• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yeah Bloodbrone is still Miyazaki's magnum opus

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Almost forgot that this game had an excellent "just one more run" mode in the Chalice Dungeons. They definitely could have done more with this mode, and I know some people didn't like it, but the fact that it had its own sort of narrative thrust and genuinely had more depth than I think it really deserved to have (for something I bet most people didn't really bother with because the main game was so much in and of itself).

I don't know if it was the combination of the PS4 being a significant step in what games could look like and SONY basically taking a chance on someone they had "let get away" and letting them make whatever they wanted to make, but thinking back on that game - I haven't had that much fun in a Soulslike since. I feel like this was around a time when people weren't trying to step on FS's toes (LOTF did come out that Winter) and things still felt fresh.

. . .and honestly the game still holds up, especially the gameplay (has any game like this felt as kinetic and rewarded aggressive play - I think OUTRIDERS comes close, but it isn't a SOUSLIKE). It is the first FS game I never summoned on (because I could never figure out that system) and completed - beating The First Hunter and The Orphan felt so fucking satisfying and even the most bullshit bosses (Ebriatas and the first Corrupted Hunter for me) felt fair in a way a lot of MIYAZAKI's stuff hasn't felt like since. Haven't played since beating OLD HUNTERS when it came out (I loved "having" to do it on NG+ because I had woken up) and now getting an itch to revisit it. I mean seriously, when you first heard this how excitedly were you waiting for March (I remember this getting delayed) to finally come:

Fredrik

Not really no. No weapons, no stats.
Could still be great, like Ninja Gaiden, but I understand your first post now. Build variations and the exploration is what’s keeping me from dropping Elden Ring, every playthrough has me thinking ”Oh cool that weapon seems interesting! I need to try a build with that one the next time”.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Could still be great, like Ninja Gaiden, but I understand your first post now. Build variations and the exploration is what’s keeping me from dropping Elden Ring, every playthrough has me thinking ”Oh cool that weapon seems interesting! I need to try a build with that one the next time”.
I played Sekiro several time even after platinum the game, what keeps coming back because as you get better at the combat the game becomes even more fun.

I guess people just want to play RPGs but I found refreshing that Sekiro is straight up action game, not every games needs to have RPG elements.

Last edited:

XXL

Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

Fromsoft's biggest strength is their Artwork. Bloodborne has the best Artwork, by quite a margin.

It also has the best story, in my opinion.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I played Sekiro several time even after platinum the game, what keeps coming back is as you get better at combat the game becomes more fun.

I guess people just play RPG but I found refreshing that Sekiro is straight up action, not every games needs to have RPG elements.
FROM games for me and like Miyazaki puts it are about the challenge. The loop of failing and improving with each try and figuring out what works for you and topping that boss is the best part. Sekiro created that experience at the highest level.

Build variation and just overcoming that with a RPG grind and level is just irrelevant for me. Taking that challenge and putting it in an action game so they could go all out on the boss and level design was the best part about Sekiro.

Fredrik

I played Sekiro several time even after platinum the game, what keeps coming back because as you get better at the combat the game becomes even more fun.

I guess people just want to play RPGs but I found refreshing that Sekiro is straight up action game, not every games needs to have RPG elements.
Yeah if they’re tightly designed I have no issue with those types of games, I’ve played Metroid Dread several times too and boss fights there are pretty much like fast puzzle games. But sooner or later there isn’t much left to see, unless the exploration is legendary so 100% is a struggle.

Fredrik

Lol no, Sekiro's "combat" is basically QTE, it's universe apart from NG.
For real? Is it just finisher moves with button prompts or what?
Oh well I have it on my wishlist, I plan to play it some day but you’re not selling it in well right now.

Danjin44

Oh well I have it on my wishlist, I plan to play it some day but you’re not selling it in well right now.

This is why you shouldn't listen to hyperbolic posts on internet.

Last edited:
Fuck Sekiro. It was a great game, but it cannot even touch Bloodborne. I won't even debate. Call it straight up bias. I want some kind of continuation that would make up a duology for BB and a BB2.

Danjin44

Is the read circle the supposed QTE moment? Finisher move prompt?
Once you break enemy/boss's posture you can do finisher. With bosses they have multiple health, the basic idea here is you need damage posture, its more important than just darning their health.

Fredrik

Once you break enemy/boss's posture you can do finisher. With bosses they have multiple health, the basic idea here is you need damage posture, its more important than just darning their health.
I guess if you need to be technical to break the posture it could be interesting, generally not a fan of finisher triggers though like in Ragnarök where you see the finisher icon pop up all the time. But I think I need to play it to understand it fully. It might be too difficult for me but if it’s cheap some day I’ll bite.

bbeach123

I guess if you need to be technical to break the posture it could be interesting, generally not a fan of finisher triggers though like in Ragnarök where you see the finisher icon pop up all the time. But I think I need to play it to understand it fully. It might be too difficult for me but if it’s cheap some day I’ll bite.
The combat mechanic here is that the enemy had a HP bar(or multiple HP bar) and a posture bar . Some skill deal more hp damage , less posture damage , some had more posture damage , some had fuckton of both but slow n shit .

The seconds is the more HP(%) the enemy had , the faster their posture recover ( hitting them/parrying stop posture recover ) . So its really hard to break the Boss's posture without bringing the Boss's HP to half first .
Some boss/mob easier to just kill them(HP) . Some easier to break their posture .

Last edited:

Fredrik

The combat mechanic here is that the enemy had a HP bar(or multiple HP bar) and a posture bar . Some skill deal more hp damage , less posture damage , some had more posture damage , some had fuckton of both but slow n shit .

The seconds is the more HP(%) the enemy had , the faster their posture recover ( hitting them/parrying stop posture recover ) . So its really hard (to the point of impossible) to break the Boss's posture without bringing the Boss's HP to half first .
Some boss/mob easier to just kill them(HP) . Some easier to break their posture .
Thanks for the details! Sounds more interesting now for sure 👍

bbeach123

Thanks for the details! Sounds more interesting now for sure 👍
I forgot one detail is after you killing mob by HP damage you can alway use finisher on them . That what happen in the video . If you dont use finisher after you break their posture they will recover .

You doesnt have to , but it heal a bit(skill) and you're invulnerable while at it so .

Last edited:
Especially the soundtrack. It's F* a masterpiece. I doubt they will make something like this again. maybe if Rayan amon returns as the head composer.

nowhat

There is no need for that, they just need patch it like they did with Sekiro, that game currently run flawlessly on PS5.
They didn't patch it. Rather, the PS5 BC with more processing power is able to handle the unlocked frame rate with (mostly) no issues.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Why did this turn into a stealth Sekiro thread? Fuck off with that shit. It's Miyazaki's second best game. Bloodborne reigns supreme.

Elden Ring is trash though.

Open world games are for NPC drones.

Zug

If the second part of Dark Souls wasn't so sloppy, it would be the best game of the series.
But Bloodborne is the best package overall : art direction, gameplay, level design, music, it has it all.
The absence of PS4 pro patch, and any later performance patch is mind boggling. To this point I've lost hope, and will just replay it with better framerate on a PS4 emulator in a few years.

Thief1987

It's how swordfighting basically works. 95% of enemies don't worth any words, because they can be defeated just by attack spamming, so i will talk about bosses and mini-bosses. They all, excluding one boss, have very few predetermined attack patterns, and your task in this game not just block, but parry their attacks. So parrying the string of hits is basically like playing QTE or rhythm game without button prompts, your hands just need to learn rhythm and that's all. When you successfully repel enemy attack it's now your time and it's mostly also predetermined - they took 1-2 hits, then they block two hits and parry third, after that they start their attack and cycle repeats. Swordfighting in this game is as deep as a puddle, it only looks good but playing it become boring pretty fast. There is no replayability, no flexibility, no nothing. That's why a couple of beasts bosses are best bosses in this game, because they play more like your typical souls boss and more interesting to fight. Game become an absolute joke when your hands learned rhythm of enemies, to the extent that i died one time on my second playthrough and it was by accident, and i'm far from skilled players.

Melfice7

The only game that actually needs a remaster (not remake) to have proper frame pacing and 60 fps and hopefuly the option to turn off chromatic aberration and it would be the perfect souls game. But it only sold 2 million+, according to sony execs thats a failure and not even worth being mentioned ever again

YukiOnna

Why did this turn into a stealth Sekiro thread? Fuck off with that shit. It's Miyazaki's second best game. Bloodborne reigns supreme.

Elden Ring is trash though.

Open world games are for NPC drones.
No thanks. Always use a Miyazaki thread to promote Sekiro. :)

Top Bottom