• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You are allowed to erase 3 games from your memory so you can experience them again for the first time. Which ones you choose?

Laptop1991

TES Oblivion and Skyrim
Fallout New Vegas and 3
Dishonored 1 and 2
I know that's kind of cheating as it's more than 3 actual games, but I can't split them up, and FEAR 1 and the Half Life's would make the list as well

Last edited:
The sample size is quite small, but the lack of mentioned VR games is quite telling.

Hard question, and I can't limit it to 3 I guess

Hitman, the janky af first ones. Not played the newer ones yet, and while the freedom in Absolution was nice too, having basically just one ideal way through the entire level was frustrating af, also finding it in the first place was a colossal repetition excersize but just glorious when working out.

Max Payne 1+2, the monologs might be considered pretentious but it's still the best story told in games for me. Not even deep, rather simple, but I loved the whole style with comic books, dark tones, grim voice acting, almost comical tragic hero and cool game mechanic.

Portal1+2 or Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines or Trackmania Nations/Forever or Richard Burns Rally or Wave Race or Superhot or Life is Strange1 as the third one.

Last edited:

Paasei

World of Warcraft
Hitman Blood Money
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2

Have to admit that the only game I would really want this to be a thing is WoW. Anything else comes after, so I just named 2 of them.

DavidGzz

If we're talking, I'm the same age and I'm reset to where I have only experienced the same graphics and games up until these games came out, I choose Diablo 1, Halo 1, and Street Fighter 2. If I retain my memory of everything besides the games I choose Dark Souls 1, Demon's Souls, and Bloodborne. The older games just don't hold up if my overall memory is intact.

GrayDock

Metal Gear Solid
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy VII

Honorable mentions:
Chrono Trigger
God of War 2 & 3
Super Metroid
Zelda: A link to the past & between worlds
The Last of Us
Demon's Souls
Batman Arkham Asylum
and a lot more...

skit_data

I was thinking about which ones I'd like to erase but they simply wouldn't be the same experience today because gaming experiences are to a large extent compared to its contemporaries.

The only ones I can think of where that barely won't matter are the 2D Metroid games and Prime to some extent, because they've aged so well (except some of the controls in Super Metroid).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
None. Let’s say I erase half life 2 or dark souls1 in order to play them for first time now…
I would not be able to fully appreciate these titles now. Playing them at release was the big deal.

Virex

Banned
Final Fantasy VIII, Signalis, Shadow Hearts 2.

Also this is number 4: Chrono Trigger

There are too many games I'd like to experience for the first time.

• Life is Strange (by far)
  • Outer Wilds
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Edit: I also think you gave me an idea for a weekend thread. Cheers, OP!

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Shenmue
FF VII
Halo

That's on the assumption I'd be transported back in time as well. In current times, it just wouldn't be the same.

swaffles23

nEdfvaa.jpg
rg2MFDc.png
5Jh8Mnc.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
That a bit of a flawed premise because if I can only do 3 games, then chances are that I won't be as impressed by them as I was when I first played them, because now I have the accumulated experience of playing various other games that are more recent, and arguably even more impressive than what was done before. Thus, I would ruin that original experience that I had with my most memorable games back in the day.

So yeah, no thanks, I'll keep my memories intact.

Last edited:
That a bit of a flawed premise because if I can only do 3 games, then chances are that I won't be as impressed by them as I was when I first played them, because now I have the accumulated experience of playing various other games that are more recent, and arguably even more impressive than what was done before. Thus, I would ruin that original experience that I had with my most memorable games back in the day.

So yeah, no thanks, I'll keep my memories intact.
Z7HeRxU.png

:messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

SammyNerve

Neo Member
DIablo 2 - Completely engrossed when I started to play this all those years ago.
Skyrim - I hope the next Scrolls game is worth of the name.
NHL 94 - Remember when you were a kid and you looked at the screenshots in the mag 20 times a day, dreaming about a games release? This was that game for me.

Top Bottom