• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Series Starter Guide | Welcome to Kamurocho

You sound a lot like me in this regard. And the importance of certain games needing to sell for a franchise's health is not lost on me. I'll go ahead and bite on 0.

Glad to hear it. Because Yakuza 0 stands on its own I'm actually curious what those who play it before 1 think of it compared to those of us who played 1 beforehand. Given the relationships in 1 I imagine 0 could end up serving equally as well as a starter game as it does a new full game + treat for those familiar with where the story leads. FWIW, I'm so glad Sega chose this title to try and reinvigorate interest in the series out West, it's really the perfect choice starting out.

I agree with what you are saying but there is also another point that I want to add, and that's the fact that Kiwami (Yakuza 1 Remake) is getting released in west as well. From what I've heard and seen that game (in parts) legitimately feels like a sequel to Yakuza 0. And it's coming out around 6 months after Yakuza 0.

So, I think with the announcement of Yakuza Kiwami, right now Yakuza 0 is truly the best entry point.

I agree that Kiwami makes getting 0 make even more sense, but being the type of person I am I also think similarly of remakes as I do prequels. From what I've heard and seen Kiwami is a slightly lesser 0, but more importantly is night and day from the original with few questionable additions/changes. I guess it's just a nerve or something that kicks off, but I typically look at remakes as "another way to enjoy the original" rather than a substitute and would prefer playing the original first, as well as wish the original on others first.

I think Kiwami is one of those cases where, like 0, exceptions to the rule creeps in. It's wonderfully faithful to the original, but really manages to turn it into a modern experience at the same time. Even if I can make the time and have the patience to return to the original, I can't expect the same of others, so it would be unrealistic for me to recommend the original despite my bias.
AND THE FACT THAT THE MUSIC IS INFERIOR IN KIWAMI FIGHT ME

I would say a similar situation is the Crash games vs the remakes, but the fact that Kiwami just has a much smoother and faster pace moment-to-moment than the original game is a big boon in its favor alone, imo. A big detriment is that Kiwami 2 doesn't exist, making the experience a little disjointed jumping back to the original 2 after Kiwami, but hopefully it becomes a thing after 6's numbers finish coming in.

...so what's everyone's plan on getting one of those gamestop posters? im thinking ill just call up a few local shops in early january and see if they have em, maybe try to put a few bucks down & grab one or something!

I'm still thinking about it honestly, lol. It's hard to pass up the price on Amazon though. Might swing by a store and try to barter.

EDIT: New page, great.

I agree that Kiwami makes getting 0 make even more sense, but being the type of person I am I also think similarly of remakes as I do prequels. From what I've heard and seen Kiwami is a slightly lesser 0, but more importantly is night and day from the original with few questionable additions/changes. I guess it's just a nerve or something that kicks off, but I typically look at remakes as "another way to enjoy the original" rather than a substitute and would prefer playing the original first, as well as wish the original on others first.

I think Kiwami is one of those cases where, like 0, exceptions to the rule creeps in. It's wonderfully faithful to the original, but really manages to turn it into a modern experience at the same time. Even if I can make the time and have the patience to return to the original, I can't expect the same of others, so it would be unrealistic for me to recommend the original despite my bias.
AND THE FACT THAT THE MUSIC IS INFERIOR IN KIWAMI FIGHT ME

I would say a similar situation is the Crash games vs the remakes, but the fact that Kiwami just has a much smoother and faster pace moment-to-moment than the original game is a big boon in its favor alone, imo. A big detriment is that Kiwami 2 doesn't exist, making the experience a little disjointed jumping back to the original 2 after Kiwami, but hopefully it becomes a thing after 6's numbers finish coming in.

That's an interesting view to have on remakes. Not one that I share, but still interesting. Personally, as long as I find the remake to be faithful to the original, I'll always recommend it over the vanilla game. Like, if people ask me which RE1 version they should play, my answer will always be REmake.

I do understand the point in trying to experience the original work though. Seeing how the series has started and how it has evolved over time is really interesting. But as you've said it yourself, I know a lot of people might not have the means or patience to go back to OG titles.

At any rate, with the announcement of Kiwami, people now really have no excuse to not give this series a try. I understand that jumping straight to number 4 might've been a scary thought (even though it shouldn't have been really) but now with Zero and then Yakuza 1 Remake, people who were interested in the series should be able to get into it much more easier.

Still can't believe we're getting 3 Yakuza games almost back to back.

I'm honestly starting to think that we might even get the RGG game that gets released in Japan next year by 2018. Just hope that Y0 and Kiwami sell well enough to justify the continued support.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

The "Majima Everywhere" system sounds hilarious and awesome

Completely new to Kiwami is the “Majima Everywhere” system, where the series’ deranged, one-eyed maniac will constantly surprise and challenge Kiryu to combat when he least expects it. We’re talking “popping out of a goofy costume” levels of surprise, so players must stay on their toes and be ready to defend themselves from Kiryu’s chief rival.

I don't feel like 0 is the best entry point. That's still the first game / Kiwami. Zero works best if you already know Kiryu and Majima, since it's fan-service at its core, exemplified by the after credits scene which can only have its intended impact if you know where these characters are headed to in the future.

Peroroncino

I don't feel like 0 is the best entry point. That's still the first game / Kiwami. Zero works best if you already know Kiryu and Majima, since it's fan-service at its core, exemplified by the after credits scene which can only have its intended impact if you know where these characters are headed to in the future.

Kiwami is supposedly picking up on some stuff that began in Y0, it was remade so that it makes sense going from Y0, therefore I think it's as good entry point as it's gonna be, especially since all Yakuza games have self-contained stories per game with maybe some minimal links between them (apart from characters of course).

StereoVsn

It's still a damn shame that Sega didn't bring 1&2 HD for PS3 to the West. They did improve a few things on 1&2 clunkiness and that would have put whole series on PS3.

z1ggy

• Got a PS4 about a month ago
  • Watched the videos in the OP
  • I'm ready to finally play a Yakuza game starting next month

ianpm31

Already preordered Yakuza 0 on PSN ...Ready to go :)

I've gone completely digital for a few years now but especially with Japanese games I feel good that I bought the digital copy because niche franchises need as much profit (per sale) as possible. I feel like I'm doing my part

Shoeless

Is Yakuza 0 getting a retail release in the US or no?

edit: omg it is

I've been buying my Yakuza games digitally, but I had to make an exception for Yakuza 0. Once my wife found out one of the goodies was a Yakuza business card case, she wanted that in the worst way.

ramuh

I've gone completely digital for a few years now but especially with Japanese games I feel good that I bought the digital copy because niche franchises need as much profit (per sale) as possible. I feel like I'm doing my part

I wanted the steel card holder so I went physical.

Peroroncino

giphy-10.gif

bqkphWLsg.gif

alt27

Does anyone know if Yakuza Zero is coming digitally to EU/UK store? I cant find this on the PS store for pre order so wondering if I would have to buy a US disc version and get it shipped?

This will be my first Yakuza game. The nightlife trailer sold me . I need this game badly!

Does anyone know if Yakuza Zero is coming digitally to EU/UK store? I cant find this on the PS store for pre order so wondering if I would have to buy a US disc version and get it shipped?

This will be my first Yakuza game. The nightlife trailer sold me . I need this game badly!

It is coming to the EU digitally/physically but the one half dead chimp that usually updates the store hasn't gotten round to it yet. Knowing the EU store it'll appear a few minutes before the game is actually released.

alt27

It is coming to the EU digitally/physically but the one half dead chimp that usually updates the store hasn't gotten round to it yet. Knowing the EU store it'll appear a few minutes before the game is actually released.

Thanks! I want to be playing ths right when it releases, and not left waiting on the postman

Thanks! I want to be playing ths right when it releases, and not left waiting on the postman

I'll be nabbing a physical copy myself, though that is quite the conundrum. Who is more unreliable - my postman or the Sony chimp? After the whole Slain crossbuy issue last month I don't know who to place my trust in!

Oh well, back to Yakuza 6!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Dunno why, but I'm really excited for Yakuza 0 all of a sudden. I have 5, but haven't played it, for whatever reason. For whatever reason, having the games coming out on PS4 is just way more invigorating to me.

Muzy72

Banned
So should I start with 0 or Kiwami? Never played a Yakuza game, but will be buying both day 1 because the games look interesting and want to support it.

Yeah, I'm super excited about Y0 as well. Though we still have one more month to go, ugh!

So should I start with 0 or Kiwami? Never played a Yakuza game, but will be buying both day 1 because the games look interesting and want to support it.
First Zero, then Kiwami.

Agent Singh

Neo Member
So this thread (amazing OP) and all the latest hype around 0, Kiwami and 6 finally gave me the push I needed to try the series out again. I've meant to do it for a long time and originally tried to start with 3 way back in the day but never managed to finish it despite a good couple of attempts at it.

This time however, thanks to this thread, I decided to try 4 and I'm glad I did. It still took a little bit of time to get into it properly and there are some pacing issues, but now I'm really enjoying it. It's ridiculously OTT, hilariously so (a certain character's method of recording revelations is brilliant), but it does enough to make you care about the characters and story. I know enough of the backstory through my time with 3 and various youtube videos (definitely recommend the HyperBitHero video in the OP) that I've not felt out of my depth or scratched my head wondering who's who or what's going on. While previous knowledge of the series obviously helps I think anyone thinking of jumping into the series with 4 can definitely do it, as others have said.

So once 4 is done, I need to decide what to play next! Go back to 3, maybe start 5 (grabbed it when it was free on plus), or wait for 0?? Really wish we were getting the business edition of 0 in the UK. Anyway cheers for the push Yakuza-GAF, I needed it!

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So this thread (amazing OP) and all the latest hype around 0, Kiwami and 6 finally gave me the push I needed to try the series out again. I've meant to do it for a long time and originally tried to start with 3 way back in the day but never managed to finish it despite a good couple of attempts at it.

This time however, thanks to this thread, I decided to try 4 and I'm glad I did. It still took a little bit of time to get into it properly and there are some pacing issues, but now I'm really enjoying it. It's ridiculously OTT, hilariously so (a certain character's method of recording revelations is brilliant), but it does enough to make you care about the characters and story. I know enough of the backstory through my time with 3 and various youtube videos (definitely recommend the HyperBitHero video in the OP) that I've not felt out of my depth or scratched my head wondering who's who or what's going on. While previous knowledge of the series obviously helps I think anyone thinking of jumping into the series with 4 can definitely do it, as others have said.

So once 4 is done, I need to decide what to play next! Go back to 3, maybe start 5 (grabbed it when it was free on plus), or wait for 0?? Really wish we were getting the business edition of 0 in the UK. Anyway cheers for the push Yakuza-GAF, I needed it!

wait for 0

3 and 5 both have huuuge pacing problems and 0 is only 1 month away

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm also really glad Kiwami is making it to the US -- I really didn't think that one would. Yakuza 1 is the only game in the series that I'm kinda iffy on. It just felt kinda clunky, and 2 was a massive step up in just about every way. Between that and the voice acting, I've really never had much desire to go back and play that one again. So I'm glad that it's finally getting its due in the west.

I have no idea how this series basically came back from the dead over here.

bnx

Yeah, Yakuza 4 is a great place to start. I started there myself.

Dunno how far you got in Yakuza 3, perhaps you can wrap that game up before 0 gets here.

As for Yakuza 5.... if your Plus isn't expiring anytime soon I guess you could hold off on that.

IrishNinja

I'm also really glad Kiwami is making it to the US -- I really didn't think that one would. Yakuza 1 is the only game in the series that I'm kinda iffy on. It just felt kinda clunky, and 2 was a massive step up in just about every way. Between that and the voice acting, I've really never had much desire to go back and play that one again. So I'm glad that it's finally getting its due in the west.

I have no idea how this series basically came back from the dead over here.

yeah, still so happy kiwami's making it over - but let's be honest, without sony's making the list effort it would've stayed dead.

Agent Singh

Neo Member
Yeah, Yakuza 4 is a great place to start. I started there myself.

Dunno how far you got in Yakuza 3, perhaps you can wrap that game up before 0 gets here.

As for Yakuza 5.... if your Plus isn't expiring anytime soon I guess you could hold off on that.

Looking at my trophies for 3, I beat chapter 8? So I don't think I was too far from finishing it. I did think to just to go back and maybe re-watch some of the earlier cutscenes and then finish off the game. But I'm tempted to start it all over again and take my time with it, as I feel a lot more invested now.

Will see how long it takes to finish 4. I'm enjoying doing the sub-stories at the moment, the fighter maker challenge was fun. Completed part 2 last night, really enjoyed Saejima's arc.

Looking at my trophies for 3, I beat chapter 8? So I don't think I was too far from finishing it. I did think to just to go back and maybe re-watch some of the earlier cutscenes and then finish off the game. But I'm tempted to start it all over again and take my time with it, as I feel a lot more invested now.

Will see how long it takes to finish 4. I'm enjoying doing the sub-stories at the moment, the fighter maker challenge was fun. Completed part 2 last night, really enjoyed Saejima's arc.

Its worth going back and finishing 3 if you can. The later chapters in that game are really good, some really good boss battles and story progression with Rikyia.

Its worth going back and finishing 3 if you can. The later chapters in that game are really good, some really good boss battles and story progression with Rikyia.
I'd second this but I'm afraid that he might feel Yakuza fatigue playing three Yakuza games (Y4, Y3 and Y0) back to back.

Agent Singh

Neo Member

I'd second this but I'm afraid that he might feel Yakuza fatigue playing three Yakuza games (Y4, Y3 and Y0) back to back.

Yeah I'll play it by ear and see how I get on. I'll definitely be going back to it at some point though!

Gacha-pin

If that's the case, you can skip Zero and wait for Kiwami and then go back to Zero sometime later. A) Playing Kiwami to Zero is a better order. Zero is packed with lots of fan service contents and references. It includes a big first game's spoiler. A series of pocket racer's subquests is the only conflict to play this order. B) You can probably get Zero cheaper ;p

Nah, I think he should skip 3 for the moment and wait for Zero.

Zero to Kiwami in theory should make the conflict between those two characters more interesting. Also, the story would have better flow with Zero taking place before Kiwami and all that. And lastly, the sooner people play the greatness that is Zero, the sooner we would have word of mouth spreading around about how awesome the Yakuza series is :)

BadWolf

Ok, I don't think I can take any more of Y5.

Y4 was freaking fantastic with so many great characters (especially Yasuko, one of the best female game characters ever) and the story was super interesting too, felt like playing in a great gangster movie.

Y5 on the other hand is so freaking boring, I was literally dosing off during chapter 2. So I try to slug through it hoping that chapter 3 is better and... it's freaking worse!

Why in the heck am I playing
as Haruka and doing teen idol BS
?! I remember something about this in a trailer from way back but I didn't think it was part of the main story, figured it would be some side thing that you can ignore if you want.

The game overall is just such a huge downgrade from Y4 in almost every respect.

Ok, I don't think I can take any more of Y5.

Y4 was freaking fantastic with so many great characters (especially Yasuko, one of the best female game characters ever) and the story was super interesting too, felt like playing in a great gangster movie.

Y5 on the other hand is so freaking boring, I was literally dosing off during chapter 2. So I try to slug through it hoping that chapter 3 is better and... it's freaking worse!

?! I remember something about this in a trailer from way back but I didn't think it was part of the main story, figured it would be some side thing that you can ignore if you want.

The game overall is just such a huge downgrade from Y4 in almost every respect.
The biggest problem with the game is that there really is too much of it. That means that the story really does tend to drag on and even though you play as different characters with different arcs, it becomes hard to care sometimes when you get so far removed from the main plot and are then brought back suddenly.

Though if you just care about gameplay and not story, then in a way it's a good thing as there is a LOT of game here.

?!
I know, isn't it great?

Joking aside, yeah Y5 has huge pacing problems. Just like luce said they added lots of stuff to the game and that eventually caught up to them. If it's any consolation the game becomes much more focused on the story and Yakuza stuff in its second half. I'll still encourage you to finish it. If only to see one of the most badass scenes in the series (and probably in any game). I'm sure everyone know which one I'm talking about (Yakuza 5 final chapter spoilers)
entire Yakuza clans kneeling before my boy Akiyama
. That was soooo hype.

At any rate, I'm really glad that they decided to cut back on playable characters with Y0. Not only that, but switching between characters after two chapters instead of one should help make each side of story more engaging as well. Thus far, everything that I've seen and heard about that game screams that it'll be one of the bests. January can't come soon enough.

BadWolf

The biggest problem with the game is that there really is too much of it. That means that the story really does tend to drag on and even though you play as different characters with different arcs, it becomes hard to care sometimes when you get so far removed from the main plot and are then brought back suddenly.

Though if you just care about gameplay and not story, then in a way it's a good thing as there is a LOT of game here.

It wouldn't be so bad if they at least let you focus on the core gameplay if you want but here they are forcing the 'gimmicks' on you, stuff like hunting and idol stuff should have been optional.

And tbh the final part of Chapter 2 with Saejima was an embarrassing example of fetch quest overload.

I know, isn't it great?

Joking aside, yeah Y5 has huge pacing problems. Just like luce said they added lots of stuff to the game and that eventually caught up to them. If it's any consolation the game becomes much more focused on the story and Yakuza stuff in its second half. I'll still encourage you to finish it. If only to see one of the most badass scenes in the series (and probably in any game). I'm sure everyone know which one I'm talking about (Yakuza 5 final chapter spoilers)
entire Yakuza clans kneeling before my boy Akiyama
. That was soooo hype.

At any rate, I'm really glad that they decided to cut back on playable characters with Y0. Not only that, but switching between characters after two chapters instead of one should help make each side of story more engaging as well. Thus far, everything that I've seen and heard about that game screams that it'll be one of the bests. January can't come soon enough.

Thanks, I guess I'll trying sticking to it.

Thanks, I guess I'll trying sticking to it.
Just stick to main story for now. I love Hatsune Miku so I did all of the Haruka stuff the moment that they were available but I didn't like the Hunting and didn't do any of them. Good thing is that you can always come back and finish side stories in Premium Adventure mode so speed running through main story won't rob you of any side contents.

I did enjoy the hunting stuff but I felt like it was too easy at times and a little more depth would have made it better.

I certainly enjoyed the Haruka part though, even though I'm not a fan of Hatsune Miku or stuff of that nature.

oneida

5 is still better than 3 IMO.

I strongly disagree with anyone who puts either above Yakuza 1 though. That game holds up much better than people act, and even with the wacky English dub I enjoyed it more than 3 or 5.

I liked 5 but the main story (and cast) wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. I was a little bit disappointed with it coming off of Y4 which is my favorite entry in the series.

oneida

Still amazed at how many people didn't really like 5 that much. It's my favorite after 2.

I felt that it was too unfocused, just too much stuff going on but not enough actually happening. I liked the opening so much, too! All the story beats it was hitting during Chapter 1 drew me in. But it dropped off a cliff for me afterwards, and I like Saejima.

ar4757

Yakuza 5 was great despite the length I thought. It did admittedly drag at times. Having Shinada was a nice gameplay switch as I like baseball and his moveset had some funny moves. Also this:

CW3NlthUEAAxi47.jpg

Top Bottom