• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yo Driving-Gaf, does your car switch to off at a stop light?

KrakenIPA

I have to stop next to cars when I am at a stop light, and I've been hearing cars next to me turn off, and then back on when the light turns green. Doesn't that increase wear and tear on the starter mechanism and all that follows, just for a seven second stop?

Forsete

Gold Member
I have to stop next to cars when I am at a stop light, and I've been hearing cars next to me turn off, and then back on when the light turns green. Doesn't that increase wear and tear on the starter mechanism and all that follows, just for a seven second stop?
Yes, it is called start/stop and I believe it is mandatory (after insert year) at least in Europe.

I turn it off as soon as I start my car.

Rockondevil

Doesn't that increase wear and tear on the starter mechanism and all that follows, just for a seven second stop?
Nobody is answering the actual question. I’ve wondered this myself too.

It’s fine for those who can afford a new car but in my head I can see the next owner having issues long term.
I could be wrong as I have no knowledge on the subject, so I’m happy to be told otherwise.

Forsete

Gold Member

It’s fine for those who can afford a new car but in my head I can see the next owner having issues long term.
I could be wrong as I have no knowledge on the subject, so I’m happy to be told otherwise.
I read somewhere that they use a more solid starter motor to compensate. But I have my doubts, that's why I always turn off the system.

Kamina

Golden Boy

My father in law is a mechanic. He says the increase in wear and tear is negligible. But in the end that depends on the brand / build quality.

Last edited:

Peter303

My car does it but only when the handbrake is on and the gears in neutral. I use the footbrake at traffic lights etc so the engine never stops, I only get it in traffic jams. It also only works if the engine and oil are up to temperature and there's no big load on the battery. The restart is much quicker than a proper start so I don't think wear and tear is bad.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It is a feature on most new gasoline burning cars. It was introduced to help automakers meet fuel efficiency requirements imposed by governments. By stopping an engine when the car is not in motion it can increase MPG/KPG.

Mines doesn't. It's just a car with a key that you need to turn to start/stop the engine. Not a fancy new car with keyless ignition or a start/stop button.

I think the stop/start engine is required by law in new cars (or cars after a certain year) in the EU or some shit.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
My Benz has it. It is setting that can be turned off,but the car is designed for it. There is even a separate battery for it.

Thaedolus

Start/stop has been a thing for many years now. Yes it increases wear and tear on the starter mechanism, but vehicles that feature it should have more adequately designed starters to compensate. The flip side is you reduce wear and tear on the rest of the motor with reduced idle time and reduce fuel consumption.

I know people find it annoying (I do) but it’s not a bad idea in practice.

TransTrender

Gold Member
My cars do this.
For the BMW I shut it off once and never had to turn it off again.
For my F150 I have to do it every time I start.

As far as I'm concerned yes, this causes excessive wear and tear on mechanical parts as well as additional battery load cycles.

HoodWinked

The wear I believe is from friction when oil settles on a cold engine. But these are short so that isn't a problem. It's probably as bad as revving the motor.

My question for people who have cars with this feature:

What is the point if you are going to immediately trigger the car to turn back on by moving forward a few inches while the traffic signal is still red?

Last edited:

NickFire

What is the point if you are going to immediately trigger the car to turn back on by moving forward a few inches while the traffic signal is still red?
Speaking for myself, there's no point to it. Had I realized it did that I probably would have gotten something else. But I test drove in the summer when the AC was on, so I didn't realize it did this annoying thing after I bought it the first time I turned off the AC. :messenger_pouting:

jason10mm

Gold Member

There is no point, it's just to meet a government mandated MPG. But in constant stop and go traffic it most certainly will reduce gas consumption because all those 30-90 second pauses add up over a 1 hour commute. Probably a good alternative to hybrid cars reliant on toxic and damaging batteries.

BlackTron

Stuff like this is why I am clutching to my 2008, and don't really want a new one, it's almost like comparing old vs new game systems, or phones. The old one is basic to operate and fix and the new one is all ultra-engineered and customized with special parts. I like my old one full of bog standard Toyota parts with a regular-ass key.

Yeah my man, it’s been going on for years.
Even jeep wranglers do it these days.

For the record, I don’t understand it. We’ll I kinda get it.
I drive a 1990 Toyota SR5 Pick-up
5 speed manual
Manual front hubs for 4x4
I will drive this truck until it’s no more….

Last edited:
lol, I was driving with someone in their hybrid and I asked them if it stalled when we stopped at a light.
Shit, that was like a decade ago too, didn't realize it was becoming a standard thing.

Fbh

Yes it does but I usually turn off the feature as soon as I start the car.
It's way too aggressive in my car IMO. I think it should wait 5 seconds before turning off, instead it turns off the second the car stops so it's constantly turning off even if I stop for half a second at an intersection (or a bit longer at a stop sign) and I hate it.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
My father's Chevrolet Aveo does.

No idea if it can be turned of... can it?

Last edited:

Billbofet

My car has this option and the option to turn this option off.
I turned this option off.

I have had a rental Chevy that had this - think it was a Traverse or Equinox or some other generic box - but it was implemented horribly. You felt every stop and start to the point it felt like the vehicle was breaking down.
I have also had this on other rental vehicles where it is barely noticeable, so I think it's all in how it's done. Not a fan in any case, but I don't have much stop-and-go driving where it would be of more use - so I turn it off.

TheGrat1

This kind of stuff is why I love driving a stick shift....
It can still be installed on them. As P Peter303 described above it can happen if the vehicle is not moving, clutch is let out, and the gear selector is in neutral. I drive stick, too, but my car is cheap so it would never have this.

Soltype

All my cars are older and manual so I've never had to deal with this, but I don't think it's a good idea. I have avoided rear end collisions because I was able to quickly see what was going on and pull off in time. How fast do the engines re-engage?

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I don't know if there is something more scientific. But I remember seeing this video.

TylerD

My 2017 X3 does this. Engineering Explained calculated that generally, if you are stationary for more than 6 seconds it is more efficient to shutoff the engine and turn it back on instead of leaving it running while stopped.

I’ve found on mine that there is a brake pressure threshold where I can be stopped and have very light pressure applied to the brake and prevent it from turning off.

I do disable it in heavy traffic when there’s a lot of stopping for less time than would be efficient to do so. Mine remains off until I re-enable it or switch to EcoPro driving mode.

H4ze

lol nah dawg. My car is a 31 years old BMW, oldtimer with an awesome sounding 6 cylinder engine. That's no care you drive if you are worried about every single drop of gas.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yes, it is called start/stop and I believe it is mandatory (after insert year) at least in Europe.

I turn it off as soon as I start my car.

Yes, it's called start/stop but it's not mandatory, my Ford 2020 Fiesta ST Line for example doesn't have it, my father's 2014 FIAT Cubo on the other hand does 😁

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It's called start/stop, it helps efficiency in city traffic a bit, and cars with it should have overbuilt starters etc for it

It can further be a mild hybrid that lets the engine even turn off when coasting etc

Last edited:

Hudo

Interestingly enough, my Jimny (pretty new) doesn't have a start-stop system. Not that I mind though, since I tend to turn that shit off anyway.

Jsisto

Have it on my new Honda accord. Hate it. I’m sure it’s fine but it makes me really uncomfortable having my engine turn off, especially if it’s stop and go traffic on the highway. I always try to remember to turn it off when I start driving, but often forget. Haven’t found a way to turn it off permanently, don’t think you can.

I have a new (18 months) Silverado and it has it. At first I found it pretty annoying, but now I just mentally adjust for the instant it takes to restart before I start accelerating again from the light. Not sure it saves that much fuel, but it's not a big deal. For longer red lights (this town has some badly timed lights), it restarts itself before you're moving again anyway.

As far as the wear and tear issue, I just assume they design for it.

JCK75

When I used to borrow my dads previous truck it shut off at stoplights often... but this was because it was a piece of shit.

JayK47

I specifically purchased a Mazda to avoid getting a car that does stop-start. It totally does wear on your engine, starter and battery. It is also very annoying to hear it and deal with it when driving. I hate it on rental cars. There is a notable lag when accelerating. Feels like a stutter and something is wrong. A better fix is smart lights and less stop signs.

Top Bottom