• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee- Review Thread

I'm sure there will be reviews like "this isn't open world, there's no cinematic gameplay, where's the minimap, this feels like N64, gameplay is nothing without a deep story, could have used more guns etc"

We've moved past "reviewing the reviews" into reviewing hypothetical reviews?

Review threads were a mistake, they're nothing but trash.

RockmanBN

Wow you guys are really going high with those predictions. I'm going with 62-65 opencritic.

Aren't games in the 60's range usually very glitchy or has a defining problem that makes the game less enjoyable as a whole? Even Digimon World Next Order (A game I love) somehow managed to get a 68 when the entire focus is to grind doing very repetitive tasks.

I'm sure there will be reviews like "this isn't open world, there's no cinematic gameplay, where's the minimap, this feels like N64, gameplay is nothing without a deep story, could have used more guns etc"

My general rule of multiplying by 1.25 when I know reviewers won't really appreciate the game and it would be capped at 8 will apply for this game, me thinks!

That's a nice rule. I agree, I fully expect reviewers not to understand this game.
Damage control already being deployed before the embargo even lifts, haha.

Guessing 7-8s mostly across the board. My optimistic hope would be an 85 metacritic, pessimistic/realistic is 70-75.

I don't care though, I'm getting banjo threeie and the toybox was exactly what I wanted.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm expecting some reviews giving credit for being a platformer, some reviews taking away credit for being a platformer, and maybe even some reviews that actually review the game.

Came in here looking for reviews like

tumblr_nnolqum6L81tliyz4o6_500.gif
lol

Aren't games in the 60's range usually very glitchy or has a defining problem that makes the game less enjoyable as a whole?

So you think the game will be another Mighty Number 9 situation?

From the demo I played, I'm not really sure that's possible.

That's only slightly above Mighty No. 9 level of shite though.

It's just a guess. I haven't really been keeping up with the game and what little I have seen doesn't look too good to me. I hope I am wrong and if I am I'll get it for the switch.

Having played none of the N64 Rare games, I have zero nostalgia for Banjo and whatnot. Backed this solely because 3D platformers are rare these days. I've played like two of them this past decade.

So I'm hoping it'll be more than nostalgia, a proper good or great 3D platformer.
But it was £10 like two years ago, so even if it's not...eh.

I'm guessing you'll see a split between reviewers who never liked these back in the day (or were too young) and those who liked the games Yooka is based on.

Either way, my copy was paid for years ago from KS so i'm getting it regardless of reviews

Not expecting much from this game but I loved BK and would be very happy to be proven wrong. I'm guessing that reviews will be not very good, but that fan reception (particularly that of backers) will be more positive. I just can't help but be curious about the game, in a time in which collecting mechanics are commonplace and considered throwaway for many.

BluWacky

We've moved past "reviewing the reviews" into reviewing hypothetical reviews?

Review threads were a mistake, they're nothing but trash.

I am disheartened by the number of posts that are just a number, the letters MC, and maybe a full stop - the recent spate of "ironic" MetaCritic score humour hasn't helped matters.

I'm also surprised at people thinking that reviewers "won't know how to review" Yooka Laylee. It's not exactly difficult - you play it, and write about things you like and things you don't. The collect-a-thon template isn't dated and archaic - it evolved into UBISofting, after all - it's going to be a question of whether the game's any fun or not.

ramparter

Banned
This review thread needs some reviews in it.

http://pureplaystation.com/review-yooka-laylee-ps4/2017/04/

"Yooka-Laylee is just what the industry needed: a firm, colourul, kick up the bum. There's lots to do, even more to see, and even more to collect. An expandable game that really does justice to the genre it's trying to revive."

9/10
Another

https://fenixbazaar.com/2017/04/05/...banjo-kazooie-game-youve-waited-20-years-for/
Yooka-Laylee is a fantastic game that delivers on its aspirations as Banjo-Kazooie’s spiritual successor. While it features a smaller scope than its inspiration, the game still manages to entertain and delight. There are issues concerning the camera and some control problems, but neither are worth writing home about. There’s also a fair bit of backtracking, but whether that’s an issue really comes down to personal perspective. At the end of the day, this is an old-school 3D platformer in almost every sense. It makes slight improvements on the established formula, but still largely retains everything fans remember about these sorts of games from 20 years ago. If that’s your jam, then Yooka-Laylee will have you playing with a smile.

PROS
  • Looks, feels, and plays like a ‘90s Rare game
  • Fantastic characters with loads of self-aware references
  • The 5 worlds can be expanded with extra challenges
  • Collectibles are streamlined and given more purpose
CONS
  • Seems shorter than its predecessors
  • Some minor control and camera issues
  • If you didn’t enjoy “collect-a-thon” games before, you won’t like this
9/10

Camjo-Z

This review thread needs some reviews in it.

http://pureplaystation.com/review-yooka-laylee-ps4/2017/04/

"Yooka-Laylee is just what the industry needed: a firm, colourul, kick up the bum. There's lots to do, even more to see, and even more to collect. An expandable game that really does justice to the genre it's trying to revive."

9/10

"surely a little map tucked away in the menus wouldn’t have been the worst thing in the world, would it?"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Great score though, between this and the two leaked reviews it's off to a good start!

That's a nice rule. I agree, I fully expect reviewers not to understand this game.

Yepp it works for me on games I know I'll love but reviewers won't. x1.25 on games on metacritic/gamerankings like that usually becomes the score of how I feel about it (just me, not the rest of the world). Generally works with party games but might also apply in this case, not sure.

Quick chart:

5 = 6.25
5.5 = 6.88
6 = 7.5
6.5 = 8.13
7 = 8.75
7.5 = 9.38
8> = 10

Super Bomberman R for example. 8.1 sounds about right to me (it's 6.5 on gamerankings). Quite a few reviewers gave it 5/10. Like... Seriously? Maybe in a normal rating system but we all know 1-4 doesn't even exist so it really doesn't deserve that.

Top Bottom