• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yo Gaf, have yo ever been to a 'silent disco'?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I guess if you like going out to dance and don't care about not speaking to people at all, then it's fine. But for me it was a short lived novelty. As soon as you want to talk to a friend then you both have to take at least one headphone off your ear and then you're in this strangely quiet room with just the sound of people's shoes squeaking and a couple of people who are humming along with the music.

It's a strangely isolating experience that is modeled on an experience which is about a shared experience.

In some ways it should work, you are all listening to the same music, people dance in sync, etc. But at the same time, you're all detached.

I would say go if you're curious to know what it's like, it's an experience for sure, but I wouldn't expect to spend too long there.
Of course your mileage may vary and you might love it.

Report back if you do go!

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It was a neat novelty once at a festival. Wouldn't pay to go in one.

GeekyDad

Actually sounds pretty interesting. I would be interested to observe it, perhaps even record the acoustics of people dancing and interacting without the music being present in the room. Probably have some interesting dynamics.

I was in Bali, Indonesia during Ramadan, and there was an open-air silent disco right off the beach.

Talk about a juxtaposition: I watched the locals solemnly walk to worship at night while looking over and seeing drunk tourists dry-humping to music on their headphones

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Never been to a silent disco, but I went to a phantom orgy once.
Continue Season 9 GIF by The Office

…I’ve been to one on a cruise before. It was fun for 15 minutes or so then the novelty wore off and we moved on

H4ze

I was there, once, in spain. But that was 12 years ago.
The cool part, you don't have to scream like an idiot when talking to someone.

The bad part, no bass. And to me, it's essential to have fun dancing in a disco.

LordOfChaos

Seems like an interesting novelty once, but not something people would replace regular clubs with. If you take your headphones off to talk to someone you just have a bunch of people making weird shuffling noises silently lol. I guess in a sense there's not that annoyance of having to scream over music to hear and be heard, but, it seems like it would just be odd.

Similar to other poster, saw one on a cruise. It looked strange but was entertaining to watch for a bit.

If I was single I'd probably be more interested in it for prospective macking with random hotties.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I didn't hear it.

Aside the corny joke, there is one coming up soon here and i am pondering on going.

I know Evilore went to one.

GymWolf

Tried once in ams or spain, not my thing, it looks extremely weird and retarded tbh.

I like traditional disco way more, also you really can't dance vigorously with that thing in your head unless you wanna fix it every 30 sec.

Last edited:
Top Bottom