• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 7 Question...

Will this game be receiving an English dub? Judgment had one, so I was curious if this game would follow that trend.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

My guess? No way. Judgement having one was a weird decision that probably didn't pay off in the West, considering sales.

Do you prefer Dubs to Subs?

Hopefully not. Waste of time for shit acting.

Dubs aren't shit acting. You could have made that argument 20 years ago, but dubs are great now. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean you should just shit all over them. And yes, I've always preferred dubs over subs and I always will. I don't watch anime to read a fucking diatribe and be distracted from what's going on on screen.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Dubs aren't shit acting. You could have made that argument 20 years ago, but dubs are great now. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean you should just shit all over them. And yes, I've always preferred dubs over subs and I always will. I don't watch anime to read a fucking diatribe and be distracted from what's going on on screen.
Nothing really happens in anime to warrant subs distracting you, wanting to watch something in it's original language isn't a bad thing, and yes dubs are still bad and have 0 charm that the old laughably bad dubs have.

Justin9mm

Sorry I also I disagree.

Dubs lose the artistic direction and delivery. Lines are mostly not delivered with the same emotion, intensity and feeling. There is nothing good about dubs, you just prefer them because you either A. Don't have the ability to read and watch at the same time quick enough or B. Just plain Lazy.

I put this in the same basket as someone who watches a bootleg potato quality film on their stereo sound TV and telling me it was ok. It's ok for you to like dubs over subs but its a general world wide opinion that they are not better, whether that be now or 20 years ago!

Yeah, I guess since I prefer dubs I MUST have a reading comprehension problem or I'm lazy. Real nice, guy. Try not being an asshole elitist next time. There's clearly a market for people just like me or dubs wouldn't be made in the first place and I don't see Toonami airing subs either.

Last edited:
Sometimes dubs are legit better, as with rilakkuma

I am so sick of the elitist sub watchers putting down dubs and the people who like/prefer them. Can’t we all just get along? I grew up watching DBZ on Toonami and I fell in love with dubs. I’m not shitting on subs. If you prefer them, that’s cool, but don’t call me a fucking idiot for liking what I like. Dubs are almost ALWAYS of a high quality. There are some voice actors that are freaking legendary like Crispin Freeman, Johnny Yong-Bosch, Steven Blum, etc. I’ve tried subs and I can’t stand it. It drives me crazy.

Kazza

My guess? No way. Judgement having one was a weird decision that probably didn't pay off in the West, considering sales.

Do you prefer Dubs to Subs?

Sega themselves said that Western sales exceeded expectations, so the move probably payed off. Hopefully this will mean an English dub for 7.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I am so sick of the elitist sub watchers putting down dubs and the people who like/prefer them. Can’t we all just get along? I grew up watching DBZ on Toonami and I fell in love with dubs. I’m not shitting on subs. If you prefer them, that’s cool, but don’t call me a fucking idiot for liking what I like. Dubs are almost ALWAYS of a high quality. There are some voice actors that are freaking legendary like Crispin Freeman, Johnny Yong-Bosch, Steven Blum, etc. I’ve tried subs and I can’t stand it. It drives me crazy.

I mean this would be a valid reason if dubs where of a decent quality, unfortunately there not so everything just sounds like whiny justification of why liking a low quality thing is alright when from what I have found is it ALWAYS comes down to not liking to read.

I mean this would be a valid reason if dubs where of a decent quality, unfortunately there not so everything just sounds like whiny justification of why liking a low quality thing is alright when from what I have found is it ALWAYS comes down to not liking to read.

Not of decent quality? Do you even watch dubs? I’m all about respecting people’s opinions and all, but I am about sick and tired of you elitist assholes hyping up subs and downplaying dubs just because you think you’re better for watching it “the right way.”

gela94

People who like dubs are just lazy readers! Germans are apparently especially bad at reading and paying attention to the screen. There was nothing worse than watching anime with my friend and because she was hating subs I had to go through the accoustic toture and listen to german dubs in anime. *shudders*

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

I played 20 mins of Judgment with dubs before I changed to original voices. It felt more natural. Dubs are...out of place most of the times, even if the acting can be decent. It will never fit with the original vision and if you prefer to play or watch Japanese media dubbed you're missing quality.

Dunki

People who like dubs are just lazy readers! Germans are apparently especially bad at reading and paying attention to the screen. There was nothing worse than watching anime with my friend and because she was hating subs I had to go through the accoustic toture and listen to german dubs in anime. *shudders*
Where the hell did you get that? Just because your friend is like that does not mean everyone else is :p

As for Dubs in Yakuza 7. I hope not. Dubs will take more time for the localisation and I want the game asfast as possible.

cireza

Nothing really happens in anime to warrant subs distracting you, wanting to watch something in it's original language isn't a bad thing, and yes dubs are still bad and have 0 charm that the old laughably bad dubs have.
You should try to accept people liking different things than you.

Sega has been making a lot of efforts concerning localization is the recent years. So this could happen.

Last edited:

Verdanth

I mean, why not? If it helps the series.

Judgment dub was pretty good, but I still went with Japanese because for me the setting itself demands it. It just makes the atmosphere more natural.

Personally anybody that has interest in this series should play it with japanese voice acting. It's the right way.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

I don't really care, as long as we always have the options for the original voices in any media. I hate watching anything with any dub, because it never sounds right, many times the sound doesnt fit the emotion that the characters are showing, or simply doesnt fit at all the character itself, and that to me happens no matter if the dub is good or bad.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Not of decent quality? Do you even watch dubs? I’m all about respecting people’s opinions and all, but I am about sick and tired of you elitist assholes hyping up subs and downplaying dubs just because you think you’re better for watching it “the right way.”

We dont need to "hype" subs when there the standard, and we dont need to downplay dubs either because they do that by existing and people being able to hear them. I am sick of fuckers trying to explain how dubs are superior just because they struggle with reading at pace, it's really not that hard, but you are picking a losing battle by trying to infer that dubs are superior or at worst on par with the original voice cast for an overwhelming majority of cases.

Your the exception not the rule and there is a reason for that, I am fine when people go "it's because I dont like reading" but when you try to infur its a diffrent reason outside of that I call bullshit. I have plenty of colleagues in my work place who watch dubs, it always comes down to not enjoying or not being able to read at pace as they feel is detracts from what's on screen.

Last edited:

gela94

Where the hell did you get that? Just because your friend is like that does not mean everyone else is :p

As for Dubs in Yakuza 7. I hope not. Dubs will take more time for the localisation and I want the game asfast as possible.
All people I know dislike subs, obviously I know that not everybody is like that but I still think it's the majority.

We dont need to "hype" subs when there the standard, and we dont need to downplay dubs either because they do that by existing and people being able to hear them. I am sick of fuckers trying to explain how dubs are superior just because they struggle with reading at pace, it's really not that hard, but you are picking a losing battle by trying to infer that dubs are superior or at worst on par with the original voice cast for an overwhelming majority of cases.

Your the exception not the rule and there is a reason for that, I am fine when people go "it's because I dont like reading" but when you try to infur its a diffrent reason outside of that I call bullshit. I have plenty of colleagues in my work place who watch dubs, it always comes down to not enjoying or not being able to read at pace as they feel is detracts from what's on screen.

If you prefer subs, that’s fine. I prefer dubs. I don’t have a reading problem or a problem keeping up with what’s on screen. I just prefer to hear anime in my native language and I can connect to the characters on a more emotional level that way. I can’t get attached to characters in which I have to read their every single word. You might be sick of “fuckers” saying dubs are superior, but I’m just as sick of people acting like subs are the only way to watch and if you watch dubs you are automatically inferior and just a dumbass or a lazy bastard for doing so. I grew up with dubs and I will continue to thoroughly enjoy every dub I watch. I’ve hated every subbed anime I’ve ever watched and if you like it, that’s cool. More power to you. But I am a dub man and I won’t ever switch to subs no matter how much you talk down to me.

Fbh

I hope they continue doing the same as they did with Judgement. Not only did it have dubs and subs but they actually included 2 different subs, ones that stay closer to the original Japanese script and ones that are based on the localised script.

For games like these I'll always prefer subs, but if the inclusion of an optional dub widens the audience and increases the sales they they should go for it. I imagine they do have the data of how many people played Judgement with the dub as opposed to the subs, so I guess them being in Yakuza 7 will depend on that.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Sorry I also I disagree.

Dubs lose the artistic direction and delivery. Lines are mostly not delivered with the same emotion, intensity and feeling. There is nothing good about dubs, you just prefer them because you either A. Don't have the ability to read and watch at the same time quick enough or B. Just plain Lazy.

I put this in the same basket as someone who watches a bootleg potato quality film on their stereo sound TV and telling me it was ok. It's ok for you to like dubs over subs but its a general world wide opinion that they are not better, whether that be now or 20 years ago!
You should thank all your gods that you don't have italian dubbers. They are so bad it's incredible.

mejin

They want a new beginning in the west and that's why they eliminated the "7" from the cover. I'll bet it will have english dubs.

Top Bottom