• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

gelf

the netcode is hella bad, stick to the standalone PSN release
just as many people playing it too -__-

There's also some weird bugs in the Y5 version, the colors are really washed out and the background SE are too loud. Really obnoxious on Jeffry's stage!

Seems weird that VF2 is different at all to the standalone PSN release. What did they do, actually go through the effort to port it again?

Tizoc

I am disappointed in any of you that did not Vote Y5 as their #1 2015 GotY title.
Sorely disappointed. It would've brought a manly tear to see it among the top 20.

I'd hate to sound like I'm shaming people but you must face the facts, this is a series that is gonna need any chance we can take advantage of to get more people interested in it.

I am disappointed in any of you that did not Vote Y5 as their #1 2015 GotY title.
Sorely disappointed. It would've brought a manly tear to see it among the top 20.

I'd hate to sound like I'm shaming people but you must face the facts, this is a series that is gonna need any chance we can take advantage of to get more people interested in it.

I'll admit i thought about doing it, but in the end i decided that i wanted my list to be an honest representation of what i enjoyed most this year and not about politics or the gaming equivalent of affirmative action. Even though i came in late to the series with Y3, i really grew to love it, but i can't in good conscience say that it was the best game i have played in the last year, just because i love the characters (i've been rocking an Akiyama avatar on PSN since Y4 came out) and enjoy the story and general game play, when i've also had many issues, which are partly due to the age of the engine. I'm sorry if that makes me an unworthy Yakuza fan. I'll continue to support the releases in the west and i might even import a couple of the ones that apparently will never come over, but i feel like i shouldn't have to praise every last aspect of the games, just because we can consider ourselves lucky to be getting a new installment.

It would have been kinda cool if Y5 ranked highly, but honestly, who really cares about the GAF GOTY, i've never bought a game (or skipped buying one) due to how it ranked on the poll. As long as we do our best and spread the love for the series via word of mouth, that's all that matters. If you want to be disappointed in anyone, you should take it up with this guy, a self-proclaimed fan of the series.

If you want to be disappointed in anyone, you should take it up with this guy, a self-proclaimed fan of the series.

Yeah, I remember reading that article around the time I finished my Japanese copy of the game and I never understood why anyone would actively want a game to NOT be localised...
I also don't tend to agree with most of his points either on why it shouldn't be brought over, but that's just my opinion vs his.

Is there any loot I should not be selling off? Like plates etc?

Plates should be ok. That's pretty much the only things I sell as you can easily get them back from winning chips at gambling.

Don't sell any modding items though, as those need to be donated to Kamiyama's stores which then allow you to create new weapons.

MoosiferX

I didn't vote this year due to me not making time for it, but it absolutely would've been #1 for me. Too little too late though I guess. :\ I'll just keep championing the games at my store to do my part!

cj_iwakura

Made it halfway through Kiryu Chapter 2 after a two hour blitz. Not bad, all things considered.

Will I need him to be at a good level to survive end game?

I'll admit i thought about doing it, but in the end i decided that i wanted my list to be an honest representation of what i enjoyed most this year and not about politics or the gaming equivalent of affirmative action. Even though i came in late to the series with Y3, i really grew to love it, but i can't in good conscience say that it was the best game i have played in the last year, just because i love the characters (i've been rocking an Akiyama avatar on PSN since Y4 came out) and enjoy the story and general game play, when i've also had many issues, which are partly due to the age of the engine. I'm sorry if that makes me an unworthy Yakuza fan. I'll continue to support the releases in the west and i might even import a couple of the ones that apparently will never come over, but i feel like i shouldn't have to praise every last aspect of the games, just because we can consider ourselves lucky to be getting a new installment.

It would have been kinda cool if Y5 ranked highly, but honestly, who really cares about the GAF GOTY, i've never bought a game (or skipped buying one) due to how it ranked on the poll. As long as we do our best and spread the love for the series via word of mouth, that's all that matters. If you want to be disappointed in anyone, you should take it up with this guy, a self-proclaimed fan of the series.

I'm sure that guy feels like an idiot now

kiryogi

Banned

I did my part, gave it #2 at least.

Evilisk

I don't really vote in GOTY threads (because it's kind of rare that I get games in the year they're released), and I didn't feel like voting only one game (and a game that I don't feel I'm even done with yet) so there.

At least I voted it in the OST of the year thread.

Is the Haruka section hard? Or will it be possible to rich through this chapter because I suck at those intense qte games?

Think about it like this. If you can do any of the karaoke songs decently, then you won't have much trouble because the idol songs are even easier (since unlike karaoke, you get a LOT of time to prepare for inputs)

Is the Haruka section hard? Or will it be possible to rich through this chapter because I suck at those intense qte games?

I suck at rhythm games and don't like them.

Haruka's section is a lot of fun and not very hard at all. A few of the optional dance battles on the street can be challenging, but most of her stuff is pretty easy.

Chapter 3 of Kiryu and rising. Will I be able to do the sidestories later, or is it now or never?

Side stories don't expire or becoming unavailable later so feel free to take your time. You can return to the cities later in the game to mop up any stuff you miss, and can also use the premium adventure mode to do any side stuff you miss also, so there is no fear of missing anything in your playthrough.

cj_iwakura

Side stories don't expire or becoming unavailable later so feel free to take your time. You can return to the cities later in the game to mop up any stuff you miss, and can also use the premium adventure mode to do any side stuff you miss also, so there is no fear of missing anything in your playthrough.

Well, this is different in my case. :p I did 16/18 before my PS3 died, so I'm wondering if I should bother this time, or just get right back to Saejima's Shawshank Adventures.

Well, this is different in my case. :p I did 16/18 before my PS3 died, so I'm wondering if I should bother this time, or just get right back to Saejima's Shawshank Adventures.

They are worth doing again if your aiming at that 100% trophy, or better yet just want to fight the Amon clan (4 separate boss battles like Yakuza 2 and 4). Its worth doing the side stories again just for the Amon fights in my opinion. But its worth leaving them for now to progress with the main story, the last thing you'd want to do is get burnt out on repeating stuff you've already done once.

Made it to the end of Saejima's second chapter.
Gotta love how these games throw unexpected stuff at the player.
I thought the escape on the snowmobile would be just a cutscene but it's actually gameplay. And then a fight with a ridiculously big bear. Gotta love it.

81 hours in and just finishing off Shinada's side stuff before heading to the final chapters.

I really like Shinada, his combat has gotten pretty awesome after unlocking a few more moves and training. Plus his weapons mastery makes using certain weapons (knife, pole) really fun. Plus his variety of heat moves makes battles really entertaining and varied.

Story wise I'm caring more than I though I would about the whole "15 years ago" conspiracy, its probably still perhaps the weakest part of the story but having Takasugi around certainly improves things, he's probably my favourite new character introduced in this game (bar maybe Baba).

Oh, and I think this is the only game series in existance that can make Cochin racing/breeding an addictive mini game. I really love it and I can't explain quite why!

Onto the finale now... about Shinada's chapter

At this point I still think his involvement in the game is quite tenuous at best. I'm still not 100% sure how it'll all tie up in the finale...
But I did really enjoy his story of redemption, ending his rivalry and retiring from Baseball at the end of the chapter was a nice end to this part of the story. I doubt he'll ever be seen again in the series, but I still really enjoyed parts of his story. Hopefully though they'll bring back Takasugi somehow, I really liked his character as well and wouldn't be against him popping up again in 6.

Combat wise though I think Shinada might be my surprise favourite in the game. I loved how you could link and cancel your combo's into throws, and then pull off one of several heat moves from there. His focus on weapons was really awesome as well, I barely used any of the weapons littered on the street because when I wasn't using my fists I was either using a pole or staff.

Oh, and I liked the returning side characters in his Victory Road segment as well, a couple of nice shout outs to earlier games in the series.

Makeda

I'm currently working my way though Haruka's section and there's one side story that caught my eye!

When you are auditioning for the role of Watami group poster girl I can't help but think that the two presidents here are meant to be a parody of Ken Katuragi & Kaz Hirai -
vi7zwfr8x

DJMicLuv

I'm currently working my way though Haruka's section and there's one side story that caught my eye!

When you are auditioning for the role of Watami group poster girl I can't help but think that the two presidents here are meant to be a parody of Ken Katuragi & Kaz Hirai -
vi7zwfr8x

Ohhh! I definitely thought the one sitting on the right was Kaz but I didn't twig the other was Ken! That was a really funny mission.

On the Finale at the moment, 70+ hours in, I fucking love this series!

Why is Yakuza 2 pretty much unanimously considered the best Yakuza game? 2 and 5 are the only localized ones I haven't played. I'm wondering if I should go play 2 before 5.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

vi7zwfr8x

Those are actually the real presidents of those companies. They're listed in the credits.

Dez_

I've been slowly getting back into this game in short bursts whenever I can. I really enjoyed Kiryu's section of the game, but the game kind of halted for me when I started the next section. It just took way too long to get the ball rolling, but I'll admit that I'm glad that I stuck with it. I really enjoyed playing Saejima's section of the game. I especially liked the snowy, Christmas look of the town, complete with decoration, music and such. It really had a great atmosphere and I enjoyed exploring. The new towns to walk around have been very refreshing.

Time for part 3.

jgminto

Why is Yakuza 2 pretty much unanimously considered the best Yakuza game? 2 and 5 are the only localized ones I haven't played. I'm wondering if I should go play 2 before 5.
The game one-upped the original in every aspect. I'd say I enjoyed roaming Kamurocho in 4 more (and now 5 more than that) but from start to finish, the story of Yakuza 2 is an amazing thrill ride with a loveable cast. It also has the best antagonist in the series.

The game one-upped the original in every aspect. I'd say I enjoyed roaming Kamurocho in 4 more (and now 5 more than that) but from start to finish, the story of Yakuza 2 is an amazing thrill ride with a loveable cast. It also has the best antagonist in the series.

Yeah, Yakuza 2 was just the full package. The best overall story, the best romance, the most well executed plot twists of the series, the best antagonists, the hardest hitting deaths, and just the most memorable overall plot. I can remember the individual story beats of Yakuza 2 much better than 3 or 4, despite having not played it in much longer.

Desmond

Just booted up my Japanese copy of 5, why is it showing the English trophy list in my collection? My OCD has gone wild lol

Also, how is the translation/ any localisation issues in the English release? I'm actually researching the localisation of the series for University.

Just booted up my Japanese copy of 5, why is it showing the English trophy list in my collection? My OCD has gone wild lol

The trophy list is shared between the Japanese and English versions of the game.

Also, how is the translation/ any localisation issues in the English release? I'm actually researching the localisation of the series for University.

The translation seems pretty good to me, though I haven't played the Japanese original so I can't compare the two.

brawly

Reached the city with Saejima and I'm not enjoying it at all. Kiryu's part was alright but Saejima's is really bad so far.

There are way too many guys on the streets compared to Kiryu's part. Hate fighting with Saejima.

Top Bottom