• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |HOPE for Western Release?| Can we make some noise?

DeVeAn

Okay I suck at making a good OP for this kind of thread but, I searched and found nothing. It seems because the spin-off Dead Souls didn't sell well Yakuza 5 won't come to the West. Which isn't fair since not everyone wanted the spin-off that enjoys the main series. Don't even think about the HD collection making it over :(

All SEGA has to do is subtitle the game and put it on PSN. I don't know if this will help but, this video has a petition. Maybe it might get some attention I don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HXc6z3QBEY

I know there are big fans here on GAF myself included. Can we make some noise? Yakuza 5 looks damn awesome with the five cities. The demo is on the Japanese PSN store so check it out.
jBbbSwxl.jpg

Azuardo

Ugh, I'm a massive Yakuza fan and I need Yakuza 5 in my life. I want the HD Collection to come over too, if possible. I don't care if it's a digital title only. I just need Yakuza 5!

wingz

If it has a chance coming to overseas, I would buy it day 1. Doesn't matter to me if it a digital purchase or not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
By the time it'd even be ready to come out, everyone would have moved on to PS4 anyway. Releasing a subbed only game that doesn't sell well on a dead platform doesn't seem like a move even Sega would make. And these are the guys that wasted money on the shitty Aliens game.

I want it to happen, but I really don't have any hope for it.

Midou

Yeah

now sadly I think there is no hope at all for Yakuza 5.

Really? I heard it sold the best out of any western released Yakuza game...

Yet even if it sold poorly, they should not have expected much from a spin-off, especially one with a subject overdone by now. If they really wanted to sell us a spinoff that would do well, should have localized Kenzan..

I still have hope for Yakuza 5 though.

AngryMoth

Picked up a copy while I was in Japan recently. First game I've tried to play in japanese, going...ok. Think I'm getting the gist of most things.

CrazyDude

You guys know it was six months after the Japanese release of Yakuza 4 before it was announced for the west. 7 month for Yakuza 3. It's been four months since Yakuza 5 came out in Japan. It's a little bit early to be calling doom.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really? I heard it sold the best out of any western released Yakuza game...

Yet even if it sold poorly, they should not have expected much from a spin-off, especially one with a subject overdone by now. If they really wanted to sell us a spinoff that would do well, should have localized Kenzan..

I still have hope for Yakuza 5 though.
I think people are going by the fact that Sega announced sales for Y3 and Y4 but didn't mention anything for Y:DS, which probably means that the sales were so low that they were embarrassed to bring them up publicly.

Derrick01

Banned
I would buy it day 1, only exception being if it launched on the same day as PS4 in which case I'd have to buy it day whenever-my-wallet-recovers.

there's this comment about a month ago from the Associate Brand Manager...

Thanks for supporting both series! As to Yakuza, one of the best things you can do to support the franchise it is to go out and buy a copy(ies?) of Yakuza 4 or Dead Souls! And if you have already, thanks. :)

doesn't sound too great, huh

I want this and the other games never coming out over here. ):

DeVeAn

You guys know it was six months after the Japanese release of Yakuza 4 before it was announced for the west. 7 month for Yakuza 3. It's been four months since Yakuza 5 came out in Japan.

Shit, felt like it has been longer than that. Maybe I am jumping the gun here?

Boulayman

I actually enjoyed Dead Souls tbf. Just being able to play as Majima makes it worth it but yes it"S definitely not in the same league as the others. And the plot is very dumb. Plus most of the special ennemies were rips of from L4D, Hoping for Yakuza 5 :(

Kimawolf

There is no Operation Rainfall for this yet? I figured someone would take up the mantle since they saw how well it worked for the Wii games.

CrazyDude

I actually enjoyed Dead Souls tbf. Just being able to play as Majima makes it worth it but yes it"S definitely not in the same league as the others. And the plot is very dumb. Plus most of the special ennemies were rips of from L4D, Hoping for Yakuza 5 :(

Dead Souls was the Halloween special for the series.

DeVeAn

I actually enjoyed Dead Souls as well DAY 1 I was there. I can swallow nver getting the PSP games but, I don't want Yakuza 5 to be so close yet so far.

sublimit

Banned
I bought dead Souls on day 1 but i still haven't played it yet (even though i was one of the few that had actually enjoyed the demo).But hey at least i did my part.

What? The fucking terrible ass spin off is the reason why Yakuza 5 isn't coming over? I could have told them not to bring that terrible as game when they released it in Japan then. That just is really disappointing if true.

RedSwirl

By the time it'd even be ready to come out, everyone would have moved on to PS4 anyway. Releasing a subbed only game that doesn't sell well on a dead platform doesn't seem like a move even Sega would make. And these are the guys that wasted money on the shitty Aliens game.

I want it to happen, but I really don't have any hope for it.

The PS3 as a platform isn't gonna die immediately as soon as the PS4 launches (which will be roughly a year after Yakuza 5's Japanese release -- the typical lag between Japanese and western releases). There's so much stuff coming out that's current gen late this year, and probably more current gen content coming out in 2014. Console userbase transitions are never immediate.

Not to mention Yakuza 2 came out in the US after the PS3 came out. So did a lot of other niche PS2 games.

You guys know it was six months after the Japanese release of Yakuza 4 before it was announced for the west. 7 month for Yakuza 3. It's been four months since Yakuza 5 came out in Japan. It's a little bit early to be calling doom.

This too. I'll start getting worried if we don't get anything by E3.

DeVeAn

What? The fucking terrible ass spin off is the reason why Yakuza 5 isn't coming over? I could have told them not to bring that terrible as game when they released it in Japan then. That just is really disappointing if true.

Now I am not 100% this is true but the comment on the psblog mentioned above says to buy copies of Dead Souls. So I assume it wasn't enough?

CrazyDude

The PS3 as a platform isn't gonna die immediately as soon as the PS4 launches (which will be roughly a year after Yakuza 5's Japanese release -- the typical lag between Japanese and western releases). There's so much stuff coming out that's current gen late this year, and probably more current gen content coming out in 2014. Console userbase transitions are never immediate.

Not to mention Yakuza 2 came out in the US after the PS3 came out. So did a lot of other niche PS2 games.

As did God of War 2 and Persona 4.

sublimit

Banned
Hint for the OP: add a few screens, there's a Yakuza 5 thread here with lots.

That said, I'm optimistic, because I bet Sega is DESPERATE for quality games after the Aliens debacle.

Even better lets bring on some beautiful Yakuza5 gifs.The world must know! :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware

The difference is that I could (and did) play Yakuza 2 on my PS4... I even picked up the Sakura Wars game. lol

That said, I have no idea what the market for the hardcore is these days. Maybe there are people who will keep both systems hooked up because of the slew of weird ass NISA JRPG games coming out soon.

Didn't the game appear in the latest issue of Edge as a preview piece? Its title was even on the front cover. I'm pretty sure it's coming folks. No real reason for it not to now, what with 3, 4 and even Dead Souls getting the localised treatment this gen.

CrazyDude

I'll be honest I am anxious for an announcement, but they can easily have it PSN only, and even a small amount of sales would probably provide a profit. That is if the Yakuza series wasn't making enough for them. I mean if a new Tale game can still be announced even after so many failure I don't see why Yakuza 5 won't come.

Top Bottom