• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair Is Playtonic's Next Game

Bullet Club

Banned

Team17 and Playtonic Games have today announced a sequel to the popular 3D platformer Yooka-Laylee – and it's coming this year.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair follows on from the events of the first game, but it's not a 3D platformer this time around; instead, it mixes 2.5D levels with a Zelda-like overworld.

In the latter, you'll solve puzzles and converse with NPCs as you try to thwart the plans of the dastardly Capital B and liberate Queen Phoebee’s Royal Beettalion Guard. Doing so will improve their chances of conquering Capital B's latest challenge: the titular "Impossible Lair".

As well as coming to the Nintendo Switch, Impossible Lair will also launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. More information is expected on the game during E3 week.

Last edited:

-MD-

This seems like a smaller project than Yooka-Laylee was, I wonder if this is the only game they've been working on the past couple years.

Shaqazooloo

Looks good and the music is gonna be fantastic with David Wise and Grant Kirkhope, I already got those Tropical Freeze vibes.

Fox Mulder

Smaller scope could do well for them. YL was bad but I was interesting in their next game that fixed big issues.

Andyliini

Gold Member

Publisher Team 17 and developer Playtonic games have just announced a sequel/spin-off to the first game. This time, gameplay mixes Zelda-esque top down overworld with 2.5D platforming, much like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

No release date was given, but it will be released on all three major consoles and PC. Consoles also get a physical release from Sold Out. More info is coming at E3.

Edit: Looks like I was late, this thread ma be deleted.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I absolutely hated Yooka Laylee, but this being 2D is intriguing. Impossible to waste your time wandering in those barren environments this way.

Shifty

Not having played the original I don't really have much of a stake, but this seems like a step down to me. If they're still trying to push the IP, why not iterate on the 3D platforming and fix the original's problems?

Put it in the 'why tho' bucket along with Darksiders Genesis.

Kataploom

Gold Member
First we had Darksiders and now this... Maybe next is a Gears Of Wars being a rythim game?

Now srsly, looks good, I didn't play the original and this one may look smaller but in the end they seem to be putting much more content per inch (or how is it meassured?), and seem a little inspired in Super Mario 3D Land/World in when the camera is topdown.

-MD-

Not having played the original I don't really have much of a stake, but this seems like a step down to me. If they're still trying to push the IP, why not iterate on the 3D platforming and fix the original's problems?

Put it in the 'why tho' bucket along with Darksiders Genesis.

I would've been a lot more excited about a more refined Yooka-Laylee 2 than their take on Donkey Kong.

If this is all the studio has been working on I'm pretty disappointed. I'll play it but I expected more.

nkarafo

The best thing about the original was the free-roaming 3D landscapes and exploring them.

This looks like a generic mobile phone game to me.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I didn't play the original, but if they wanted to make a radically different game, I'm not sure the only part I would have kept is the character design. I know they were going for the whole N64...thing.. But the characters just seem blah and uninspired to me.

Certainly no spiritual successors to Banjo.

Stuart360

Not keen on the 2D nature of it, after how well they did with the first game. I believe the first game sold decently enough so i dont know, maybe this was made by a side team.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It will also see a retail release on all consoles per the Playtonic website. Looks nice, will definitely buy on launch (Switch version for me). I would have preferred Yooka-Tooie though.

trikster40

Despite what a lot of people said, I enjoyed the first Yooka-Laylee. It could easily have been on N64 back in the day. It was hard as balls sometimes and a frikkin collectathon, but I got the plat. Sign me up for the sequel!

Fox Mulder

Looks good, first one was too big.

The whole expanding level thing was confusing and dumb, plus they were just barren and poorly laid out. Banjo Kazooie would use notes to guide you around and highlight where you haven't been, YL just threw shit around to find in random places.

Still, I would have been interested in a second one that addressed issues. I love 2d platformers too and we don't get any on the PS4.

Bakkus

DKC ripoff. The visual style and level setup looks basically identical. Oh well, makes it just easier to boycott these hacks.

-MD-

DKC ripoff. The visual style and level setup looks basically identical. Oh well, makes it just easier to boycott these hacks.

I mean, some of these guys made DKC. We already knew going in they would be biting off of old Rare games, even the company logo looks like the old Rare logo.

Bakkus

I mean, some of these guys made DKC. We already knew going in they would be biting off of old Rare games, even the company logo looks like the old Rare logo.
But this is a ripoff of the DKC games made by Retro Studios, not the ones made by RARE.

Davey Cakes

But this is a ripoff of the DKC games made by Retro Studios, not the ones made by RARE.
I’m pretty sure anyone who’s played Returns or Tropical Freeze will acknowledge the similarities, but considering just how MAGICAL Tropical Freeze is, I doubt anyone will see a rip-off as a bad thing.

SALMORE

looks like a DK country returns clone ! btw i need to go back & finish the original Yooka-Layle game

Whitesnake

Banned
Why

Why would they not use the combined knowledge of their strengths and their mistakes from the first gme to create tan actually great 3D platformer

Why would they attempt a completely different genre

They already showed with Yooka-Laylee that they had completely forgotten about the intricacies and details in game design, art, and characters that made those original 3D platformers so universally fun and memorable

Why would they not learn from their mistakes and instead risk making completely different mistakes from a completely new genre

Maybe they’ll announce at E3 proper that this is a smaller side-project while they work on Yooka-Laylee 2

i hope they will come close to the dkc games
Yeah, same here. Seems like a solid game from what I saw in that video.

I like how the final level (which has no checkpoints) is accessible from the very beginning. Completing other stages increases your hit-points for those who can't complete the final stage in one go. I also like the "overworld" exploration which is much more puzzle focused than platforming focused.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It looks really nice. The only worrisome thing is that it only has ~20 levels (with two variants each), which is on the shorter side for a full-price game. Still, I will be there day one.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
I think it looks interesting. Inspired heavily by Tropical Freeze=definitely checking out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom