• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 6 going out on a high!

RAIDEN1

So the reviews are incoming already for the final part of the series....ahead of the worldwide release in mid-April, good scores so far, mystery remains though where IS the demo???! Surely it can't take them that long to re-jig it, not as if they have to build a new engine from the ground up...

Adding the review as mentioned in the post further below:

Last edited:

NovumAngel

Banned
Metacritic: 83
Opencritic: 84

Destructoid - 10
Yakuza 6 offers one of the finest, most realized crime stories of the medium. It also marks the conclusion of Kiryu Kazuma’s story, granting him an ending befitting such a well-rounded character. And the best part is that you don’t have to be a Yakuza expert to appreciate how it all ends.

Gamespot - 8
The world is dense and rewarding to exist in, the dynamic combat system stays exciting even after you’ve kicked the crap out of five thousand enemies, and perhaps most importantly, Yakuza 6: The Song Of Life serves as a fulfilling conclusion to the turbulent, decade-long saga of its beloved icon, Kazuma Kiryu.

Easy Allies - 8.5
Yakuza 6 is undeniably one of the best entries in the long-running series. Memorable side quests and engaging mini-games offer countless diversions and emotional encounters. The combat becomes routine, but the personal struggle of Kazuma Kiryu brings a satisfying and remarkable conclusion for the legendary Dragon of Dojima.

Game Informer - 9.3
One of my favorite things about Yakuza 6 is that it delivers surprises at such a steady clip.

IGN - 7.5
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life presents the most detailed virtual chunk of Japan the series has managed to date, and its story provides a satisfying end to the Kazuma Kiryu saga. However, as far as gameplay goes, Yakuza 6 doesn’t make enough of an effort to break new ground, making it weaker overall than last year’s Yakuza Zero.

xviper

if the game is ready then why are they delaying it's release ?? i have never seen a game's reviews come out 1 month before it's release

Shifty

So the reviews are incoming already for the final part of the series....ahead of the worldwide release in mid-April, good scores so far, mystery remains though where IS the demo???! Surely it can't take them that long to re-jig it, not as if they have to build a new engine from the ground up...
Contrary to popular belief, making a demo or vertical slice of a game is actually pretty expensive and time-consuming. A lot of work has to go into making a full-fat codebase run stable when 90% of the content is cut out.

It essentially becomes a separate build with its own specific assets and logic, and thus its own development and testing costs.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Contrary to popular belief, making a demo or vertical slice of a game is actually pretty expensive and time-consuming. A lot of work has to go into making a full-fat codebase run stable when 90% of the content is cut out.

It essentially becomes a separate build with its own specific assets and logic, and thus its own development and testing costs.
But in the case of this demo(and many modern demos), you are getting the full game with a stop put in at a certain point. Unfortunately, they released the "demo" without that stop at all, essentially releasing the full game for free. They then pulled the demo. All they have to do is fix the stop that failed and re-release it...

Anyways I don't really care about the reviews, this is the most anticipated game this year not counting Shenmue 3('cause I don't think that's landing this year). I'm really excited to explore this new old city and see how the characters have turned out with after missing 4 games worth of story...

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

Whats worst is that they're releasing it so close to GOW release.

I remember Sega released 3 on the exact same day as Final Fantasy XIII.

I know many of us today would choose Yakuza 3 over FF13 after we've gotten to know them, but in 2009? That was one of the most boneheaded releases of all-time.

NovumAngel

Banned
When people make a thread for a game's reviews aren't they generally supposed to link some, and update it when more are found?
Anyway here's a few more and I'm leaving it at that.

Jeuxvideo.com: 18/20
Gamekult: 7/10
Gameblog: 9/10
OtakuGamers: 7/10
Millenium: 85/100
JV France: 9/10
Actu Gaming: 8.5/10
JeuxVideo-Live: 16/20
Geeks And Com: 9/10
Video Gamer: 8/10
Eurogamer: Recommended
ilovevg: 9/10
USGamer: 4/5

And because my copy and paste failed me, these are the actual scores:
Destructoid - 7
Game Informer - 9.25

Shifty

But in the case of this demo(and many modern demos), you are getting the full game with a stop put in at a certain point. Unfortunately, they released the "demo" without that stop at all, essentially releasing the full game for free. They then pulled the demo. All they have to do is fix the stop that failed and re-release it...
Oh I see- in that case I'll disclaim that my last post was assuming things were being done 'the right way' on the tech side.

Shipping the complete game with a software lock to prevent you from progressing past the 'demo point' is certainly one way to do it- much cheaper and faster than slicing off an actual demo build, but evidently Y6 is the perfect example of why you don't do that!

I expect that there are serious internal pipeline discussions now being had at sega about how to avoid giving away an entire game for free. Stuff like setting up their engine to only ship the data files that the demo should be able to access- they could certainly fix the cutoff point and push out the demo, but the fact that all of the data would still be in there means that some enterprising tinkerer is going to dive in and either rip the content or re-disable demo mode and end up with a free game.

Now, whether that ripped/modified content would run on a non-modified PS4 is another question (the answer to which is very likely 'no'), but I doubt sega are happy with the idea of their game data being accessible prior to the official release. I wouldn't expect this to be a quick fix.

Fbh

Just read the Destructoid review and it sounds rather disappointing.

Smaller playable area than in previous games, less side activities than in previous games , combat that's dialed back to 1 style, with less heat actions and so simplistic it's closer to the original Yakuza 1 than newer entries.

Sounds like in everything but graphics it's a step back from Yakuza 4,5,0

I'll still buy it and probably enjoy it but it's disappointing as the final entry in Kazumas story

Last edited:
Why do some of the folks that got the full gm on Sonys mess up... so quiet..how's the gm? Not a one impression, Spill the chilli beans goddamit.

Dunki

Just read the Destructoid review and it sounds rather disappointing.

Smaller playable area than in previous games, less side activities than in previous games , combat that's dialed back to 1 style, with less heat actions and so simplistic it's closer to the original Yakuza 1 than newer entries.

Sounds like in everything but graphics it's a step back from Yakuza 4,5,0

I'll still buy it and probably enjoy it but it's disappointing as the final entry in Kazumas story
It is not only graphics but the whole experience. No loading times. No different fighting areas anymore. You can around all town during fights. You break shopping window fight through the whole store etc. the complete new engine will be used in Kiwanis 2 and future titles. Also no everything is voice acted.

They had done the same with yakuza 3 as well. For me the driving point will be the story which seems as long as Kiwami at least.

iorek21

I'm interested on the Yazuka 0 + 6 pack on PSN, but I've never played any game in the series

For the sake of comparison, is there any other game out there that is similar to this series?

OH-MyCar

I'm interested on the Yazuka 0 + 6 pack on PSN, but I've never played any game in the series

For the sake of comparison, is there any other game out there that is similar to this series?

One of these may also be a game that you've not played, but Yakuza is sorta like the hybrid of Metal Gear Solid (simultaneously silly & hyper-dramatic) and Shenmue (the city is fully-realized and has a lot of side things to do like arcades, bowling etc). It doesn't have quite the same pace or depth as Shenmue, but I tend to think of it as the series' spiritual successor.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
It doesn't have quite the same pace or depth as Shenmue, but I tend to think of it as the series' spiritual successor.
It's nothing like Shenmue honestly. The only comparisons are fairly shallow(japanese, arcade/mini games, etc.) and they play nothing alike and are nothing alike in tone or anything really significant...

Yakuza, much like Shenmue, is also very unique and doesn't really fit into the standard mainstream genres. It's hard to compare them to other games...

Dunki

It's nothing like Shenmue honestly. The only comparisons are fairly shallow(japanese, arcade/mini games, etc.) and they play nothing alike and are nothing alike in tone or anything really significant...

Yakuza, much like Shenmue, is also very unique and doesn't really fit into the standard mainstream genres. It's hard to compare them to other games...
Both are also very story focused. I always think of Yakuza as a successful evolution on the Shenmue formular.

BANGS

Banned
Both are also very story focused. I always think of Yakuza as a successful evolution on the Shenmue formular.
You can certainly make the argument that Yakuza is like the casualized/mainstreamized evolution of Shenmue that will actually sell to a wider audience. I can agree with that. But calling Yakuza the spiritual successor to Shenmue like mycar did is not only factually inaccurate, but does a great disservice to Shenmue. Sorry I got trigger'D...

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

You can certainly make the argument that Yakuza is like the casualized/mainstreamized evolution of Shenmue that will actually sell to a wider audience. I can agree with that. But calling Yakuza the spiritual successor to Shenmue like mycar did is not only factually inaccurate, but does a great disservice to Shenmue. Sorry I got trigger'D...

Ok, well I'll put it this way: In world where a true "spiritual successor" to Shenmue can only exist via crowdfunding, Yakuza is the closest possible thing we could ever have to a spiritual successor from any large publisher. It's "Arcade Shenmue", if you will. Again, I even emphasized that it didn't have the same pace or depth.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Yeah correction I should say it's the last game in the Kiryu series...having spent a lot of time with Yakuza 5 as my first proper entry in the game, I can't wait for the concluding part..

sublimit

Banned
Sega has re-uploaded the demo on PS store.
Sega has re-released the downloadable demo for Yakuza 6: The Song of Life, which was first launched in late February before being pulled after an error led to users gaining access to the full game.

Save data from the demo will carry over to the full game when it launches. Any PlayStation Network Trophies you earn in the demo will need to be re-earned in the full game.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/yakuza-6-song-life-demo-re-released-playstation-store

RAIDEN1

Strange that it wasn't available on the EU store, went onto the U.S one instead and got it from there...

Dunki

Yup it's the asia ver. Looks like the asia ver release date wasn't delayed to april.
Yeah. Its even on the PSN store and you could bascally buy it since it has english subttles and menus. But with Nino Kuni 2 and Far Cry 5 coming out I can wait till it will be released here on the 17th.

Halo0629

It will be hard to balance this and ni no kuni at the same time but atleast it gives me a breather when god of war comes out.

RAIDEN1

Sublimit I checked yesterday as well, I searched under Yakuza 6 on the store and all I got was details about the full game, and the package deal with Yakuza 0.. nothing about the demo, wasn't even advertised
in the demo section...played a bit of it today quite a lengthy intro, and reminded me of how this time last year I was playing through Yakuza 5 on the PS3.... : D

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Sublimit I checked yesterday as well, I searched under Yakuza 6 on the store and all I got was details about the full game, and the package deal with Yakuza 0.. nothing about the demo, wasn't even advertised
in the demo section...played a bit of it today quite a lengthy intro, and reminded me of how this time last year I was playing through Yakuza 5 on the PS3.... : D
Are you in the UK or mainland Europe? I'm in mainland Europe and downloaded the demo yesterday.

RAIDEN1

Gotta say the Yakuza 6 demo feels a bit thin on the ground, I know there are plenty of sights and sounds to see but I would like to have gone further a little bit in the prologue to the main mission..just when you are trying to find out about what happened to the guy behind Sky Finance, you get blocked off in going any further....

camelCase

Hopefully one Day they will announce Yakuza 3 to 5 on PS4 for the complete edition
Oh man I would abzolitely love that.

Having just finished 5, holy crap, does this series really have it where it counts. If 5 is any indication of the scale of 6 then I am excited bc that is a lot of game.

BANGS

Banned
Gotta say the Yakuza 6 demo feels a bit thin on the ground, I know there are plenty of sights and sounds to see but I would like to have gone further a little bit in the prologue to the main mission..just when you are trying to find out about what happened to the guy behind Sky Finance, you get blocked off in going any further....
Yeah there really isn't much content. You can go to the batting cages and do karaoke while running around fighting hooligans, and that's about it...

Top Bottom