• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1+2 HD for Wii U announced

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I feel it almost assuredly did, because the technology and assets were all ported over at that point, making a Wii U version very straightforward.

The main difference here is that they ported Yakuza 1 + 2 and not their technology stack for Yakuza 5 that's now heading next-gen afterwards.

And let me reiterate I don't think this is any better than a 50/50 proposition- I just think think it would be extremely odd to release this out of nowhere without some sort of planned follow up.

Domstercool

Nintendo: "Nagoshi, please do the next F-Zero"

Nagoshi: "Only if you put one of my games on your system"

Nintendo:"Err.......Yakuza would be pretty cheap to do.....Wanna do Yakuza HD?"

Nagoshi: "Ok, F-Zero coming up"

I can dream........right? :(

Because by your rationale I could say that the late FIFA 13 port would have led to FIFA 14 on WiiU.

I feel it almost assuredly did, because the technology and assets were all ported over at that point, making a Wii U version very straightforward.

There are other things in play as well, such as contracts and whether or not the sales were satisfactory enough to warrant the sequel coming to the system. Like I said above, there's a FIFA engine already in place on the WiiU, but there's no FIFA 14 coming to it.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You're jumping to conclusions when you say "the late Arkham City port led to Arkham Origins this year."

I would say it did. Why else would WB bother doing it considering where the WiiU is at right now?

In translating Arkham City to WiiU, they essentially already did the bulk of the design work in how to make that happen. Apply that same process to Origins and voilà

Meelow

Banned
I fully expect Iwata on stage at their big E3 conference this year to say... "And finally..." Que Wada from Square "Please be Excited" Enix to walk on stage, tap Iwata on the back and announce FFXIII: Lightning Returns to come to WiiU.

But I think that may have been a recent nightmare of mine :p

I don't think it would be that hard for Nintendo to get Lighting Returns, Final Fantasy XV though would need skill.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Because by your rationale I could say that the late FIFA 13 port would have led to FIFA 14 on WiiU.

There are other things in play as well, such as contracts and whether or not the sales were satisfactory enough to warrant the sequel coming to the system. Like I said above, there's a FIFA engine already in place on the WiiU, but there's no FIFA 14 coming to it.

They didn't actually port over the new physics system though, and EA Sports is transitioning to a new engine being debuted at E3 this year.

Ugh time to go stare at wikipedia and figure out which yakuza games have been localized to see if I'lll ever get to play this.

Edit: oh so when we fail to get this it'll be a wiiu thing and not a yakuza thing. the games do get localized normally. sigh.

Yeah looks like Yakuza is about to get Monster Hunted.

Nintendo is really cornering the market in Japan. Dragon Quest, MH, Yakuza, SMT.

Seems like SCEJ's third party support is about as strong as its 1th party.

Nibel

Since there seem to be a part of Yakuza-GAF here

What are the chances that Yakuza 5 will come over (PS3 version)? And did they ever say anything about localizing Kenzan?

Getting a late port of some PS2 up-res PS3 games is not getting "Monster Hunted."

Since there seem to be a part of Yakuza-GAF here

What are the chances that Yakuza 5 will come over (PS3 version)? And did they ever say anything about localizing Kenzan?

Kenzan! is pretty much dead in the water for leaving Japan. If they don't announce 5 at E3, consider it not coming.

RgG5 is a good game, so hopefully they localize it for those who don't understand Japanese.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
He probably means no longer exclusive. And yes it is a very random announcement so I am sure something else is cooking.

It struck me as a very cynical "What can we buy, and quick!" move on Nintendo's part and some Yakuza ports and Sonic exclusivity was it.

Next Yakuza game has been teased as going PS4/nextgen anyway hasn't it, so there once again you're entering the "now can it even be downscaled to WiiU, and then why even bother?"

Next Yakuza game has been teased as going PS4 anyway hasn't it, so there once again you're entering the "now can it even be downscaled to WiiU, and then why even bother?"

Nagoshi has talked about how RgG 5 would be the last PS3 title (which had a good run of 3 mainline titles and 2 spin-offs) before moving on to next-generation. He never came out and directly said it, but strongly hinted at PS4 development.

Alrus

A couple PS2 ports means the franchise left Sony?

That's not what he said at all. It's just that it's a first time a Yakuza game (be it a port) is released on a platform that isn't a Sony one.

Still feels like a strange decision, this port is going to sell like shit... Who knows, maybe it'll lead to ports of the others PS3 Yakuza game.

Nibel

Nagoshi has talked about how RgG 5 would be the last PS3 title (which had a good run of 3 mainline titles and 2 spin-offs) before moving on to next-generation. He never came out and directly said it, but strongly hinted at PS4 development.

Well that settles it then

PS4 > NextBox

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
LOL, when is this heading West-side?
Certainly interesting, but I still expect Nintendo to keep it for itself.

Gadirok

I'm expecting ports of 3 and 4 if this sells well though I don't imagine it shifting many units given the PS3 HD collection already came out a year ago.

Videoneon

Wow, the series' first departure from Playstation. Nagoshi cameo is awesome. Hey, if it expands the audience! Please bring Westward.

Nintendo and Sega sure are friendly now. And it seems that the Wii U is leveling up for me, and I'll have reason to buy it assuredly.

I really don't see the HD Collection expanding the audience much at all. I mean, if you have a Japanese WiiU and never owned a PS2 or a PS3, you've got some new games to play. I just don't see that being a ton of people. There is a core audience of about 550-600,000 who consistently bought the mainline titles on the PS3.

Kimawolf

Wow, the series' first departure from Playstation. Nagoshi cameo is awesome. Hey, if it expands the audience!

Nintendo and Sega sure are friendly now. And it seems that the Wii U is leveling up for me, and I'll have reason to buy it assuredly.

ha that's their plan lol, keep dumping water into the pot until it finally spills over.

prwxv3

Some of you really are jumping to conclusions. I would believe that the WiiU would be getting the next Yakuza game if they were porting yakuza 3-5. But its just HD 1-2. I could be wrong though.

Nintendo + Sega, video game mega powers!

ibr1NAkIHA9Cju.gif

Top Bottom