• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoh Yoshinari's Little Witch Academia: "Awesome free cartoon on Youtube"

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

The Princess and the Frog had a budget of 105 million dollars.
Little Witch Academia had a budget of 382 thousand dollars.

And LWA still looks better than the gaudy mess that was Frog Princess.

And also due to the fact that most of the people working on this project are, effectively, interns (for want of a better word).

Well, Yoshinari personally supervised (and helped) every single animator: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/tv/imagine/arch.html

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
animation is good but it still does not match Disney Quality.

If someone with knowledge may chime in... why it still does not meet Disney quality of yore? is it lack of keyframes?
Disney's old movies are actually animated at 24 frames per second, as in, they draw every one of those twenty-four frames.

This has more in common with Warner Bros. anyway.

The animation here is more formally interesting than anything Disney has done in a long time. Variations in frame rate, strong poses for key frames, and wonderful comic expressions crop up in just the right places. Disney's all about smooth motion, which I think is pretty insignificant compared to other parts of animation.

AniHawk

Should have just made it into an 1 hour and 20 min movie.

maybe, but they did a lot with 25 minutes. the pacing was pretty damn good.

i really liked that. kinda worried that a series would lose every bit of this short's appeal, but if they have a good budget to work with, maybe not.

wonzo

Banned

If someone with knowledge may chime in... why it still does not meet Disney quality of yore? is it lack of keyframes?
Watch this.
The Princess and the Frog had a budget of 105 million dollars.
Little Witch Academia had a budget of 382 thousand dollars.

And LWA still looks better than the gaudy mess that was Frog Princess.

p. much

so1337

That was wonderful. I think I'm going to watch it again with subtitles off just so there's no distraction from the gorgeous visuals.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
So it was noticeably choppy because it's 24fps and not because I downloaded it from YouTube?

I still really enjoyed it, and so did my friend. He said he saw a panty shot, but I only recall seeing skirt materials and no actual underwear or buttocks. Anyway, a lack of explicit fanservice is really refreshing. Every time I see a butt or chest shot in a children's cartoon, I wonder who they're doing it for and why.

Moonlight

Banned
So it was noticeably choppy because it's 24fps and not because I downloaded it from YouTube?

I still really enjoyed it, and so did my friend. He said he saw a panty shot, but I only recall seeing skirt materials and no actual underwear or buttocks.
Your friend is imagining things, or seeing something he wants to see. There's literally no 'panty shot' in LWA, every time the camera happens to face up their skirt, it's shadowed in. Their legs come out of a big dark blob. Trigger knows class.

Jex

I still really enjoyed it, and so did my friend. He said he saw a panty shot, but I only recall seeing skirt materials and no actual underwear or buttocks. Anyway, a lack of explicit fanservice is really refreshing. Every time I see a butt or chest shot in a children's cartoon, I wonder who they're doing it for and why.

Kids love panties, even Isao Takahata, the classiest guy ever, agrees:

tumblr_m6honwSPou1ru36xzo1_500.gif

mugwhump

Man, this was so good. Made me feel like I did when I read Harry Potter for the first time back in 99.

Every scene was filled with little details all over that helped build the world and characters, and the animation had so much damn charisma. I'm thinking back to the scene where Hermione what's-her-face climbed out of the hole and slapped the visor on the MC's helmet shut while they were talking. Just a tiny little thing that makes it so much more fun to watch. Of course, if they do make a full series I doubt they'd be able to animate it so extensively, but they've got a good world and good characters that I'd love to see explored more.

Theonik

That kind of achievement's not unheard of in the anime industry. Think Mitsuo Iso and his fight scene for End of Evangelion. He did it all—even the in-between frames.
That's not true actually, Iso did the first part of that scene, Yoshinari did the other half.
But yes, and in the case of the Iso cuts he did also do the in-betweens.

That's not true actually, Iso did the first part of that scene, Yoshinari did the other half.
But yes, and in the case of the Iso cuts he did also do the in-betweens.
Welp. Based Yoshinari again!

I bet Iso did everything for the sword-fight in Run Melos, though. I ought to go and check that.

jstripes

Banned
Wow, I actually liked that. The character design and animation had soul and was fluid, not like the sterile, heavily "on model" stuff that passes for anime nowadays.

tafer

Wow, I actually liked that. The character design and animation had soul and was fluid, not like the sterile, heavily "on model" stuff that passes for anime nowadays.

I think a lot of animation is guilty of that these days. If I recall correctly, going full on digital is the main culprit.

Izayoi

Banned
That was fucking amazing. Honestly one of the best anime I've seen in the last five years. Really great stuff.

I feel like I should've waited to watch it, though. Everything this year is going to be a disappointment in comparison. ;_;

Visually it was great. That poster in the OP is beautiful.
The cliches did bother me a bit, but it was fun still. I really liked the
ever growing dragon inside the iron maiden
idea. Probably not original either, but I don't remember seeing it elsewhere.
I don't know if I would watch a whole series to be honest.

The only anime I've loved (after the age of 13) is probably Chihiro. I haven't tried many though. Still have to go through Myiazaky's filmography.

Finally watched this, and it was flipping amazing. I really, really, really would like more. I like this more than Harry Potter, something about it just works better for me. Maybe it's because it doesn't take itself so seriously like HP does?

Iirc they do it on 2s, 12 frames are drawn and each frame is shot twice.
TV animation is done on 2s. Disney theatrical animation goes back and forth, depending on what's being animated. A lot of their older stuff, especially Bambi, was shot on 1s.

No, if it was 24fps then it would be incredibly smooth because there would be a drawing for every one of those 24 frames. Anime frame rates are all over the place based specifically around what action is being animated. Characters just walking or talking or doing menial tasks are shot on 2s or sometimes even 3s, but action scenes, depending on budget, can be shot on 1s. As others said though the jerky look of the animation is a specific style choice that they make, where they put more effort into strong and dynamic key frames then they do in just making fluid animation for the sake of it.

Theonik

No, if it was 24fps then it would be incredibly smooth because there would be a drawing for every one of those 24 frames. Anime frame rates are all over the place based specifically around what action is being animated. Characters just walking or talking or doing menial tasks are shot on 2s or sometimes even 3s, but action scenes, depending on budget, can be shot on 1s. As others said though the jerky look of the animation is a specific style choice that they make, where they put more effort into strong and dynamic key frames then they do in just making fluid animation for the sake of it.
Anime is almost never shot on 1s if not at all for the past 40 years or so. It's usually on 3s for TV animation with shifting on 2s for when it is necessary. In the case of LWA, based on reported framecounts, it was shot entirely on 2s.

Anime is almost never shot on 1s if not at all for the past 40 years or so. It's usually on 3s for TV animation with shifting on 2s for when it is necessary. In the case of LWA, based on reported framecounts, it was shot entirely on 2s.

Oh wow, really? I thought at the very least some of the bigger series with higher budgets and crazy action were shot on 1s. Just goes to show how well they've mastered their technique.

Theonik

The steps in the stair-climbing animation in Utena are animated on ones. It happens, just not very commonly.
Yeah I meant to say it's extremely rare. I could probably hand-count all of the examples in that period.
Edit: Note that Utena herself is animated on 3s on that scene while the stairs are animated on 1s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom