being in Japanese.

Tohsaka

The PS4 games aren't translated into English, right? I want to play them but I don't want to be lost due to them being in Japanese.

Not yet. We're getting 0 in English, Ishin is likely never coming and hopefully we will get Kiwami/6 if 0 does well.

which likely means this is hopeless.

Which is what a lot of people thought about the actual games releasing in the West again.

I'm not expecting a total removal of the block, but if people showed they wanted something done maybe they'd open up more of the game for capture in Premium mode. Y'know, if it isn't licensing or VA/actor issues which are the cause of the block.

BosSin

This functionality is likely because Yakuza has a bunch of real life branded products in the game. Which means there is no chance in hell a petition will change anything.

Tohsaka

You think I'd have a hard time playing ishin? I can wait for 0 but I really want to try ishin.

Probably depends on how much Japanese you know, or if you don't mind using walkthroughs. This site has translations for pretty much everything from what I've seen. I may import the game, since I really want to play it as well.

Which is what a lot of people thought about the actual games releasing in the West again.

I'm not expecting a total removal of the block, but if people showed they wanted something done maybe they'd open up more of the game for capture in Premium mode. Y'know, if it isn't licensing or VA/actor issues which are the cause of the block.
but again, if it is anything like that, why would sega allow playthroughs of the game to exist on youtube?

kinda defeats the purpose of not allowing shareplay functionality. just let us have it.

Wow, I didn't even know that disabling the Share button was a thing games could do. Are there Xbone games that prevent you from streaming or taking screenshots?

It is assumed that most devs/pubs disable it to put a stop to SharePlay functionality. But if you stop it for one thing I believe it stops everything else associated with it, too. Very few disable it to stop footage/screen capture or streaming... you would like to think.

Just to clear this up:
All share functions are disabled with the exception of post-game free roam and the challange mode.

So real life product cameo isn't the cause.

Source:my copy of yakuza 0

v1lla21

Probably depends on how much Japanese you know, or if you don't mind using walkthroughs. This site has translations for pretty much everything from what I've seen. I may import the game, since I really want to play it as well.
I don't know any Japanese at all. Lol. I'm fine using a walk-through.

It was restricted already in Ishin, I doubt they will change it, unfortunately.

But what the hell, how did Kiwami's release get past me? I need to get some JP PSN codes now.

you could actually share and record ishin in the demo.
It was the game itself that was restricted and ONLY untill you've beaten the game ( to prevent story spoilers )

For yakuza 0 they've just disabled everything and that's a stupid move all together.

agreed. which is strange to me considering this series has also pretty much always been playstation exclusive. idk why they wouldn't trust sony with this

The only moment they've talked about this ,many years ago during ishin release their only answer was that they didn't want the japanese players from being spoiled on the story

That's their escuse and i'm almost sure that this is the same escuse again.

If there was trouble with licensing with some karaoke songs , why not just disable recording during karaoke ?

I know a couple of games that enable and disable recording as needed , i'm unsure why it can't be done with Y0.

The only moment they've talked about this ,many years ago during ishin release their only answer was that they didn't want the japanese players from being spoiled on the story

That's their escuse and i'm almost sure that this is the same escuse again.

If there was trouble with licensing with some karaoke songs , why not just disable recording during karaoke ?

I know a couple of games that enable and disable recording as needed , i'm unsure why it can't be done with Y0.
maybe if sony cared about this IP they should talk to sega about it.

LAM09

There should be no reason for the share features to be block in the Western versions if ruining the story is problem they have with it.

crinale

Sony are kind of at fault here for even giving publishers that option, really. In 2016 we're in a world where people can just pop in to peek at their friends' games on Steam, or where someone can stream any PC game with a few minute's effort, or where people who really want to stream console games can drop a hundred bucks on a USB device that'll stream an HD input from their computer. There's nothing actually to be gained from locking down the on-system streaming with this kind of restriction except pandering to self-defeating paranoia on the publishers' part.

Am I correct in believing that on-system Twitch streaming on Xbox One doesn't have the same limitation? I haven't been able to find any evidence of such a restriction, anyway, which if true suggests that this wasn't some unavoidable licensing issue.

I think if they don't give pubs the option then I think what would happen is Japanese government would step in and ban the entire sharing altogether, for Japanese market at least.

Top Bottom