• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

TheJoRu

The library got this in, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow or Friday. I'm busy with other games, but there are a lot of holds on it.

Is it really only about six hours long?

Definitely not. Sure, if you rush through it without taking regard of collectibles then you can probably manage it in 6 hours. But you'll miss the core of the game if you do; it's very much about enjoying exploring these beautiful levels and finding everything. I've spent 23 hours with the game, with still a fair amount of stuff left before 100% completion.

You don't have to go for 100% to enjoy the game, but - with several exceptions, mind - the levels are generally not designed to be rushed through and are not overly difficult to complete per se, so it's a big plus if you are willing to do some collecting. That's where the difficulty often comes in, and it feels very rewarding when you collect all the flowers etc.

Definitely not. Sure, if you rush through it without taking regard of collectibles then you can probably manage it in 6 hours. But you'll miss the core of the game if you do; it's very much about enjoying exploring these beautiful levels and finding everything. I've spent 23 hours with the game, with still a fair amount of stuff left before 100% completion.

You don't have to go for 100% to enjoy the game, but - with several exceptions, mind - the levels are generally not designed to be rushed through and are not overly difficult to complete per se, so it's a big plus if you are willing to do some collecting. That's where the difficulty often comes in, and it feels very rewarding when you collect all the flowers etc.

Oh, I don't care about 100%. I just want to play through and beat the game.

I don't have time to worry about collectibles in games such as this, and just collect what I see/can get to without too much difficulty.

jb1234

I don't have time to worry about collectibles in games such as this, and just collect what I see/can get to without too much difficulty.

Then yeah, it's going to be a pretty short game for you. And not terribly difficult either.

Then yeah, it's going to be a pretty short game for you. And not terribly difficult either.

Good to hear

I have a lot to play and review, but I don't want to wait a while to play this one, because kids will borrow it and get the disc filthy. That'll drive me nuts.

Zing

Banned
So, no one here has ever tried to scan a yarn Yoshi Amiibo while playing co-op?

The one time I Tried to scan regular Yoshi, it told me to scan it while playing solo.

jariw

Wrong approach for this game IMO. You'll be missing all the good stuff.

You gotta be kidding...really? -_-

It's true. The gamepad needs to be on even if you play with another controller. Put it in the charger, but leave it on.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Please, think of your OCD...

Also, you're going to ruin the game this way.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
He's not going to ruin the game. He can take his time, explore levels as he goes and just not replay them for collectibles he missed, and still get most of the experience other than the extra levels for finding all flowers in each world.

I'm playing that way until I beat it. Then I'll go back and chip away at finding all the flowers to unlock the extra levels. I don't care about getting all the costumes etc.

Might as well not play it then imo.
It will feel very shallow if you ignore all that stuff.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
He's not going to ruin the game. He can take his time, explore levels as he goes and just not replay them for collectibles he missed, and still get most of the experience other than the extra levels for finding all flowers in each world.

I'm playing that way until I beat it. Then I'll go back and chip away at finding all the flowers to unlock the extra levels. I don't care about getting all the costumes etc.

If he carefully looks for all items and just doesn't replay any levels if he missed one, it will still take more than 6 hours. I only had to replay ~one third of the levels, some of those just to go through with maximum energy, so other than the more challenging bonus levels, this doesn't reduce the amount of time needed all too much. If he really just plays to get to the finish quickly, he will ruin the game though. Not as badly as New Island, but enough that his epxerience is not a fair representation of the game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough I guess. I'm not big on collectibles in platformers. It's a genre I'm mostly into for the nostalgia as its what I grew up with so I mostly like ones that are just focused on getting through the levels. I don't care about stretching out games as I have all three consoles and both portables so I have tons of games I want to get to.

I'm having a perfectly fun time just playing through the levels, taking my time to explore some but not being obsessive about it. It's still a fun, cute game and I don't care about challenge in games these days. I'll chip away at the flowers over time, but it's not a priority for me as I have other games I'm more into currently.

This game is just too cute. I'm not sure it can surpass the emotionally-invested highs of Kirby's Epic Yarn for me (long story short, that came out at a time where I really needed it), but the quality here just keeps ramping up (World 3!).

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being my GOTY.

Well, the library seems to have lost its copy of the game. They said it was likely transferred to another branch accidentally, so they've extended my hold/pick up date and will contact me when they track it down.

They've had issues with theft, so I hope that didn't happen here, more-so for their sake than mine.

Wrong approach for this game IMO. You'll be missing all the good stuff.

Please, think of your OCD...

Also, you're going to ruin the game this way.

Might as well not play it then imo.
It will feel very shallow if you ignore all that stuff.

To each their own, right? I don't have the time to spend 20+ hours finding all of the collectibles in a Nintendo platformer. There's no trophy or anything, and I'd find myself bored if I did that.

I'm not saying that I won't take my time and try to get things. I just won't go crazy over the collectibles.

I won't run through the game!

When I play Mario games, I try for the coins and sometimes end up with 3/3 or 2/3. But I don't try for 100%.

I have a lot of games to review this holiday, too.

Fair enough I guess. I'm not big on collectibles in platformers. It's a genre I'm mostly into for the nostalgia as its what I grew up with so I mostly like ones that are just focused on getting through the levels. I don't care about stretching out games as I have all three consoles and both portables so I have tons of games I want to get to.

I'm having a perfectly fun time just playing through the levels, taking my time to explore some but not being obsessive about it. It's still a fun, cute game and I don't care about challenge in games these days. I'll chip away at the flowers over time, but it's not a priority for me as I have other games I'm more into currently.

That's where I'm at and how I'll play.

Joei

Not going for the collectibles, I can do some levels in 20 seconds. The extra stuff is what makes the game. I'll be honest, I didn't know that going in and while I do get all the collectibles in the Mario, I thought I'd skip them here, but it really makes the game much more enjoyable for me trying to 100% the levels.

zroid

Banned
Not going for the collectibles, I can do some levels in 20 seconds. The extra stuff is what makes the game. I'll be honest, I didn't know that going in and while I do get all the collectibles in the Mario, I thought I'd skip them here, but it really makes the game much more enjoyable for me trying to 100% the levels.
yeah like when I'm replaying a stage just to get something I missed, it's often so easy to just skip past everything else. where's the fun in that?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
yeah like when I'm replaying a stage just to get something I missed, it's often so easy to just skip past everything else. where's the fun in that?

Like Chewie said, not going for 100% doesn't mean blowing through the levels. It just means going through them, exploring, but not worrying if you get to the end missing some flowers or yarn pick ups. He's not going to replay levels, I'll probably chip away at the flowers at least as I'd like to play all the levels. But otherwise I don't find exploration all that fun as a game mechanic. I enjoy the game for its cuteness and some clever level design and don't need to explore every nook and cranny to enjoy it. Especially when I have a bunch of games I'd have more fun moving on to vs. doing that.

Malus

Fuckin Wii U Deluxe Yoshi LOL. He's just wearing a shirt with a Wii U logo on it. It is now the one true Yoshi, according to canon.

Also credit to Good Feel for not doing the whole, "wait too long at the title screen and we'll show you a trailer" thing. I just want to listen to the main theme damnit.

Seik

Banned
Finished the game tonight with a friend and 100%'d a few levels after that because we were still hungry.

Holy shit this is a great game, I'm glad we finally got a solid Yoshi game after all these years. :')

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Took a break from Zelda to finish up world 6 (I had stopped after 6-6 :x). Really enjoyed the game overall, easily the best Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island. Loved everything about the yarn aesthetic, and the soundtrack was fantastic. Definitely hope people check it out even if they found some the reviews to be tepid. Looking forward to finishing 6-S and everything else up this weekend hopefully.

Chaos17

Well, as long as you don't bash it as being too easy because you didn't bothered to do the hard part of the game (like many reviewers) then it's fine.

Malus

Welp, just finished the last stage. FUCK PENGUINS.

Had a lot of fun with this game. Clocking in at a little over 23 hours collecting just the flowers and woolls.Everything was great except the framerate in certain spots. I still think the game could've used a more dramatic ending, like the final boss imploding into fireworks followed by dramatic orchestral music or something lol.

That boss tent was more challenging than I expected. Knot Wing fucked me up.

Malus

After getting a little more time to listen to it (due to dying repeatedly in Boss Rush), "Vs Miss Cluck the Insincere" is my favorite track in the game. Not by a lot though.

Got to 2-5 in the game, and I'm enjoying it so far.

I haven't checked the entire thread, but does this game do the whole save file stars thing like Mario 3D Land/World? Just curious since the one thing that annoyed me with getting those stars is dying too many times on one level, and as soon at that stupid overpowered power-up showed up I lost that shining effect on those stars.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The more I play this game, the more I like it. It's just excellent. I'm trying as hard as I can to savor it, too. I waited 20 years for a new, good Yoshi game, so I'd better make it last.

Danny Dudekisser

So do we all agree that this is the best Yoshi game? (Not counting the legendary Mario World 2 as that has Mario in the title)

Haven't finished the game yet, so I can't say for certain, but it's up there with Yoshi's Island. Might actually be better... the levels just flow so well here. And the music is on point.

Only finished World 1 so far. The regular levels are all fun and relaxing :)

Then I played 1-S :(

Managed to get all the items and finish the level at 1HP on my first run, I died about 5 times along the way though.

Danny Dudekisser

So what's GAF's verdict?

Kirby Epic Yarn
vs
Yoshi's Wolly World?

looooooooooooool. c'mon.

Yoshi's Island is Tropical Freeze tier, as far as I'm concerned. They're very different types of platformers, but the level design and the way they tend to introduce a new gimmick, use it once or maybe twice at the most, and stretch that idea as far as it can go, feels very similar. Wooly World also does an exceptional job of giving its stages a distinct mood, a lot of which comes from the music, which Tropical Freeze also excelled at. There's just a very high level of perfection to the whole thing.

It's kinda weird, because Tropical Freeze displaced Yoshi's Island as my favorite platformer. I think this game might have knocked YI down another notch. Dunno what Ninty's been doing to consistently deliver platformers like these on the Wii U, but I like it.

So what's GAF's verdict?

Kirby Epic Yarn
vs
Yoshi's Wolly World?

It's very, VERY close for me. I thought WW had higher high's and lower lows than Kirby. The transformations did a lot for Kirby in terms of mixing things up. It really helped the pacing. WW has the better core mechanics, but Kirby is more varied thanks to a focus on transformations. Level design is great and both, possibly with the nod to Yoshi. Same goes for the music.

It's very, VERY close for me. I thought WW had higher high's and lower lows than Kirby. The transformations did a lot for Kirby in terms of mixing things up. It really helped the pacing. WW has the better core mechanics, but Kirby is more varied thanks to a focus on transformations. Level design is great and both, possibly with the nod to Yoshi. Same goes for the music.

That's odd because the transformations were my least favorite part of Epic Yarn and even Yoshi's Island. I think Epic Yarn is to slow for it's own good and the lack of any dying really hurt it a lot.

I'm up to 2-2. Two quick questions.

1. When do you unlock the badge that shows your secrets (is there one? - I remember reading about such a badge)?

2. If there is such a badge, does it show where all yarn, stamps, and sunflowers are in a level?

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

1. When do you unlock the badge that shows your secrets (is there one? - I remember reading about such a badge)?

2. If there is such a badge, does it show where all yarn, stamps, and sunflowers are in a level?

After 3-4.

It primarily shows you where all the hidden clouds are, all the fake walls, and what jewels are stamps. It won't show you what the clouds contain before you hit them though or anything like that.

Just finished up the last two S levels and the boss tent. I was kind of disappointed with the last two S levels, found them both to be pretty simple. I think 5-S was my favorite, though 2-S I also found to be really enjoyable. Third Knot Wing was the hardest for me in the tent. I'm missing 20 something stamps, and have some levels where I didn't finish with full health, but not sure if I'll go back and deal with those things. I'm satisfied with getting all the flowers and yarn really.

Joei

1. Level
3-4

2. The hidden clouds will be shown, the stamps will be highlighted in the group of coins, and the hidden passages will pulsate a little. It definitely helps on some levels. Sometimes it doesn't help and you just have to explore a little better though.

After 3-4.

It primarily shows you where all the hidden clouds are, all the fake walls, and what jewels are stamps. It won't show you what the clouds contain before you hit them though or anything like that.

1. Level
3-4

2. The hidden clouds will be shown, the stamps will be highlighted in the group of coins, and the hidden passages will pulsate a little. It definitely helps on some levels. Sometimes it doesn't help and you just have to explore a little better though.

Thanks. Appreciate the answers.

jb1234

That level where you use the little penguins to create platforms was beyond adorable. One of the first pieces of music I really liked too.

I think alot of devs could learn from this game.

-Every level looks different from the one before it, its own unique theme.

-Every level or every couple of levels introduces a new game mechanic (Dog, clouds,
bubbles, etc) to mix it up and keep it from getting repetitive

-Simple to learn but hard to master

-Relies on its art style (granted alot of devs do this, but its still a good lesson)

Top Bottom