• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon demo now available in Japan | New Story Trailer

Mista

Banned

The demo for Yakuza: Like a Dragon is now available for PlayStation 4 via the PlayStation Store in Japan. Sega has also released a new 10-minute story trailer that confirms Yakuza series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu will appear the game.

I didn't like his look either but I got used to him from the mobile game. You guys will too. I'm kind of busy lately but I'll get the demo in case it gets removed from the store later.

Verdanth

As a turn-based game it does an OK job, as a Yakuza, well... The combat just lost all its charm if you ask me.

It's too damn slow.

Also throwing Kiryu in the last game trailer also makes me think they are not so sure about the game either.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

I played the demo for 3-4 hours.

The game looks and runs better on base PS4 than Y6 or Judgment.

New city is a breath of fresh air. Copying Kamurocho in every Yakuza has run it's course.

The thing I was afraid of were slow, turn based battles, but surprise, surprise they're quite fast and dynamic. You can even wipe out a group of 4-5 thugs with one special bat swing. The battles are fun and everything has that positively over the top feeling. Crazy special attacks for all characters(sending pack of crows by hobo drunkard) and enemies like beach boys with mattress.

Runing around with your buddies feels natural, you really feel that you have your team. In the demo you start with 3 team mates and get a 4th one at the first story point.

Buying new weapons and armor is super straightforward, you just buy stuff, it shows the stat upgrade and instantly equip it. No menu dabbling necessary.

Minigames are brand new and very arcadey but not too special.

Now the bad stuff.

The substories are as boring and cumbersome as in the old titles. You just talk to one person, run couple streets, talk to another, come back, maybe fight 1 weak enemy, see happy ending and repeat. I finished all 4-5 substories in the demo and somehow felt even more bothersome than in the recent titles.

And I think I know why...

The worst part of the demo are constantly respawning enemies. If you thought the thugs in past Yakuza's spawned too often then this is 10 times worse.
It is ironically like in old jrpgs where constantly had those battles every 3 steps. Yes you can run away but it makes little sense since you can bet that another group of enemies waits just in the street you're running to.
You don't really want to avoid them because you constantly level up.

After these 3-4 hours I was already tired of it and that's fucking bad. Very tiresome and it's just a demo. I hope they tune it in the final game but I doubt it.

I have mixed feelings now.

It's probably worth waiting for western version. Fun characters and world and even battles on one side and crushing repetition, respawning enemies every 2 seconds and dull side stories on the other.

kLKtCns.gif

Last edited:
As a friend said to me "TIME TO TAKE OUT THE TRASH.....MEN!"

Sounds like the Spawn rate is Skies of Arcadia levels of terrible.

I hope that they tone that down.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Yakuza ain't Yakuza without Kiryu in some form even if he isn't the protagonist!

I probably won't try out the demo but looking forward to reading more impressions here and around on the combat. I'm glad there's assurance by Nagoshi that if the combat doesn't work out in this game, they will revert it back, lol.

GrayFoxPL

Yakuza ain't Yakuza without Kiryu in some form even if he isn't the protagonist!

I probably won't try out the demo but looking forward to reading more impressions here and around on the combat. I'm glad there's assurance by Nagoshi that if the combat doesn't work out in this game, they will revert it back, lol.

Combat system works. It's very well thought out. Like if you hit enemy and he lands near your team mates they will kick or hit him automatically for more damage.
If you knock down enemy with one character and if you attack that enemy while he's on the ground with other character then it'll be a powerful down attack like in the old games.

If there's an object like bikes between you and enemy, you'll automatically kick them at enemy or pick them up and use them like Kiryu.

I'm honestly shocked how well made and dynamic this system is. I must eat crow in this regard.

Last edited:

Miles708

The battle system is so satisfying, but the city is 100% lifeless and uninteresting now :messenger_frowning_

Last edited:

Kazza

This is why I love Sega.

They seem to have a really interesting theme in this game where the protagonist's overactive imagination combined with his love of Dragon Quest is leading him to have these kind of weird hallucinations. In his mind, the world plays out like an old RPG. Pretty interesting as a concept. Although I'm not the biggest RPG fan, I'm generally on board with the new combat system, although the super-high encounter rate mentioned by GrayFoxPL GrayFoxPL is a bit concerning, as excessive grinding is one of the things I dislike the most about the genre.

Pallas

They seem to have a really interesting theme in this game where the protagonist's overactive imagination combined with his love of Dragon Quest is leading him to have these kind of weird hallucinations. In his mind, the world plays out like an old RPG. Pretty interesting as a concept. Although I'm not the biggest RPG fan, I'm generally on board with the new combat system, although the super-high encounter rate mentioned by GrayFoxPL GrayFoxPL is a bit concerning, as excessive grinding is one of the things I dislike the most about the genre.

Ah I see, so the crazy goofy random encounter is more of a weird hallucination, due to an overactive imagination? Like he’s actually fighting but he’s seeing the enemies differently? Kind of like a kid who uses his imagination.

BaneIsPain

I am still hoping the quirky substories still play a large part of the game. It is the charm of this series.
Is there any news on properties mini game on this yakuza?

GrayFoxPL

Ah I see, so the crazy goofy random encounter is more of a weird hallucination, due to an overactive imagination? Like he’s actually fighting but he’s seeing the enemies differently? Kind of like a kid who uses his imagination.

Yeah the enemies transform the moment you enter battle. Sometimes one lonely enemy can turn into a huge thug.
The main guy is shocked and comments on it in the first battle, I think. But I don't know Japanese so well.

Probably: "People are not what they seem at first glance." - logic. Haha.

Top Bottom