• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

@Yosp: PlayStation Plus Won’t Be Required to Record and Stream Video of Games on PS4

That's what I always thought. But it needed to be re-confirmed since whenever MS has a poor or anti consumer practice announced there's a vocal 'sony too crowd' that suddenly appears.

Durante

It's not like the share button takes up an important place on the controller that could be used for primary gaming functions. It's pretty out of the way.

I doubt this is Sony doing anything in contrast to MS. It's not even goodwill, these are things that should stay free as a standard. Hopefully more people agree and Xbox Live subscribers go down a bit and MS loosens up on there policies.

IN&OUT

Banned
tumblr_mhuz1u2Lzv1s5o3aso3_r1_400.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's not like the share button takes up an important place on the controller that could be used for primary gaming functions. It's pretty out of the way.

It's not like the "select" button was purely a button used for selecting stuff either.
If the share feature will end up being underutilized, it will just be used for other stuff down the line.

Mung

Bu bu bu Sony will do the same!

How many times has that been said about so many areas, from DRM to this..

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
PS+ doesn't need more adding to it to make it good value. It already is. MS need to "add" features because on its own XBLG isn't as good value. Though they seem to be doing the wrong things to try and turn that around.
I agree that PS+ was already a good value for a long time. Sony obviously thinks their conversation rate isn't high enough, despite offering a good service.

I still recommend PS+ for people that are only buying a PS3 at this time, because of the IGC. It's a great value and is just fantastic for people with kids, as they will always have something new to play.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I doubt this is Sony doing anything in contrast to MS.

Yeah, this is undoubtedly something decided some time ago. It's not a case of 'MS says one thing, Sony says the opposite'. Sony has fairly consistently been independently sensible since they announced PS4 (moving mp behind PS+ excepted). Microsoft just hasn't.

Hey, maybe they'll actually stop following in the footsteps of MS's anti-consumer practices where it actually matters for most gamers and remove their paywall for online gaming. I get that this will be nice for some but I couldn't care less about streaming.

Cess007

I will jus sit here and wait for all those who will say: "Who cares? It's a useless function anyway". That's the next phase after failed "If MS does, Sony will too!"

Bishop89

I dont know how anyone had any doubt. there is a dedicated button on the controller for god sake. How stupid would it be having a button which didn't do anything

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I dont know how anyone had any doubt. there is a dedicated button on the controller for god sake. How stupid would it be having a button which didn't do anything
In an alternative world it would do something: Show you a checkout page to insert wallet details. Exciting!

mitch1971

And to top it off Sony is allowing you to record 15 minutes of footage compared to the 5 MS are offering, I think.

It's gotten to the point where we're thanking companies for not trying to take a shit on us.

Microsoft's the best PR Sony ever had.

stryke

Honestly, I doubt I'll use it much, either. But it's something that Sony really wants to push - it's a key part of the system - and putting that button on the controller is a good way to put the feature in people's faces and get them to use it.

Maybe this doesn't serve an immediate use to you but what it does facilitate is exposure of games, even particularly ones that you didn't anticipate would entice you.

An example for me is DayZ. I had heard of it for some months and I am not remotely interested in zombie games. 10 or 20 vids or so later, I hopped on the DayZ hype train and was my most played game of 2012.

Was a button just for share really that necessary? I mean i could imagine using it once in a while but definitely not something with great regularity.

It's free advertising for Sony. That's why there's a physical button, and that's why it's not behind a paywall.

Pop

Was a button just for share really that necessary? I mean i could imagine using it once in a while but definitely not something with great regularity.

I'll be destroying that button when something awesome happens in game. I believe that will be happening a lot.

DBT85

I do have to wonder how both consoles requiring a subscription for online multiplayer of normal (not f2p or MMO) games is going to affect long term sales of both consoles in the same household.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This is why I have reserved and saved up for a PS4. Not for the share features, but for the efforts Sony are making to listen to gamers.

I just get the feeling that Sony, on their own, wouldn't even be able to conceive the idea of locking an offline feature behind an online fee.
And thank goodness for that!

Actually, this isn't great at all.

It's the basic expectation to use your hardware features without paying a monthly fee.

It's not that this is great, it's that what MS is doing is utterly unacceptable.
This is the simple truth.

Sony can't help but look the savior by comparison, when in fact most if their policies are just common goddamn sense.

BigDug13

I agree that PS+ was already a good value for a long time. Sony obviously thinks their conversation rate isn't high enough, despite offering a good service.

I still recommend PS+ for people that are only buying a PS3 at this time, because of the IGC. It's a great value and is just fantastic for people with kids, as they will always have something new to play.

It wasn't high enough. That's why so many of their first party games had online passes. They needed revenue to compete in online infrastructure and didnt want to do online passes again. They're already giving away free games and can't give away anything else. Moving a feature that gamers want to the pay side was the only way to have the money to compete with the cloud and other features.

Moxx19

Banned
Think about it though, why would they do it? They already have the biggest incentive behind a paywall and if people aren't gonna pay for that, why would they pay to record gameplay?

Actually, this isn't great at all.

It's the basic expectation to use your hardware features without paying a monthly fee.

It's not that this is great, it's that what MS is doing is utterly unacceptable.

In this case at least I think that's bullshit. Sony never planned to gate share features behind PS+.

Who would have thought that I would actually be defending Microsoft... but...

X1 recordings will be saved to Microsofts cloud, PS4 ones will be saved to Facebook/Youtube/whatever, so it's easy to understand why you'll be paying for one and not the other.

Streaming however, yeah, there's no reason what so ever to lock that behind a pay wall.

LCfiner

Maybe this doesn't serve an immediate use to you but what it does facilitate is exposure of games, even particularly ones that you didn't anticipate would entice you.

An example for me is DayZ. I had heard of it for some months and I am not remotely interested in zombie games. 10 or 20 vids or so later, I hopped on the DayZ hype train and was my most played game of 2012.

Absolutely agreed, here. After all, in the MS thread, a key argument was that this feature is free marketing for games and it;s still for MS to put it behind a wall.

I think I am much more likely to view content made by others than share my own. If I end up buying games after seeing videos that I wouldn't have otherwise checked out, then Sony wins :)

MS are in a catch 22 situation with stuff like this. It doesn't look great on them when they put stuff like this behind a paywall when their competition doesn't. Yet if they were to do a u-turn it looks like they are copying the competition and backing down on their own visions. Meaning they aren't leading and just following all the time.

Still they made their bed through all this. But either way it doesn't make them look good.

Tobor

It's common fucking sense that this should be free. Every video thats uploaded helps to advertise the platform. You want people watching as many videos as possible all recorded on your platform and discussing them.

How stupid would a company have to be to lock this feature behind the paywall? :p

SnakeEyes

Banned
I swear, for the last few months Cerny, Shu and Adam have been on such a streak with Sony's PR and the presentation for the PS4! It's great to see :)

I just get the feeling that Sony, on their own, wouldn't even be able to conceive the idea of locking an offline feature behind an online fee. Maybe after MS shows that people are willing to pay it for an entire generation... again.

Exactly this here. After next generation this will be behind a pay wall. MS will make it possible.

Sony+gamers = +1

MS+partners = 0

Im sorry, but nobody can argue with Sony not having gamers interests at heart here. PS4 needs to be their bread and butter. Their not going to step on our toes.
As for MS.. their like the rich kid involved in the industry just cuz they have the money for it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Exactly this here. Overnext generation this will be behind a pay wall. MS will make it possible.

That logic seems faulty.

Microsoft put a tonne of things behind XBL in the 360 generation.

Sony only adopted one - the key one - and it should be enough to drive PS+ membership without having to add in other things.

Party chat, media apps etc. weren't moved behind PS+ on PS4 just because MS 'made it possible' on 360. I don't think they're the key reason people pay for XBL - it's because you kind of have to if you want to play online at all.

Aytrial

Not surprised, as having a button on the actual hardware limited by a paywall would be a pretty big kick to the nads. I could see Sony adding additional features for it through PS+ in future, though not anything that is necessary to enjoy the core service.

Top Bottom